Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am sorry

OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Hello.

I'm a fan of the prerelease GW2, the one that Colin Johanson told us so much about, the game that never came to be.

I believed Colin when he said he wanted to make a game that wasn't grindy.

I believed Colin when he said he wanted to make a game that wasn't pay to win.

It was a lie. GW2 is grindy. GW2 is pay to win.

Legendary Weapons are BIS. Ascended armor and accessories are BIS. Legendary and Ascended have ridiculous material lists and are time gated... unless you buy the required mats from the TP.

How might one go about obtaining gold to purchase said implements of end-game destruction you might ask? Well hero, one easy way is to purchase gems with real money and then convert them to gold. (Hence forth known as PAY TO WIN.)

We were told that the gear in GW2 would be fluff, cosmetic, without power creep. We were lied to.

I am sorry that I spoke out for this game and its developers. I am sorry that I may have misled people by repeating the lies I was told. I promised that if I were wrong I'd return and say as much and here I am. I was wrong. Gw2 is in fact grindy and pay to win.

Comments

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    Do you mean you loose if you have only exotic weapon and armor?
  • OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    Originally posted by Nasa

Haha!

Yes, you lose about 5% and/or weeks of grinding.

BIS stands for best in slot. The best gear is incredibly grindy to obtain in-game but is for sale for real money.

Good luck equipping alts!

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    I was actually very surprised how grindy this game was since it basically prided itself on being the opposite.
  • FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159
    How do you propose they solve the dilemma of "how do we keep them coming back?"

They wanted to make a game where you log in and just "have fun". But that's a load of bull.
    No one does something just for the heck of it. There's always a carrot and that carrot takes on many forms.
  • OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    Originally posted by Fappuccino
    How do you propose they solve the dilemma of "how do we keep them coming back?"

They wanted to make a game where you log in and just "have fun". But that's a load of bull.
    No one does something just for the heck of it. There's always a carrot and that carrot takes on many forms.

Hi Fappuccino, you should ask Colin Johanson, although I think his response may currently be, "Sell them powerful items for real money."

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Well the game isn't that bad, but it certainly wasn't what people were saying about it either pre-release.

I accept your apology.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Huh? GW2 is "grindy"? Really? Are you new to the genre, because you haven't seen a real "grind" yet.

That said, it's all personal taste. If you can't enjoy the many, many things to do in the game, then offcourse it will feel like a grind. That usually indicates you need to start playing something else.

And I just laugh at the pay-to-win comment.

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566

Grind? Yes, extremely!

Pay to win? No.

• StarS0ftStarS0ft Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

Hello.

I'm a fan of the prerelease GW2, the one that Colin Johanson told us so much about, the game that never came to be.

Legendary Weapons are BIS. Ascended armor and accessories are BIS. Legendary and Ascended have ridiculous material lists and are time gated... unless you buy the required mats from the TP.

How might one go about obtaining gold to purchase said implements of end-game destruction you might ask? Well hero, one easy way is to purchase gems with real money and then convert them to gold. (Hence forth known as PAY TO WIN.)

We were told that the gear in GW2 would be fluff, cosmetic, without power creep. We were lied to.

I am sorry that I spoke out for this game and its developers. I am sorry that I may have misled people by repeating the lies I was told. I promised that if I were wrong I'd return and say as much and here I am. I was wrong. Gw2 is in fact grindy and pay to win.

+3% to stats of  "more powerful items" in skill based game? it's nothing. Just illusion for some stupid ppl who like gring and don't understand mehanic and scream about "BIS" items.

Did u try to win in sPvP using TP?! LOL

Or may be u can win in WWW using TP? LOL 2 times. 

Where u can win in GW2 using TP? Answer plz! Right answer: nowhere.

• mastersam21mastersam21 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    IMO Gw2 is one of the least grindy MMORPG out there and most definitely not pay to win in any form.
  • TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Guild Wars 2 is grindy? Has anyone played Guild Wars 1 in this thread, you know nothing about grind.
  • zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

imagine if  you had £50,000 to spend in the shop

would you suddenly become  the best player in the game

i do not even think you would notice a difference

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Originally posted by Torcip
    Guild Wars 2 is grindy? Has anyone played Guild Wars 1 in this thread, you know nothing about grind.

Guild Wars 1? Grindy? What?

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283

hallelujah, another one has woken up!

boring pve once you have 100% world completion.

pathetic crafting where you either buy mats or grind forever to get them.

uninteresting pvp.

grindfest zerg in wvw, you take their tower, they take it back, you take their tower etc, a pattern is appearing here.

no mounts, not really necessary given the wp's but would be a bonus feature to add variety.

etc, etc, etc...

note: I still play, but only until I find a replacement that actually lives up to the hype!

