Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why This game will be as successful as SKYRIM and past ES games.

Comments

• QuasiModronQuasiModron Member Posts: 3

When Skyrim was released at end of 2011 there were over 150 millions of Xbox360 + PS3 units sold to customers. That means that about 10% of total console userbase purchased Skyrim. ESO is going to be released on next gen consoles. So far Microsoft sold 3 millions of Xbone and Sony sold 4,2 millions of PS4. How many next gen consoles is going to be sold by the time of ESO release in June, I would say 20 millions total is being super optimistic. But lets go with that number, now assuming that same percentage of console userbase that got Skyrim will get ESO, Zenimax can count on 2 millions copies sold on consoles.

The point I'm trying to make here is that anyone expecting ESO to sell even remotely as good as Skyrim on consoles is going to be sorely disappointed.

• LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223

Sorry to burst your bubble, though you might be playing TESO, you won't be having a lot of people to play with and here's why : 

1- D3 Xpac will most likely come out before TESO.

2- More and more people who play mmorpg's are heading toward Space Sims which will really boom within 2 years from now,  Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, Novus Aeterno.   These aren't you're conventional sword and fairy tales we got used to seeing since the early 90's. 

3- Let's face it, the RPG market is saturated to the point that nobody cares about new MMORPG releases.

Problem with a MMO / Online TESO is that Bethesda have put more time into the "online" aspect of the game rather then in depth game play and storyline we are used to seeing in previous Elder Scrolls titles.  No matter how you look at it or sugar coat it, TESO won't do as good as Skyrim.  3 way PvP?   *sigh*       Elder Scrolls was all about exploration and searching for quests in the most impossible areas.  TESO, all the emphasis seems to be put on the 3 way PvP.  I won't be getting it because I know it will be anything like any previous Elder Scrolls.   First rule of business sequels, if it ain't broken, then don't freaking fix it !

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by Jimmy562
    Originally posted by fistorm Originally posted by Ikeda Originally posted by Jimmy562 Most Skyrim players couldn't mod their game. 
    What pile of crap did you pull that random response at?   Frankly, since Steam doesn't release their sales numbers... you'd have to postulate (at best) to determine the sales of Skyrim on the PC.  You can take their highest concurrent users (something like 300K according to Steamdb) and go from there but you'll still not be close to an actual representation. Words like Most, Some, Lots, needs quantification in a big-boy argument along with at least SOME form of backing documentation.
    Also agreeing with Ikeda here, and 300k was just the amount of players who were IN-GAME at the same time.   Modding community on steam is at least 2 million or less who use and probably over 1 million who have tried/or made mods.
    There are a lot of sources out there that state the larger audience for Skyrim was on consoles. 

Here's one.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim-the-elder-scrolls-v-statistics/

Granted I don't know how legit these guys are however those numbers don't surprise me at all.

Since Bethesda is a not a publicly traded company they don't need to release numbers, just like Steam doesn't need too, i will doubt some of those numbers.

Especially because the 14% on PC comes from retail copy's sold on the *first* day without including the digital sales.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by QuasiModron

When Skyrim was released at end of 2011 there were over 150 millions of Xbox360 + PS3 units sold to customers. That means that about 10% of total console userbase purchased Skyrim. ESO is going to be released on next gen consoles. So far Microsoft sold 3 millions of Xbone and Sony sold 4,2 millions of PS4. How many next gen consoles is going to be sold by the time of ESO release in June, I would say 20 millions total is being super optimistic. But lets go with that number, now assuming that same percentage of console userbase that got Skyrim will get ESO, Zenimax can count on 2 millions copies sold on consoles.

The point I'm trying to make here is that anyone expecting ESO to sell even remotely as good as Skyrim on consoles is going to be sorely disappointed.

I'm betting anyone whos a console player that loved SKYRIM will buy a next gen system (PS4 & xbox) just to play ESO.

The main reason I never bougth a ps3 was because no AAA mmorpgs were on it.   If they put one on it, I would have bought a PS3 in a heartbeat... 

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by -aLpHa-

Skyrim and ESO are two completely different gametypes, i won't even dare compare them.

