Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else think the free players on SWTOR are restricted too much?

Comments

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Originally posted by gluurs
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

The restrictions are the reason why I quit. I can't play like that.

Did you switch to another game? and if so what game?

Rift has the very best FTP model of all mmorpogs imo, check it out.  If you don;t mind purchasing the box then GW2 is also great.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Absolutely. I personally did not care to play the game initially but my wife wanted to give it a shot so we bought 2 copies and played. Our interest was not held past the initial 30 days partly due to the game not being worth the $30 a month to play, but also because other games were coming out. Now when the game went free we told ourselves we would give it another shot and if the game wasn't too different, we would throw some money their way since we aren't subbed to any other game.

What we found was that the F2P model in place took away far too many features. My wife was annoyed that she couldn't make any of the races she wanted and I was annoyed because it felt like I was spending more time trying to figure out how to remove restrictions rather than just enjoying the game. As paying customers, I didn't understand why so many features were taken away. Maybe other people will have different opinions on this and no I do not suffer from entitlement issues. But as it stands, they will not receive a dime from us when we would have invested a little had their model be fair. I am fully aware that  the roadblocks could be lifted by subbing, but that takes us back to square one where we didn't feel the game was worth $30 a month. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

Originally posted by klash2def

nah i think the free kids on swtor have a "im entitled cause im free" persona. and its annoying. you get what you pay for. why do you guys continue to expect to be on the level of paying customers when you haven't paid at all?  wtf all you gotta do is by ONE thing and you arent f2p anymore.. you cant be serious. youre not entitled to "free game"  IMO it devalues the game to allow you people to play. The game wouldve been much better off to go with a smaller group of subs who pay their 15$ a month. Some games are built for F2p and it works for them.. SWTOR only went this route it seems out of panic. I am still a sub in hopes they are going to use my money to better the game. Hell even the preferred access people have some say so cause at least they care enough to spend money.. at the end whatever your reason to buy cartel stuff you are helping the game dev with your $ so maybe in the future the game gets better.. the option to play 100% free is only to let you try the game. you try it.. TRY.. like a sample at the grocery store. you dont take a sample of yogurt then demand they give you a full carton of yogurt for FREE.. wtf...

gtfoh you f2p people need to shut the hell up and enjoy the damn show. 

Read my comment above. I was a paying customer not a "free kid" and I have issues with it. BTW, buying that one thing still leaves you terribly restricted. They would have received some money to further the development from us but instead when we logged in we found that stuff we already paid for was taken away. I don't know why I bother to respond because by your tone your opinion is the only one that matters. 

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by FlawSGI

nah i think the free kids on swtor have a "im entitled cause im free" persona. and its annoying. you get what you pay for. why do you guys continue to expect to be on the level of paying customers when you haven't paid at all?  wtf all you gotta do is by ONE thing and you arent f2p anymore.. you cant be serious. youre not entitled to "free game"  IMO it devalues the game to allow you people to play. The game wouldve been much better off to go with a smaller group of subs who pay their 15$ a month. Some games are built for F2p and it works for them.. SWTOR only went this route it seems out of panic. I am still a sub in hopes they are going to use my money to better the game. Hell even the preferred access people have some say so cause at least they care enough to spend money.. at the end whatever your reason to buy cartel stuff you are helping the game dev with your $ so maybe in the future the game gets better.. the option to play 100% free is only to let you try the game. you try it.. TRY.. like a sample at the grocery store. you dont take a sample of yogurt then demand they give you a full carton of yogurt for FREE.. wtf...

Read my comment above. I was a paying customer not a "free kid" and I have issues with it. BTW, buying that one thing still leaves you terribly restricted. They would have received some money to further the development from us but instead when we logged in we found that stuff we already paid for was taken away. I don't know why I bother to respond because by your tone your opinion is the only one that matters. 

I am kind of sitting on the fence on this one.  When you paid for the box it was on the understanding that a subscription would be required to maintain your privileges; nothing has changed.  

But at the same time I find it a little mercenary to take away character slots/ armour/ inventory space etc that someone already had and effectively require them to pay for it twice.  

However, restrictions on F2P players is a whole different matter, and they frankly can take or leave what they are given, I have no interest in their moaning.  People who avoid paying for products have no rights whatsoever to complain about said products- they are not customers, they are entirely irrelevant.    

Originally posted by LittleBoot

I am kind of sitting on the fence on this one.  When you paid for the box it was on the understanding that a subscription would be required to maintain your privileges; nothing has changed.  

