Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why This game will be as successful as SKYRIM and past ES games.

Comments

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by fistorm

I once thought SKYRIM never could ever be a game that could be made by game companies...    Look at where we are now!

I'm reading your posts, and I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt in that you're typing all this as an excited fan with a love for your Caps Lock key.

But I gotta tell ya... The way you keep typing "skyrim online" and "online game" is giving a very strong vibe of "seeding an article with key words for the search engines".

And of course, each time you're quoted, it multiplies (which is why I've erased most of your post).

Actually I write like THIS to show an emphasis on key words I think are important for the reader to bear in mind when reading the post.  It's all for the benefit of the reader.  

100th post by the way.

Also, I love the amount of feedback on this game.  I think this game will truly be the next real MMORPG that defines all new MMO's after it.  I'm glad most everyone agrees who has played SKYRIM and has an open mind and will play it. 

Seeing all the SKYRIM reviews alone should tell you how great of a community we will have for the ESO game.   To share this world with them will be amazingly wonderful.  Like it was back the old days of MMO's. This truly is a game that many SKYRIM ONLINE mod people tried to make so that we could all share the same world together as fans.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Actually I write like THIS to show an emphasis on key words I think are important for the reader to bear in mind when reading the post.  It's all for the benefit of the reader.  

I gathered it was for emphasis, but caps lock key bit was incidental. The main point was the frequent/repeated use of those particular terms.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

I'm glad most everyone agrees who has played SKYRIM and has an open mind and will play it.

Where does that estimation come from?

Are you sure that once the Skyrim players will realize they can't "mod" the MMORPG like they modded Skyrim, they will still be that eager to play it? And once they realize that their freedom in TESO is very restricted compared to Skyrim?

I wouldn't bet on that.

Most Skyrim players couldn't mod their game. 

I'm glad most everyone agrees who has played SKYRIM and has an open mind and will play it.

Are you sure that once the Skyrim players will realize they can't "mod" the MMORPG like they modded Skyrim, they will still be that eager to play it? And once they realize that their freedom in TESO is very restricted compared to Skyrim?

I wouldn't bet on that.

I think one day they will allow us to have mods on this game.   Maybe not the ones where you can teleport for free to anywhere or game money affecting mods.   But since there is a large community of MOD players, I think they will allow UI and graphic MODs on the CLIENT side,  maybe not the SERVER side though.   I'm betting this will definatly be there either on Launch day or shortly afterwards when enough feedback is relased,   Who knows, they might even give us the CREATION KIT again for us to use.  THAT would be Awesome!!!  

I think this is easily doable and I bet they already thought of this before launch,  who knows, this could be one of their main top secrets every game company has before release!    It would surprise me if they haven't thought of allowing this already, and will do it, because they do have the MOD fans in their hands.

Originally posted by Jimmy562

I wouldn't bet on that.

More facts pulled out of.. nowhere, and contradicting what all players say.

Skyrim sold more on consoles than PC. You can't mod on console.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

What pile of crap did you pull that random response at?  

Frankly, since Steam doesn't release their sales numbers... you'd have to postulate (at best) to determine the sales of Skyrim on the PC.  You can take their highest concurrent users (something like 300K according to Steamdb) and go from there but you'll still not be close to an actual representation.

Words like Most, Some, Lots, needs quantification in a big-boy argument along with at least SOME form of backing documentation.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I own Skyrim and the older ES games and I will not be buying ESO..

I game with quite a few people who got into the ESO beta this weekend.. and they all loved the ES games and not one lasted more than a few hours in ESO before getting utterly bored.. now i must admit the clan I game with are not huge fans of themepark clones but we all decided to buy and paly rust instead this weekend and we have not put it down..

So no I will not be buying ESO OP.. i think its a waste of a very good IP..

Originally posted by Ikeda

Frankly, since Steam doesn't release their sales numbers... you'd have to postulate (at best) to determine the sales of Skyrim on the PC.  You can take their highest concurrent users (something like 300K according to Steamdb) and go from there but you'll still not be close to an actual representation.

Words like Most, Some, Lots, needs quantification in a big-boy argument along with at least SOME form of backing documentation.

Actually I got to pull up some data, brb.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned already, since i haven't read all pages here.

But alot of Skyrim's success came from it's endless mod-ability. As with former ESO games, Skyrim was made for modding. People created about EVERYTHING contentwise, from classes, complete towns, textures, sounds to awesome followers literally living an breathing on their own to whatever you can even remotely name -and on top of that for free. Then you can't take two steps without discovering the entrance to a dungeon, cave, mine etc... explorer's heaven. No problem to spend 100s of hours in there, i did so myself and still haven't finished the main story.

ESO won't be like this. People will burn through it within a couple of month, not knowing what they should pay any further sub for.