Agree to disagree, I have over 500 hours at the moment into my Skyrim game and I have no qualms with ESO. Not sure what your talking about, they are not that different.

and to the OP above me, I am one of them people. PS4 not only for ESO but for The Division as well. ;)

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Princess.ClaudePrincess.Claude Member UncommonPosts: 65
    They need to lift the NDA so we can have an open discussion about TESO, i personally got a lot to say, both good and bad, but i can't because of the ridiculous strict NDA the game is still under...with less than 10 weeks to release.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by fistorm
    Originally posted by jdnewell
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    For the people saying "Skyrim had way more console players than PC players"... no matter how right or wrong you are (and I think you're actually right), how many console gamers will be wanting to give $15 a month to play TESO? Because a monthly fee is pretty much anti-console mentality, disregarding the quality of the game.

I agree.

Many console players are not going to like the $15 a month to play a game, any game, regardless. In regards to consoles a B2P with micro transactions would go over better overall. The same ones who wont pay $15 a month will spend twice that on the res kinned CoD or BF4 map packs each month.

I personally do not mind the sub fee for an MMO, but with the console release coming soon after the PC release they may have alienated many potential customers by not going with a B2P & MT system.

@ OP.  The only thing I can see them allowing you to MOD in TESO is the UI, and have addons like WoW and a few others. You will not be able to mod graphics client side.

I have to ask because I haven't had a console now in over 5 years, and mainly because they have not came out with any MMORPG's for the consoles.   FFXIV is the only other online MMORPG that I have seen on the ps4 so far, and that's sub based also.   Does ESO have any other MMORPG's to compete with on the console?    First person shooters don't count as rpgs.

Is there is no AAA title MMORPGs to compete with on the consoles?  If the answer is none, then people will pay subs no problems and it will be successful paying model.  Also, since it is the same model as the other MMORPG on the consoles, I don't see how users would have a problem with that unless they just want a game for free, or are a teen whos parents wont give them a bank card to use on the game.

I am not sure of the numbers when it comes to FF subs on the consoles so anything is just a guess. I just cant see it being a ton of console players. Many of those are die hard FF fans and / or played the previous game on the PS. Like I said tho thats just a guess and I could be way off base.

The parts in red classify many gamers in general, especially the want a game for free part.  And that will be the problem for ESO in general. Rest assured that if this game was F2P or B2P then half the people complaining would go away. Paying $15 a month is whats sticking in many peoples craw. Not mine or anyone I know, but the vocal minority just flat out hates sub based games it seems like.

Regardless we will see in a few months I suppose.

• Would also love to see the NDA raised soon.
  • -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by Betaguy

Originally posted by -aLpHa- Skyrim and ESO are two completely different gametypes, i won't even dare compare them.  
     Agree to disagree, I have over 500 hours at the moment into my Skyrim game and I have no qualms with ESO. Not sure what your talking about, they are not that different.

and to the OP above me, I am one of them people. PS4 not only for ESO but for The Division as well. ;)

Since Skyrim is a Singleplayer game the developers have a completely different mindset how they will implement content into their game be it Combat/Encounters/Leveling/Graphical fidelity/Progression.

One of the big features that all the ES games had that i played was the scaling of content to your level, which i really liked. I could kill a big ass Dragon in a manner of minutes if i choose too.

You are welcome to agree to disagree but Skyrim is nothing like ESO in design for me, even their main focus is a completely different one.

I didn't go into the game and think this will be Skyrim online, no i had the mindset that this is Elder Scrolls online.

So i do not compare these 2 games.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by -aLpHa-

Originally posted by Betaguy

Originally posted by -aLpHa- Skyrim and ESO are two completely different gametypes, i won't even dare compare them.  

Since Skyrim is a Singleplayer game the developers have a completely different mindset how they will implement content into their game be it Combat/Encounters/Leveling/Graphical fidelity/Progression.

One of the big features that all the ES games had that i played was the scaling of content to your level, which i really liked. I could kill a big ass Dragon in a manner of minutes if i choose too.

You are welcome to agree to disagree but Skyrim is nothing like ESO in design for me, even their main focus is a completely different one.

I didn't go into the game and think this will be Skyrim online, no i had the mindset that this is Elder Scrolls online.

So i do not compare these 2 games.

Ya, 2 shottin a dragon with my bow was never fun for me.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by LeGrosGamer

Sorry to burst your bubble, though you might be playing TESO, you won't be having a lot of people to play with and here's why : 

1- D3 Xpac will most likely come out before TESO.

2- More and more people who play mmorpg's are heading toward Space Sims which will really boom within 2 years from now,  Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, Novus Aeterno.   These aren't you're conventional sword and fairy tales we got used to seeing since the early 90's. 

3- Let's face it, the RPG market is saturated to the point that nobody cares about new MMORPG releases.

Problem with a MMO / Online TESO is that Bethesda have put more time into the "online" aspect of the game rather then in depth game play and storyline we are used to seeing in previous Elder Scrolls titles.  No matter how you look at it or sugar coat it, TESO won't do as good as Skyrim.  3 way PvP?   *sigh*       Elder Scrolls was all about exploration and searching for quests in the most impossible areas.  TESO, all the emphasis seems to be put on the 3 way PvP.  I won't be getting it because I know it will be anything like any previous Elder Scrolls.   First rule of business sequels, if it ain't broken, then don't freaking fix it !

I don't really buy your argument.

1 - just because someone plays D3 doesn't mean that they won't make time for other games. Heck, I'm going to buy the expansion to D3 and have made the decison to play ESO (even though I have issues with some of it). I don't think it's going to affect it at all.

2, I don't see an issue with this. sometimes people who play mmo's play more than one. Additinoally, I highly doubt the majority of mmo players are going to suddenly be interested in "space sims". I think you are getting this from reading forums and that's just not good info. Heck, I prefer fantasy games over "sci-fi" games and I can't imagine I'm the only one. I think people will play a "good game" no matter what (assuming they think eso is a good game)

3, See above, I'm still waiting for my "fantasy game of my dreams". Just because a market has a lot of one type of game doesn't mean they are good.

If a person is interested in a good fantasy game then they will make time for a good fantasy game. Skyrim is a good example.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I'd say the elder scrolls series lives on so long because of modding, I very much doubt ESO will have modding, at most it'll have interface modding like WoW or something ( Sorry for the comparison, just talking about interface modding here. )

I don't see ESO doing any better then any of the other mmos that where supposed to beat everything else these past years.

Sure It'll be ok and run quite some time, have a good playerbase, it might even make more money then previous ES titles seeing as it has a Sub fee, but i doubt it'll have more players.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Your-Mom
    They need to lift the NDA so we can have an open discussion about TESO, i personally got a lot to say, both good and bad, but i can't because of the ridiculous strict NDA the game is still under...with less than 10 weeks to release.

NDA is standard practice by many developers. TESO is a story driven rpg (one can debate the mmo aspects of it another time) and even Swtor was under a prolonged NDA simply due to protecting it's story until the last moment. I find it amazing so many here do not consider this (baffling actually).

Another primary reason for the NDA is because many systems are still under change/development/testing. The release date seemingly close can be debated separately. 

Some companies are notoriously secret and for many reasons other than them trying to hide issues in the game. One thing that is certain is that the developers know what sort of game they made and why they made it and other than expected changes from beta to beta and many reason to keep an NDA exist beyond simply conspiracy (likely based upon business practice and policy ... few here seem to know that businesses are often far more bound by set policy than personal feelings dictate).

I am sure this game is the game they wanted. Whether it is the game the market wants is entirely another matter. There is ZERO chance anyone on this site will get a proper cross section of opinion with the rabid vocal minority here. Release date of both pc and console will tell the true tale. I do hope to voice my opinion someday soon but that will wait on the NDA dropping.

When discussing the subscription approach I ponder if Zenimax really expects long term subs at all or simply people wanting an rpg for awhile who come and go (expecting story to last long enough to make it worthwhile) and for pvp'rs who may keep a sub up longer if that system works well. I seriously wonder how console gamers will adapt to that. There will be a whole lot of begging to parents for a sub and cheap college kids pinching pennies. Hard audience to suck money out of.

You stay sassy!

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    For the people saying "Skyrim had way more console players than PC players"... no matter how right or wrong you are (and I think you're actually right), how many console gamers will be wanting to give $15 a month to play TESO? Because a monthly fee is pretty much anti-console mentality, disregarding the quality of the game.

I'm not sure about the $15 a month argument with console players.  

