Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The fact that this game is under NDA says more about the state of the game than anyone breaking the

Comments

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Carbine dropped the NDA for Wildstar for early levels and has had a bunch of other previews for the game.

TESO has shown ....pencil sketches of armor.

When an MMO is as tight lipped about everything just a couple months from release its easy to tell that are trying to hide something.

It shows that they have no confidence in their product.

Or it shows that they have so much confidence in their product that they don't feel the need to hype it up through beta marketing.

Did you really just attempt to say that they are not trying to hype up TESO?!?

Podcasts, youtube channel, Facebook page, Tweeter, massive amounts of interviews on every gaming site, having every TES wiki and fan site update their 2nd age lore with TESO story information........keep reaching buddy.

No, I said they aren't trying to hype it up through beta marketing.  They're doing normal marketing stuff like anyone else.  What they aren't doing is trying to generate hype by turning the beta process into some early access thing.  Learn to read buddy.

You make me like charity

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by asmkm22

No, I said they aren't trying to hype it up through beta marketing.  They're doing normal marketing stuff like anyone else.  What they aren't doing is trying to generate hype by turning the beta process into some early access thing.  Learn to read buddy.

This site is rife with people who complain when a game uses their 'beta' tests as advertisements, and now when a game goes back to a more traditional model of actually doing testing during a beta test its a bad sign...

@OP: By your own logic you cannot compare GW2 and TESO because they are not utilizing the same monetization model.  No one is forcing you to give ZOS money.  Trying to convince everyone else this game will fail due to not dropping their NDA ~4 months prior to launch because another title did not is just immature and flawed logic.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Originally posted by nilden
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Can you name an mmo that didn't have it's beta under NDA at some point ?

Guild wars 2 lifted the NDA for the beta weekend events and lifted it for the press even before the weekend events in closed beta. It's not about having the NDA at some point but when they lift it. The fact that they haven't lifted it for this event is telling to me compared to GW2.

Also I get that MMORPG.com respects the NDA so please abide by it.

Edit: To further clarify my position. Guild Wars 2 lifted the NDA for April 27-29 and all beta weekend events after then released August 28th.

GW2 had its closed beta phase too. You are assuming that alll MMOS follow same patterns when it comes to NDA.

No I'm not. I'm comparing a specific example with dates and the same weekend events process.

One lifted the NDA one did not.

Guild Wars 2 Beta wiki

Yeah so what i said. You expect ESO to follow same beta patterns as GW2. Moreover you are comparing an open  beta weekend of GW2 with closed beta weekend of ESO.

Who made this rule that that if beta testing is on weekends it has to be open?

Stop putting words in my mouth. I didn't expect ESO to follow the same beta patterns, I didn't assume all MMOs follow the same beta patterns.

Guild Wars 2 could have kept the NDA. They didn't because they were fine with people sharing information about the game and didn't have anything to hide.

Nobody is putting words into your mouth...you are doing it quite well with your posts. You are comparing ESO beta to GW2 beta. Basically saying that ESO isn't doing the same as GW2...so it must be hiding something. So if games aren't following the GW2 pattern, then they are hiding....

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Ok I won't compare it to anything then. I'm sure they just have the NDA there to protect the secret sauce and stop people from talking about how awesome the game is.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Ok I won't compare it to anything then. I'm sure they just have the NDA there to protect the secret sauce and stop people from talking about how awesome the game is.

The NDA is there to make sure Zenimax can control the public impression the game makes, and make sure that the public is not allowed to make judgments until they feel the game represents what they envision for it and is in a final state.

Why spark judgments and impressions from a build which isnt final?

Now, you can spin that whatever way you want, but its still the bare bones of it.

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

To protect them from badmouthing is more like it, if i was Zenimax i wouldn't lift the NDA until release day, so they at least get some of the funding back.

• FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159
    Two months and 25 days to go until launch and people seriously believe this isn't what we're going to get at launch? 

