Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playstation 4 Sells Over 4 Million Units

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/68244/playstation-4-sells-over-4-million-units

"Sony announced at CES this morning that the PlayStation 4 has sold through to consumers 4.2 million units of its next-generation console as of December 28. Sony's new console reached the one million milestone within 24 hours of its release and went up to 2.1 million units worldwide by December 1.

Yesterday, Microsoft announced that the Xbox One sold over three million units by the end of 2013."

And it has not even released in Japan yet, so you can probably expect that number to be boosted greatly once it does.

Comments

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

do you trust what politician say before they elected?

i trust none of them and care not about who win. just show me awsome games and you get my $$$

• FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159
    Has Sony been able to meet demand?
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by squalleonaha

i trust none of them and care not about who win. just show me awsome games and you get my $$$

Even my friends who are hardcore xbox fanboys that bought all the exclusives on xbone were disappointed by its games, and i saw why when i went over and played them.

Killer Instinct only has 6 characters, i think the first mortal kombat had more right?  I would rather get Injustice which is a far superior fighting game and its on PS4.

Ryse was buggy as hell, the first time I played it a bug made me reset the game in the first level where I fight people with the Dad because all the NPCs stopped moving all of a sudden.  And short, linear and repetitive.

Forza is just bad, controls were bad and expected better graphics for a next gen console. 

Dead Rising was alright but nothing awsome or a system seller.  And clunky controls.

PS4 might not have had as many launch exclusives but at least they were of quality and polished.  On top of that I can download a lot of free games like mmos and AAA single player games.

Most important thing is whats to come in the next 7 years.  And by looking at the last gen, sony has proven to have the better exclusives in its consoles life span.  Hell A PS3 exclusive The Last of Us just won game of the year on GT, not one xbox game was even in the list of nominees.  And personally it did have the better exclusives last gen in my opinion. 

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495
    Originally posted by squalleonaha

Your second statement I completely agree with.

The first one, well.. It's kinda hard to lie about how many units you have sold.. That kinda thing can be, you know, fact checked. And make no mistake, when the taxman commeth, that number best not be a lie.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    I imagine they'll be selling a lot more soon now that China is lifting the ban on foreign consoles they've had in place for over a decade. That ban is the reason PC gaming is so popular over there and now that Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft can sell their wares over there i'd guess that the PC market is going to become heavily diluted.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    They both sold enough that to a game maker it doesn't really matter.  If you're buying it because more people did, you're a sheeple. Both have enough features that you should be picking it based on what you want and which one has them.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    They both sold enough that to a game maker it doesn't really matter.  If you're buying it because more people did, you're a sheeple. Both have enough features that you should be picking it based on what you want and which one has them.

Well many games now and in the future will have some kind of multi-player mode especially now that more and more mmorpgs will be coming to consoles like Elder Scrolls Online.  And those kind of games require much population to be fun.  For example square stated that they will be adding more servers to final fantasy xiv for its release on PS4.  The game is already has a pretty high population because of its cross platform servers with PS3 and PC.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Originally posted by Fappuccino
    Dear God, no.

PS4 could definitely be at 5 million if they had the units.

Also, PS4 has sold 9.7 million software(retail and digital) for an attach ratio of 2.3.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

its not that they cannot meet demand. They delibratly short supply to keep demand high.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by xeniar

its not that they cannot meet demand. They delibratly short supply to keep demand high.

How does that help keep them in demand? 

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by strawhat0981
    Originally posted by xeniar Originally posted by Fappuccino Has Sony been able to meet demand?

If a product doesn't have a next best alternative, then people respond to short supply of something by wanting that something more. They camp out at stores and are willing to pay a higher price for something, even though the shortage is usually a short term thing. You can see this in consoles being sold on eBay for much higher than their sticker price.

It's very different if there's an alternative product that meets the consumers' needs or desires, but with consoles, that's not really the case. Someone who wants a PS4 wants a PS4 and someone who wants an XB1 wants an XB1.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248

I bought 3 for the holidays. Myself, my room mate and my folks.

It's hopefully going to be my entertainment center for years to come now lol. :)

I don't plan on getting a PS V or Playstation 5 until at LEAST 2020. :)

Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by Psion33

I bought myself one, my room mate one and even my folks one. :)

PS4 is my complete entertainment system/console now. :)

Same for me, I'm completely addicted to Don't Starve at the moment.

What's that suppose to mean?

I have a cellar that is always stocked with 6 months of food. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Um, it means that I love playing Don't Starve on my PS4.

offtopic - i havent played the game but there was a recent kickstarter for Chester plushies

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/731983185/dont-starve-chester-plush

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

no idea what the demand is but Sony hoped to sell 5 million by March 2014

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/18/sony-hopes-to-sell-5-million-playstation-4-units-by-end-of-2013/

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Keep in mind Xbox 360 outsold PS3 at launch by a large margin but in the end PS3 ended up winning in units sold slightly outselling xbox 360 at the end of the last gen life cycle.SO this is a marathon not a sprint.

That being said PS3 managed it's comeback because it was technically superior hardware wise than the 360 AND because Sony has invested heavily in having a lot of1st party development studios creating exclusives for their platforms.Neither is true in Xbox Ones case to date.

