Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Brad McQuaid's New MMO Named

Comments

• ReigarReigar Member Posts: 6
    Well supposably this game is aimed at the hardcore player base from the EQ1 era if this is true I am there. I do agree that brad is one of the most brilliant MMO designers alive the fact that stuff happened to him at the tail end of vg is just shitty.  Even so I play vg from time to time and it is an icredible game that everyone  should try or retry if you have not been back since launch.  I agree launch was bad but the game looks, and feels much better.  I for one am excited to see this title as most of the games on the upcoming list seem lacking...

And aimed at at the mindless mass that has taken over the genre...!!!
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Originally posted by UtukuMoon
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

And he worked on Vanguard. That was overly ambitios and was first of AAA MMOs that failed.

If we don't count games like:

• Motor City Online
    • The Sims Online
    • Auto Assault
    • Earth and Beyond
    • Asheron's Call 2
    • Shadowbane

or the games that died before release like:

• Ultima Online 2
    • Ultima X: Odyssey
    • Mythica 
    • Dragon Empires

Lol the amount of uninformed people on this site is beyond a joke.

"the first AAA mmo to fail" lmfao  has he had blinkers on for the last ten years.

Let me remind him of another AAA title to fail and fail big time.

http://www.darkandlight.com/en/

Dont be a joke.

I was around when all these games were in production while you are just handy with Wikipedia.

All the mentioned games were small fries for Vanguard. Like you would compare SWTOR with Origins of Malu.

MMORPG.com was virtual battleground around Vanguard , like never before or since. I was here much before, than, and now. And I can tell you - as one of rare long time members - That Vanguard was the high point. The Peak.

Never before or since there was as much expectation surrounding a MMO.

And without a doubt its failing was the very first wake up call.

So please take your Motor City Online back to Wikipedia and tell them that googling something to look smart often makes you look like an ass.

Origins of Malu isn't on my list as it isn't a high production game and doesn't have a publisher. Look, if your point is "Vanguard numba 1 rawr! AWESUM!" then fine, I'll leave it at that. However, your statement was that it was the first AAA MMO that failed and that's just plain silly. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Reigar
    Well supposably this game is aimed at the hardcore player base from the EQ1 era if this is true I am there. I do agree that brad is one of the most brilliant MMO designers alive the fact that stuff happened to him at the tail end of vg is just shitty.  Even so I play vg from time to time and it is an icredible game that everyone  should try or retry if you have not been back since launch.  I agree launch was bad but the game looks, and feels much better.  I for one am excited to see this title as most of the games on the upcoming list seem lacking...

And aimed at at the mindless mass that has taken over the genre...!!!

I am certainly apprehensive when I hear Brad McQuaid is making an MMO but even so I'd Kickstart it, just for the chance of a hardcore,err..  more old school / traditional MMO.  

• karmuskarmus Member Posts: 7

And he worked on Vanguard. That was overly ambitios and was first of AAA MMOs that failed.

• Motor City Online
    • The Sims Online
    • Auto Assault
    • Earth and Beyond
    • Asheron's Call 2
    • Shadowbane

• Ultima Online 2
    • Mythica 
    • Dragon Empires

"the first AAA mmo to fail" lmfao  has he had blinkers on for the last ten years.

Dont be a joke.

I was around when all these games were in production while you are just handy with Wikipedia.

All the mentioned games were small fries for Vanguard. Like you would compare SWTOR with Origins of Malu.

MMORPG.com was virtual battleground around Vanguard , like never before or since. I was here much before, than, and now. And I can tell you - as one of rare long time members - That Vanguard was the high point. The Peak.

So please take your Motor City Online back to Wikipedia and tell them that googling something to look smart often makes you look like an ass.

Origins of Malu isn't on my list as it isn't a high production game and doesn't have a publisher. Look, if your point is "Vanguard numba 1 rawr! AWESUM!" then fine, I'll leave it at that. However, your statement was that it was the first AAA MMO that failed and that's just plain silly. 

So if origins of malu had a high production value and a publisher, you would include it on your list? I think you should perhaps rethink the criteria of your list.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869

Anything he touches ?

He worked on original EQ. Didnt see this go to hell.

It was a big shock at the time. But than every other new AAA MMO failed too. And Vanguard proved to be the LAST real MMO attempted. In fact if his company was not closed and Vanguard sold to SOE , who kept it on ice so its not competing with EQ. Vanguard would probably be best MMO around.

That being said - Braid is good designer , but horrible producer. He should not be in charge of the game , just its design.

Everything Lobo just said +1

Originally posted by karmus

• Motor City Online
    • The Sims Online
    • Auto Assault
    • Earth and Beyond
    • Asheron's Call 2
    • Shadowbane

• Ultima Online 2
    • Mythica 
    • Dragon Empires

Dont be a joke.

So if origins of malu had a high production value and a publisher, you would include it on your list? I think you should perhaps rethink the criteria of your list.

...because some random poster in the interwebz has an arbitrary definition of AAA release? Did you have a point, or are you just another jaded Vanguardian that isn't really reading and getting defensive over perceived slights to their virtual world of choice?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• karmuskarmus Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by karmus

• Motor City Online
    • The Sims Online
    • Auto Assault
    • Earth and Beyond
    • Asheron's Call 2
    • Shadowbane

• Ultima Online 2
    • Mythica 
    • Dragon Empires

Dont be a joke.

...because some random poster in the interwebz has an arbitrary definition of AAA release? Did you have a point, or are you just another jaded Vanguardian that isn't really reading and getting defensive over perceived slights to their virtual world of choice?

I don't see why you presume me to be defending Vanguard in any way. I was merely confused by the fact that you thought Origins of Malu would be a good addition to your list of games if it had a a high production value and publisher, particularly seeing as it's a game still in development. I think perhaps you aren't "really reading" the posts you respond to.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Anything he touches ?

It was a big shock at the time. But than every other new AAA MMO failed too. And Vanguard proved to be the LAST real MMO attempted. In fact if his company was not closed and Vanguard sold to SOE , who kept it on ice so its not competing with EQ. Vanguard would probably be best MMO around.

That being said - Braid is good designer , but horrible producer. He should not be in charge of the game , just its design.

Are you serious? Where you even around during launch?

If SOE didn´t step in and throw in an extra 25 million in funding, the game wouldn´t have even been launched!

As Microsoft saw Braid was just burning Money and pulled out half way during Development! 

Had to stop reading there because that's not actually what happened. I'm not sure why some of you keeping latching onto rumors and false info in an effort to roast a founder of the genre, but...

It's well documented and understood that when Sigil was being funded by Microsoft, MS went through a massive personel shift. The CEO who was in charge of the MMO division got ousted, and the new guy said "We don't want to develop an MMO", and cut funding. SoE agreed to finish the game, but then decided to try to launch the game 8 months earlier than agreed upon, the same week as the Burning Crusade.

As for when SoE stepped in, it was not 5 months after launch. And they didn't have a sizable dev team, they had a skeleton crew. As for what they did, they didn't focus on releasing new content, they focused on making the game more like WoW, thinking that the problem was the gameplay, not the bugs. Then they never advertised the game again.

Totally accurate...Good summery!!! 

If Vanguard had launched a year later and relatively bug free who knows what would have been...As it was at launch, it was a barely playable lag fest for most...And many quit before they could even really get started...I saw a game with incredible potential, but you only get one chance to launch...It was a similar experience for me to AoC...If everybody quits shortly after launch games rarely rebound...And that's what happened with Vanguard...It's too bad because overall it's so much better than most of the garbage that came after it...

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Interesting.....
  • KTAMRadioKTAMRadio Member Posts: 2
    K-TAM Radio has had a great relationship with Tony "Irontoe68" Garcia in our time Covering Defiance. He was also part of the original EQ team for lore/story design. We will be following this game and seeing where it goes and will be getting interviews with Tony Brad and others in the future when more information is released.
  • TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

• Motor City Online
    • The Sims Online
    • Auto Assault
    • Earth and Beyond
    • Asheron's Call 2
    • Shadowbane

• Ultima Online 2
    • Mythica 
    • Dragon Empires

Dont be a joke.

gotta admit i thought the same when reading his list, i was just too embarressed for the guy to respond.