Originally posted by Fappuccino
    Two months and 25 days to go until launch and people seriously believe this isn't what we're going to get at launch? 

I am pretty sure what you see is what you get, can't be far from gold status and they will send the client to get pressed into retail discs, they usually do this 3 months before release.

There won't be any significant changes, in this stage of development they usually focus on bug fixing.

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by -aLpHa-

Originally posted by Fappuccino

I am pretty sure what you see is what you get, can't be far from gold status and they will send the client to get pressed into retail discs, they usually do this 3 months before release.

There won't be any significant changes, in this stage of development they usually focus on bug fixing.

And bug fixing isnt part of the overall picture? Bugs can be related to many aspects and systems in the game, which can put some people off if they see it in a pre release state.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

To protect them from badmouthing is more like it, if i was Zenimax i wouldn't lift the NDA until release day, so they at least get some of the funding back.

NDA do not protect against badmouthing, nothing stop people form breaking it.

Originally posted by Rhazmuz
    Originally posted by -aLpHa-   Originally posted by Fappuccino Two months and 25 days to go until launch and people seriously believe this isn't what we're going to get at launch? 
      I am pretty sure what you see is what you get, can't be far from gold status and they will send the client to get pressed into retail discs, they usually do this 3 months before release. There won't be any significant changes, in this stage of development they usually focus on bug fixing.
    And bug fixing isnt part of the overall picture? Bugs can be related to many aspects and systems in the game, which can put some people off if they see it in a pre release state.

I never made it out to be negative, just saying that there won't be significant changes in the game design/gameplay itself. Bug fixing is a big part no doubt but i don't think people are put off by bugs per se, i for one don't mind bugs as long they aren't game breaking.

I play a buggy mess known as DayZ standalone right now and thoroughly enjoy it because the gameplay is quite good.

Originally posted by azarhal

Originally posted by nilden Ok I won't compare it to anything then. I'm sure they just have the NDA there to protect the secret sauce and stop people from talking about how awesome the game is.
    NDA do not protect against badmouthing, nothing stop people form breaking it.

NDA protects them, just because there a few NDA breakers out there doesn't mean people will get the information simply because most people don't bother to look for it, i remember Age of Conan NDA was active until release and people where shocked at how god awful the game was and that game had more of it's fair share of NDA breakers.

Remember just because we actively try to research our games doesn't mean average Joe will do it, if the Press/Gaming sites can't actively talk about a game because of a gag order, the general consumer will be ignorant.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

I am pretty sure what you see is what you get, can't be far from gold status and they will send the client to get pressed into retail discs [...]

Given that there will almost certainly be a day-one patch, not really sure that gold status or disc pressing means squat anymore.

• No amount of polishing and hammering out bugs can save this game. It's gonna be TOR all over, except worse.

I already feel bad for the people who will get this solely because they like the TES series. They're gonna be really disappointed.

• danisheraserdanisheraser Member UncommonPosts: 33

I am surprised to see how many people are so "all knowing". First of all, this game is not even close to SWTOR, so stop comparing (and yes I am in beta). Second, the game is not even close to Age of Conan, so stop comparing. Pull out that needle from your arm and take a few chill-pills. Your all exaggerating too much.

The game seems to need a bit of polishing, but besides that it is very good. Of course there is an NDA, there always is in closed beta's. Stop complaining about it, like a small kid not getting it's candy.

Originally posted by danisheraser
    I am surprised to see how many people are so "all knowing". First of all, this game is not even close to SWTOR, so stop comparing (and yes I am in beta). Second, the game is not even close to Age of Conan, so stop comparing. Pull out that needle from your arm and take a few chill-pills. Your all exaggerating too much.The game seems to need a bit of polishing, but besides that it is very good. Of course there is an NDA, there always is in closed beta's. Stop complaining about it, like a small kid not getting it's candy. 

Are you some kind of hypocrite? stating people are "all knowing" while you break the NDA and talk about the game and try to tell us that your opinion is the only right one.