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by zasten

hallelujah, another one has woken up!

boring pve once you have 100% world completion.

pathetic crafting where you either buy mats or grind forever to get them.

uninteresting pvp.

grindfest zerg in wvw, you take their tower, they take it back, you take their tower etc, a pattern is appearing here.

no mounts, not really necessary given the wp's but would be a bonus feature to add variety.

etc, etc, etc...

note: I still play, but only until I find a replacement that actually lives up to the hype!

You'll be playing Guild Wars 2 until zombies take over the Earth then. Don't listen to the hype personally and there you go, everything just became awesomer. That's what I do.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Aeander
    Originally posted by Torcip

Guild Wars 1? Grindy? What?

Grindy for appearance gear and titles? Yep.

Grindy for maximum character power? Not even close. You could literally be level 20 with the best armour on in 2-3 days of normal playtime.

GW2 - sure the difference might only be 5%ish more in stats, but the fact of the matter is that there is power tiers just like in WoW, and it is far more grindy to get the best tier.  It is the exact opposite of what they promised.  I can make a new character in WoW and get it wearing the BiS gear 10x quicker than I could in GW2 right now.  It missed the mark by a very very long shot.  

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

How do you propose they solve the dilemma of "how do we keep them coming back?"They wanted to make a game where you log in and just "have fun". But that's a load of bull. No one does something just for the heck of it. There's always a carrot and that carrot takes on many forms.
    I know this is laughed at these days, but giving players a living, breathing community many times keep them coming back. Allow (not force) players to make friends and they will log back in. Sure some care naught for community and such, but let them move on and what is left could be a nice surprise :)

Story is THE big "longevity killer", in my eyes. Once a story is done, what do you do? Close the book and seek another story. Or, you could just keep adding more and more ridiculously powerful bad guys to fight to try to extend a story that was never meant to be extended.

Just some thoughts :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

How do you propose they solve the dilemma of "how do we keep them coming back?"They wanted to make a game where you log in and just "have fun". But that's a load of bull. No one does something just for the heck of it. There's always a carrot and that carrot takes on many forms.

I know this is laughed at these days, but giving players a living, breathing community many times keep them coming back. Allow (not force) players to make friends and they will log back in. Sure some care naught for community and such, but let them move on and what is left could be a nice surprise :)

Story is THE big "longevity killer", in my eyes. Once a story is done, what do you do? Close the book and seek another story. Or, you could just keep adding more and more ridiculously powerful bad guys to fight to try to extend a story that was never meant to be extended.

Just some thoughts :)

I agree, its always the community in a game that will either make it or break it for me, its one of the things i liked most about SWG back in the day, the game had lots of problems, bugs that were probably there from day one and never got fixed to any real degree, but the players made all the difference, there was no story, just game mechanics and a bunch of awesome people playing the game, sometimes people do just play the game for the hell of it, rather than because their after obtaining some rare and epic loot etc. image

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
    I was actually very surprised how grindy this game was since it basically prided itself on being the opposite.

It wasn't when it launched. Peak power was extremely easy to get. Then people started to get bored and wanted new content to - believe or not - grind so that they would have something to do.

In comes the concept of Ascended Gear and out goes the concept of a non-grindy game.

That's basically it. ANet buckled under the content locust whiners.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Nasa

Haha!

Yes, you lose about 5% and/or weeks of grinding.

BIS stands for best in slot. The best gear is incredibly grindy to obtain in-game but is for sale for real money.

Good luck equipping alts!

strange: I out DPS/Tank BIS geared players easily in my poor exotic armor+weaponry.

Since 'GW2 is P2W' according to you I guess I am just one of those awesome F2P players that beats P2W players then.

To the OP: this game is not like WoW where gear > everything else, it's just a matter of L 2 P.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• SandvichSandvich Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112

It wasn't when it launched. Peak power was extremely easy to get. Then people started to get bored and wanted new content to - believe or not - grind so that they would have something to do.

In comes the concept of Ascended Gear and out goes the concept of a non-grindy game.

That's basically it. ANet buckled under the content locust whiners.

Well, that's close... what they did to appease those that wanted more was add a new maximum tier that isn't all that much higher than exotic (so it won't "break" existing content) yet is a definite time sink for players that want to go for it and have that as a goal. I still wear all exotics in WvW without issues and am taking my time working towards some ascended armor, but for what I do it's a small enough of a difference that there's no actual pressure or "must have" involved. So I wouldn't say they "bucked", I'd say they added something people want yet did so in a way that didn't deviate from the core concepts of the game by keeping the tier optional and not necessary to access content (with the possible exception of high end fractals, but that access is gated by players demanding more AR than is actually needed). 

• SandvichSandvich Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by rastapastor
    The OP post is not even an opinion, it's just a troll ;)

At least he got the title right. image

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Meh, these aren't big deals to me at all. The game certainly isn't P2W, how people misuse this term so often is beyond me. Players want progression and if you want to call that grinding then so be it, but the players want something to aim for.

The problems with GW2 are about how dumbed down it is and how zergy they made the pvp and how terrible the dungeons are. The game was flawed pre beta, this isn't a post release thing.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Hello.

Ummm no

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.