Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 worth it?

124»

Comments

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Tohcix

Yeah I cant say it's that great either.

I have a lvl 42 engineer, and no matter what i do, i get the feeling of being underpowered, not able to kill anything although i try to stay on level with my gear.

And since you get de-leveled when you enter lower level stuff, it's a slap to the face again.

Honestly I cant recomment this game.

I loved Guild Wars 1, but GW2... no cant do it.

Necromancer pets are pure shit, they cant handle anything and the damage they deal is pathetic, truly useless.

I spend more time summoning pets, then anything else.

Am i playing the class wrong? no idea, but the way it feels when i play, is to just give up. She is lvl 25 or something.

So how all the classes is at max level i have NO idea, but if you need to be lax level to really feel the power of a class, then thats a fail right there.

You can't just leave the damage to your pets.

And necromancer pets have been buffed recently.

You need to make sure you pick up traits that buff your pets.

It is also the first time I heard people complaining about necromancer pets in Open World PvE - they aren't that great in WvW and Dungeons.

I'm currently level 45 or so on my necromancer and the only pet I use is the Flesh Golem (it is an elite available for 10 skill points at level 30) and he is quite good.

The rest of my strategy involves using staff and wells for AoE and buffing my Death Shroud which allows me to not only deal quite a bit of single target damage but also be hard to kill.

About the engineer - bomb kit, grenades kit and healing turret. Pistol/Shield. 

Buff those bombs and grenades (if you want to be lame you can even buff the bombs to heal). Engineer Shield is really fun and powerful.

Engineer is pretty good at going toe to toe with champions in world PvE.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• DeshaneDeshane Member Posts: 11

It's the best MMO for me atm, WvW system is really addicting!!!

just give it a shot :)

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Long story short, the leveling expierance from 1 to cap in this game is great, the endgame not so much..... Is it worth the price of the box ? Without question! Will it keep you around for the next 3+ months and be your new MMO obession ? I Highly doubt it...
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    The game is awesome for the box price. You cannot get a better deal than this. Don't expect it to replace your current addiction and you won't get disappointed.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by ASVP

Games like Rift are games that I feel like I'll have so much fun with but I end up getting bored by level 20. But for Guild Wars, it's more of a playstyle that I feel like I'll enjoy because it seems really fun, but on the other hand I hear lots of people don't like it overall and it's way too easy. 

Anyone who owns this game can tell me is it honestly worth the $50 and is it actually fun? 

Thanks

Heh... these forums are particularly toxic to successful games like GW2, so take what you read with a grain of salt. Is it worth it? Definitely. It's the best MMO out there (my opinion, of course) by far and an absolute blast, and there's no subscription fee leaching out of your wallet every month. You definitely will get far more than your money's worth.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by ASVP

Games like Rift are games that I feel like I'll have so much fun with but I end up getting bored by level 20. But for Guild Wars, it's more of a playstyle that I feel like I'll enjoy because it seems really fun, but on the other hand I hear lots of people don't like it overall and it's way too easy. 

Anyone who owns this game can tell me is it honestly worth the $50 and is it actually fun? 

Thanks

You can have my account. I just recently bought it for the second time and couldn't stand it for more than a day. PM me and save your 50 bucks.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

The game did lose a lot of players after launch. That is the reason they went to the two week release schedule for the Living Story. They had evidence that it was bringing some people back. They then stated that the game was growing "slowly but steadily." 

Actually, Living Story was announced in October 2012.

The growth of players they talked about was around January 2013.

The 2 week Living Story release was around April 2013 or something like that, after the players complaining 1 month was too long to wait tof the new Living Story. Then they complained 2 weeks was too fast.

Actually....No. 

The two week release schedule was an attempt to maintain current players and most likely to bring players back. Here is a link: http://guildwars.incgamers.com/blog/comments/guild-wars-2-player-base-continues-to-increase

I actually commend ArenaNet for doing it. They realized they had an issue and tried to fix it. They are trying to give players something. It may not have turned out quite like they expected, but at least they did something. Lots of other companies just let their games move on to life support. 

Actually... Yes.

http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom/b/358339359

Transcript from dulfy.net from the MMORPG,com MMOFTW 18 January 2013.

http://dulfy.net/2013/01/19/gw2-colin-johanson-mmorpg-livestream-transcript-jan-18/

"How are things going in GW2?

• Interesting life cycle in a MMO – once a MMO comes out, you immediately become a MMO service provider. Once a MMO launches, you have that peak concurrency right off the bat, then population drops down and it settles into the core player base, then that core population slowly decline every month after that.
    • If you look at EVE, WoW, those are great examples of games that settled into their base population after launch and then every month start to grow a bit. All the other games that weren’t as successful hit their base point and started to drop off a bit.
    • We actually hit our base point with GW2 where for a month we saw the same login numbers and every week for the last 5 weeks it has being slowly going up and that is really exciting for us.
    • We are the fastest selling MMO ever made – to get to 3 million copies (maybe not including China). The game is doing better than we ever imagined it could

Where did you guys think you would be after launch at this point?

• We definitely didn’t expect to have this many sales, this many concurrent users, this many logins. Our goal is to hit our base user and then build on that every month and have it go up. We definitely seen that.
    • The actual sales and actual numbers are much higher – a big chunk higher than where we thought we would be right now. Can’t say the details.

How is the Black Lion Trading Company working out?

