Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the next best MMO agreed upon by majority after GW2?

Comments

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by DocBrody
    GW2 is the best MMO? lol... we live in dark times

which brings me to the actual best MMO, Secret World

Some of the core elements are really bad imo, combat, animations and putting low lvl/skill players into the same BG's with the fully leveld/skilled is a horrible idea and the actual look of the PC's are all horrible.

The Story and some of the Puzzles are really good, too bad they fucked up the really important parts (for me).

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

GW2 for me was boring disappointment. But if you ask what would be the next great MMORPG that could turn the genre, Id say Star Citizen.

Wildstar and TESO while not bad, are just filler MMOs. With EQN Im still not sure what to expect

• vkejaivkejai Member UncommonPosts: 99

I guess it all depends on what you want out of a game . Are you a PvPer or Pve only , crafting heavy , etc. SWTOR is a good game but not brilliant , and imho there isn't a really good game out there currently.

Also I would not pin your hopes on ESO either unless you like the RPG control type games.

• redrain84redrain84 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

SWTOR for me. The only game I keep playing regularly.

Tried GW2 - played up to level 20 and can't make myself to play anymore.

Tried FFIV - the worst ever experience in MMO I've had - uninstalled.

Tried TSW and although I liked it, the horror style of the game is not to my liking - uninstalled.

Tried to go back to LOTRO for a change (have lifetime sub)... played one day and just blah.

Tried Tera - and I was repulsed by it - uninstalled.

Tried STO - could not pass through tutorial - uninstalled.

Sigh

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Thorkune
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by Nasa

To me your graphical comment is saying "ya, you are right".

Agreed...the second glance and what appears to be a hasty retreat, screams "I guess you were right after all"

Looks like shock / disgust at what was said to me. Especially the twist in his mouth, looks like he is going to vomit.

^ Thank you!  That's what I was going for!  Shock and disgust.  Finally, someone gets it. I guess maybe next time I'll just go with "I disagree with your post."  

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Xthos 
    I am not fighting the usage anymore myself, just going to use the additional words to define the sub section.

This is pretty much my attitude. Why waste time fighting a label. Just use the term as others do, as long as it is clear what we are talking about.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by blacksun23

And maybe I was just lucky that my first AAA MMO turned out to be a revolutionary masterpiece in the MMO genre. But so far I'd like to explore other p2p or b2p MMO's out there. I heard Secret World was good, watched the gameplay and it looked interesting though I have never played a modern setting MMO other than RAN iirc, and so I'm having second thoughts. I've only tried Skyrim for a couple of hours so I'm not really acquainted with ESO. So what do you guys think are some really good time consuming play-me-for-a-year-or-more MMO's out there that are well worth the price? I'd try them all but I kinda don't wanna waste money

First, GW2 broke the Holy Trinity concept which is sacrilegious. It did it so people didn't have to wait for a dedicated healer, instead of making healing a worthwhile role for everyone to play; and to make kills quicker. That's called cheap shortcuts for bad mechanics (like Blizzard has done with stacking Mortal Strike [-50% healing] debuffs so to kill people faster...than 2mins). Any game that throws their hands up on the healing challenge would do the same on other obstacles in their path -- and healing isn't the most challenging. Definitely not revolutionary in MMORPGs. They just wanted to attract some PvPers in the cheapest and dumbest manner.

Secondly, play more MMORPGs to see what's out there, because if you think GW2 was good, you haven't seen what WoW offers (and will offer next expansion, like updated player models and animations -- and WoW has some of the best combat animations that are Disney quality in motion, some of the best I seen with high framerates, even). Why is that important? For the time you will be out in the world killing things, or if you're like me, like to shoot tons of videos and the animations don't lag behind. Let alone they have this wonderful paladin sub-class, that isn't a priest, but a paladin. A plate wearer who can fight upfront melee style (more like a tank), or hang back to cast like a ranged DPS...and the only class to wear intellect plate. Every bit the healer, or in a pinch a quick and more agile tank.

Get out there and try more games. Then pick them not because the price tag. That's gimping yourself of the best MMORPGs.

Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris

First, GW2 broke the Holy Trinity concept which is sacrilegious. It did it so people didn't have to wait for a dedicated healer, instead of making healing a worthwhile role for everyone to play; and to make kills quicker.

I applaud them for willing to change, and realize that not everyone wants to depend on others for their fun.

Personally i don't like healing, so it is a good thing for me. I don't care if healing is worthwhile to play in a game. And the action combat in GW2 is a cut above WoW, for me, of course.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

First, GW2 broke the Holy Trinity concept which is sacrilegious. It did it so people didn't have to wait for a dedicated healer, instead of making healing a worthwhile role for everyone to play; and to make kills quicker.

