Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar vs TESO

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

The upcomming games competing eachother reminds me very much of when both WoW and EQ2 where released. One game aiming to be a fun game experience and the other game trying to be an immersive world..

and thats exactly what i see happening here. 

i am actually looking forward to both these games, and i think they both have a lot to offer.i do t mind about the graphics style of Wildstar, tough it reminds me of  pixar  graphics ( much hiher polygon count then WoW but the same artistic level)  its actually the fluent annimations that make for great characters, and this is exactly what wildstar has.  Both game annimations are good.. And both have very a ceptable graphics to me... The semi realistic look of TESO versus the highlighting colors of Wildstar.

combat wise, i think both games will feel a bit fresh and with a lot of freedom ...  It probably wil all come down to personal preference..  I personally think combat might be the most fun part of Wildstar..

the real difference is in the questing... And this is where i think i will prefer TESO as lorewise and story wise it will have more to offer, and i really love voice overs for quest givers, and TESOs world might feel more dynamic where wildstar might fel more like the good old WoW chainquesting and questinghubs without a changing world around you...  I am probably going to miss good voiced ovéred quests and a dynamic world most when playing wildstar

PvP wise, i love smaller instances (like wildstar and wow) above the zerging RvR PvP of TESO, DAoc and Gw2

and the wildstar has houses... And floating islands with houses,  sounds like a great thing to ke.. And a home for my  souvenirs.

am i the only one seeing a rerun of the 2004 battle of titans?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

There's no question that ESO will sell tons of boxes based on the IP. The issue it will have is that it's arguably a lower grade version of existing Elder Scrolls games. The real X-factor it brings is it's PvP, which hasn't really been seen at this point. This leads many to question the long-term viability of the game.

WildStar holds much better prospects for slow and steady grown, if what we've seen so far holds true through endgame. Feature-wise, it offers choices for many types of gamers all the way to the 1% PvE and PvP crowd. 

I'm not sure the first couple months will tell the whole story, I think it will be a little while before a clear victor can be named.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

I think ESO will do well on console, and drastically out sale Wildstar in atleast the first year because of that market...where the players don't have the huge expectations that PC gamers do (because of modding). 

There really isn't a MMO of the scale of ESO on consoles, and I could see the RvR being a big pull on consoles.

i think ESO on the PC is going to be forever haunted by the fact it's not coop Skyrim, which is honestly what PC gamers wanted... And now they just endlessly rage at ESO because its not that.

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

I believe that ESO will spike at release and have a "SWTOR level" of dropping off after the first month or so due to the fact that it depends on PvP too much as a core endgame feature and replay-ability of experiencing each faction's storyline. There is also nothing to indicate that it will be a friendly game to crafters. ESO's sole strength is it's storyline and it's draw to TES's lore. However once that content runs out, few people will be pushing on to try another faction's storyline and I have a feeling the PvP at the end game is going to be lackluster.

Where as Wildstar seems to have a better all around package for longevity focusing both on raiding as an endgame feature with the option to pvp on top of it, while bringing additional features to make crafting unique and competitive. I don't think Wildstar is going to be a long term home either, since it follows a themepark model as well. But I feel it will have a longer retention rate than ESO.

Bottom line, we'll have fun in both. But as with the nature of the beast, we'll be done with them as soon as we usually are too.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Out of the two I think TESO will sell better up front, but I think WildStar will sustain better in the long run. 

But I don't believe these two will be the Titans of 2014. I have a feeling (if it releases in 2014) EQNext is going to blow them both out of the water as the Titan of 2014. Then come 2015 people are going to be dumbfounded at the detail and systems that will be Star Citizen. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

I was not expecting this sort of intelligent well thought out post. well done.

As to the question, neither game is my most anticipated, but they both look to be fun. I hope they both do well, the one thing I can say is: they appear to be a separation from the 'norm' that has plagued this hobby for a lot of years now.

Good post.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248

Good points OP.

I'm hoping Wildstar is "that game" I been waiting for and I'm pretty sure it is. Telegraphs are cool I think and will only help improve gameplay and the genre I think.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

I just can't see people play (or pay for) TESO for more than 3-6 months, while at the same time, I don't believe Wildstar will sell more than 2 million boxes.