There are Access Passes that they sell for $50 - $60 right now for single player games for DLC content.  Paying extra for a game that console players have already bought is nothing new to them.  

I think what might honestly happen is that tons of console players will buy the game and play for 30 days to 'beat' the game.

What I think they should of done is go B2P with DLC content, but that's not happening.  I still don't think the console players will dismiss it out of hand.  I do think it's a tough sell however.

• MiserySignalMiserySignal Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Originally posted by artemisentr4
    Originally posted by MiserySignal
    Star Wars TOR was also an MMO with a hugely popular IP (duh), high expectations and ''looked'' great until it released and fail to deliver. Box sales and 3 months of sub maximum doesn't make a successful game as TOR proved. It has to be good in the long run to justify their production costs.

TOR delivered on the questing and story. But failed at end game and exploration. ESO already has TOR beat with end game and the open zones for questing and exploration. The options for end game including PvP and just the way the world is put together beats out TOR.

I don't understand how you can say that has already beaten TOR with their end game content when nobody is even remotely close to end game content. It's a frickin wait and see game like every other MMO out there.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Lol. I love the moving target in this thread.

"It won't be as popular as Skyrim because there's no modding"

"Oh yeah? Most Skyrim players play on consoles and can't mod"

"No they don't"

"Yes they do and here's the link"

"What I meant is that it won't be as popular because it has a sub"

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• QuasiModronQuasiModron Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Iselin

"No they don't"

It won't be as popular because unlike Skyrim it's next gen console exclusive, simple as that.

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by Jimmy562

Most Skyrim players couldn't mod their game. 

I wonder what the ratio of players still playing Skyrim is now?

Console might have sold more boxes but the PC game is still played because it is moddable. I doubt the number of current skyrim players on console is a big number while the PC version is still huge.

Take away the ability to mod the game from PC players and add a subscription fee unwanted by console users and you are left with an interesting "who is left" question.

Originally posted by QuasiModron

"No they don't"

It won't be as popular because unlike Skyrim it's next gen console exclusive, simple as that.

Well that's a much better target. image

Thing is (and both Sony and MS are counting on this) it will sell consoles just like any other "must-have" game does. And make no mistake, to some, this will be a "must have"... Expect bundles... If anything, this guarantees a steady influx of new blood for the console servers.

It's also funny how here we are, some PC players, moaning about $60 + a sub... how about $400 + a sub?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    ESO for casual mmo players, Skyrim for Elder Scrolls players. That is how I see it in my opinion and the reason why ESO will fail hard. When you make an Elder Scrolls game you make it for Elder Scrolls players.
  • MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359

It's also funny how here we are, some PC players, moaning about $60 + a sub... how about $400 + a sub?

Glad you got your computer for free.

My sums are slightly different: -

some PC players, moaning about  $4500, $60 + a sub... how about $400 + a sub?

Please don't include the price of a console but not the price of a PC to make your point.

(No problem with a sub game BTW)

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    I'm sorry but you are dreaming if you think ESO will even be 1/10th as successful as skyrim. The game has problems and it has a monthly fee. Never going to happen.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

"No they don't"

Yep. What they mean is 'it wont be popular amongst the niche PC gamers who like to mod'.

I would say the majority of Skyrim / Elder Scrolls players wouldn't care. Especially the console players (who I suspect will be the primary audience for this game).  I personally never used a single mod in Skyrim and still got an ungodly amount of hours played.

Only thing holding them back from getting Skyrim level sales is the subscription fee.

Originally posted by Markusrind

Glad you got your computer for free.

My sums are slightly different: -

some PC players, moaning about  $4500, $60 + a sub... how about $400 + a sub?

Please don't include the price of a console but not the price of a PC to make your point.

(No problem with a sub game BTW)

I won't include my fridge and other required home appliances in it either... We all have PCs of one sort or another. Getting a new one to play a specific MMO can happen but it's a bit over the top.... PS4 and XB1 otoh, nah... they're optional.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• theglenn3theglenn3 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    it just doesn't feel like an elder scolls game.... no freedom what so ever.  An on rails tour through a ES skinned DAOC.  I see it going the way of swtor,  so much vision not enough delivery.  

Optimizing PC games for consoles is kinda like outfitting your car for a bike trail.

This discussion has been closed.