Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recently came back, and.... left.

MalinkadinkMalinkadink Member UncommonPosts: 79

Recently i came back to WoW, made a new account got recruited and got to level 60 as a druid in about 15 hours played. Already making the decision to leave, this time for good. I've played since very late vanilla and then on and off throughout tbc, and wotlk. Played cata for a month following its release and left then only to come back recently this past summer for panda land and left after 3 weeks once i got a 90 and fully pvp geared, i just lost interest in the game quick, its lost its magic, yet it still has that nostalgia that keeps me coming back, though this time i've learned the old WoW that has left me with so many memories is long gone. There is no longer that nice feeling of challenge but ease at the same time and actually being excited about the rewards that took effort to acquire.

Hoping for that new gem of an mmo on the horizon to come along, but who knows when that will be, maybe blizzards new mmo (probably to be honest)  Guild wars 2 was the closest thing to a solid mmo recently albeit a huge themepark that lacked endgame and did a few things wrong in the form of making the world feel way too instanced and having you teleport 90% of the time for travel. Come to think of it i may play guild wars 2 again casually whenever i need a bit of an mmo fix :) 

Comments

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    You averaged a level every 15 minutes...  Maybe you need to slow down some.  

You make me like charity

• MalinkadinkMalinkadink Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    You averaged a level every 15 minutes...  Maybe you need to slow down some.  

I just have the need for speed ;) lol but seriously its because RAF bonus is huge and i was just tanking instances the whole way. Besides, i've done the leveling thing so many times before and i dont really find it all too enjoyiable when compared to activities at max level. Still within those 15 hours i realized the end was going to be the same as before and i lost motivation to play

EDIT: Its fine though, i don't really feel bad about not wanting to play it any longer, its a good thing more than it is bad. I'm 20 now and my priorities lie in going to school, job, and those two are really the big ones. WoW is a distraction to all that and a huge timesink that could hold me back from those responsibilities 

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I have been around since release and i still enjoy the game because i accepted it for what it was a long time go and also became a casual player after BC. I don't go chasing the best gear, i don't run top tier raids i just use that game as a form of entertainment in my downtime and that is how i have managed to keep up my interest.

Being around as long as i have and being in the same guild now for a few years i see people coming back time after time expecting to get something different from it, but they burn through the content and fade away again until the next significant patch or expansion. I think with pandaria and now with Warlords they are producing content that can hold the interest a little longer, but at the end of the day where there is finite content there will always be an end for those that reach for and achieve that end point.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• IDontThinkSoNoIDontThinkSoNo Member UncommonPosts: 57
    They recently invited me back to play for 10 days on my old account.  Was bored in 3.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Shadoed

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I have been around since release and i still enjoy the game because i accepted it for what it was a long time go and also became a casual player after BC. I don't go chasing the best gear, i don't run top tier raids i just use that game as a form of entertainment in my downtime and that is how i have managed to keep up my interest.

Being around as long as i have and being in the same guild now for a few years i see people coming back time after time expecting to get something different from it, but they burn through the content and fade away again until the next significant patch or expansion. I think with pandaria and now with Warlords they are producing content that can hold the interest a little longer, but at the end of the day where there is finite content there will always be an end for those that reach for and achieve that end point.

This is the only attitude that works on the long run..

If you run fast paced trough any games content, sooner or later you are going to burn out and leave. The idea behind WoW is to have progression and instant rewards for anything you do... but if thats all you want from the game, its going to hurt in the long run.. But if you make sure to have fun while progressing and getting your rewards, its actually the best gaming genre there is.

I have this attitude in any game i play these days, and it works quite well, instead of pl+aying less, it has me playing more again. 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    lol at people telling him to slow down WoW leveling, is that even possible short of afk'?
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
    lol at people telling him to slow down WoW leveling, is that even possible short of afk'?

Yes...  because he must use several bonusses to get in 15 hours from 1 to 60

On top of that there are NPC that you pay 10 gold and your level is frozen so you can finish the great solo stories (which none ever play right now after reaching level 15)  

On top of that, between dungeons, take time to talk with other people, after all MMos are a social thing..  

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128

This is so true. lol

You gotta avoid all XP gaining activities so that it will be slow. :D

• MalinkadinkMalinkadink Member UncommonPosts: 79

This is actually a very good post, i never looked at it that way, perhaps i shall begin to do so. WoW is a very easy game though there is such a huge amount of content where if one chooses to speed through it as fast as possible will get tired of it quick and stop playing

• Mr_SneakymanMr_Sneakyman Member UncommonPosts: 43

I usually stay in Azeroth for about six to eight months for each expansion. It's a great game (the pvp is, by far, the best part). It's great to revisit the old game, the old-school battlegrounds, see old friends and make new ones from all over the world. The best part of the WoW experience that I've had over the passed ten years has been the friends I've made, from Mexico to Japan (I play out of South Korea). That alone has been worth every nickle. Looking forward to seeing Az again soon.

