Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why no free trial?

trieditalltrieditall Member UncommonPosts: 49
Looks interesting but I will never fork over cash without being able to test drive.

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

Why no free trial?     Answer:  You might decide not to come back.  

TSW is not the generic fantasy MMO. Often you can get it on sale through Amazon for 10 or 15. When it went b2p I picked it up on Amazon for 15.  I did the same thing with Tera and played for a day or so before I realized how horrible that game was.  I don't put TSW in that category; it has a unique appeal.  You will be solving puzzles that will require much deliberation. If I am to judge by a forum post I had on the site, everyone who plays TSW is a genius and does not need to look anything up.  For us mere mortal types, there is an ini-game search option to help you through the tough parts.  In part this is what bothered me about the game:  Why should I have to look up how to solve puzzles and other challenges in the game?

Also, the combat seems to be a big complaint from most players, including myself.  My character seemed to go in to an epileptic fit and would flail their arms around which looked ridiculous whenever fighting.  The crafting is different and you need to see it for yourself but didn't do much for me. I haven't returned since it went b2p but still have it installed. Maybe one of these days I will return.  There are folks around here who absolutely love this type of game.  The game really shines with the quests and story in the game.  I started in a New England town and felt like I was in the middle of a Stephen King Novel.  I say that with the utmost appreciation because the game really does a good job of putting across that horror vibe.  

I don't think you could go wrong trying the game. 

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by trieditall
    Looks interesting but I will never fork over cash without being able to test drive.

Ask for a buddy key here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/404/view/forums/post/5992799

• rhan101277rhan101277 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Just picked up game for $15 at http://www.gamesrocket.com/s/the-secret-world/ I am enjoying it so far, can't beat it for $15.
  • CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by rhan101277
    Just picked up game for $15 at http://www.gamesrocket.com/s/the-secret-world/ I am enjoying it so far, can't beat it for $15.

$9.99 at Best Buy, though not all of them stock it.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by flizzer

In part this is what bothered me about the game:  Why should I have to look up how to solve puzzles and other challenges in the game?

Um, because when you are in Transylvania people write their notes in Romanian? Don't know about you, but I never studied that language, and I don't recall enough Latin to easily translate that either. But I just used the walkthroughs for those miserable Morse Code sequences.

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

No risk, no reward.

Thanks for sharing your inner thoughts, fascinating to say the least.

• TekdTekd Member UncommonPosts: 65
    We can send you trial keys if you PM us.
  • RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    I posted on the buddy key thread.  I would love to try it out.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC