Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Smedley: All Access for $15 a Month

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Smedley has added to the day's earlier news that Sony Online Entertainment was considering an "All Access" pass for all SOE games at one lower subscription price. All Access is now available to players for $15/month, something more like an SOE Subscription rather than game-specific.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. We listened.

Here are the basics of our revised plan. Please note – we have not had the time to do estimates of the work involved, and also we’re continuing to listen. so this isn’t baked just yet. Do not expect that this is all going to happen immediately. We plain don’t know yet. we’re doing that meeting tmw.

1) We’re lowering the price of All Access to $14.99

2) We’re going to make it so every subscriber to all our PC games an all access member. Basically there will be one SOE membership for our PC games. Please note there are some minor restrictions around our kids titles (simply put – if you’re a 12 year old who signed up for FR you won’t have access to the adult games so we’ll likely leave the lower priced kids offerings as separate subscriptions for under 12 for the same low prices).

3) We’re keeping the 500 SC included with the subscription instead of going to the “pick an item” system. We heard you. You didn’t like the change. The only change we are making is that we’re now going to make you claim it monthly. You can still hoard it though :) I realize this is a bit of a pain but honestly it’s the best compromise we could come up with that solves the problems I mentioned in the other thread.

4) we are going to be giving our [Gold? -ed note] members a 10% discount in our marketplaces.

5) European players – we have an idea on how to include you in this but we need to discuss with our partners.We have a pretty good idea on this though. give us a bit of time to suss this out.

6) Nothing is changing with Player Studio items – you’ll still be able to buy them with your 500SC.

7) Console titles – you’ll notice I only mentioned the PC titles. Our goal is to include the PS3 and PS4 games that we have, but I want to be up front and say that isn’t a done deal.

In a nutshell that’s where our head is at.

As always your feedback is welcomed. Please do us a big favor and carefully think about #3. Our goal is to give you more value in the subscription to make it more attractive and making it simpler in the process.

I really feel like we’re making a good decision going this route. It makes things simpler and gives more value to our players.

Thanks

Smed

So what about you? Good deal? Not? Leave us your thoughts in the comments.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Honestly seems really legit to me
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    one of the better pieces of news in this is for our Eurocomrades. #solidarity

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

I thought when he said all the SOE games would be free to play and ONLY that sub model forever he was getting senile.  Let me PAY for goods and services rendered please!  That way I can also hold you to an industry standard when it comes to content and fix patches and development.

Brilliant idea.  

No bitchers.

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212

Hey folks.

I'm not sure if there are any sources showing for this on the site, but I did some checking and found out the original response came from the Planetside reddit, and was then posted on the Everquest forums.

Links: 

REDDIT  - http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/1ulcav/moving_forward_with_subscription_plan_changes/

SOE FORUMS - https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/2014-membership-update-from-smed.206411/

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

You can reference this post from earlier this evening here at MMORPG.com:

http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/29592/General-Smedley-On-Subscriptions-One-for-All-and-All-for-One.html

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Well sounds good enough...

Now if they can only bludgeon P7S in to this (by lord how i dislike the split) i guess something good could come out of it.

This have been a good conversation

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

Well they have to do something for there ageing Titles.. I stoped caring about any of the Titles in the All Access 5 years ago , Now if Landmark and Next are included " They WON"T Be"  it woule be good value..

• ValkyrieValkyrie Member UncommonPosts: 192

Hm. That sounds actually good to me. I might go back playing some Vanguard this way, Dragons Prophet ... is there a benefit for being on Access?

EQN is part of the deal? Landmark is free anyway ...

Played: Pretty much any fantasy MMO, some did not even make it to release ...
    Favorites: UO, EQ2, Vanguard, Wurm Online, Salem, ESO, Creativerse
    Playing: ESO, Creativerse, Guild Wars 2
    Anticipating: (sigh) ... maybe Ashes of Creation

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by SBFord

You can reference this post from earlier this evening here at MMORPG.com:

http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/29592/General-Smedley-On-Subscriptions-One-for-All-and-All-for-One.html

Thanks! I didn't notice that earlier. :D

That said, this actually incentivizes a return to Vanguard, Planetside 2, and EQ2 for me.