TESO will sell a lot of boxes, since they have strong IP and are launching on consoles. But, Wildstar will have longevity and profit throug subs. Having said that, I think both games will return the investment.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The upcomming games competing eachother reminds me very much of when both WoW and EQ2 where released. One game aiming to be a fun game experience and the other game trying to be an immersive world..

and thats exactly what i see happening here. 

i am actually looking forward to both these games, and i think they both have a lot to offer.i do t mind about the graphics style of Wildstar, tough it reminds me of  pixar  graphics ( much hiher polygon count then WoW but the same artistic level)  its actually the fluent annimations that make for great characters, and this is exactly what wildstar has.  Both game annimations are good.. And both have very a ceptable graphics to me... The semi realistic look of TESO versus the highlighting colors of Wildstar.

combat wise, i think both games will feel a bit fresh and with a lot of freedom ...  It probably wil all come down to personal preference..  I personally think combat might be the most fun part of Wildstar..

the real difference is in the questing... And this is where i think i will prefer TESO as lorewise and story wise it will have more to offer, and i really love voice overs for quest givers, and TESOs world might feel more dynamic where wildstar might fel more like the good old WoW chainquesting and questinghubs without a changing world around you...  I am probably going to miss good voiced ovéred quests and a dynamic world most when playing wildstar

PvP wise, i love smaller instances (like wildstar and wow) above the zerging RvR PvP of TESO, DAoc and Gw2

and the wildstar has houses... And floating islands with houses,  sounds like a great thing to ke.. And a home for my  souvenirs.

am i the only one seeing a rerun of the 2004 battle of titans?

One title is a cartoon, young adult themed, brightly colored with lots of Pzaaaz special effects to keep the less depth demanding  appeased, type of game.  The other is an in depth mmo where RPG truly matters, that is unfortunately horribly hindered by a broken User Interface and god awful combat mechanics.

Personally, I believe both titles have issues.  However, one purports to just be a fun co-op E-sport type multi player - so I can forgive them and will just avoid the title. 

The other title needs to fire whoever it is that forced programmers to build the most simplistic part of the game into a game breaking nightmare so that potentially new subscribers from day 1 will not just quit out of frustration and massive eye rolling.

Just beating a dead horse, here, however.  You just can't go to Zenimax and say, "hey, where's the boss.  This stupidity needs to end."

Damn shame.  Now we the players have to suffer.  Okay, tangent got me.  The first truly tri-realm mmo where the enemies are actually different from one another and early quest zones aren't trampled by all three factions.  And yet, here we are. 

Dammit.

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301

IMO the one thing that Wildstar has is that it never had to be compared to anything. It just needs to be a complete game and have enough content for people.

TESO on the other hand has to live up to its own hype. Very hard to do. Its so far from being Skyrim which is imo the best game ever created. Most will be hoping for a taste of that experience and I don't think they will be happy. 

Neither will be a breath of fresh air as much as I love ES it hurts to say.

In the end I will buy TESO, and play it until I am bored of it. I can't say I will even look at WIldstar unless the reviews are crazy good.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    I think we can all agree on one thing: whoever changes their business model from p2p to either b2p or f2p will be the loser (all joking aside though I have nothing against b2p or f2p games, just noting that the superior game will get people paying for the subscriptions longer simply because they feel they are getting more out of it for their money when compared to the other; it's simple economics).

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Lyrian

I believe that ESO will spike at release and have a "SWTOR level" of dropping off after the first month or so due to the fact that it depends on PvP too much as a core endgame feature and replay-ability of experiencing each faction's storyline. There is also nothing to indicate that it will be a friendly game to crafters. ESO's sole strength is it's storyline and it's draw to TES's lore. However once that content runs out, few people will be pushing on to try another faction's storyline and I have a feeling the PvP at the end game is going to be lackluster.

Where as Wildstar seems to have a better all around package for longevity focusing both on raiding as an endgame feature with the option to pvp on top of it, while bringing additional features to make crafting unique and competitive. I don't think Wildstar is going to be a long term home either, since it follows a themepark model as well. But I feel it will have a longer retention rate than ESO.

Bottom line, we'll have fun in both. But as with the nature of the beast, we'll be done with them as soon as we usually are too.

With only a few exceptions, the history of mmorpgs the past 12 years has been one of box sales at release with numbers trailing off.  So that is the norm rather than some great insight.  The exceptions are noteworthy.

That being said, I expect tons of box sales for ESO.  Wildstar is iffy to me as the sound of the masses seems to be against the model.  At least with Wildstar we will see if the mass flock to it or stay away as they say.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I'm looking forward to them both, but each will be niche titles in around a year imho. ESO will more than likely hold a larger population due to the ES fans. Wildstar will replace GW2 as the next kicking post. I'm looking forward to Glorias Victis as my ace in the hole, fallback title.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Guys, both games are still under NDA, so please don't post any thoughts or opinions on them yet.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Amana
    Guys, both games are still under NDA, so please don't post any thoughts or opinions on them yet.

NDA's prevent known facts about them, but thoughts and opinions are open game.  And, being that I'm not in either beta, I can post my thoughts and opinions on both based on what I've seen visually and read written verbally in the media.

Visually speaking on animations shown within both games,  Wildstar has far more fluid animations than TESO does.  There's an even movement about the characters as they jump, they dodge, they execute attacks with extreme precision (see how the Esper lift's her hand up in the air in a wavy fashion as she casts the spell that throws daggers at her enemy infront of her).

As a comparison to content, TESO seems to be lacking in play choices that Wildstar has.    First and foremost is the addition of player housing for Wildstar that TESO is just completely lacking; that's a big player attachment thing within a game that the other is lacking (essentially a nesting trophy room for the player to show their investment).  