If those are what he calls AAA mmo's then we really should be trying to help him not criticize him lol. Vanguard could have been great, in fact there were many great things in the game and still are. Why no one has copied it and got it right i dont know.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by expresso
    If he screws up and gives me a ranger class that does NOT START LEVEL 1 WITH A RANGE WEAPON I will not be happy, he pulled that crap at the launch of  Vanguard.  Had to go beat up some monks  with a damn short sword, the fact I recall this even now shows how much that rubbed me up the wrong way.

if it was up to me I would make players start off with nothing but rags and earn your way into becoming a ranger.  Its like giving a untrained person a M4 Carbine and calling him a soldier.

Originally posted by Telil

gotta admit i thought the same when reading his list, i was just too embarressed for the guy to respond.

If those are what he calls AAA mmo's then we really should be trying to help him not criticize him lol. Vanguard could have been great, in fact there were many great things in the game and still are. Why no one has copied it and got it right i dont know.

No, those are what the industry calls AAA MMOs. 

The best part of all this is really this post by Lobotomist, explaining what a AAA game is. 

• WallisHallWallisHall Member UncommonPosts: 15

Obviously you have never played one of the games that he has designed.  Everquest and Vanguard are the best two MMOs ever.  As ogiginally designed (and not screwed up by others who we are not talking about), they both have designs to force people to work together in all aspects and were successful at creating great societies around each game.

Now the fact that the "good" and "wise" (please read sarcasm here and understand the previous words and most following ones in quotes mean the exact opposite of what is written) people of SOE in their "infinite wisdom" removed the important aspects from each game making them less than they were originally (read suck here).  Real options like the original armor aspecting method for Vanguard, utter genius.  While it took a couple minutes to understand the ramifications for it, the "geniuses" at SOE just were confused by it and ripped it out for a less versitile option.

Anyway, Brad has had some of the greatest ideas for MMOs and I don't see that changing.

Now that I'm done commenting on SOE of the past, I do admit that I am looking at the new EQN with some hope.  We'll see if they can build a good game that will keep my interest.

Quite amazing that a game can survive with nobody developing new content.  That shows that there is compelling content in the game and it has the ability to keep people playing 5 years after SOE has let it die.

I will always be upset at SOE for forcing Vanguard to die as it did.  There were still thousands of subscribers when they did this too, so dont go telling me that it was because there were no subs.  They just didn't want competition eating into the lesser games EQ2... which just never was as compelling as Vanguard.

Anyway, it's all over now.  Future games are where it's at, and if SOE can pull themselves out with EQN or it's Brad and his new IP, then I'm all for it.  Just stop the little F2P crap that nobody even looks at anymore.  Please bring out some good stuff.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by WallisHall

Quite amazing that a game can survive with nobody developing new content.  That shows that there is compelling content in the game and it has the ability to keep people playing 5 years after SOE has let it die.

I will always be upset at SOE for forcing Vanguard to die as it did.  There were still thousands of subscribers when they did this too, so dont go telling me that it was because there were no subs.  They just didn't want competition eating into the lesser games EQ2... which just never was as compelling as Vanguard.

Anyway, it's all over now.  Future games are where it's at, and if SOE can pull themselves out with EQN or it's Brad and his new IP, then I'm all for it.  Just stop the little F2P crap that nobody even looks at anymore.  Please bring out some good stuff.

SOE didn't acquire Vanguard until months after the release.  The game just didn't do well, only selling around 250k units.  Subscriber numbers dropped drastically in the months to follow.

Like it or not, SOE is the only reason Vanguard still exists.  Without them, Sigil would have had to shut it down because 40k subs simply isn't enough.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by WallisHall

SOE didn't acquire Vanguard until months after the release.  The game just didn't do well, only selling around 250k units.  Subscriber numbers dropped drastically in the months to follow.

Like it or not, SOE is the only reason Vanguard still exists.  Without them, Sigil would have had to shut it down because 40k subs simply isn't enough.

That does have some truth to it.  I only complain that SOE squandered the time they had at start.  They changed many aspects to the game for no reason other than it was not like WOW.  Faction was pretty much removed.  (and yes it worked fine when it was in there.)  Armor and weapon specifications was removed (and it was one of the unique features in the game)  Isle of death was created (so it would be so different than other games like EQ2 you klnow...)  The trial island was just plain a bad idea.  it sucked and did nothing for the game but confuse everyone.

But as I've said before.  The future is where it's at.  EQ Next and Pantheon.

• LFGroupLFGroup Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by arieste
    And there i thought he'd call it  "Epic Fail 2: The Vision Strikes Again"

Ahah QFT !

