Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The fact that this game is under NDA says more about the state of the game than anyone breaking the

NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
Not letting people share information about the beta says way more than anyone who breaks the NDA could.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Can you name an mmo that didn't have it's beta under NDA at some point ?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Oddly enough i am not aware of any game that was in anything other than Open Beta, that didnt have an NDA, and even some that were. If a game is in closed Beta, then it will always have an NDA in force. Have to be a bit new to the scene not to know this tbh. image
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

release is still 4 months away

probably will be at least some sort of press open beta before launch

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by nilden
    Not letting people share information about the beta says way more than anyone who breaks the NDA could.

What a weird post. All MMOS are under NDA during closed beta phase before release.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• ItsabouteconomicsItsabouteconomics Member Posts: 16

I cant comment on the state of the game but Im looking forward to Beta testing.

Why are you so concerned about the NDA?  IF you wanted info on the game, it was so easy to get into the Beta your complaining about.

I think all of us in Beta have an opinion about the Beta.  Im not concerned about anyone else and their opinion about the game to say anything about it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Itsabouteconomics

I cant comment on the state of the game but Im looking forward to Beta testing.

Why are you so concerned about the NDA?  IF you wanted info on the game, it was so easy to get into the Beta your complaining about.

I think all of us in Beta have an opinion about the Beta.  Im not concerned about anyone else and their opinion about the game to say anything about it.

It was? I don't recall anyone coming to my front door and asking me to please join the beta.

Hey, they should want me in their beta, I'm just that good!  image

Enjoy your weekend guys, give it a good shakedown.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Guild wars 2 lifted the NDA for the beta weekend events and lifted it for the press even before the weekend events in closed beta. It's not about having the NDA at some point but when they lift it. The fact that they haven't lifted it for this event is telling to me compared to GW2.

Also I get that MMORPG.com respects the NDA so please abide by it.

Edit: To further clarify my position. Guild Wars 2 lifted the NDA for April 27-29 and all beta weekend events after then released August 28th.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

it IS starting to get close to the point where most of the major older MMOs enter open beta with a lifting of the NDA.

AC1, EQ1, DaoC, SWG, WoW....all had their NDA lifted at around the 4 month mark with a few at 3.

If TESO doesn't go into open beta in the next month, it will leave little time to hammer out the bugs you get from various systems and the game will have a poor launch like AO, AoC and a few others that had little open testing.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592

I guess they are polishing the content and don't want to spoil every thing plus to all GAMERS today are such DRAMA QUEENS and will start anti ESO campaign because they played Closed beta.

Also why to worries people will buy the game anyway in near future nothing better than ESO so every one will give a shot. And again your speculation a non sens! Did you play the CBT ? No ? Well don't judge then

• ItsabouteconomicsItsabouteconomics Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by JJ82

it IS starting to get close to the point where most of the major older MMOs enter open beta with a lifting of the NDA.

AC1, EQ1, DaoC, SWG, WoW....all had their NDA lifted at around the 4 month mark with a few at 3.

If TESO doesn't go into open beta in the next month, it will leave little time to hammer out the bugs you get from various systems and the game will have a poor launch like AO, AoC and a few others that had little open testing.

Ahh,  the Holy Pentagon of Mmo's  have been brought into the equation. 

Perhaps Teso will fail ,   if:then.  image

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

I´ve agreed to some NDAs and at the end most of the MMOs were really good.

Secret World for example. Ok that was not so polished at NDA beta but around 1.2 it started to seriously kick ass.

Guild wars 2 lifted the NDA for the beta weekend events and lifted it for the press even before the weekend events in closed beta. It's not about having the NDA at some point but when they lift it. The fact that they haven't lifted it for this event is telling to me compared to GW2.

Edit: To further clarify my position. Guild Wars 2 lifted the NDA for April 27-29 and all beta weekend events after then released August 28th.

GW2 had its closed beta phase too. You are assuming that alll MMOS follow same patterns when it comes to NDA.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

GW2 had its closed beta phase too. You are assuming that alll MMOS follow same patterns when it comes to NDA.

No I'm not. I'm comparing a specific example with dates and the same weekend events process.

One lifted the NDA one did not.

Guild Wars 2 Beta wiki

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Just to point out - ArcheAge in Korea had no NDA, we were free to write reviews of our experience, post pictures and video. They had nothing to hid and it was great PR.
  • squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

in my life time experience. all game game that have NDA usu8ally trying to scam player, they scare to lets people know clearly about their games that why they using NDA

FF14 was an example.

they only allow nice thing like screenshot,wallpaper and some movie-making video clip.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

I know, it's crazy that they're actually using the Beta process for things like bug fixes and feedback, rather than publicity and marketing.

You make me like charity

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

So you are making judgements based on one isolated incident that was completely against the norm?

Betas are 99.999 repeating % of the time do not allow players to discuss publically their experience since much of the stuff is an in process status.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

While you may think you have a point, open betas are usually more for stress testing servers and hardware not for ironing out bugs.  That doesn't mean that bugs aren't found and fixed, but that's not the major point of an open beta.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Wrong.  

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Originally posted by Nadia

release is still 4 months away

probably will be at least some sort of press open beta before launch

If the release is 4/4, then it is less than 3 months away...

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

It's funny because you're wrong.  GW2 has never lifted their NDA to this day.  They only had the Beta Weekends without NDA. They never said the stuff months before was lifted.  Only the stuff from the point about a month and a half before launch (through the weekends) wasn't under NDA.  Never went retroactive.  

Your argument....null and void.

Read your clarification.  You're still wrong.  What they did was Beta Weekends no NDA.  Closed Beta NDA.  Alpha NDA.  Closed Beta up to about a month and a half til launch NDA.  NDA still secure on Closed Beta except for press up to that point.  Alpha NDA has never lifted...ever.

Alpha and Beta were running simultaneously FYI like most companies do.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by Latronus

While you may think you have a point, open betas are usually more for stress testing servers and hardware not for ironing out bugs.  That doesn't mean that bugs aren't found and fixed, but that's not the major point of an open beta.

On what planet doesn't "hammer out the bugs you get from various systems" not also pertain to servers and hardware?!?

You are trying to hard to find fault in a post pointing out that the OP is wrong, it isn't time to worry yet, for those that don't already know the game blows that is.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon
    Just to point out - ArcheAge in Korea had no NDA, we were free to write reviews of our experience, post pictures and video. They had nothing to hid and it was great PR.

Yes, ArcheAge didn't have an NDA throughout its beta process, there were player made videos all over the Internet.

Elite: Dangerous hasn't even got an NDA for its Alpha testing phase( though it was partially funded by Kickstarter so an NDA against your "investors" might have proved problematic)

NDAs are for companies who are sweating about the reception they think their game will get, if the developer doesn't have confidence in their product why should anyone else. If they were confident they would be happy to show what was coming and let the opposition do the worrying

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

No I'm not. I'm comparing a specific example with dates and the same weekend events process.

One lifted the NDA one did not.

Guild Wars 2 Beta wiki

Yeah so what i said. You expect ESO to follow same beta patterns as GW2. Moreover you are comparing an open  beta weekend of GW2 with closed beta weekend of ESO.

Who made this rule that that if beta testing is on weekends it has to be open?

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I have been playing the beta and hopefully im not breaking NDA by saying I don't think they are trying to hide anything .but as in any beta there may be a few bugs here and their which people seem to get upset about even tho it is beta if you want to hate on a game or something about it peed you off, its simple don't play it
This discussion has been closed.