Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] General: Wasteland 2: About 30% Finished and Awesome

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of my all-time-top-ten-life-decisions (hey, I'm 23 there haven't been many) is when I traded-in Wario Land on Gameboy and made off with Fallout 2. In an act of incredible foresight, and laughable PEGI standards, I managed to snag one of the greatest RPGs ever simply on the basis that I thought the 'guy on the box looks proper cool'.

Read more of Adam Tingle's The RPG Files: Wasteland 2: About 30% Ready.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

Looks fine!

After this disappointing shooter, which was falsely labeled as Fallout 3, I would really love a game which is going back to the roots of 2 of the best RPGs ever made.

Hodor!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by gwei1984
    Looks fine!After this disappointing shooter, which was falsely labeled as Fallout 3, I would really love a game which is going back to the roots of 2 of the best RPGs ever made.

I had the opposite thought, or the inverse one. Could Wasteland 2 spawn a first person RPG in a proper nuclear wasteland?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    I was disappointed with the conversion to FPS made in F3 so I am looking forward to W2. I have been tempted by the Steam "Early Access" but am glad I read this.  I will hold off until closer to launch. 60 bucks is generally more than I pay for a polished completed game.
  • GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Playing it now and enjoying it...but yes, it's still kinda clunky and unfinished. The tactical combat definately not upto Xcom standards but still fun enough.

When they actualy do sign off on it as being "complete" and out of beta, I would put it in the "must buy" category, myself.

I don't regret the early buy decision myself because it is still fun as is and I really don't have any other games to play at the moment which interest me.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    I am happy WL II is coming along so well, and I'm a backer, but what's with the hate for fallout 3?

And ya, fallout 2 was a watershed moment for me as well. But fo3 was one hell of a game. As the overwhelming majority of critics' reviews would agree.

I think both 2 and 3 are deserving of a continuing series of games.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430
    imo, wasteland IS original apocalyptica. in a way, fallout came to be just because Interplay couldn't get the name for EA. WL2 is just going back to roots.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

Sorry but the combat in XCOM : Enemy Unknown is just rubbish. Yes it's 'flashy', but tactically it feels like fighting with a broken arm; your options are just too limited compared to what you should be able to do (see Silent Storm, JA2 or even Fallout 2 for how to do turn based combat properly).

I haven't brought into WL2 ($60 is a bit much for a 1/3 finished game) so I'm not sure what the combat is like, but I'll take action points (AC or whatever you want to call them) over XCOMs system any day.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    I think $60 is a bit steep for me at this time but I'm very interested in WL2.  It looks similar to Shadowrun Returns, which I loved.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

It's taking a VERY large dose of self-control for me not to splash out on this "early access" game. The only thing that stops me really is knowing that it will most likely spoil it if I have to wade through oceans of bugs and countless re-starts as more of the game is slowly completed.

For my maximum enjoyment, I will wait until it's ALL done, and then heartily tuck in !

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

The combat was different from Fallout 1/2 to Fallout Tactics, and XCOM obviously is more like Fallout Tactics. If Wasteland 2 would exactly feel like XCOM, it would be doing something wrong.

Also, the new XCOM is hardly the pinnacle of tactical combat. It's the best new game, but just like with Fallout, the orginal series was better.

Also, Fallout 3 is fine overall. It's not as good as Fallout 1 and 2 where, but it's okay. They messed up with New Vegas though, it lost the charm F3 had. The whole atmosphere feels different. I simply find the lack of supermutants and BoS disturbing. Yes they are there, but their role is greatly diminshed over previous installments.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    What sets a game apart from ho hum and Triple A is the props and physics.If all those backdrops and props are static,you might as well dump players into an empty box.Everything in game should be able to move,shot at ,blown up ect ect.Otherwise it looks same old and becomes boring to play in a static world.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Why do people compare this to xcom?

I dont get it. Both have their own merits, and both should be different. If W2 does an xcom, the same people woild scream "xcom-clone". If you want xcom, go play xcom. Nuff said.
  • GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    Originally posted by acidblood

Sorry but the combat in XCOM : Enemy Unknown is just rubbish. Yes it's 'flashy', but tactically it feels like fighting with a broken arm; your options are just too limited compared to what you should be able to do (see Silent Storm, JA2 or even Fallout 2 for how to do turn based combat properly).

I haven't brought into WL2 ($60 is a bit much for a 1/3 finished game) so I'm not sure what the combat is like, but I'll take action points (AC or whatever you want to call them) over XCOMs system any day.

It's less tactical them Xcom. No interrupts, overwatch or supression. No combat from inside building to the outside. No climbing to get a height advantage. Generaly far fewer cover options on maps. Alot of the places you think should provide cover, the game marks as unreachable. Non-destructable terrain/cover. No smoke. Doesn't seem to allow for different attack options with a weapon (e.g. head-shot, snap fire). LOS seems a bit on the wonky side too.

Generaly just alot more basic and bare bones then X-Com in that regard. Though again,  it's a work in progress so I'm not judging the final product based on what I've seen so far. 

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457

I am old enough to remember the original Wasteland and still have it here somewhere on 5.25 inch floppies.  It was the game that got me excited about PC Games (Along with the Bard's Tale series)

The new game captures the feel of the original.  It is less of an X-Com-style tactical game and more of a squad-based RPG similar to Baldur's Gate or any of the genre in the early 1990s.

So far the writing and voice-overs are great and the quests are interesting.  Keep in mind, the game is in Alpha and not ready for prime time.  I have had a fair number of crashes but that's to be expected in early access.

The most exciting thing for me is a developer that went the crowd-funding route when the AAA studios have no interest and was not only able to get funding but was able to well-exceed the goal.

Folks we are getting game content we asked for - DRM free!  I know going forward, that's who will get my dollars; developers making games I want to play who listen to their audience.  Games like Wasteland 2, Star Citizen; companies like GOG - all deserve our support for keeping PC gaming relevant and interesting for us.

Distribution giants like EA who rush games to market, constrict the creativity of the studios for whom they distribute and lie to the public need to be sent a message - "No quality = no payday."  In other word's, I've added my last pre-order Collector's Edition to the 'Dumpster of Broken Dreams!"

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box