As good as his ideas might be, this guy is the laziest I've ever heard about currently working (or at least trying to look like it) in the video game industry. He's definitely responsible for Vanguard utter failure and will never get another cent from me.

It's the same thing when you got a job : you can be as talented as you want, if you behave like an a**, you're fired, period.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Originally posted by Margulis
    We'll see how it looks - I liked EQ1 and Vanguard.  And I'm interested in playing good games not finding whatever personal flaws I can in the game creators themselves, lord knows I have them and so does everyone else.  If it's fun I'll play it.

+1

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Geez, should've just called it, "EPIC SOUNDING WORD: Generic cliched subtitle".

Hopefully the game itself shows a little more effort & innovation, and that Brad hires somebody else to run the company so he's free to focus on the game itself. Much like Mark Kern or David Allen, he has some great ideas but doesn't belong in a leadership role, period.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Well, according to McQuaid's twitter feeds (personal and company) this game is nearly four years away from release. Heavy beta testing is planned. He says that it is an "epic challenging high planar fantasy setting" with mechanics rooted in being a "modern challenging mmo group game." Frankly, that's a lot of buzz words for article tags that do not really tell anything, isn't it? I guess you can say I expected more than a little picture logo, buzz words, and a long name. Obviously He doesn't have anything to show yet so to me this is the bad kind of hype coming way too early before there is anything to get excited about.

As to McQuaid? I have no feelings toward him and his work. Just that I have seen a lot of potential not fully realized when his name is involved. I will keep an electronic ear to the net tracks for info over time but I do that for most games. But there is no news aside from another industry name is working on something that may or may not make it to disk drives.  

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Cmon Braid, give us more
  • HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708

I don't know, Brad. You had my hopes so high with VG, and I was so disapointed.

This is both making me excited and dubious at the same time. Well, at least we can say something : he can't fail harder than he has. "Rise of the Fallen" : who are we talking about here? ;)

• HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708

From http://www.bradmcquaid.com/Brad_McQuaid/Welcome.html :

Brad left SOE in August 2013 as part of a huge RIF.  With so many jobless developers in the area and so many exciting game design ideas in his head, Brad formed a new company in September 2013.  They immediately began development of a new, classic, challenging, group-focused MMO called Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.  The new company will launch a Kickstarter site in January 2014 which will reveal all sorts of details about both the company and the game, including videos, concept art, and even actual in-game screenshots and short clips of the game itself.  Brad has assumed the role of Chief Creative Officer and one of the Producers of Pantheon.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Anything he touches ?

Are you serious? Where you even around during launch?

If SOE didn´t step in and throw in an extra 25 million in funding, the game wouldn´t have even been launched!

As Microsoft saw Braid was just burning Money and pulled out half way during Development!

If SOE didn´t step in 5 months after launch and bought up his studio + game, Vanguard would have been shut Down 5 months after release!

And in SOE´s defense. The first year and half they put quite a decent size dev team With experienced devs on the game and managed to fix most of the serious issues, like continious rubber banding issues and constant hanging when you crossed chunks! They also added quite a bit of content to make the game more Complete.

But no one came back and the server pops continued to decline, so at a given point SOE stopped throwing Money at it and removed most of the devs and put it on life support.

That is just the blunt releality of current day economics! You get one shot With Your games today! At launch and when you fail, you´re done for! You cannot expect SOE to just keep throwing Money at a game that didn´t attract any players but the hardcore few.

Their last attempt was to create a New centralised experience With the Isle of Dawn to bring New players together in one big starter zone and even that didn´t help.

At one point, enough is enough.

SOE simply doesn´t have the funds like Square Enix has to completely redevelop the entire game and release Vanguard 2.0.

It´s too risky, especially in todays economic climate.

For SE it turned out a success With FFXIV:ARR, but it could have easily tanked and caused a severe Financial blow to SE.

I was around at launch and for 8 months after, and i can confirm that your entire post, is in fact, bullcrap.

Sony spent all of 1-2 months doing actual work on the game before they abandoned it again.  Almost all the work that was done fixing bugs was done post release, by sigil, before SOE bought it out.  The idea that SOE buying out the game somehow "saved it from imminent failure" is the biggest pile of garbage ever foisted on the public i've seen.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche