Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Forbes Predicting Biggest Disaster of 2014

Comments

• BearKnightBearKnight Augusta, GAPosts: 461Member

Agree wholeheartedly about the Biggest Disaster of 2014, however the writer has no idea what they're talking about with regard to "Subscription monthly fee" being dated. It is, by far, the best model out there. However, when a company doesn't give two craps about the content for a game and think anyone will pay simply for a good IP (coughSWTORcough) then it isn't worth a subscription. 

If a game isn't worth a subscription, it isn't the business model that is at fault, it is the game itself.

General rule of thumb = F2P, expect low quality....P2P, expect high quality. 

When you get a LOW quality piece of generalized gameplay from a P2P MMO it just pisses people off. This is why "F2P" has become the fad for up coming companies, but is by no means a pointer that says "Don't go subscription model! People don't want it anymore!"

NO, what people do NOT want is to be ripped off by asking for a box price + subscription when you haven't even taken the time to invest properly into the gameplay of a product before touting it as the next "Big Killer of X". THAT, is what people are tired of. Subscription model is fine and dandy, and is still preferred by the masses.

• Tr3izeTr3ize HerzelePosts: 35Member

The thing with all these predictions of late is that they are nothing more than pure speculation. TESO is not SW:TOR or AoC, it's TESO. There might be a resemblance but it isn't the same game, it isn't released on the same date or by the same people, nor is it made by the same people.

There's absolutely nothing in that article that can support the "journalist's" claim. Like with every MMO released the past few years, wait till it's actually released before you jump on a wagon, be it pro or contra.

• rodarinrodarin camarillo, CAPosts: 575Member

It will be buy to play soon enough, more than likely well before Christmas (which will likely have a new update/expansion of some sort as well. Or they may coincide.

People can make all the claims they want about subs, theyre mostly invalid. But Zenimax will charge a sub for as long as they think they can get away with it. Which isnt very long by recent history. So they getthe best of all worlds. they have the guys who love subs supporting them financially, then they will get the people who buy stuff in the cash shop supporting them after that. The irony is the people who paid the sub will be the first to leave once it goes buy to pay or free to play. Game wont change, will probably get better but these guys usually get butt hurt and stop playing on some twisted sense of principle.

Had these guys (Zenimax) had the ability to have the tore 100% committed it would have been released as a buy to play game. But if the rumors are true and they need to recoup 200 mil in development costs I can understand them looking to squeeze 15 bux a month out of as many people as they can.

Regardless it will sell a lot of copies. It will get the same talk after release as it is now. Some will love it some will hate it and most will fall in the middle. But it takes a lot more than that to justify a sub.

• ReaperJodaReaperJoda joliet, ILPosts: 73Member Uncommon
    ....chalk another one up!!!  EQN will be next, if it doesn't either autocorrect its path and learn and improve on EQ1 playstyle and game play or change its name to NOT EQnext, but WOWnext.
  • I'm thinking people hating on SWTOR currently will be hating on TESO instead within a year or two after release. While they're hyping their new favourite MMO they will make passing attacks at TESO and type BS on how much it cost and how much it isn't being profitable.
  • thunderCthunderC miami flPosts: 463Member Uncommon
    I agree 100% with whoever wrote this forbes article. Elder Scrolls series has been one of my favorites over the past 10 years and has always been my "offline MMO" so to speak. I have never once had the desire or said to myself while playing skyrim " I wish 50 other live players were in the game with me " . 
  • cheyanecheyane Rome Posts: 3,002Member Uncommon

I have nothing against these f2p games. I just feel that their push for you to spend money is terrible in that it makes you lose interest. I played Neverwinter but when I saw how much I would have to grind or spend a lot of money I do not mean a one off for a bag or bank slot but I am talking about the crafting grind I lost interest immediately. I am not going to be dragged into a scheme where I'm constantly forking cash over just to craft some items forget it. I stopped playing and am now back at SWTOR and GW 2. I rather pay a monthly sub and get everything available at reasonable grinds then these insane grinds that leech every enjoyment out of a game. No thank you and it is not because I am a cheapskate that refuses to spend but if you make crafting something I enjoy and every step needs a bought with cash item you're going to lose me buster.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• xerrixerri griffith, ILPosts: 30Member
    Originally posted by thunderC
    I agree 100% with whoever wrote this forbes article. Elder Scrolls series has been one of my favorites over the past 10 years and has always been my "offline MMO" so to speak. I have never once had the desire or said to myself while playing skyrim " I wish 50 other live players were in the game with me " . 

You'll be able to play solo  or tackle much larger challenges with a group if you like.  In all the other Elder Scrolls games I accomplished what I wanted to  looking for ward to doing MORE with MORE players  to enjoy a LARGER experience.

To many narsistic people that want to live in the past

• RampajiRampaji copenhagnePosts: 50Member

Normally i dont swear that much.

But F oooo OOO K  Forbes opinion and every else including my opinion.

If you are having fun with what ever game you play. HAVE FUN! :)

If you dont like. play something else, but spare the rest of us with your whining! ;)

I still like you anyway. ;)

thats my humble opinion.

Be good do good

Be the change you want to see in the world.

- Mahatma Gandhi

• laokokolaokoko TaipeiPosts: 2,003Member

I think they over spent, if they actually spent 200million$ already.

