Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Looks Like a Good Year for Player Housing

2»

Comments

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I'm looking forward to our improved housing systems; however, I'm not sold on WoW's garrisons. I want a HOME, not a fortress.

However, the more important question is....why isn't EQN: Landmark on this list?

<3

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I love the housing system in games, it indeed looks like a good year for us, nice column.

Agree with dreamscaper, Landmark will be cool as well, just like Trove's Cornerstone of FF XIV (though its housing went live in 2013 technically)

I'd also put  LotRO on the list, the housing revamp was delayed to 2014, and since the original state gave me many many hours of fun, I'm positive that the revamped state will be even better.

A sidenote to SotA, if someone is left without a lot, s/he can still diving into the housing with the offline mode. :)

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

I'm looking forward to our improved housing systems; however, I'm not sold on WoW's garrisons. I want a HOME, not a fortress.

However, the more important question is....why isn't EQN: Landmark on this list?

I am not sure what Landmark has could be considered housing.    It is more minecraft than housing.  Sure you can build stuff, but generally housing and building are not the same thing.  A lot of players want a place to call home, not all players enjoy building.  Similarly I am not sure I would consider Rift dimensions as housing.  They are little sandboxes that you can build and show off.  When I think housing, I think of a place to make my own without building it from scratch.  A place to hang up my trophies and maybe store some things I am not using but want to hang onto.  Most importantly I think housing needs to actually be useful and functional, not just pretty.  Rift kind of misses the mark here, although I love dimensions for what they are.  Landmark, I think is even more of a minecraft building game than Rift.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by orbitxo

so basically...

go lock yourself behind doors- so you can get on your computer and....

virtually lock yourself behind doors.

not thank you.

devs could be focusing on much more innovative game designs...imo.

Negative.  I am sorry if housing doesn't appeal to you but it is a huge selling point for MMO's at least to us old vets who started playing years ago when Housing was the Norm and not the exception.  Besides having housing ONTOP of innovative game design and anything else is not mutually exclusive.  If Games like Asheron's Call, DAoC and SWG can have amazing housing in their game ONTOP of all the other things to keep players interested then it stands to reason that excluding housing is a poor business decision.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by mstrsrevati

Back in the old times there was a game called Star Wars Galaxies.  It had the best housing ever.  You could create items from other items and make your own custom designed rooms.  If you weren't as creative you could use the furniture already provided by crafters.  I myself built a house that was my tailor shop.  I even created a sewing machine it was crafted from ship parts but when I placed them together it looked like a real sewing machine with a needle and all.  People would actually come to our town to see our houses for inspiration.  We were a role playing town and every house had a theme.  Including my bunker which served as an underground jail.  We had so much fun using our own imaginations in that game then just doing quests after quests and dungeons.  But those days are gone, if you can find a community of players like that now I'd be surprised.  Now people group up to do things and barely say hello, they group, kill and disband..how unsocialble, mmo's are no longer mmoRPGS...sadly.

Well said especially the part about dungeon after dungeon and raid after raid.  Nothing more boring to me in an MMO then a city which acts as a glorified lobby, complete with people doing the same ish over and over ad-naseum! !

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by elocke
    Not really digging Wildstar or it's housing.  Not sure what you people see in this game, wish I did.

Different stokes for different folks.  While I am not interested in Wildstar either I won't begrudge those who enjoy more linear Themepark games.  I'm just hoping EQN is the savior for true PvE Sandbox content I desperately desire.

• Fallen5Fallen5 Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Aion too ;) and I love player housing. Can't wait to see it in arche age if the day ever comes that the game is realesed. Haha
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by jbombard
    Originally posted by sancher36
    wow version of real money paid housing is pathetic considering the game is subscription based. 

It is part of the game and included in the subscription, granted the way she worded sounds like it isn't.  Either she worded it poorly or she is wrong.  Garrisons aren't even optional since you need them to progress the story in WoD.  That said, I'm not even sure Garrisons are actually housing.  When you list the features someone would generally include in housing those features aren't in WoD, or at least haven't been announced.  Garrisons sound more like a restricted version of town building from an RTS like the old Orcs vs. Humans.

or... you know Warcraft.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• DracokalenDracokalen Member UncommonPosts: 8

Christina Gonzalez,

Your cute!

But not well informed. Shroud of the Avatar does currently only offer housing for real money. But the devs are setting aside plenty of plots so that you can purchase homes with "in game" coin. Latest word states there may not even be homes for sale for real money after the game is launched, they're not planning on it.

You might actually want to speak to Richard Garriot or DarkStarr and get the straight scoop.

• DracokalenDracokalen Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by mstrsrevati

Back in the old times there was a game called Star Wars Galaxies.  It had the best housing ever.  You could create items from other items and make your own custom designed rooms.  If you weren't as creative you could use the furniture already provided by crafters.  I myself built a house that was my tailor shop.  I even created a sewing machine it was crafted from ship parts but when I placed them together it looked like a real sewing machine with a needle and all.  People would actually come to our town to see our houses for inspiration.  We were a role playing town and every house had a theme.  Including my bunker which served as an underground jail.  We had so much fun using our own imaginations in that game then just doing quests after quests and dungeons.  But those days are gone, if you can find a community of players like that now I'd be surprised.  Now people group up to do things and barely say hello, they group, kill and disband..how unsocialble, mmo's are no longer mmoRPGS...sadly.

Actually before SWG there was a game called Horizons (aka...gifted of istaria). Now that was the best housing. Lots all over the world and you actually got to build your house and they had a wide variety. My absolute favorite was dragon lairs, I built mine and it was absolutely magnificent!

• SteeleetSteeleet Member UncommonPosts: 13

The part that's written on SotA housing is not accurate. It's an imbalanced system, with no definite plans to make it any different. Promises from Richard Garriott is that if instanced housing is needed, they may implement it, but not at the expense of those who have backed the game and bought housing for real dollars. He won't allow their houses to devalue.

The game is not released yet, so changes could potentially happen. Basically, high level backers do not want anyone else the ability to own an instanced house, only their own persistent houses should be allowed. They want high returns on their (investment) donation.

Each city will allow only 50-150 plots. No one knows how many cities there will be at this point. But even if there were 100 cities, it would only allow 15,000 persistent plots total for the entire world. They created a class system before the game is even released. There is ample complaints in the forums.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/why-the-needless-emphasis-on-housing.5988/

This forum was closed  due to too much debate.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/cost.5859/