Both next gen consoles are selling well enough that Third Party developers will create games for both.however PS4 outselling Xbox One initially may dissuade Third Party devs from making exclusive games for Xbox One which means they have to rely on their currently meager first party development.Also Kinect features will not be a priority for third party developers since PS4 doesn't come with such functionality included and it's maybe over half the console game market currently.

This of course is only my opinion and speculation of course.

I bought myself one, my room mate one and even my folks one. :)

PS4 is my complete entertainment system/console now. :)

Same for me, I'm completely addicted to Don't Starve at the moment.

What's that suppose to mean?

I have a cellar that is always stocked with 6 months of food. 

Um, it means that I love playing Don't Starve on my PS4.

OH. I didn't know that was a game. All I have atm is my batman game. :D

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

I'm one of  the 4 mill, everything about the PS4 whips the Xbox one. 

Complete living room entertainment at it's best.

Originally posted by lizardbones
    Originally posted by xeniar Originally posted by Fappuccino Has Sony been able to meet demand?

If a product doesn't have a next best alternative, then people respond to short supply of something by wanting that something more. They camp out at stores and are willing to pay a higher price for something, even though the shortage is usually a short term thing. You can see this in consoles being sold on eBay for much higher than their sticker price.

It's very different if there's an alternative product that meets the consumers' needs or desires, but with consoles, that's not really the case. Someone who wants a PS4 wants a PS4 and someone who wants an XB1 wants an XB1.

Only hardcore gamers think that way.

To casual gamers and their family the PS4 and the Xbox One are the same and I have seen a mother ask to buy a PS4, get told its sold out, then buy the Xbox One "because all these game systems are the same right?".

If Sony is holding back supply then its definitely NOT to artificially increase demand it would be to prepare for the Japan release.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885

I am curious about the comment on xbox one not yet launching in Japan. Do they expect to sell a lot of units there ? That seems odd considering their penchant for Playstation consoles.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by xeniar

Originally posted by Fappuccino Has Sony been able to meet demand?

To casual gamers and their family the PS4 and the Xbox One are the same and I have seen a mother ask to buy a PS4, get told its sold out, then buy the Xbox One "because all these game systems are the same right?".

If Sony is holding back supply then its definitely NOT to artificially increase demand it would be to prepare for the Japan release.

If the PS4 and the XB1 were interchangeable, then neither Sony nor Microsoft would allow for a shortage in supply. It would be too damaging to their sales. They both know that they can err on the side of lower production to be safe, and they will still sell the same number of units.

Console brand loyalty not only exists, it's quantifiable.
    Playstation Owners More Loyal
    Ignoring everything else about the article, what it shows is that the most likely result of something looking at one console or the other is that they have already chosen which one they want. They know what they want, so having the other one available isn't relevant to their purchasing choice.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Drakynn

Keep in mind Xbox 360 outsold PS3 at launch by a large margin but in the end PS3 ended up winning in units sold slightly outselling xbox 360 at the end of the last gen life cycle.SO this is a marathon not a sprint.

That being said PS3 managed it's comeback because it was technically superior hardware wise than the 360 AND because Sony has invested heavily in having a lot of1st party development studios creating exclusives for their platforms.Neither is true in Xbox Ones case to date.

Both next gen consoles are selling well enough that Third Party developers will create games for both.however PS4 outselling Xbox One initially may dissuade Third Party devs from making exclusive games for Xbox One which means they have to rely on their currently meager first party development.Also Kinect features will not be a priority for third party developers since PS4 doesn't come with such functionality included and it's maybe over half the console game market currently.

This of course is only my opinion and speculation of course.

But the WII outsolde both xbox 360 and PS3!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by Xiaoki

If the PS4 and the XB1 were interchangeable, then neither Sony nor Microsoft would allow for a shortage in supply. It would be too damaging to their sales. They both know that they can err on the side of lower production to be safe, and they will still sell the same number of units.

Console brand loyalty not only exists, it's quantifiable.
    Playstation Owners More Loyal
    Ignoring everything else about the article, what it shows is that the most likely result of something looking at one console or the other is that they have already chosen which one they want. They know what they want, so having the other one available isn't relevant to their purchasing choice.

Next time read your link beforehand.

An online survey of 155 people? Really?! Hilarious.

Also, did you forget that these things need to be manufactured? Its not like they can wave a wand and magically whisk up a million consoles.

Did you ever think that maybe, just maybe, that the shortage of supply isnt because of some insidious plot but because they dont have consoles made?

• _rch_rch Member UncommonPosts: 34
    oh, gosh.. i thought this were a forum for a specific genre on the PC console.. sorry i seem to have missplaced myselfe.
  • KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315

So let me get this straight.

In 4 weeks Sony sold 4 million PS4s

The Xbox One came out a week later and ..

In 3 weeks Microsoft sold 3 million Xbox Ones.

I don't really see a difference between them at this point so early since release.

(for the confused the math equals 1 million units sold per week for each one)

And as always there is not logical reason to be a fanboy of either one.  Either you want to play a game or you don't.  You buy the console that has the games you want to play.