Wildstar also contains three types of PvP:  Arenas, Battlegrounds, and Fortress Wars >>  TESO only has it's 3-faction WvWvW equivalent.  

Raids are in Wildstar but not in TESO, so there's a lack of larger-group PvE content.  

There's still been far more combat exposure for Wildstar than there has been for TESO (even with that big beta leaked video back in November/December).  So far Wildstar has shown a varying degree of skill involvement with it's interrupts,  CC breakout events, and telegraphing system.    TESO seems to be the opposite and plays more like Age of Conan (which was from 2008, right?).

Lastly is almost 110% opinionated in that the artistic style (aesthetic look) of Wildstar is far more appealing than TESO shows to be.  Graphics play a huge part in this as the textures of TESO are muddy, the animations are buggy, and the whole thing looks like Oblivion (not a good thing in 2014);  the graphical tricks used in Wildstar are shown in the shadows, explosions, grass movement, and so on.     Having more pixels doesn't make something better, and a side-by-side comparison of the two definitely shows this.

So yes, there's my opinion on the two games when comparing them.   I'm not in a Beta and my voice isn't stifled by the threatening overhead of some mythical "NDA".

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Lyrian
    [..snip..]

With only a few exceptions, the history of mmorpgs the past 12 years has been one of box sales at release with numbers trailing off.  So that is the norm rather than some great insight.  The exceptions are noteworthy.

That being said, I expect tons of box sales for ESO.  Wildstar is iffy to me as the sound of the masses seems to be against the model.  At least with Wildstar we will see if the mass flock to it or stay away as they say.

I don't disagree.

What I feel will happen however is that ESO will be a 'spike' when it comes to sales. The majority of sales will be at release/first month and ESO's challenge will be getting and retaining consumers from that point on once the 'word is out', which I believe it will have great difficulty doing because it focuses on PvP being the major endgame feature without any sort of PvE raiding or similar "motivating" feature to keep both sides of the gaming market playing. If ESO more compelling PvE features waiting in the wings, then I can see it certainly helping...but I haven't read anything to indicate that there is.

Wildstar I agree with you, will be a more modest seller. But I feel will do better in the long run because they (appear) to have a better balance between PvP and PvE features. Though I do admit I have a slight bias in this because I found the trailer videos to be stupidly hilarious and I am hoping that energy translates into the game itself.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    If ESO gets its RvR right than it's a no brainer for me really.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Just wow...

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

For me it is very simple. I want to have fun when i play a game. WildStar is fun, it makes me laugh and even giggle from time to time. tESO otoh is serious like a heart attack and stiff like a plank of oak.

Also tESO will age with the grace of a grape and will need to have custom mods made for it to not look dated in two three years.

Well i am in neither beta and thus under neither NDA. All my conclusions comes from official promo material from among other places this very site.

This have been a good conversation

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

I also think that ESO will have the lead in box sales and Wildstar will win out in longevity, if they deliver the goods they promised, of course.

There are way too many disappointments in the last few years, turning into a real skeptic ain't a hard thing.

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224
    WildStar vs. TESO really reminds me of RIFT vs. SWTOR in 2011 (although the latter was ultimately released at the very end of that year).  I believe we will see similar trends in popularity, with TESO benefitting a lot from its console presence at the beginning.  I'm currently having a hard time seeing WildStar maintaining even SWTOR's profile.  That RIFT, TSW, and TERA range is where I think it will settle in ... which is to say nothing about how good or bad it might be, just where it fits in in the MMO landscape.
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    None of them, my eyes are on Lineage Eternal.
  • CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    I am sorry but this is not even a competition.   tESO already failed before it's even out.  It will sell good amount of boxes and barely anyone will sub after the first month, with the game being completely deserted after the first 3 months.
  • Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    Looking forward to both games actually, although I havent played Wildstar yet. TESO is fun in its own regard, though I obviously cant go into detail. Wildstar reminds me of a cross between old-school WoW and Borderlands. I usually like to have 2 different MMOs to jump between while waiting for content updates and these 2 seem like they may take it.

Not buying either for a while after release though. Not because I think Ill be disappointed but because I dont trust MMO developers who promise a thriving p2p game yet give everyone the finger by going f2p the minute the A.D.D children leave.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Thoughts and opinion do not violate any part of an NDA.  Facts that one has seen in beta and not released to the public are in violation. So far most of the " opinions" are based on information that is easily found on official websites.

A few weeks ago I was watching Wildstar streaming from the press. Just because it has an NDA does not mean I cant comment on what i saw on the company sanctioned live stream o.O

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by Cryptor
    I am sorry but this is not even a competition.   tESO already failed before it's even out.  It will sell good amount of boxes and barely anyone will sub after the first month, with the game being completely deserted after the first 3 months.

O' great prophet, please enlighten us lowly beings. When will a proper MMO that we will all love arrive?