Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: Will it Work?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Carbine’s upcoming MMO seems to be winning far and wide, but will it actually be a success?  Gareth Harmer takes a closer look at some of the common arguments against WildStar.

Read more of Gareth Harmer's WildStar: Will It Work?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404

it seems to complicated for the older crowd like me perhaps.

anyways, the 3 or 4 paths is explorer, =fun at the start of the game ill bet.

builder= allso fun at start of the game.

warrior= this one will last

and finally the science= also fun and will last long

besides this and that i havent slept for 2 days is that the game will rock in a few years.

but then will disco. atleast i think so.

personally i really looking forward to the character creator.

my two shillings.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

My opinion is a big NO.................... it won't work.

The Social aspect of the game is not there, it is still too solo friendly, there is not incentive to group or to comunicate with other players unless you are in a Guild.

I have to be honest though, the Dungeons and probably the Raids have an Old School mechanics, so I acknowledge that Carabine was trying hard to give this game an Old School feel.

Unfortunately to me it feels too much like WoW but with less charm.

Yes Wildstar is really similar to Vanilla WoW (which I love) but for some reason do not have the same "X Faxtor" that WoW has.

PS: Last Rant............... Quest Hubbing has to die........ really.

It's ruining games which otherwise might have been decent.

• jadiusmaxjadiusmax Member UncommonPosts: 31

I love companies trying things, and im certainly not out there generating a super sweet game so i think everyone should give any game a shot..buuuut,

Gear specific to class.....uggghhh

want to play x role, use these skills..... ugggghhhh...(looks like zero creativity in builds)

Classes limited by race.... uggghhhh...

i will say that it would be amazing if they did in fact manage to attain 'clone' status..as it is been my argument that though many people call games wow clones, no game has EVER come close to cloning vanilla wow.

And the art looks freakin great..so who knows.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Only speaking to the art style, its going to come down to love it or hate it.  There's no getting out of that, some people just cant stand the stylized dreamworks/pixarish look and siliness.

The rest of it is going to come down to how fluid and varied the combat is, and the content.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Will it work? No. questing, dungeons, crafting and battle grounds. I really don't care how you spin these things, after the shinny wares off, it's the same old same.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

There is a much simpler way to look at it,what is Wildstar doing that people think is so much better or different from the last few hundred MMORPG's ?

If you are not going to be unique or vastly different in a good way,then the only thing left is to at least look good doing the same old.I seriously do not think Widlstar is doing anything that would warrant leaving my games i already play to play WS.

More importantly "my time" what does WS offer that warrants me spending my time on it?I cannot think of anything,so what these so called ravers are going on about is a mystery to me.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Will it work? No. questing, dungeons, crafting and battle grounds. I really don't care how you spin these things, after the shinny wares off, it's the same old same.

But then look at GW2. It is just exactly the same thing with a very thin paint job to hide it is, yet people so openly embraced it as change. Sure its hype died pretty quickly on that end, but it was enough to spark interest.  Heck, FF14 ARR was an old school MMO practically, yet it received so much attention and enjoyment, not even attempting to hide it was an old school MMo designed.

The reason those systems are in play are since it WORKS. A game won't fail because it has it. Games are better with it, its not about having less of it, its about having more options including those that can make a game do well.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    It will work because its sci fiimage

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I think it may but not because they will get my sub =-) thats all I can say.
  • seigardseigard Member UncommonPosts: 286

So wait, you are saying that this game wont get us bored in end-game due to its combat being more dynamic? hell it is exact same of guild wars 2 or neverwinter, you see an area of attack indicated ( talk about easy games) then you roll over, so how is this supposed to keep me playing a game?

I'm totally irritated by mmorpg.com due to their wildstar hype, its not even realistic to be honest...

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Purutzil

But then look at GW2. It is just exactly the same thing with a very thin paint job to hide it is, yet people so openly embraced it as change. Sure its hype died pretty quickly on that end, but it was enough to spark interest.  Heck, FF14 ARR was an old school MMO practically, yet it received so much attention and enjoyment, not even attempting to hide it was an old school MMo designed.

The reason those systems are in play are since it WORKS. A game won't fail because it has it. Games are better with it, its not about having less of it, its about having more options including those that can make a game do well.

As a theme park, I've always thought of GW2 as the "Space Mountain" of the genre. The rails are still there, you just don't see them. It's great at 1st but eventually, you begin to "feel" where the rails are. But IMO, one of GW2's greatest strengths is also one of it's greatest weaknesses. The lack of any kind of organized raiding in End Game. But at the same time, the flip side of the coin for WoW, is that the same argument applies. WoW's endgame is far too "raid-centric". The gear levels go to high 500s and 600s for the cloak. But if you don't raid, you will most likely never break much beyond the very low 500s.

How about a "meet-in-the-middle" approach to endgame? Does Wildstar offer this?