You aren't allowed to talk about it, at all, you can't even acknowledge that you are in beta.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

Are you some kind of hypocrite? stating people are "all knowing" while you break the NDA and talk about the game and try to tell us that your opinion is the only right one.

You aren't allowed to talk about it, at all, you can't even acknowledge that you are in beta.

You are allowed to let others know you are in the beta but that's about it.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• danisheraserdanisheraser Member UncommonPosts: 33

And you should probably pull out that needle. Call me a hypocrite, who cares. It's not me who goes all crazy because of there is an NDA.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Not letting people share information about the beta says way more than anyone who breaks the NDA could.

are you...serious? You really want to say this? Just wow.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Originally posted by -aLpHa-   Are you some kind of hypocrite? stating people are "all knowing" while you break the NDA and talk about the game and try to tell us that your opinion is the only right one. You aren't allowed to talk about it, at all, you can't even acknowledge that you are in beta.  

And you should probably pull out that needle. Call me a hypocrite, who cares. It's not me who goes all crazy because of there is an NDA.

Is that your only response? People should stop taking their meds/drugs? Grow a backbone will you, this is a forum so people discussing their opinions is the most basic thing, trying to insult those people by telling them they should stop taking their drugs and you being so oversensitive that you think everyone is "overacting", ain't really a mature response.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

The sad truth is:

The OP is right in his assumption. The game is in an awful state compared to its release date. Not because it will not be finished. It will! Most of it seems pretty great and finished up. But the very basics make it a lackluster experience that only gets worse after you try it yourself.

sad to see another big game fail for me (not talking about the mass market, talking about myself only).

Oh well, but what do i know. All this is just hearsay from a friend of a friend,... ;-)

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

Originally posted by Ginaz
    Originally posted by -aLpHa-   Originally posted by danisheraser
    Are you some kind of hypocrite? stating people are "all knowing" while you break the NDA and talk about the game and try to tell us that your opinion is the only right one. You aren't allowed to talk about it, at all, you can't even acknowledge that you are in beta.  
    You are allowed to let others know you are in the beta but that's about it.

Ok, didn't read the NDA in it's full detail then, thanks for the clarification.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

after having tried the beta this weekend I really can not understand how people can be negative toward ESO, unless they only played the first 2 minutes of the game - the tutorial scene which sucks imo....but well guess they think any and all MMOs need it.

have been terrible positively suprised by this game, though there is afew things that need to get fixed, but well it aint released yet - and it is not game changing things, I would bash the game if it were.

imo it have nothing at all to do with a WOW clone, imo if you think ESO is a WOW clone you should just accept that every single game, that have a little bit of RPG theme to it on the market is a WOW clone....so far ONLY the tutorial scene feels like SWTOR

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Guild wars 2 lifted the NDA for the beta weekend events and lifted it for the press even before the weekend events in closed beta. It's not about having the NDA at some point but when they lift it. The fact that they haven't lifted it for this event is telling to me compared to GW2.

Edit: To further clarify my position. Guild Wars 2 lifted the NDA for April 27-29 and all beta weekend events after then released August 28th.

GW2 most certainly did have a NDA on its beta. It did not have an NDA on the pre-purchase 'beta weekends' (read: promotional weekends), which all happened in the months leading up to GW2 release.  Also you were limited to lower level content and only one dungeon. That was a hype drive, not a beta.  ESO is still in a functional beta and 4 months from release, hence the NDA.

• FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by evilastro

GW2 most certainly did have a NDA on its beta. It did not have an NDA on the pre-purchase 'beta weekends' (read: promotional weekends), which all happened in the month leading up to GW2 release.  That was a hype drive, not a beta.  ESO is still in a functional beta and 4 months from release, hence the NDA.

Four months? Try three. Actually two months 25 days for PC.

At least 4 months, 23 days for PS4/XB1...

This discussion has been closed.