Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I miss the thrill of discovery of my first mmo's..Remember these

ttomm46ttomm46 Member UncommonPosts: 446

First one ever for me was Meridian 59,,,then came Underlight..........I was new to computers and finding these was a real fun experience...anyone else remember your first MMO's?

Comments

• ViperDragonViperDragon Member UncommonPosts: 101
    My first MMO was WoW!  This was 5+ years ago, so I'm still an MMORPG newbie.

A great list of free games (mostly MMORPGs): http://www.mytop10games.com/

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by ViperDragon
    My first MMO was WoW!  This was 5+ years ago, so I'm still an MMORPG newbie.

Your lucky

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I had been using computers for a long time already when I played Ultima Online.  For some reason I missed on the first MMOs like Meridian 59.  I also never played any of the text based MUDs.  I did play a lot of single player RPGs starting with Nintendo/Super Nintendo.  I think Ultima Online was my first CRPG, but it may have been Baldur's Gate.  I can't remember what life was like entirely at the time or why I played it.  I think I was just looking for another CRPG to play.  It was a little different with Everquest.  I started playing EQ because I couldn't take all the player killing in Ultima Online.  Once I got to Everquest I must have played it for at least until World of Warcraft came out.  I did find things to be a lot more interesting because of the lack of automated things.  It was more like diving into a world that was devoid of modern day devices.  Something similar to what people probably experienced before technology in a time where there were parts of the earth that were still uncharted.  That's part of the experience I liked about the first RPGs.  It's something that's gone in modern day RPGs.  They are now a representation of the current day instead of old times.
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    My first was The Realm and those were grand old times.
  • ttomm46ttomm46 Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Interesting comments....There was one text I tried and they charged by the minute i believe...i'm also basically an MMO rookie also.
  • GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

I dunno. Try vanguard. Listen the reason why people find MMOs thrilling at first is because its a puzzle for the mind to solve. How do I do well in this totally different universe. But by the time you have played a lot of MMOs you can really just hit the ground running and quickly advance in them. So for the most part they become dull.

There are some possibilities that you can try - like Vanguard, or TSW etc. But I think its unlikely you will match that first feeling. Lots of people think sex is similar - you know the whole Chris Rock thing.. With the new factor gone its not going to be like it was then.

I think some of the modern games are flat out better then older ones but because of the jaded effect that comes with experience people miss out. Cars are another thing that come to mind. Lots of guys will tell you there 70's muscle car was faster then anything around. In reality a Camry is likely a better car in most real life metrics..

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I played a ton of MUDs before MMORPG came out. I tried UO but the mechanics behind the game were so poor that I didn't stick with it. My first love in MMORPG was EQ and I really miss those days.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by ttomm46

First one ever for me was Meridian 59,,,then came Underlight..........I was new to computers and finding these was a real fun experience...anyone else remember your first MMO's?

Yes. UO. Very bad experience. I am glad MMOs are much better games now.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Pretty shocked when I checked today that one of the 1st MUDs I remember playing back in 1995 or so is actually still going:

Might actually log in for old time's sake lol although I doubt it would hold the same magic today. Seemed pretty damn cool back in '95 though:

http://www.mystic-adventure.org/

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

UO was a difficult experience, but it was a lot of fun if you got past the PVP ganking and looting.  The actual skills and world were pretty nice.  I remember there was song kind of song skill that would stop everyone from attacking.  There was a good anti PVP song.  You had to be careful of PvPers.  They either attacked in groups or they attacked quickly and ported away if they were losing.  It did make me leave the game eventually for EQ, but it was a lot more challenging than fighting NPCs if that's what you like.  They were real bad guys.  There was a animal taming skill as well.  I recall that most people would tame and leave a dragon in their house to guard their loot.  You also couldn't steal from people in town.  I recall stealing by accident and the guards instant killed me a few times lol.  At any rate there were a lot of fun things in the game.  I believe because of the PvP/looting most people jumped ship as soon as there was an MMO without it.  The same thing happened when a game was made where you could level quickly.  It doesn't really matter if those games were fun or provided a lot of memorable moments.  People will always move towards the easiest path.  I went from UO -> EQ -> WoW.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Interesting; I hadn't thought about that. EQ is certainly easier than UO (no gankers), and WoW is certainly easier than EQ (fast leveling, soloability, etc).

Now then, why doesn't some company make a game that is even easier. Perhaps the diminishing returns threshold was already reached long ago.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

All though I've been playing RPG games when I was a kid, my first MMORPG was WoW at launch, some 10 years ago.

Can't believe it's such a long time ago :-)

It was a great experience. The gaming experience was much slower than MMORPGs now. There was some kind of tranquility, serenity. I don't think it's the first MMO experience that made my WoW experience so great. The game was simply very good. Socializing for no reason, slow but rewarding dungeons, working and watching your expenses so you can buy your next skills and transportations, all those details made it feel like a real open world.

Since WoW I've been trying out quite a lot of alternatives.

• NurofenNurofen Member Posts: 32

I was playing SWG very intensely but then WoW as soon as it came out and it had this magic and serenity to it, it was quite relaxing and beautiful for the most part, with great music too (night elf starting area)  until you got much higher in level and things got progressively more challenging/competitive.

I have played lots of other MMOs since but none has managed to reproduce the WoW feeling, especially the night elf starting area : Tedrasil, Dolanaar and then crossing over to Auberdine, Astranaar - all beautifully landscape, music, atmosphere, variety of terrain (beach, mountains, caves).

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Nah i manage to find a lot of enjoyment discovering new areas in just about any game.I just hate the dumbest simpleton ideas like handing out rewards for stepping into a new zone or some new fancy title or whatever,it is cool enough for me if they just make the zones nice to discover,i don't need any superficial pat on the back.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326

Most first experiences are the best... in just about every walk of life.  Except for one first experience that was rather embarrassing for everyone involved but I won't go into that.  

It is why time appears to speed up as you get older, once you have experienced certain things not so much time and attention is required to 'learn the ropes'.  Rather  you become world weary and stumble through oft repeated situations like a somnambulist.  

I would love to go back to vanilla wow (which was the first real mmo I spent a lot of time in) and experience it through virgin eyes, but alas I only get to try to recapture the beauty of that first foray into the world of mmo's while growing progressively more bitter that the moment has passed.  

Or some such shit.  

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    My first was Ultima Online, what an experience!
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Flyte27

UO was a difficult experience, but it was a lot of fun if you got past the PVP ganking and looting.  The actual skills and world were pretty nice.

nah ...

clicking on rocks endless to mine is boring. The skill system is just not fun to me. Tank mage, housing ghettos .. there are lots of things wrong with UO except FFA pvp .. although that is the big one.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Mine was everquest. Didn't get too far in but it was fun.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by Flyte27

UO was a difficult experience, but it was a lot of fun if you got past the PVP ganking and looting.  The actual skills and world were pretty nice.

nah ...

clicking on rocks endless to mine is boring. The skill system is just not fun to me. Tank mage, housing ghettos .. there are lots of things wrong with UO except FFA pvp .. although that is the big one.

Or perhaps you simply couldn't handle it. Personally, UO was the best MMO experience i've ever had. It can even teach you lessons that you might not learn in life. Be cautious and prepared. Learn how to work with people in a difficult world. But I guess some players are just there to be killed, and have no desire to fight, or craft, or fish, or treasure hunt, or build a community, or make poisons and poison food, or tinker, or tailor, or steal, or tame dragons, or even make peace through music! 

• ttomm46ttomm46 Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Originally posted by TribeofOne
    My first was The Realm and those were grand old times.

Whoops..I forgot the Realm