As far as the idea that any game offering the traditional Theme Park design failing just for that reason, I'd like to point out that both FF14:ARR and SWTOR sold 1.5 and 2.2 Million boxes respectively. That was by players knowing full well, these games were offering a traditional Theme Park experience. That's a lot of people who still want the classic "WoW" game. Other Theme Park MMOs didn't fail because they tried to deliver the classic experience, they failed (Or had less success than hoped for) because they DID NOT deliver the classic MMO experience.

• GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225
    Originally posted by seigard

So wait, you are saying that this game wont get us bored in end-game due to its combat being more dynamic? hell it is exact same of guild wars 2 or neverwinter, you see an area of attack indicated ( talk about easy games) then you roll over, so how is this supposed to keep me playing a game?

I'm totally irritated by mmorpg.com due to their wildstar hype, its not even realistic to be honest...

I've played both GW2 and Neverwinter, and I still play GW2 regularly. I still think that WildStar's combat system is significantly better than both in PvP and PvE. But having a good combat system is only part of it - page 2 talks more about grouping and providing regular content updates, both of which are critical at keeping us interested.

Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

For you perhaps, you have seen it all probably in a game like WoW, but a new generation is coming, players that have not countlessly done WoW and their grinds, so it is new to them and maybe they are aiming at that generation?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• evryman13evryman13 Member UncommonPosts: 19

I think it has a better shot than average to succeed.  I am a new join to this website, but I have read plenty of the comments in the last couple months.  While reading these forums I see a recurring theme, negativity and elitism.  I think there are plenty of people out there who want any new game to fail simply because it doesn't fit their mold of what makes a good MMO.  I have seen plenty of comments where it seems they are genuinely upset WS, ESO, etc.  I am more than open to opposing views, that spurs good discussion, but what is the point of commenting on a game you absolutely despise.  It is your opinion, but if you don't plan on playing the game because you hate the subgenre, you don't like the payment model, or you are tired of a certain mechanic, what are you adding to the discussion besides "this game sucks, its the same old thing".  It isn't constructive and usually starts an argument by getting off topic.  I bet even this post will ignite someone to spew hatred toward me and how I'm stifling free speech.  If you like sand box titles, great, theme park, awesome, but preferring one over the other doesn't make you above the fray.    

"Those who stay will be champions"

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    It's a shameless themepark- but I am looking forward to it.  It looks like it will be better than any others released in the last few years.  
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by evryman13

I think it has a better shot than average to succeed.  I am a new join to this website, but I have read plenty of the comments in the last couple months.  While reading these forums I see a recurring theme, negativity and elitism.  I think there are plenty of people out there who want any new game to fail simply because it doesn't fit their mold of what makes a good MMO.  I have seen plenty of comments where it seems they are genuinely upset WS, ESO, etc.  I am more than open to opposing views, that spurs good discussion, but what is the point of commenting on a game you absolutely despise.  It is your opinion, but if you don't plan on playing the game because you hate the subgenre, you don't like the payment model, or you are tired of a certain mechanic, what are you adding to the discussion besides "this game sucks, its the same old thing".  It isn't constructive and usually starts an argument by getting off topic.  I bet even this post will ignite someone to spew hatred toward me and how I'm stifling free speech.  If you like sand box titles, great, theme park, awesome, but preferring one over the other doesn't make you above the fray.    

I totally agree with you, some people just want to jump up and down and say "hey look at me".

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

WoW clones fail because people who want to play a game very similar to WoW are already playing WoW and invested in it.  The people who for whatever reason are not playing WoW now are generally not looking for a game that's almost exactly the same as WoW.

What does this game have to offer that WoW doesn't?  The scifi setting? 40 man raids?  Ok, there is improved combat but that's about it.  For a game 9 years younger than WoW the graphics are hardly any better.  WoW will even likely have better character models come next expansion.  I see Wildstar as releasing a product that there is almost no demand for.

• GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225
    Originally posted by reeereee

WoW clones fail because people who want to play a game very similar to WoW are already playing WoW and invested in it.  The people who for whatever reason are not playing WoW now are generally not looking for a game that's almost exactly the same as WoW.

What does this game have to offer that WoW doesn't?  The scifi setting? 40 man raids?  Ok, there is improved combat but that's about it.  For a game 9 years younger than WoW the graphics are hardly any better.  WoW will even likely have better character models come next expansion.  I see Wildstar as releasing a product that there is almost no demand for.

You're right, but that's part of what Gaffney mentioned. If you're playing WoW and loving it, great. He's focused on people that have quit that game (and others) and are looking for something new, or haven't tried an MMO before.

As to why it's better? For now the combat's better, the questing is better, the dungeons are more interesting and the PvP battlegrounds are much more fun. But longer term is an unknown because we haven't seen endgame. We've heard details of raids that change every week, massive warplots, and regular content updates that might be as frequent as GW2. Hopefully, we'll get more concrete information in the next few months.

Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • bandelbandel Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by ste2000

My opinion is a big NO.................... it won't work.

The Social aspect of the game is not there, it is still too solo friendly, there is not incentive to group or to comunicate with other players unless you are in a Guild.

I have to be honest though, the Dungeons and probably the Raids have an Old School mechanics, so I acknowledge that Carabine was trying hard to give this game an Old School feel.

Unfortunately to me it feels too much like WoW but with less charm.

Yes Wildstar is really similar to Vanilla WoW (which I love) but for some reason do not have the same "X Faxtor" that WoW has.

PS: Last Rant............... Quest Hubbing has to die........ really.

It's ruining games which otherwise might have been decent.

I keep hearing this phrase "X Factor". Nobody seems to be able to expound upon it. What is it that Blizzard did that Carbine is not to give them that "X Factor" or edge? 

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

The game takes this whole "not taking itself serious"-approach way over the top for my taste.

It's whole presentation is all just fun, running gags and nonsense to a point where i cant take it serious as well. Not to say that it's not a quality game, but a little more "grit" would do no harm.

• evryman13evryman13 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I think the "X-Factor" for WoW is the time invested.  I think people are primed to leave Wow, not for any MMO in particular, but for the multitude that are on the horizon.   Whether it be sandbox or theme park, the market is primed for a Wow exodus.  But there is that pesky "X-Factor".  I think the reason it hasn't been quantified is because the majority of people think it is some aspect of game design, lore, or community.  But in my opinion, this is just my opinion, I think people are afraid to leave WoW because of how much time they have invested in it already, assuming you have been playing for a while.  I know I was a little apprehensive to leave WoW during Cata, which is why I came back.  I quite MoP a month ago and it is very hard to not want to play again, not because I like the game that much, but because I've spent so much time building these characters, these virtual memories, and real life friends.  And over the years I have attempted to pick up other games, but that "X-Factor" wasn't there.  it took me a while to realize that it wasn't WoW, but time invested that brought me back.  For me personally, I'm excited for WS, ESO, and EQNext.  But I know in order to really seal the deal for me it isn't going to necessarily be the game per se, but my patience to invest in the game and its community like I did WoW.  Good discussion guys. 

"Those who stay will be champions"

• PacketdancerPacketdancer Member UncommonPosts: 1

The combat is honestly the big draw for me.  

As called out in the article, after playing with WildStar combat, I go back to LotRO or FFXIV or whatever, and I feel like I'm "glued" in place.  Sure, sometimes I may have to shift around a particularly big telegraph in other games, but it's not like WildStar combat where positioning yourself (and positioning the enemies so you can line up a shot) is half of the strategy, beyond just "find the right skill rotation".  That may not be to everyone's tastes, but I *have* found it to mine.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

Some people won't like the art style or the nature of the game.  This is true for any game.  What I like about Wildstar is that it knows what kind of game it wants to be and it excels at it, it doesn't try to be something that appeals to everybody.  I don't think whether or not it appeals to people who are outside the market they are targeting is of particular concern.

Whether or not it will work is something I don't think you can figure out from a feature checklist.  From what I have played it is fun, plain and simple.  Whether or not it is fun 3 months down the line is something we have to experience to know for certain.  They do seem to have put a lot of thought into making sure it is fun, and that they can produce content at a fast pace.  IMHO I think they have all the ingredients for success, all that is left is the execution and follow through.  If they do not stumble I think they will have a winner.

I have seen concerns of combat being too twitchy, all I can say that it was one of my concerns as well but after playing it, it really isn't bad.  It feels rather natural and while their is a lot more movement than WoW, it doesn't feel like an ability button spam fest.(like WoW does)  I really enjoyed the pacing of the combat despite being an old fart.  I do hope they have official controller support in the game(for keyboard + controller not instead of) as I have a feeling it would work beautifully with this game, and easier on my old hands.

Just like any game in the MMORPG space these days, it is a wait and see but I am highly optimistic.

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

I still think this game looks incredible and cant believe the hate it gets. First lets be honest the combat in GW2 is straight up BETTER then the combat in WoW. But hey GW2 doesn't have roles and it doesn't have quests, and it doesn't have raids..

This game is like the new WoW it takes a bunch of stuff - and tries to do it better then anyone else has done it. Is that the same as trying to invent new mechanics? No. So what.. Doing things well is more then enough.

As far as the art style - gameplay will triumph. I didn't like the art of WoW over EQ2. So what - WoW played much better. This game will rock.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I agree with you.

Every year we think this will be the "one". We need all developers to get together and make only one game so we all stay focused on it instead of hopping from one to the other. Sorry to say it seems we grow bored very quickly. :(

Maybe it's time to go back to Pen and Paper games. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.