I applaud them for willing to change, and realize that not everyone wants to depend on others for their fun.

Personally i don't like healing, so it is a good thing for me. I don't care if healing is worthwhile to play in a game. And the action combat in GW2 is a cut above WoW, for me, of course.

Huh?

If you (you know the guy who brags about playing solo so much) were a Holy paladin you wouldn't be so dependent in the first place.

Who needs DPS?

I have plate armor.

I have a 1H weapon.

I have a shield.

My Holy Shocks can shock the mess out of an enemy (110k self-buffed crits in so-so gear), or heal them.

My Holy Prism or Hammer can damage + heal.

My Denouces prevent the enemy to crit (no warlocks no more critting Chaos bolts).

My Crusader Strike builds Holy power so I can use it to massively heal the most damaged, or, turn it around to damage foes.

My Lay of Hands is the biggest heal besides from God Himself.

And if the crap hits the fan, my Divine Shield makes me invincible.

Oh, and I am a dedicated healer, too. :)

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

I have no more answers to these questions because it seems each game that releases promises players things they can never deliver.

Each time I am more and more disappointed by these mmos that come out and are more casual, easier, simple and very shallow.

The RPG element needs to come out of MMORPG because none of these games are roleplaying anymore.  Having a role based game (tank, healer, dps, support, etc) doesn't make it an RPG.  The lore gets weaker, the stories get weaker, the worlds become smaller and more lobby based.

I have stopped watching trailers, reading previews, streams, etc of all games that have not released yet.  The way publishers hype their games these days is overwhelming.

I ignored everything about TESO up until this weekend.  Was very excited to try it with an unbiased mindset.  Wow, was I disappointed.  It's the same crap man.  A good argument could be that the more seasoned you become in the mmo games, the less and less innovative they seem.  For someone, ex.  I was just talking to someone who never played an MMO before until GW2 and he was extremely overwhelmed by the UI, combat, and entire concept of the game.  He had a blast once he understood it and his reactions reminded me of the first time I stepped into my first mmo.

I don't really have an ending to this post but those are my thoughts.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

If you (you know the guy who brags about playing solo so much) were a Holy paladin you wouldn't be so dependent in the first place.

I am not, and the holy pally is not the class i like to play.

It is the job of the game to cater to me if they want my time or money. I don't change my play style to suit games. There are plenty of fun games that cater to me, that i don't really have to tolerate anything.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    The term "best" is subjective but I think GW2 has advanced the themepark design the farthest. Even ARR, though a good MMO, is very limited due to its adherence to classic themepark trappings.

The next in line as a fully developed themepark? Both ESO and Wildstar seem to be good but WS Seems to have more facets of gameplay. If one wants to build Landmark looks to be very impressive but won't have questing or an in depth combat system right away.
  • GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

After GW2? Hmm GW2 is really excellent at so many things (Music, Graphics, Open world feel, combat feel ) - I do agree its the best MMO right now. (It's too bad its to big innovations (lack of holy trinity and lack of gear grind) just don't work and suck the addictiveness out of it - as they simply don't work.

GW2 is kinda like a Ferrari with an automatic. Everyone still really loves it - but its not as addictive as an old school model with a gated manual shifter. Its easy to drive - if still fun if you get it out on the track and know what you are doing.

I think Wildstar will fix all this..

If we ignore WoW (which has an archaic combat engine and primitive albeit well done graphics)..I go for SWTOR - the best WoW clone.

In short..

GW2 - awesome but not a long running experience because of design decisions.

WoW - stupid recent changes but enough goodness and amazing polish carry it through - but the old school trinity still rules.

SWTOR - annoying because its WoW in space and that doesn't make sense to humans. Why tank laser beams? Huh? If any game should be shooter style its SWTOR. But it does benefit from a big budget..

FFXIV - I will admit Rift and some other games might be better. But this game is slighty better then the some of its parts. Lousy music - strangely horrible questing - and derivative wow style gameplay - come together to be surpisingly playable.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Deleted User
    You should edit GW2 out of your block of text OP, now the entire thread will be based about it being the legitimate leader.

You should listen to Amjoco on this one. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but around here if your opinion is that you like GW2, then you're wrong.

Nah,  you can like GW2, but no way in hell can you argue its "The best". I like games that can be considered 'decent' or bad, nothing wrong with it. Just things get fishy when you claim a "Medocre at best" game as Best MMO, particularly by the "Majority" (Which I'd highly doubt).

Do NOT make a post highlighting something like that. Sure, say "I enjoy GW2 a lot" and you know what thats perfectly fine, but you can't go about making claims that aren't remotely true.