• In GW1 we had a really small live team because the game wasn’t big enough to generate a consistent revenue. The gems/micro-transaction based model allow us to have a much larger live team in GW2, allowing players to see much more content on a monthly basis.
    • Our live team in GW2 is 15-20 times larger than the live team in GW1."

It is good to know it was still increasing by August 2013 and it matches my in game perception even though there has been several complains about "the game direction".

Unfortunately, my link is a little more current than yours so it is probably a little more relevant. There is quite a bit of time between January and August and the statement in the link I posted is quite clear. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

The game did lose a lot of players after launch. That is the reason they went to the two week release schedule for the Living Story. They had evidence that it was bringing some people back. They then stated that the game was growing "slowly but steadily." 

The 2 week Living Story release was around April 2013 or something like that, after the players complaining 1 month was too long to wait tof the new Living Story. Then they complained 2 weeks was too fast.

Actually....No. 

The two week release schedule was an attempt to maintain current players and most likely to bring players back. Here is a link: http://guildwars.incgamers.com/blog/comments/guild-wars-2-player-base-continues-to-increase

I actually commend ArenaNet for doing it. They realized they had an issue and tried to fix it. They are trying to give players something. It may not have turned out quite like they expected, but at least they did something. Lots of other companies just let their games move on to life support. 

Actually... Yes.

http://dulfy.net/2013/01/19/gw2-colin-johanson-mmorpg-livestream-transcript-jan-18/

• Interesting life cycle in a MMO – once a MMO comes out, you immediately become a MMO service provider. Once a MMO launches, you have that peak concurrency right off the bat, then population drops down and it settles into the core player base, then that core population slowly decline every month after that.
    • If you look at EVE, WoW, those are great examples of games that settled into their base population after launch and then every month start to grow a bit. All the other games that weren’t as successful hit their base point and started to drop off a bit.
    • We actually hit our base point with GW2 where for a month we saw the same login numbers and every week for the last 5 weeks it has being slowly going up and that is really exciting for us.
    • We are the fastest selling MMO ever made – to get to 3 million copies (maybe not including China). The game is doing better than we ever imagined it could

• We definitely didn’t expect to have this many sales, this many concurrent users, this many logins. Our goal is to hit our base user and then build on that every month and have it go up. We definitely seen that.
    • The actual sales and actual numbers are much higher – a big chunk higher than where we thought we would be right now. Can’t say the details.

• In GW1 we had a really small live team because the game wasn’t big enough to generate a consistent revenue. The gems/micro-transaction based model allow us to have a much larger live team in GW2, allowing players to see much more content on a monthly basis.

It is good to know it was still increasing by August 2013 and it matches my in game perception even though there has been several complains about "the game direction".

Unfortunately, my link is a little more current than yours so it is probably a little more relevant. There is quite a bit of time between January and August and the statement in the link I posted is quite clear. 

In January they were increasing their player base even before releasing any Living Story.

So basically you are saying they went for 2 weeks Living Story releases because they were losing people before that.

That 2 week release started in May or June.

In the article it states about the population drop after launch, not after the release of Living Story in January.

The reason they went for two weeks release Living Story was due to player feedback saying that they finished the Living Story content in a day or two and then had to wait a full month.

Of course now they are slowing down the releases and allowing each individual release to stay longer, with the last content release dated from 10th of December.

Again that is due to player feedback.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

Actually....No. 

Actually... Yes.

In January they were increasing their player base even before releasing any Living Story.

So basically you are saying they went for 2 weeks Living Story releases because they were losing people before that.

That 2 week release started in May or June.

In the article it states about the population drop after launch, not after the release of Living Story in January.

The reason they went for two weeks release Living Story was due to player feedback saying that they finished the Living Story content in a day or two and then had to wait a full month.

Of course now they are slowing down the releases and allowing each individual release to stay longer, with the last content release dated from 10th of December.

Again that is due to player feedback.

He states in the link I posted, "We ended up thinking that if we got to making these updates more often then players will stick around longer...." You of course are welcome to believe what you want, but this is pretty much it..... Of course it is based on feedback as they had evidence that players logged in more often with each release....

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

He states in the link I posted, "We ended up thinking that if we got to making these updates more often then players will stick around longer...." You of course are welcome to believe what you want, but this is pretty much it..... Of course it is based on feedback as they had evidence that players logged in more often with each release....

I guess having a month with no release since 10/12/13 means they want players to stick less time?

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

It's a fun game, but for me the game was rather short lived.  I think the overwhelming hype on this game really had a lot of people thinking it would be more groundbreaking and have a greater playerbase than it actually did.

I had a lot of fun for a couple of months but then I grew tired and haven't had even the slightest impulse to check it out again.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    its worth even for a sub ...

• marsmercermarsmercer Member UncommonPosts: 26

I would say "Absolutely"! It has more inherit value than many subscription games. If you are a player of Guild Wars, it is an adequate homage that has you constantly reminded of Old Tyria. It took me some time to get into, but after the sixth or seventh hour (according to Raptr) then I was hooked. I love the Living Story and combat. I wish sieges and pvp (wvw) had more relevance. I will check-out The Elder Scrolls Online when it comes out due to the promise of three faction pvp. At the moment, splitting my time evenly between GW2 and Rift--now if I only had time for my wife and kids :P

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

IMO, yes

the immersion is great, many hours of fun for a few $$

its not PERFECT, but pretty close

the downside, for me, are  the dynamic events

they make a lot of builds/playstyles invalid

giving the player the option, to turn off those events, would prolly boost the playerbase by 10 %