I give it no longer than 2 month before the first "I'm back to Skyrim" posts appear, from people who want to play a real ESO game.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    This truly is a game that many SKYRIM ONLINE mod people tried to make so that we could all share the same world together as fans.

No its not................

Also agreeing with Ikeda here, and 300k was just the amount of players who were IN-GAME at the same time.   Modding community on steam is at least 2 million or less who use and probably over 1 million who have tried/or made mods.

There are a lot of sources out there that state the larger audience for Skyrim was on consoles. 

Here's one.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim-the-elder-scrolls-v-statistics/

Granted I don't know how legit these guys are however those numbers don't surprise me at all.

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592

Heavy moded Skyrim vs  The Elder Scroll online  I bet a lot of mod lovers will be disappointed with TESO.

And now tell me how I would quit on this kind of Skyrim for TESO .   And because of NDA I can't tell more but you worst expectations are real !!

Zenimax could do a much more better game if they hired top modders. ESO is a game with no soul. Morroowind has a soul  and in was great even with those graphics from 2002.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Lol love the negative Nancy's in here.  Ever wonder if you convince people with your 'opinion' or do you just post to see your own words in a thread.  The guy loves the game and thinks it will be as big as Skyrim.  So what?

Also agreeing with Ikeda here, and 300k was just the amount of players who were IN-GAME at the same time.   Modding community on steam is at least 2 million or less who use and probably over 1 million who have tried/or made mods.

There are a lot of sources out there that state the larger audience for Skyrim was on consoles. 

Here's one.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim-the-elder-scrolls-v-statistics/

Granted I don't know how legit these guys are however those numbers don't surprise me at all.

OK, this is an article I remember from while back.   It talked about how many mods were downloaded on steam.  13 million times, mods were downloaded, so you know theres a huge amount of people that are using them.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/02/skyrim-mods-downloaded-13-million-times-on-steam-which-mods-are-the-most-popular/

I saw that site.  I also saw the lack of actual sales numbers on the site itself.

What complicates that is the fact that there were multiple "editions" of Skyrim sold.  So chart sites like VGchartz can't really accurately be used.

For example, the site listed 20 million sold.  But since we don't have accurate numbers for PC copies sold, how does he come up with his percentages?  I find it hard to believe that the PS3 (which was virtually unplayable) outsold the highly moddable PC version.

For the same reason, even though Steam hit 300K concurrent users, that doesn't necessarily mean their sales weren't 2-3 million.  No way to tell without hard numbers.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

To me the game has an Elder Scrolls game feel overall. I guess I am just not sure what people expected. I know what they wanted, Sandbox multiplayer Skyrim, but even after the information about what the game is people are still complaining its not basically MP Skyrim?

Will this game be as successful as Skyrim? I dont think so personally. Will it be successful? I do think so.

I know my personal experiences and feedback from friends is not indicative of much of anything, but overall my crowd likes it. I have 5 people that are buying it and all are Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind fans.

I just do not see where all the hate for this is coming from. Overall it is a pretty fun game ( from what i have played) and has the look and feel ( to me ) of an ES game made into an MMO. Pretty much what I expected. I think overall people who just generally want to play a MP ES game will like it. Those that wanted a true sandbox or are die hard ES purists may not.

I may be way off, but I think this game will be successful for the developer, if not in the eyes of PC MMO gamers.

Just my 2cp

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

I find it hard to believe that the PS3 (which was virtually unplayable) outsold the highly moddable PC version.

I believe it.  PS4 has sold over 4 million units already and has almost zero game support.

Originally posted by jdnyc

I believe it.  PS4 has sold over 4 million units already and has almost zero game support.

Perhaps.  I have a PS4 and have been using my Vita almost exclusively (at least that got me to dust it off and charge it :-P).

Console numbers are HUGE (typically) against their PC counter parts, but it's also another reason you need to be careful.  For example, I own a PS4, XB1, WiiU, and PC.   Which title do I buy for what?  Then there's games like Terraria where I own 3-4 different versions.

All I'm asking for is some actual numbers.  Just like, are all those 360 users still playing Skyrim?  Because I can tell you their PC counterparts are still playing according to Steam this morning (25-30K).

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Too bad TESO is nothing like Skyrim.
  • funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
     What do you view as successful as Skyrim? Selling a lot of copies?  Sure it will probably sell a couple million.  Will people keep playing and paying?  Well that's the million dollar question.  I have nothing but doubts on that front.  I think people underestimate the fun people have in Elder Scrolls games from just wandering around and randomly doing stupid stuff.  Sure you can argue how great its all going to be.  Cause nothing is a safer bet than an MMO fan who definitely does not buy every single MMO praying for anything to stick regardless of what warning signs say.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
     how many console gamers will be wanting to give $15 a month to play TESO?

i agree

Originally posted by MikePaladin

Heavy moded Skyrim vs  The Elder Scroll online  I bet a lot of mod lovers will be disappointed with TESO.