But at the same time I find it a little mercenary to take away character slots/ armour/ inventory space etc that someone already had and effectively require them to pay for it twice.  

However, restrictions on F2P players is a whole different matter, and they frankly can take or leave what they are given, I have no interest in their moaning.  People who avoid paying for products have no rights whatsoever to complain about said products- they are not customers, they are frankly entirely irrelevant.    

I agree with you 100% except maybe we will disagree on what we think "privileges" are. For example, I am expected to pay to unlock UI functions that were there before. That seems like gouging to me. I am speaking from the mindset of someone who has already paid money. I am of the mindset, however, that if you over restrict the game, you potentially push away customers that may have invested to enhance their experience. As it stands I feel the game alienates and restricts more than is necessary. For example,  I have spent more on LoL, GW2, and Rifts  than I have or would on SWTOR and I don't even like Rifts or LoL all that much, but their models are fair and they offer things I actually want rather than roadblocking. The way SWTOTR is set up is the epitome of the type of F2P game I will not touch. 

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by LittleBoot

However, restrictions on F2P players is a whole different matter, and they frankly can take or leave what they are given, I have no interest in their moaning.  People who avoid paying for products have no rights whatsoever to complain about said products- they are not customers, they are frankly entirely irrelevant.    

I agree with you 100% except maybe we will disagree on what we think "privileges" are. For example, I am expected to pay to unlock UI functions that were there before. That seems like gouging to me. I am speaking from the mindset of someone who has already paid money. I am of the mindset, however, that if you over restrict the game, you potentially push away customers that may have invested to enhance their experience. As it stands I feel the game alienates and restricts more than is necessary. For example,  I have spent more on LoL, GW2, and Rifts  than I have or would on SWTOR and I don't even like Rifts or LoL all that much, but their models are fair and they offer things I actually want rather than roadblocking. The way SWTOTR is set up is the epitome of the type of F2P game I will not touch. 

You bought the game and 1 months worth of access, that is all you bought, there is no argument over that (unless you bought a lifetime or three month sub or whatever, but I am assuming you didn't). 

But I agree, the model is unkind to previous purchasers/ subscribers.  

• gluursgluurs Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Shoko_Lied
    Originally posted by Calven

A trial is where you are allowed access to a limited part of the game for, sometimes, a limited amount of time. When the time is up, or when you have reached the maximum allowed level, YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY TO CONTINUE PLAYING. That is a trial.

Sort of like the PVP and currency restrictions?

Well, the maximum allowed level is the max level in TOR, and there is no time limit. So it is not a trial, by your definition.

yea, it is a trial by my definiton. some games have an unlimited trial(like WoW) and i consider SWTOR to be a trial not Free-to-Play

Last time I checked Wow was only free to lvl 20.  20 out of 100 or so levels is the opposite of unlimited.

Swtor lets you play till max level with every class.  You are limited in coin and chat and some other things but not in what you can play.

So no it isn't a trial.  You can play till max level free.

But you can play at level 20 until you want to get the game, they dont restrict much, SWTOR on the other hand goes overboard.

"Fear & Desire are weapons in my life's pursuit"
    @KrewellaJahan

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by Shoko_Lied
    Originally posted by Calven

A trial is where you are allowed access to a limited part of the game for, sometimes, a limited amount of time. When the time is up, or when you have reached the maximum allowed level, YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY TO CONTINUE PLAYING. That is a trial.

Sort of like the PVP and currency restrictions?

Well, the maximum allowed level is the max level in TOR, and there is no time limit. So it is not a trial, by your definition.

yea, it is a trial by my definiton. some games have an unlimited trial(like WoW) and i consider SWTOR to be a trial not Free-to-Play

Last time I checked Wow was only free to lvl 20.  20 out of 100 or so levels is the opposite of unlimited.

Swtor lets you play till max level with every class.  You are limited in coin and chat and some other things but not in what you can play.

So no it isn't a trial.  You can play till max level free.

But you can play at level 20 until you want to get the game, they dont restrict much, SWTOR on the other hand goes overboard.

Don't restrict much? Aside from action bars, WoW f2p until 20 has pretty much the same restrictions (can't trade, use global chats etc).

In any event, SWTOR is a sub based game. Bioware isn't hiding that fact, the free part is simply a trial.

• ViperDragonViperDragon Member UncommonPosts: 101
    I think SWTOR have their F2P model just right.  I could list a ton of games where free players can't do much of anything.  You can do pretty much everything as a free player on SWTOR.  It's one of my favorite free MMOs.

