Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: The Importance of the Ruby Throne

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

In our latest Elder Scrolls Online column, we weigh in on the importance of becoming Emperor in the game's Alliance War RvR component.

Being Emperor is a significant achievement somewhat similar to becoming ArchLord in Webzen’s eponymous title. As Emperor, your stats will be juiced up such that you are incredibly hard to kill and deal extra damage with your abilities. You’ll even get access to a special armor set that only the Emperor can wear. But most important of all, you’ll unlock a unique skill line that will stay with your character permanently. If you do lose your crown, the power of this skill line’s abilities will be diminished, but it’s still something you’ll have access to over other players.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Elder Scrolls Online: The Importance of the Ruby Throne.

Comments

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I'm looking forward to playing this game. This article made the anticipation meter go up a notch. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• seldinseldin Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Being Emperor sounds great but is an unattainable by what 99.9999999% of the player base.  I see this as something that only those who seem to play 24/7 will achieve.  I am making the assumption that only 1 person per server at a time.  If the given time period is 1 day per round that is only a max of 365 a year.  Then once emperor that person now has an advantage to help keep them emperor or regain it easier than anyone else.  this sounds like more of a gimmick then something that will make a huge difference to keeping a player base. 
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

"How significant do you think the Emperor feature will be in driving RvR competition?"

There will always be a handful of highly dedicated, competitive guilds that will spend an inordinate amount of time doing -something- for bragging rights.  Usually it's raiding, but in this case it will be in RvR.  To those few players who have the time and desire, this will be the cherry on their RvR cake that they will clamber for.

For the rest of the players, it won't even be an afterthought because of the job you will have to make the game for it to be attainable.

So, for the 1% that care about this carrot, sure, it will matter.  For everyone else?  There are other motivators to be out engaging in RvR, but being Emperor isn't one of them.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by seldin
    Being Emperor sounds great but is an unattainable by what 99.9999999% of the player base.  I see this as something that only those who seem to play 24/7 will achieve.  

I agree.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    Being Emperor sounds great but is an unattainable by what 99.9999999% of the player base.  I see this as something that only those who seem to play 24/7 will achieve.  

I agree.

Even if you or I don't become Emperor, having other players striving for it improves the RvR experience for everyone by giving people a compelling reason to compete.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

I love the idea, but even though I am a full time PVPer I know I will never attain it, because I have a life.  Still, it will be a HUGE bragging right that might motivate guilds and individuals to really get out there and kick some hind quarter.  For me, this is the only game that looks primed and ready to scratch that itch that has been bugging me since I ran out of things to do on DAoC after about five years.

I am trying to keep my hopes realistic, but the DAoC formula is what I have been missing.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• DJProfKDJProfK Member Posts: 19

So, pretty much only boters will be able to achieve this?

Yet another reason to dump this game right now.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    I can't bring myself to care about it. It won't affect my interest in PvP (which is pretty close to non-existent for this title).
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    WARs system would have been okay, but they fucked up when they scrapped the other capital cities, dropping from a planned six to two. Getting locked out of one city would have been a good cost for failure, getting locked out of your only city sucked. You want people to get pissed and hyped for the next fight, not to log off because they can't do shit anywhere.
  • TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

I hope the reign of Emperor Ipwnzn00bz the LXVII will be short.

The idea that a player can be the "Emperor" is kinda silly.  I could see being able to make your factions leader the Emperor and players being their Imperial guard or something to that effect. If anything this will  create a larger power gap (over just gear) between older players  and new players that will turn off new players. Sounds like a bad mechanic that will hurt the title in the long run..we'll see what happens.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    The fact that they are focusing so much on PvP content on an Elder Scrolls MMO, when Elder Scrolls is known for it's PvE just tells me to continue to stay away from this title.

Smile

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313

As others have said, this is an achievement for people who don't shower, have no job, and live in their mom's basement.

I don't see it being relevant for the average player.

The devs can spend a little time on this feature, but if they spend too much, it only shows how out of touch they are.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

So how do they plan on preventing people from exploiting and point farming their way to emperor?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by MikeB

I agree.

Even if you or I don't become Emperor, having other players striving for it improves the RvR experience for everyone by giving people a compelling reason to compete.

The Ruby Throne/Emperor is nothing more than a Golden Carrot.

A cheap one that will probably turn your skin green

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Cant wait for no lifer with a char named Yoloswag to become emperor. Because we all know its gonna happen. 

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by sketocafe
    WARs system would have been okay, but they fucked up when they scrapped the other capital cities, dropping from a planned six to two. Getting locked out of one city would have been a good cost for failure, getting locked out of your only city sucked. You want people to get pissed and hyped for the next fight, not to log off because they can't do shit anywhere.

No SET factions with multiple warzones would have been more in tone with Elder scrolls. Sort of like the faction system from UO with a WAR style rvr system. 

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
    I bet this will be held by a guild and passed around to their members making them leet in pvp.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• JeauseoffJeauseoff Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Redcor
    I bet this will be held by a guild and passed around to their members making them leet in pvp.

This is exactly what will happen.  I'm willing to put money on that fact.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Cant wait for no lifer with a char named Yoloswag to become emperor. Because we all know its gonna happen. 

All hail Emperor Yolo Swaggins. Raise your ceremonial PBR and remove your fedoras for the proceedings.

• DoushiDoushi Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs
    Originally posted by MikeB

I agree.

The Ruby Throne/Emperor is nothing more than a Golden Carrot.

A cheap one that will probably turn your skin green

I think its good that only really small portion of players can attain it, for a while there has been this odd trend in mmo's that everyone is equal, and is entitled for everything without too much effort, which results in watered down game filled with "special" people.

If someone actually playes 24/7 to compete with someone else who plays 24/7 to become the emperor, isnt it a good thing for the game?

mmorpg.com, the 4chan of mmo forums.

• carebear77carebear77 Member Posts: 86
    so what do u rahter want, no consequince, or sumthing easy, cause that would be the same as worthless ?
  • drowelfdrowelf Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I dont know, All I know about It Is I will never be an Emperor, PvP is more of a turn off than not,  Lvl 50 toon eating a lvl 20 toon and that happens in all pvp it may make the lvl 50 fill good about himself but wercks the fun for non pvp. If pvp gear and pve gear were the same then maybe the pvpers would  find it more of a challange. No gear advantaves think on it.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Being Emperor 99.99% unattainable. ....... I say.... Absolutely wonderful! !! You have to realize your chances of getting it are slim, but what about helping someone on your faction whose on your side get it? Step back from your selfish way. It's not just emperor it still is realm pride, but it has that special sauce to make this a very serious aspect of the game. This is a great feature to get people to play with passion. It's far from Elder Scrolls but it still looks like a game I want to play.
  • WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376

Whether or not this will be good for the game, it really is nothing more than what WoW has done with their PvP titles and the ability to get Epic Loot. Several years ago (for those of you old enough to remember) Grand Marshall, and High Warlord meant something, typically9as it  happened in WoW, and as Seldin already said, this will be unattainable except for those die hard players who play 24/7 and eventually as in WoW it will be rigged and those with the most time to play will pass it on to one another.

Frankly this is the type of nonsense that may keep me from playing the game.

• giojcampgiojcamp Member Posts: 4

I think that being Emperor would be more significant if there were similar rewards for "officers" in the Emperor's Army. That way, more than one player would gain significant rewards. For example, maybe give a exp boost, outfits, etc for certain officers as well.

Unless you are Kim Jong-un and have a devoted populace at your feet, then it is very hard to get 100s of people to fight for you just so that you can get rewards. Eventually, people will just not really care anymore about it. It will be exciting at first, but it will burn out. I compare it to the Cloud City Fort in Jade Dynasty. While everyone went after it at first, it eventually became a fight between 2-3 alliances and majority of the populace didn't really care.