That being said ignoring the rather silly comment the OP made... Secret World is a pretty good MMo, particularly if you liked the combat in GW2. Its a bit slippery and a little iffy much like GW2 with its rather 'meh' combat system but if you like that feel its very close. Its more focused on "quests" though it accomplishes it in different ways from normal, building a sense of mystery and awe which can be entertaining. I personally found more respect for the game despite its combat being an issue much like GW2 just due to the fact it does a good job creating a world and changing up things far more from the normal in an MMo which you might enjoy.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    You should edit GW2 out of your block of text OP, now the entire thread will be based about it being the legitimate leader.

You should listen to Amjoco on this one. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but around here if your opinion is that you like GW2, then you're wrong.

Nah,  you can like GW2, but no way in hell can you argue its "The best". I like games that can be considered 'decent' or bad, nothing wrong with it. Just things get fishy when you claim a "Medocre at best" game as Best MMO, particularly by the "Majority" (Which I'd highly doubt).

Do NOT make a post highlighting something like that. Sure, say "I enjoy GW2 a lot" and you know what thats perfectly fine, but you can't go about making claims that aren't remotely true.

So no one should argue that "GW2 is the best MMO", because you think it's only "mediocre at best"? Get off your horse.

It's the best MMO I've played. If there's any other that beats it I'd be playing it, not GW2, whether free or sub-based.

Originally posted by Purutzil

Of course he can.

Good, better, best .. are all subjective. I don't see why the OP cannot consider GW2 to be the best. I certainly have a different preference. I think D3 is the best.

But hey, i don't push my preference on him. Neither should you .. not that it will matter.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I'm guessing 90% of GW2s WvW players will be switching to ESO's AvA. I also bet that they are trying like hell to release their new map within two weeks of ESO's launch.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538
    Originally posted by bcbully
    I'm guessing 90% of GW2s WvW players will be switching to ESO's AvA. I also bet that they are trying like hell to release their new map within two weeks of ESO's launch.

You are assuming ESO isn't terrible, fact is it is.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Carl132p
    Originally posted by bcbully

You are assuming ESO isn't terrible, fact is it is.

We'll see.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

We can probably estimate how the "majority" feels about MMOs by subscriber numbers, that said the 3 best MMOs by majority would probably be:

1.  World of Warcraft

2.  Guild Wars 2

3.  Aion?  (I'm not sure about this one)

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

I wonder if the majority of gamers agrees that the sky is blue.

"It isn't, it just absorbs every color present in sunlight except blue"...and they're off!

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Thorkune
    Originally posted by Nasa

To me your graphical comment is saying "ya, you are right".

Agreed...the second glance and what appears to be a hasty retreat, screams "I guess you were right after all"

Hmm, interesting.  I'd always used it to mean , "You didn't just say what I think you did, did you?"

That would need more of a "what are you, stupid?" look, wouldn't it? This guy looks like more of an "embarrassed defeat and retreat" look.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• blacksun23blacksun23 Member Posts: 6

Not trolling or trying to nab glances, I honestly didn't expect my question to cause such a stir. I just wanted to know what the next good MMO is, I guess I may have picked the wrong word or "majority" is pretty ambiguous. I guess what I meant was in a sort of ratings and review way, like if I filtered MMO's by rating/hype in mmorpg.com atm GW2 comes out on top.

I'm also not trying to bandwagon, like I said I'm sort of a ratings guy, it's the same as how I anticipate movies before I watch em, I visit Rotten Tomatoes, IMDB, Jeremy Jahns as well as googling other people/websites reviews to know what to expect(sometimes I dont agree with them, but it's nice to have a grasp of what I'm going to get, wouldn't want to waste my money on a Garry's Incident or a The Legend of Hercules.). I'd just like to have a sort of feel for what I'm going to encounter from people who experienced it firsthand not unlike trailers which as you guys said, sometimes exaggerates it and shows features which aren't there.

Also not a GW2 fanboy, if I had a fave MMO that would be FreeStyle online which unfortunately I can't play decently because of the lag caused by certain internet providers having weak connections to the server(?). 

I have 3 MMO's which I am looking forward to, EQ Next, SC, and The Division. But since they won't be released in like a year or I don't know, I figured I'd ask opinions on great games worth playing for a year like GW2, which I had a blast with but in the end the updates started to get boring. Not really good at writing formal stuff or w/e you call it, so I hope this time my disproportionate grill will fare better than my horrendous wall :D

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

If GW2 is the greatest game out there then Steve Jobs is, in fact, an inventor despite taking existing technologies and throwing them into a single box.

#magic

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

First thing's first:  Paragraphs.  Use them.

Second:  Your post is seems to assume GW2 is the best MMO out there.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  "Revolutionary Masterpiece?"  Nice to meet you, Colin Johanson.  

Third:  WildStar is the answer.  

Yep. No such thing as "best" MMO.

It's all about personal taste.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

This discussion has been closed.