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Sounds like a good deal. BUT, console players already have to pay PS+ subscription. Pick one or the other, not both....

• RavenwolfieRavenwolfie Member Posts: 46
    Thanks Sony, your more than likely getting two EQ1 & 2 vets back. image
  • trancefatetrancefate Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Agreed, I cancelled my sub immediately when I read change. Giving my 500sc is making me go re-sub before my shit expires :)

P.S. As one of the players who purchased a sub and let my SC stockpile. Could you tell me WTF the problem with this is?

1) You are still gaining the same income every month

2) You have 100% control on transactions in this 100 % artificial currency

3) How do you lose any money by me holding on to my SC?

4) This (making me "claim" my monthly reward) strikes me as a scam/game to intentionally create a hurdle I must jump every single month, or give you five dollars back.
  • RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

To be honest id take the 2000sc item / month over the 500sc to hoard,... but the vocal crowd wants to hoard at 25% the speed, so... well i don't really care ;-)

Point 5. A chance to escape the EU publisher by buying station access? I have been waiting for something like this for a while and even given up already. This is like christmas all over again!

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

This news intrigued me, so thought I'd go check it out. When is this supposed to take place? According to SOE's Station Pass page, it's still 19.99/month, unless you want to spend $179.88 every 12 months (which works out to $14.99/month).

Is this change in place, and Smed is quoting the massive 12 month commitment, or is it "to be in place in the future"?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    That sounds great,
  • BlackcatZeroBlackcatZero Member UncommonPosts: 58
    It's coming soon, right now it's the same old price of $19.95 and soon $14.95.
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

This news intrigued me, so thought I'd go check it out. When is this supposed to take place? According to SOE's Station Pass page, it's still 19.99/month, unless you want to spend $179.88 every 12 months (which works out to $14.99/month).

Is this change in place, and Smed is quoting the massive 12 month commitment, or is it "to be in place in the future"?

Dude.  He specifically said they haven't worked out the deets yet and they are having a meeting about it tomorrow.  He jumped on reddit to try to quell the raging inferno of outrage they started.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Could someone explain to me why the community screamed bloody murder due to getting 2000 sc per month tho?

Serious question, i don't understand it. I know it was 2000sc per month and would not add up. But are there really alot of items that go for more then 2000? Would it not be better to just get an expensive item for up to 2000 per month and not wait 4 months to get exactly the same?

No joke here, i feel like i am missing something, because i did not find a single person that was happy about that but me lol.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    if you play eq's 1 and 2 (both still good games) then you're basically playing each of them for 750 a month which is a pretty darn good deal for 2 games both worth more than that IMHO.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Not a good deal. They need to make expansion free for the subscribers. Until then I will not come back to Eq2. The subscription is not the problem in my case.

• ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746
    will EU players need to play on US servers for this deal?

• JalitanJalitan Member UncommonPosts: 104
    A smart move by Sony.
  • ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by DMKano

So they are lowering the price of All access pass by $5.

Why not change the news to "SoE to lower prices of All Access Pass from 19.99 to 14.99"

This lengthy writeup is unnecessary - that says it all.

Marketing....hype....

Still a good deal and liable to suck myself in I must admit.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by DMKano

So they are lowering the price of All access pass by $5.

Why not change the news to "SoE to lower prices of All Access Pass from 19.99 to 14.99"

This lengthy writeup is unnecessary - that says it all.

Agreed.

And while we're at it, can we try to avoid phrases like "General: Smedley"?  That's likely to filter its way up the corporate ladder, and we all know how fragile punctuation is.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    So people are complaining that they get the exact same thing for $5 less and there complaining. mmmmmm ok then seems like anything will do for some people to rage at SoE.