Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Super Hero Themed MMO

MalinkadinkMalinkadink Member UncommonPosts: 79

Is there one that's even close to as good as city of heroes was? Champions online is out of the question considering cryptics business model, and I'm not sure DC Universe Online is much better in that department. I'm not unwilling to pay a dime, in fact i am for a P2P game so long as it means microtransactions are not there.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/missingworldsmedia/the-phoenix-project-city-of-titans looks like its the only hope? 

I just wish NCsoft didnt close CoX, otherwise i wouldn't need to type this thread. What are your guys' thoughts? Assuming some of you crave a hero themed mmo experience. 

Comments

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

I'd play a Kick Ass MMO.

I'm actually surprised there haven't been more attempts at the genre.  CoH really wasn't all that great, and the fact that it's considered the best example is kind of telling.

You make me like charity

• FoeHammerJTFoeHammerJT Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by Malinkadink

Is there one that's even close to as good as city of heroes was? Champions online is out of the question considering cryptics business model, and I'm not sure DC Universe Online is much better in that department. I'm not unwilling to pay a dime, in fact i am for a P2P game so long as it means microtransactions are not there.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/missingworldsmedia/the-phoenix-project-city-of-titans looks like its the only hope? 

I just wish NCsoft didnt close CoX, otherwise i wouldn't need to type this thread. What are your guys' thoughts? Assuming some of you crave a hero themed mmo experience. 

DCUO isn't that bad for monetization if you subscribe. You can open crates free (drops that would have cost a non-subscriber) and you get access to all the expansions and powers/abilities while you are subbed. Its actually a decent hybrid model imo, since the sub basically unlocks all non-cosmetic content.  

• MalinkadinkMalinkadink Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by asmkm22

I'd play a Kick Ass MMO.

I'm actually surprised there haven't been more attempts at the genre.  CoH really wasn't all that great, and the fact that it's considered the best example is kind of telling.

I could agree that perhaps the actual gameplay wasn't the best, but the customization options were enormous, and what really made the game fun was the community. There was always someone to talk to in Atlas Park and people literally paid their subscription to stand there each day and talk it up with people and become friends, me being one of those types of people. 

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

I'd play a Kick Ass MMO.

COH had the best character creation ever.

They also had an amazing character development system.

They came short with combat, with sometimes long animations that locked your character in place... and pvp was bad.

I've always thought a great superhero mmo should have cops and robbers pvp.. where villains initiate pvp by committing crimes, and it's up to the hero's to stop them.

Originally posted by FoeHammerJT

DCUO isn't that bad for monetization if you subscribe. You can open crates free (drops that would have cost a non-subscriber) and you get access to all the expansions and powers/abilities while you are subbed. Its actually a decent hybrid model imo, since the sub basically unlocks all non-cosmetic content.  

Hmm that's interesting, sounds like its pretty much P2P no strings attached if you are okay with being a subscriber. Question remains whether or not to play it on the PS4 or PC 

Originally posted by Lustmord

I'd play a Kick Ass MMO.

They came short with combat, with sometimes long animations that locked your character in place... and pvp was bad.

I've always thought a great superhero mmo should have cops and robbers pvp.. where villains initiate pvp by committing crimes, and it's up to the hero's to stop them.

What do the players play? the robbers and cops? or the villians and heroes? I'm confused lol, it sounds like APB if its the cops and robbers, unless you meant the cops would be like npcs, robbers are players aka villains, and the heroes are also players. Seems like it would be kind of unfair since I picture it as the robbers being an ordinary powerless individual with like a gun, and then gets smashed by someone with super strength xD 

• FoeHammerJTFoeHammerJT Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by FoeHammerJT

Hmm that's interesting, sounds like its pretty much P2P no strings attached if you are okay with being a subscriber. Question remains whether or not to play it on the PS4 or PC 

Either works pretty well, they did a good job with controller. Although I am still partial to PC performance over PS4. The power system and combat are both pretty good. Less tab target combat than GW2, animations are decent but some are still locked during cast.

Not every company can spend the cash and time on animations that Blizzard can :(. And that's a damn shame too...

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Lustmord

I'd play a Kick Ass MMO.

What do the players play? the robbers and cops? or the villians and heroes? I'm confused lol, it sounds like APB if its the cops and robbers, unless you meant the cops would be like npcs, robbers are players aka villains, and the heroes are also players. Seems like it would be kind of unfair since I picture it as the robbers being an ordinary powerless individual with like a gun, and then gets smashed by someone with super strength xD 

Villains would rob banks, take hostages for ransom, do whatever in an open world.

Heroes would be assigned to stop them.

Also, a problem with COH, imo, was that it was too broad in the scope of a comic book universe. In comics, X-Men generally only fight other mutants.. Batman usually only fights low end crime... etc.  COH was all over the place with aliens, mutants, science experiments, etc etc.. Everyone had a travel ability, even if they were a Natural Martial Artist... but then they could fly or super jump at level 14.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Marvel Heroes .. perfect if you like Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and that sort of game.

Strictly speaking, it is more a ARPG, than a MMO though.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I don't quite get the business model part... CO is Cryptic just as CoH was, it's a great game, some parts a bit weaker than CoH, some parts better (I love Freeform for example), but the business model? in fact i am for a P2P game so long as it means microtransactions are not there.   if you subscribe, then you don't really need anything from the ingame store...

Same with DCUO, it was a p2p game before SOE switched it into f2p, so if you subscribe, you have the whole game open and you don't need to use the store. But it worths noting that DCUO is different from CoH, it's much more action-y and easier since it's a console game at the roots.

Whether on PS4 or PC... I play on PC, but as I heard on consoles there are a lot more people, and the controls are also designed for the PS controller, so if you play other games as well on the PS4 and you're familiar with the controller, then maybe it's better to pick the PS4.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Whether on PS4 or PC... I play on PC, but as I heard on consoles there are a lot more people, and the controls are also designed for the PS controller, so if you play other games as well on the PS4 and you're familiar with the controller, then maybe it's better to pick the PS4.

I want to note that the PC version does support the xbox controller, so you can use the controller either way.

In fact, most AAA games on the PC support the controller now, so i prefer to play "console" games on my gaming laptop because i can get better visuals (compared to the PS3 ... i am not considering a PS4 yet).