• MMOVet82MMOVet82 Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Mr_Sneakyman

I usually stay in Azeroth for about six to eight months for each expansion. It's a great game (the pvp is, by far, the best part). It's great to revisit the old game, the old-school battlegrounds, see old friends and make new ones from all over the world. The best part of the WoW experience that I've had over the passed ten years has been the friends I've made, from Mexico to Japan (I play out of South Korea). That alone has been worth every nickle. Looking forward to seeing Az again soon.

I played during Vanilla. I took a Nelf Rogue to 60 and raided Molten Core. My guild was one of the first to take down Rags back in the day although the night we banged Lucy was by far our most exciting as he was the first real raid boss we encountered. Shortly afterward, my life took me away from the game and I didn't really play at all again until Sunwell was out for TBC. I ran an Orc Warlock up to level 68 on a dead, dead realm and was disenchanted with arenas and the structure of the current endgame to the extent that I stopped playing. I didn't intend for it to be forever...but it basically was. 

I just came back to the game last week. Here I am leveling a Troll Priest (I always pick the best race/class combo I can put together) and I'm seeing how things go. As I explained in my other thread up here: I haven't played long enough to see how I like the game today. TBC was where I had my nostalgic heartbreak moments. Now? I'm 31 years old and a different person than when I last played this game and between the fact that there's 90 levels to come climb and cross realm play - I'm enjoying it so far. We'll see how long I stick around. 

What I definitely don't like is this "free level 90" garbage that's coming with WoD. WoD actually has me extremely intrigued other than that little tidbit. 

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

WoW is a lot more enjoyable and fun if you leave the Heirloom gear in the bank, skip the chain-running of dungeons, and actually quest out in the world, do some gathering/crafting, some random open world PvP, pay attention to the story and the quests, etc.

Far, far too easy to burn out on WoW (again) if you just chain dungeons or PvP matches. So much more to do in the game.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

Best way to play WoW -- get off the gear rollercoaster.

Then things are seen for it's worth. I enjoy the game much better when not raiding nor PvP grinding (but still love thwarting Hordies when they come to town), as then the game is about hanging out and chilling, not fighting crazed looters!

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by BadSpock

WoW is a lot more enjoyable and fun if you leave the Heirloom gear in the bank, skip the chain-running of dungeons, and actually quest out in the world, do some gathering/crafting, some random open world PvP, pay attention to the story and the quests, etc.

Far, far too easy to burn out on WoW (again) if you just chain dungeons or PvP matches. So much more to do in the game.

Except when you're a returning player who may have leveled for the nth time.

After seeing the same thing over and over and over, yeah, power leveling is welcomed!

Power leveling to 90 for returnees: Full BoA gear and do every dungeon quest you can get (most XP while leveling other than in dungeon groups -- BGs were seriously nerfed so not a leveling option anymore). If you have the 300% MoP XP token (it's account bound), fill your quest log with the most XP quests (from dungeons, for example) you can find and turn them all in at once near a quest hub (best at level 88) do all of the quests nearby, as the token lasts only 1hr -- Dread Wastes and Klaxxi stuff is a good place for it. Rest at level 88 for the rested XP and 300% if possible for max gain (those last 2 levels are a PITA to get through without rested XP and/or token).

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

I completely agree.  Like most things in life, things change.  Those who can't deal with the change usually just bash the game.  

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Yes...  because he must use several bonusses to get in 15 hours from 1 to 60

On top of that there are NPC that you pay 10 gold and your level is frozen so you can finish the great solo stories (which none ever play right now after reaching level 15)  

On top of that, between dungeons, take time to talk with other people, after all MMos are a social thing..  

Instead of stopping level growth.  Just roll an alt and go through the content you didn't on this toon.  

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Different story for me but kind of same outcome. Didn't even bother about serious raiding only to tick off afew achievments. Guild raids were alright since it was a casual guild I was in but nothing beats stiring up all the LFR people by pretending it was my first raid. Popcorn and major lulz.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    I can't believe someone skipped most content and just power leveled via chain running dungeons and got bored. Crazy!!
  • PropheseusPropheseus Member UncommonPosts: 10

Originally posted by Malinkadink

Hoping for that new gem of an mmo on the horizon to come along, but who knows when that will be, maybe blizzards new mmo (probably to be honest) 

I enjoyed games from Blizzard back till 1994. But with Diablo 3 I got dissappointed for the first time in my life with the company. I guess depending on the fact it's Blizzard and it will be good is easy to conclude thanks to their pletora of succesfull games, but it's not set in stone. I am anticipating Titan project too, but thanks to Diablo 3 I am not counting on the next big thing within the MMO genre.

This. I always try this! But I always fail when I resub. The story is the same for me. Played Vanilla a long time and pretty hardcore, also TBC. Then I started to burn out on the game and started resubbing every few months. I begin to play solo content but at level 40'ish I either start burning the content with LFG or I take out one of mine old capped characters.

Maybe I should try again soon...

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

Some useful tips:

Play WoW as an open MMORPG:

1. You can stop experience by paying the Rogue in the capitols to enjoy the world and story.

2. You can combine point 1 with putting experience gains on again by doing PvP, so level through PvP only and assemble all gear through PVE without gaining experiience.

3. Or .... A very challenging mode is hardcore: you may only level in white gear. Only a handful of people made it to max level. 99.9999 % of the rest dies ...

Everyone talks about WoW being a roller coaster, but the above shows you can tune it like a sandbox by making great challenges.

What I remember from the hardcore for example is that these white gear items sold by merchants are quite functional and the game was a great great challenge to survive. I died 2 times in my 40's. Epic.

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    I left a month before patch 3.3 because I realized GC was about the totally trash the game. The DK invasion was bad enough but I could live with it, some of the zones were ok. But Cata was going to be too childlike for me to enjoy MOP certainly is, god help you all whatever this monstrosity is. Well at least there is some sort of psudo player housing now. But it would be nice if the game were fun to play again and put some theorycraft back into the game. 
  • RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

I don't think I would ever want to go back to WoW now, the game is a lot more bloated with un-needed features like Battle Pets and it doesn't have that "nostalgia" feel like it did between Vanilla to WotLK. Although Cataclysm was the best selling expansion but overall it was a mess and it's only gotten worse since. For a game that's going to be 10 this year, I guess WoW is one of those games that hasn't aged very well. We all keep talking about wanting to play something better or different but no-one is saying anything, instead everybody keeps running back to a dead end which is this game. :(

TLDR - Basically, WoW's just not fun anymore.

• ManamiManami Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by RudyRaccoon

I don't think I would ever want to go back to WoW now, the game is a lot more bloated with un-needed features like Battle Pets and it doesn't have that "nostalgia" feel like it did between Vanilla to WotLK. Although Cataclysm was the best selling expansion but overall it was a mess and it's only gotten worse since. For a game that's going to be 10 this year, I guess WoW is one of those games that hasn't aged very well. We all keep talking about wanting to play something better or different but no-one is saying anything, instead everybody keeps running back to a dead end which is this game. :(

I somewhat disagree with the overall state of World of Warcraft, I believe it is one of the better MMOs on the market at the moment. The game's subscriptions size, while shrinking, is still enormous compared to most games that support subscription based models. Effectively, there is a lot to do in World of Warcraft, you have PvP (battlegrounds, rated battlegrounds and arenas), raids, dungeons, professions, challenges, world bosses, achievements, obtaining rare mounts/pets, and pet battles.

To one of your other points, I don't think battle pets are an unnecessary addition to the game, it's just a feature that some people find enjoyable and other people do not. It's just something else to do in the game and gives people an extra feature to the game. It's no worse than some people enjoying raids and others finding enjoyment in PvP.

Regarding the Cataclysm expansion, it was a good addition to the game in terms of what it did to the starting areas. While I hear many arguments about how good the vanilla zones were, the overall experience was drastically improved. It added a bunch of lore and variety in quests to the beginning zones. The leveling experience through the higher level quest zones was one of the most enjoyable experiences in the expansion. Each area had a very interesting story about what was happening in the zone. While this was done to some extent in the previous expansions, it was amplified and expanded upon in the Cataclysm expansion. All of that being said, the end-game part of the expansion severely suffered at launch from a lack of balancing around 10-man raids and problems with the heroic instances. It had some sweet points, but overall suffered from a rocky end-game, which is what tends to retain attention from most players.

I think people become enchanted by the way World of Warcraft was the first time they played it, and come back to the game expecting that same feeling. I had similar nostalgic feelings with Everquest, which was the first MMO I ever played.  Chances are you probably already ran through every dungeon in the game and experienced every quest. Even if you have not, you probably are familiar with most of the quest set ups such as the classic fed-ex delivery, slay x amount of monsters, or jump in this siege weapon and kill x amount of this. Additionally, if you are like me, you are probably familiar with the rotations, abilities, talents, specializations, and glyphs of all classes. This all leads to a familiarity with the game, which ruins the fun of playing it again.

