Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Looks Like a Good Year for Player Housing

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Some of my colleagues have already taken us through the year in MMOs that was in 2013 and shared a taste of what's to come and what we're anticipating. Like you, we're players who enjoy the genre and don't always agree on what's fun or what will hold our interests. What does stand out is what several of 2014's games (and games we expect to release this year) are doing on one particular front: housing.

Read more of Christina Gonzalez's The Social Hub: Looks Like a Good Year for Player Housing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

so basically...

go lock yourself behind doors- so you can get on your computer and....

virtually lock yourself behind doors.

not thank you.

devs could be focusing on much more innovative game designs...imo.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

wow...really orbitxo?

housing has been in games since UO.

i for one look forward to our new slumlords.

and Ms Gonzalez if your "eyes widened" any more your head would split open.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• Mekong94Mekong94 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    The assurtion that SotA housing is real money only isn't accurate. The developers have said that you will be able to buy lots and houses in game with in game currency. The shop is just an option
  • robthemaniacrobthemaniac Member Posts: 57

Wanting a place for your character to call home in a "Role Playing Game" 

That's right orbitxo -- shame on them 

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Personally, I love the trend of player housing in games.  Makes it feel much more like a world.

I hope more games incorporate both player and guild housing in their games.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    I know some people care about housing but personally i dont care one bit about it.  Nothing more boring than housing to me.  But that is why different games have different features for different people.  I would rather them make another great dungeon or raid vs housing.  Decorating a house does nothing for me but to each their own.
  • AtadisAtadis Member Posts: 56
    I enjoy player housing, it usually gives me something fun to do after i've knocked everything else in the game. I don't like just housing by myself though it's fun when you have friends in game and can all have a place to meet up, and features that make housing more interactive like some sort of crafting boost while in your house or grouping up for dungeons or dueling at your housing lot is really fun when there's nothing else to do or you're waiting for upcoming content in an mmo. I'm big on social features in mmo's even ridiculous ones like in game relationship systems grab my interest just because it gives you something else to try out other than questing all the time, even if implemented badly it is still a feature that can be used to at least do something in game rather than nothing....
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Housing is a gift that keeps on giving and it's a shame that more games don't have it. It allow collector's and trophy hunters a nice place to put their stuff and people like to fiddle with things they can customize.

It's a great tool that a developer can build once, and with minimal upkeep create content to go in it.

• ConleyConley Member Posts: 195
    Don't forget FF14! Yes it seems that housing finally gets the attention it deserves. :)
  • mstrsrevatimstrsrevati Member UncommonPosts: 100

Back in the old times there was a game called Star Wars Galaxies.  It had the best housing ever.  You could create items from other items and make your own custom designed rooms.  If you weren't as creative you could use the furniture already provided by crafters.  I myself built a house that was my tailor shop.  I even created a sewing machine it was crafted from ship parts but when I placed them together it looked like a real sewing machine with a needle and all.  People would actually come to our town to see our houses for inspiration.  We were a role playing town and every house had a theme.  Including my bunker which served as an underground jail.  We had so much fun using our own imaginations in that game then just doing quests after quests and dungeons.  But those days are gone, if you can find a community of players like that now I'd be surprised.  Now people group up to do things and barely say hello, they group, kill and disband..how unsocialble, mmo's are no longer mmoRPGS...sadly.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

The day western MMORPG's focus on things like player housing, character creation, player creativity is the day you start seeing MMORPG's move back in the right direction.

We are seeing the trend come back, but it's not here yet. More WOW clones on the way people where instant gratification and non stop hand holding through your entire journey is required. I laugh when people get excited for these upcoming releases, they don't know their asses from their elbows.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Housing integrated with selling items would be the only way to go. Then, you have to go to people's homes to find things to purchase. Auction houses took all the challenge out of buying and selling goods.
  • RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389
    I think player housing is a definite plus to a game, what's coming in Wildstar is exciting to me, as well as FFXIV (assuming they keep the prices sane).
    I can't believe Wow is going to CHARGE for housing on top of a sub - what the hell?? The company that still makes 100 million a month, and has promised housing "eventually" during beta and vanilla, is now going to charge me above my sub??? Haha, I think not. This is the stupid sh!t MMOs do that give F2P models power.
    The only way this makes sense is if they plan to go F2P with Draenor.

No bitchers.

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220
    I love sandbox.  No sandbox?  No buy for me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    wow version of real money paid housing is pathetic considering the game is subscription based. 
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by sancher36
    wow version of real money paid housing is pathetic considering the game is subscription based. 

It is part of the game and included in the subscription, granted the way she worded sounds like it isn't.  Either she worded it poorly or she is wrong.  Garrisons aren't even optional since you need them to progress the story in WoD.  That said, I'm not even sure Garrisons are actually housing.  When you list the features someone would generally include in housing those features aren't in WoD, or at least haven't been announced.  Garrisons sound more like a restricted version of town building from an RTS like the old Orcs vs. Humans.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Can't wait to get into Wildstar. 

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by Maelzrael
    Can't wait to get into Wildstar. 

Same.  What I have played so far is fantastic, but I didn't get high enough to check out the housing.  They really seem to be doing some interesting stuff with their housing.  I wish Rift would have found ways to make their version of Housing actually usefull, you can make some cool stuff but when you are done building something there is no reason to go back.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

Yep. Good year for Player Housing in MMOs.

Well that is unless you are going to be playing ESO, then ITS TOO HARD

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    That screenshot reminds me of a small village near Vivec(city).

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Housing is a niche extra that I don't really care if its the game or not. I don't want to sit in my house in a game, just seems boring to me. I understand some others like this sort of thing but I really don't do anything with it in games even if they have it.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Not really digging Wildstar or it's housing.  Not sure what you people see in this game, wish I did.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I would buy Wildstar for the housing alone.
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Originally posted by jbombard
    Originally posted by sancher36

It is part of the game and included in the subscription, granted the way she worded sounds like it isn't.  Either she worded it poorly or she is wrong.  Garrisons aren't even optional since you need them to progress the story in WoD.  That said, I'm not even sure Garrisons are actually housing.  When you list the features someone would generally include in housing those features aren't in WoD, or at least haven't been announced.  Garrisons sound more like a restricted version of town building from an RTS like the old Orcs vs. Humans.

yep, horrible choice of wording on her part (or maybe it was on purpose...) but Garrisons are not a feature you have to pay for...it is included with the expansion, so technically you are "paying" for Garrisons when you buy the expansion.