A great list of free games (mostly MMORPGs): http://www.mytop10games.com/

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

I don't think a single sane person thinks the restrictions on free/preferred players in SWTOR is okay.

That's not plausible. An entire generation is known as "the entitlement generation." That alone makes people want to reel back the freebies that would otherwise be allowed or assumed.

Originally posted by ViperDragon
    I think SWTOR have their F2P model just right.  I could list a ton of games where free players can't do much of anything.  You can do pretty much everything as a free player on SWTOR.  It's one of my favorite free MMOs.

then list them, SWTOR is still going to have a bad Free-to-Play model anyway

@KrewellaJahan

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by ViperDragon

then list them, SWTOR is still going to have a bad Free-to-Play model anyway

Cheap SOBs think swtor is a bad model.  :D

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Yes it is. Compared to most of its competitors in the F2P mmo market SWTOR's model just plain sucks. How much they spent on the game and need to recoup doesn't matter and neither does whether players deserve it all without paying. They're offering up a shit sandwich while others are serving a nice grilled cheese. It's just objectively bad when you compare lists of restrictions to other games which are available.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I don't think a single sane person thinks the restrictions on free/preferred players in SWTOR is okay.

I think it is more than ok.  You can read about the restrictions on their website.  If you don't understand what you read, you can play the game for free to see for yourself.  You can then choose to pay to play if you want.  Seems reasonable to me.

Oh, you aren't given everything for free?  That is just being cheap.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

I think it is more than ok.  You can read about the restrictions on their website.  If you don't understand what you read, you can play the game for free to see for yourself.  You can then choose to pay to play if you want.  Seems reasonable to me.

Oh, you aren't given everything for free?  That is just being cheap.

the only thing that you can do completely is the story other than that, everything is restricted.

@KrewellaJahan

• GotterdammerGotterdammer Member Posts: 36
    Gotta love that classic gamer sense of entitlement. If you want to play the full game, pay for it. End of story.
    Originally posted by Gotterdammer
    Gotta love that classic gamer sense of entitlement. If you want to play the full game, pay for it. End of story.

No.

@KrewellaJahan

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

the only thing that you can do completely is the story other than that, everything is restricted.

It is their game. The devs are free to restrict in any way they want. You don't have to play the game.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Its really very simple ............."Put up or Shut up"

People need to stop hangin on forums with there cup out ...........   its a game ffs

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    SWTOR: WORST. FTP. MODEL. EVER.

It is their game. The devs are free to restrict in any way they want. You don't have to play the game.

And this is a thread asking a question about peoples opinions regarding the game's model. How about instead of a lot of you self righteous post attackers answer the question rather than flaming people for their opinions. I do not play F2P games for the most part but that doesn't mean I can't form a constructive opinion on SWTOR's model. I do find it sad that many of you are so defensive you can't answer the question without belittling other people and jump to the conclusion that anyone who thinks the games model is shit must be a person with a cup out looking for freebies. The game was not worth the sub and it went F2P because of it and now this is what they have. Not worth the sub and not worth the restrictions.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

And this is a thread asking a question about peoples opinions regarding the game's model. How about instead of a lot of you self righteous post attackers answer the question rather than flaming people for their opinions. I do not play F2P games for the most part but that doesn't mean I can't form a constructive opinion on SWTOR's model. I do find it sad that many of you are so defensive you can't answer the question without belittling other people and jump to the conclusion that anyone who thinks the games model is shit must be a person with a cup out looking for freebies. The game was not worth the sub and it went F2P because of it and now this is what they have. Not worth the sub and not worth the restrictions.

Because your opinion does not matter. Surely this game does not do it for you ... you know that it works, right? They have subs, they have free players, and they make enough to expand the game.

But the larger point is this ... so what if you think it is too restricted, or not enough. They do what they do .. and you can choose to ignore them, or play the game.

You ask 100 people, and there will be 100 answers.

BTW, i don't play this game but it is just funny that people would think it would matter to rant about restrictions of a free-to-play game.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

No.

Well then don't complain because you get what you pay for. Complaining about something free is really ridiculous.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

No.

And this sums up the entire thread.

There are only 2 possible responses now.

1.  Either you don't want to play the full game, in which case your thread is useless because your not playing the full game

or

2.  You do want to play the full game and you just don't want to pay for it.  In which case you are a complete cheapskate, whiner and a have a huge sense of entitlement.

So which is it?

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    The whole point of ftp, or the premise that is a blatant lie, is that you can pay if you want extra features, but if you don't want to pay, you can still have fun and play the meat of the game.