Currently, I can't stand to play World of Warcraft in it's current state. Don't get me wrong, the game is a strong contender on the market, but after playing it for a long time, I just can't stay logged into the game. On top of that, I use to be a Game Master for Blizzard from the end of Wrath of the Lich King up to Pandaria. I obviously do not work for the company anymore, my opinions and observations are my own, but that definitely left a heavy scar in terms of enjoyment for the game. Knowing everything in the game sort of demolishes the mysteries left to be found.

To summarize, in my opinion, World of Warcraft definitely has a lot to offer and is one of the better, if not best, MMOs on the market. However, if you've been playing for a long time and have become familiar with the game, you will likely quickly lose interest to the game upon return. Your mileage may vary, so on and so forth...

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Manami
    Originally posted by RudyRaccoon

I somewhat disagree with the overall state of World of Warcraft, I believe it is one of the better MMOs on the market at the moment. The game's subscriptions size, while shrinking, is still enormous compared to most games that support subscription based models. Effectively, there is a lot to do in World of Warcraft, you have PvP (battlegrounds, rated battlegrounds and arenas), raids, dungeons, professions, challenges, world bosses, achievements, obtaining rare mounts/pets, and pet battles.

To one of your other points, I don't think battle pets are an unnecessary addition to the game, it's just a feature that some people find enjoyable and other people do not. It's just something else to do in the game and gives people an extra feature to the game. It's no worse than some people enjoying raids and others finding enjoyment in PvP.

Regarding the Cataclysm expansion, it was a good addition to the game in terms of what it did to the starting areas. While I hear many arguments about how good the vanilla zones were, the overall experience was drastically improved. It added a bunch of lore and variety in quests to the beginning zones. The leveling experience through the higher level quest zones was one of the most enjoyable experiences in the expansion. Each area had a very interesting story about what was happening in the zone. While this was done to some extent in the previous expansions, it was amplified and expanded upon in the Cataclysm expansion. All of that being said, the end-game part of the expansion severely suffered at launch from a lack of balancing around 10-man raids and problems with the heroic instances. It had some sweet points, but overall suffered from a rocky end-game, which is what tends to retain attention from most players.

I think people become enchanted by the way World of Warcraft was the first time they played it, and come back to the game expecting that same feeling. I had similar nostalgic feelings with Everquest, which was the first MMO I ever played.  Chances are you probably already ran through every dungeon in the game and experienced every quest. Even if you have not, you probably are familiar with most of the quest set ups such as the classic fed-ex delivery, slay x amount of monsters, or jump in this siege weapon and kill x amount of this. Additionally, if you are like me, you are probably familiar with the rotations, abilities, talents, specializations, and glyphs of all classes. This all leads to a familiarity with the game, which ruins the fun of playing it again.

Currently, I can't stand to play World of Warcraft in it's current state. Don't get me wrong, the game is a strong contender on the market, but after playing it for a long time, I just can't stay logged into the game. On top of that, I use to be a Game Master for Blizzard from the end of Wrath of the Lich King up to Pandaria. I obviously do not work for the company anymore, my opinions and observations are my own, but that definitely left a heavy scar in terms of enjoyment for the game. Knowing everything in the game sort of demolishes the mysteries left to be found.

To summarize, in my opinion, World of Warcraft definitely has a lot to offer and is one of the better, if not best, MMOs on the market. However, if you've been playing for a long time and have become familiar with the game, you will likely quickly lose interest to the game upon return. Your mileage may vary, so on and so forth...

Problem is, everything is aimed to get you to level 90 asap, "endgame: where it all happens" the XP gain, the ease you go through leveling.

I did it lately, I have done quite some leveling in Vanilla WoW and I died quite a few (read: a LOT) times getting agro from a few mobs too many-----> impossible in today's game.

I was level 20 in 1 evening of leveling as a UD rogue, did not die once to mobs, instakilling mobs with ambush (rogue toon) or doing 90% HP damage with just a eviscerate while the mobs could not got me under 90% health once.

Imagine doing that with the heirlooms, and the leveling boosts by being in a guild or profiting from a 'recruit a friend' boost. My toon was just a bare toon with crap gear and no boosts/guild/groups and it almost leveled up without me putting any effort in it.

For the ppl that want to level up 'normally', I tried doing battlegrounds from level 10 on as I love PVP, I was facing 99% max heirloom geared players each time who kill you in 2 hits or me not being able to break a heirloom geared healer's heals.

I always had most fun leveling, endgame was not the thing for me, but there is no challenge in questing anymore. If I could go AFK and leave the game to my 4y old boy for 10 mins, I  would come back and see him advanced 5 levels when I went for some coffee.

It-is-way-too-easy.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I'm having the exact opposite feeling lol. I came back to wow about a month or so ago and I'm loving it. I decided this time to take it a little slower, do more questing and less dungeon leveling. Read the quest lol. I'm really enjoying it and learning more and more about the lore. 

To each their own I guess. Good luck finding your gem.