They probably can recover the cost.  I just don't know if they can maintain the upkeep.  So they most likely will have to cut staff a few month after release.

• PigglesworthPigglesworth Delaware, OHPosts: 257Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by laokoko

I think they over spent, if they actually spent 200million$ already.

They probably can recover the cost.  I just don't know if they can maintain the upkeep.  So they most likely will have to cut staff a few month after release.

Staff always get cut after release. The staff needed for upkeep, even expansions, is much less than full development. Of course, when this happens, the haters on this board will claim the game is a total failure because they cut staff after launch.

@PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Posts: 101Member

I just facepalmed myself repeatedly while reading this article. His entire prediction is based on nothing but a tweet from Kotaku (that he can't even prove existed in the first place) and that people doesn't like the ESO brand enough to pay a sub price for it.

Not a single word about the gameplay, not one that made it seem like the writer knew what he was talking about anyway. People play a MMO (and all games in general) because it's fun, not because they like the brand (atleast not the majority of gamers).

Heh, here I am, defending a game I don't give a damn about - but the article is just that bad.

• IselinIselin Vancouver, BCPosts: 5,606Member Uncommon

Considering the length of this thread and similar threads at other ESO discusion sites, this bit from the Forbe's Wikipedia page about their website made me laugh:

The website also uses a "contributor model" in which a wide network of "contributors" writes and publishes articles directly on the website. Contributors are paid based on traffic to their Forbes.com pages

The pointy-headed dweeb who writes that blog thanks you...say, you don't suppose he's being deliberately edgy and controversial, do you? image

Starting to feel like you've been had yet?

• PpiperPpiper Horsham, PAPosts: 648Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Iselin

Considering the length of this thread and similar threads at other ESO discusion sites, this bit from the Forbe's Wikipedia page about their website made me laugh:

The website also uses a "contributor model" in which a wide network of "contributors" writes and publishes articles directly on the website. Contributors are paid based on traffic to their Forbes.com pages

The pointy-headed dweeb who writes that blog thanks you...say, you don't suppose he's being deliberately edgy and controversial, do you? image

pretty fucked up if you ask me.

• Psion33Psion33 La Crosse, WIPosts: 248Member

Just more sandbox drivel for the sandbox fanbois.

No one really cares about this game...its the idea of subbing to the first real major sandbox.

Don't give a dog a bone.

Originally posted by Ppiper

pretty fucked up if you ask me.

Why, cause you may have added to their pockets? You don't deserve a penny of anyone else's money.

• IselinIselin Vancouver, BCPosts: 5,606Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Psion33

No one really cares about this game...its the idea of subbing to the first real major sandbox.

Don't give a dog a bone.

I'm thinking you've just woken up from a 2 year coma... welcome back!

(PS. ESO is not a sandbox)

Originally posted by Psion33

Don't give a dog a bone.

I'm thinking you've just woken up from a 2 year coma... welcome back!

(PS. ESO is not a sandbox)

I quoted the wrong message. I was reading a post about Camelot Unchained...must have been different browser window LOL.

• SpeelySpeely Seattle, WAPosts: 861Member
    Yeah this was a pretty funny write-up. Riding that train, getting those hits. Easy money and horrible journalism. Also: Forbes. April gon be good. /popcorn.gif
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    Yeah this was a pretty funny write-up. Riding that train, getting those hits. Easy money and horrible journalism. Also: Forbes. April gon be good. /popcorn.gif

I truly wonder how many F2P gamers will/did get butt hurt for lining that Forbes writer's pocket.

Lol. The irony. It's thick.

• evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member

I agree about the payment model.  Especially when targeting console gamers.  I don't think many would tolerate monthly fees and would rather buy updates as DLC.

This one is definitely going F2P / B2P down the track.  Wildstar might sustain a sub fee as it is targeting the WoW raiding demographic specifically.

• jdnycjdnyc Long Island City, NYPosts: 1,696Member

Excellent.  Someone whom understands how things work with websites.  

• XAPKenXAPKen Northwest, INPosts: 4,895Member Uncommon

If it weren't for Lok poking me to look further into what the blogging system was all about, I'd still be thinking this was a Forbes business article.

I find it beyond surprising that Forbes runs a blogging system as a revenue stream.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now turned Amateur Game Developer.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  Realm Lords 2 on MMORPG.com
  • DanitaKusorDanitaKusor AdelaidePosts: 549Member Uncommon
    Since it is very likely that I'll be losing my job in March after my company was bought out (and my role is very unlikely to need duplicating) I agree that the subscription fee for ESO is going to be a big stumbling block for me vs. another game that is f2p or b2p (e.g. Guild Wars 2) especially as it is on top of a purchase of a game anyway.  So for me, the article is spot on. P2P is going to probably stop me playing ESO unless it is the most amazing game of all time (which I don't think it is based on previews I've seen so far).

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• SerenesSerenes johnson city, TNPosts: 352Member
    Originally posted by evilastro

I agree about the payment model.  Especially when targeting console gamers.  I don't think many would tolerate monthly fees and would rather buy updates as DLC.

This one is definitely going F2P / B2P down the track.  Wildstar might sustain a sub fee as it is targeting the WoW raiding demographic specifically.

Did I miss where console gamers have been paying $9.99 to play xbox live or did they change that?