And now tell me how I would quit on this kind of Skyrim for TESO .   And because of NDA I can't tell more but you worst expectations are real !!

Zenimax could do a much more better game if they hired top modders. ESO is a game with no soul. Morroowind has a soul  and in was great even with those graphics from 2002.

I know how you feel, but I think they already thought of that, I'm betting on these types of mods will be allowed, Client side.   We are talking about ES here,   who practically got the MOD community going with the CREATION KIT...   Its hard to believe they wouldn't allow this in their game.   In fact I would bet my whole weeks salary that they already know this, and are working right now to put it in game and have since the start of development. 

Like I said, we gotta remember who got the MOD community fired up and even was the MAIN REASON that WORKSHOP is on steam!!    I think this is something that will be IN GAME.   ES started it...    Theres no reason to think they wouldn't continue a huge trend they started.

Give it time, lets see what they say about MODs in game yet, I don't think I have seen anything saying they wouldn't allow  graphic or UI mods yet, which might indicate they have that as their SHOW CASE before release!!!   They did the same thing with SKYRIM and it was a HUGE success!!

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    For the people saying "Skyrim had way more console players than PC players"... no matter how right or wrong you are (and I think you're actually right), how many console gamers will be wanting to give $15 a month to play TESO? Because a monthly fee is pretty much anti-console mentality, disregarding the quality of the game.

I agree.

Many console players are not going to like the $15 a month to play a game, any game, regardless. In regards to consoles a B2P with micro transactions would go over better overall. The same ones who wont pay $15 a month will spend twice that on the res kinned CoD or BF4 map packs each month.

I personally do not mind the sub fee for an MMO, but with the console release coming soon after the PC release they may have alienated many potential customers by not going with a B2P & MT system.

@ OP.  The only thing I can see them allowing you to MOD in TESO is the UI, and have addons like WoW and a few others. You will not be able to mod graphics client side.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by MikePaladin

I know how you feel, but I think they already thought of that, I'm betting on these types of mods will be allowed, Client side.   We are talking about ES here,   who practically got the MOD community going with the CREATION KIT...   Its hard to believe they wouldn't allow this in their game.   In fact I would bet my whole weeks salary that they already know this, and are working right now to put it in game and have since the start of development. 

Like I said, we gotta remember who got the MOD community fired up and even was the MAIN REASON that WORKSHOP is on steam!!    I think this is something that will be IN GAME.   ES started it...    Theres no reason to think they wouldn't continue a huge trend they started.

Give it time, lets see what they say about MODs in game yet, I don't think I have seen anything saying they wouldn't allow  graphic or UI mods yet, which might indicate they have that as their SHOW CASE before release!!!   They did the same thing with SKYRIM and it was a HUGE success!!

They are not going to allow these types of mods.

Knowing full well what types of mods are out there I highly doubt they are going to allow for bikini armor mods, flying "Wrestler Dragons"  and any number of off the wall mods that players can conceive of.

What they could do is add somethng similiar to neverwinter where players can make their own adventures. Or like ryzom ring.

That would definitely give great replayability.

I believe they will do UI mods:

http://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1925/

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by jdnewell
    For the people saying "Skyrim had way more console players than PC players"... no matter how right or wrong you are (and I think you're actually right), how many console gamers will be wanting to give $15 a month to play TESO? Because a monthly fee is pretty much anti-console mentality, disregarding the quality of the game.

I agree.

Many console players are not going to like the $15 a month to play a game, any game, regardless. In regards to consoles a B2P with micro transactions would go over better overall. The same ones who wont pay $15 a month will spend twice that on the res kinned CoD or BF4 map packs each month.

I personally do not mind the sub fee for an MMO, but with the console release coming soon after the PC release they may have alienated many potential customers by not going with a B2P & MT system.

@ OP.  The only thing I can see them allowing you to MOD in TESO is the UI, and have addons like WoW and a few others. You will not be able to mod graphics client side.

I have to ask because I haven't had a console now in over 5 years, and mainly because they have not came out with any MMORPG's for the consoles.   FFXIV is the only other online MMORPG that I have seen on the ps4 so far, and that's sub based also.   Does ESO have any other MMORPG's to compete with on the console?    First person shooters don't count as rpgs.

Is there is no AAA title MMORPGs to compete with on the consoles?  If the answer is none, then people will pay subs no problems and it will be successful paying model.  Also, since it is the same model as the other MMORPG on the consoles, I don't see how users would have a problem with that unless they just want a game for free, or are a teen whos parents wont give them a bank card to use on the game.

This discussion has been closed.