Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

12 weekends til release

rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

Only 12 weekends before the game gets released.

So a few observations, questions, thoughts.

How many betas will there be in those 12 weeks? Three? Four? Less? If there is an open beta then that probably cuts a couple of those weekends away. Also if they have a pre release (which is likely) that also cuts into another weekend.

So realistically how many 'useful' weekends before release? 9? 10? Thats not a very long time. Especially considering what people saw (more importantly didnt see) the last beta. Coupled with the whole question about crafting.

People really think the game will be ready in that amount of time? To think that you have to believe the game is at least 90, if not 95% release ready as of right now. Which also assumes they 'fix' stuff people find then release that build for people to play/test.

This idea that they have been giving versions 4 or 5 generation behind their current version is folly. Why would they do that and if they are and those versions are still broken what does that really say?

if we dont get a beta this upcoming weekend, that is another one down. So when do people realistically expect to see a beta?

Another point, will they have an extended 24/7 beta, not just a weekend beta (with down times). Maybe one that lasts 5 or maybe even 7 days? With maybe a rebuild or a hotfix added(without taking the servers down) to test that technology. 

When you look at it there isnt a lot of time. People still like to cite 4 months or whatever nonsense they have over. But it is realistically less than 10 weeks before they have to have this game release ready. Even in the digital download age where they can make changes right up until they offer it, that isnt a lot of time.

The fact that there has been almost nothing (of substance) since they announced the hard release date is even more troubling. Sure people blame the holidays and whatnot, but the world hasnt stopped the past two weeks, and other than some innocuous PvP video there hasnt been a lot of news. Two weeks represented 14% of the time they had from then til they release the game. Thats a pretty decent percentage. 2 weeks now represents almost 17% of the time they have left. if we dont have any new news or a beta then what? 2 weeks will be more than 20% of the time they have left.

There is a severe diminishing return on how many days they keep delaying news and how many days they have til release.

This next week should be eventful, if it isnt it will not look good. Especially when this is supposed to be the time when the hype machine is at its peak. Right now its complete crickets.

Comments

• LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223
     Pretty sure this is a fanboi thread, and I'll gladly answer : Nobody cares.    The only reason this game will even be able to break sale records is because it's called Elder Scrolls.   Let's have a discussion 12 weeks after release to see how many are actually left playing.    By the time TESO releases, D3's expansion Reapers of Soul will be out and I got to admit, the game will kick some serious butt and it's about time Blizzard woke the hell up.   TESO is over hyped, end of story.
  • Skeeter50Skeeter50 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by LeGrosGamer
     Pretty sure this is a fanboi thread, and I'll gladly answer : Nobody cares.    The only reason this game will even be able to break sale records is because it's called Elder Scrolls.   Let's have a discussion 12 weeks after release to see how many are actually left playing.    By the time TESO releases, D3's expansion Reapers of Soul will be out and I got to admit, the game will kick some serious butt and it's about time Blizzard woke the hell up.   TESO is over hyped, end of story.

Join date. It is a conspiracy, especially when you speak of diablo 3.image

Ok, so the quoted post is nearly as rediculous as mine. My point is, the OP made a interesting thread, can we be on point please?

• ViperDragonViperDragon Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Fanboy here, and proud of it.  I'm really excited about Elder Scrolls Online.  I know I'll be able to list a dozen things I don't like when it goes live, but I'm willing to bet those will get ironed out, and I'll like more than I dislike.  I've actually just got back into playing Skyrim with a new character - just to work on my skills.  LOL

A great list of free games (mostly MMORPGs): http://www.mytop10games.com/

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    They do a lot of their own testing. Us beta testers are largely just stress testing. This phenomenon of large public beta tests is a rather new concept. Even WoW had a pretty small beta test and no open beta to speak of. I don't know anyone who was in EQ2 beta. They don't need big betas as much as you think they do.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Pretty sure this is a hater thread from someone that has no clue about this game...but hates it for being a themepark instead of a sandbox...

so what exactly was your point?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    I hope the PvP is good. I'm sure the PvE will be good with a good story, not the main attraction here for me though but I do like a game with a good story. Oh yeah and the crafting, interested in how this will play out seeing as they are tight lipped on it still.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

So true it isn't even funny.  Although I don't know anything about D3 since Path of Exile is a far superior game but the information about ESO is spot the Eff on.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Fearum
    I hope the PvP is good. I'm sure the PvE will be good with a good story, not the main attraction here for me though but I do like a game with a good story. Oh yeah and the crafting, interested in how this will play out seeing as they are tight lipped on it still.

Zerging is the way to go in this kind of PvP setup...  I personally hate zerging... Daoc was awesome PvP for the 8 mans we ran, which if any good allowed you to cc dozens of players and kill them one by one...  GW2 with much less cc removed this option and all there was left was the zerg...  Sadly ESO will go the same way...

GW2 learned me that challenging Pvp in an instance is much more fun then open world Zerging

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• PigglesworthPigglesworth Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Yet another doom and gloom thread from those with no idea how things are done.

@PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708

I'm one of those who are excited for it.  On paper, the mass amount of dungeons, contested dungeons, Adventure zones and the PvP all have me excited and seem like a lot of content off the bat.  Now I do have my concerns.  After playing Oblivion/Skyrim, I noticed there's a lack of monsters in the world to fight with a lot of emphasis on questing to obtain your skill points/levels.   Now, does this take place in ESO? Not sure but from what Ive heard about the first starter zone, it seems that way.  But again, that was a starter zone.  Will it open up past the starter zone?  I sure as hell hope so and I know some friends who are looking into it hope so as well.  Now, don't get me wrong, it is an Elder Scrolls game which means itll be story driven but there should be different ways of progressing your character other then just questing/doing the story and I hope they open it up that way.

In my opinion, they have to have a mix of content to please the masses.  What I mean by that is, content for those people who love to quest(which I can be but like a change of pace) for xp/gear and since its an Elder Scrolls game, It WILL have a ton of quest content, and XP for those who like to go out and kill stuff in the world(I also love doing this as well).  Again, from what I've heard about the first starter zone, it was primarily questing which is a little disheartening and worrisome.  I sure hope the contested dungeons open up the possibility for group xp grind groups for those who enjoy to team up with friends/guildies and hunt mobs for xp/skill points.  Adventure zones - What is the significance of those?  Xp? Loot? raids? all 3? Im excited to see what they are and how they will play a role in the content we get.  Will they progress in difficulty the further in you explore in each zone? Will there be static mob camps to hunt mobs? Will there be named monsters to go after for loot? So many questions regarding those zones.

Afterall, it is an MMO which means theyre going to need a carrot at the end of the stick driving people to continue playing and so with that said, that means itll more then likely be gear based.  As well as realm pride based through the Cyrodill PvP.  Everybody loves loot else we all wouldnt be playing these kind of games.  Is gear going to have stats on them that affect our character how do they in other games?  As in + to str, or dex, etc.  Now I understand the stat system in the game is different relying on Magicka, Stamina, and Health but what other stats are there going to be and will they appear on gear? Is more difficult content, I.e expert/heroic/group content going to need a tank?(I love that roll of playing tanks) I know gear will have its benefits, example; Heavy armor having + HP/defensive, leather having evasion, cloth having + to mana regen etc. But will they also have stats on them? 

In a nutshell;

Will there be areas to hunt mobs for xp or will it be forced questing to gain levels/skill points/gear? (I hope not, FFXIV took the forced route and myself and my buddies left quickly because you had no incentive to go out and hunt the wild other then for the Fates)

Will there be named monsters in the world to go after for loot?

WIll the contested dungeons/Instances/Adventure zones be ways to obtain xp/skill points/loot?

How open are the zones/How big are they? Im not expecting skyrim big but seeing as how there will be zonelines, will each zone be large and open or funneled and linear?

Im sure Ill have more questions but cant think of them right now off the top of my head.  A lot of these are questions thatll dictate whether my buddies play or not.  More so for them, and not me.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Fearum

Zerging is the way to go in this kind of PvP setup...  I personally hate zerging... Daoc was awesome PvP for the 8 mans we ran, which if any good allowed you to cc dozens of players and kill them one by one...  GW2 with much less cc removed this option and all there was left was the zerg...  Sadly ESO will go the same way...

GW2 learned me that challenging Pvp in an instance is much more fun then open world Zerging

Large scale pvp can be looked at as zerging but I doubt that kind of tactic is going to get you anything more than a quick take over while you lose everything behind you. Also everything you destroy will need to be rebuilt so it will slow down zergs.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

All of your assumptions are based around the idea that the game in it's current form is broken and needs significant work to compete.  I have not played it so I can't really comment on if that's true or false but if the developers released a firm launch date then I would say they feel the game is functionally complete minus some fine tuning and would disagree with that assumption.

If you go on that assumption that the game is functionally complete  than it's easy to say 2-3 more beta weekends with a week or so open beta and 2-3 days headstart launch and there is plenty of time.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Although I don't know anything about D3 since Path of Exile is a far superior game [...]

You know nothing about D3, but know that Path of Exile is a "far superior game"?

MMORPG.com in a nutshell, sad to say.

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208

I just hope we see a bigger open beta before release. Could be a good opportunity to get in game and see if it is worth pre ordering, and how the tech is holding up.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Well, OP if they are true to their word I would expect Open Beta in the middle of March for early adopters. and perhaps two big weekend betas in February based on past games.  That's all I expect to see from them with nothing in January for most. Like you I sincerely doubt it will be ready and feature complete but after all the dimes and time spent they have what they are going to have. It's at a point where you shovel it out and hope for the best. Yeah, I just referred to it as shovel ware... It's all theory crafting though.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372

Well, now that the holiday season is over I'm sure we'll see a big uptick in news and activity regarding the launch of this title. 

If we're in the middle of Feb and still not much info, then perhaps a possible slip in release date might be on the horizon.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Pretty sure by this response and the vast majority of the responses in this thread, most of you haven't finished high school and have very limited reading comprehension skills.  Less commenting on forums and more doing homework.  This thread was almost completely opposite of a 'fanboi' post.  The OP is basically bashing the game state as well as the 'fanbois' for making excuses for a game that likely isn't anywhere near ready for launch, with so little time left'.  I don't really think it's a 'hater' post either.  'Hater' is the correct label, right?  That's what cool kids on the internet call people who disagree with someone, in a lame attempt to gain acceptance with their peers, yes?

From my knowledge, the game isn't ready.  There isn't much time left.  For my experience in beta tests, games never change in a meaningful way this close to it's release.  You can ignore me if you want, but you'd be wrong.  If you are comfortable with that fact, that's fine.  Even blind people can see beauty I suppose.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

well, i for one, and am  kinda stoked, i DID play in the beta, so screw you all :P

interesting though, why am i stoked for this game, hmm how can i say without breaking NDA.

ive played mmorpgs almost 25 years now, and have well over 30 beta tests under my belt, including ESO. ya, ya , i was young once, but am now getting to that age, heh, BUT ,  this games beta is more polished so far imho, than alot of the games that went on to have a decent lifespan. 

and thats my opinion. /sticks out tounge

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• drakolasdrakolas Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I didn't have high hopes for ESO originally, but I'm actually kind of looking forward to see how it turns out now. Even if they stupidly rush the launch like so many MMOs have done all I care is that they address the issues relatively soon after since I rarely buy games on launch anyway. I actually played in the last beta as well and enjoyed it for the most part, but I didn't get very far into it due to time constraints and I'm still waiting to see more about the late game.
  • SoulTrapOnSelfSoulTrapOnSelf Member Posts: 190
    one thing for sure is that this week there should be some sort of news or else the fans are gonna lose it
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I cannot believe how much we don't know about this game.....and that's not a good thing, this close to launch.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    I cannot believe how much we don't know about this game.....and that's not a good thing, this close to launch.

I agree.

Most game publishers are anxious to control the information and have official sites early on in development with a lot of information about the core game elements.

For this game you have to go to third party sources (the Tamriel Foundry being the best: http://tamrielfoundry.com/) where some fans have sifted through all the scattered interviews and info and tried their best to put it together in one place.

The only hard info in the official site is some scattered Q&As, usually with uninformative titles such as "Ask us anyhting - Variety Pack 11"...

... that and the cutesy, gimmicky "Developer Question of the Week" where they bring out a developer from the back room, dust off the cookie crumbs from his T-shirt, throw him in front of the camera to ask such important questions as: "You're given the opportunity to be a Daedra prince for a week. You've great power and no morals. What would you do?" (really...that's this week's question #52)

It's a very weird PR and marketing strategy.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

While I agree it would be nice if there was more info out, I am still very much looking forward to this game. Can't wait until the next beta and more importantly for me, the launch!

And thanks for the thread, I didn't realize it was only 12 weekends away :)

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

Now that I think about it, your right.  Their website doesnt have very much information at all on the game other then the Alliance war.  Thats a bit surprising but if you do think about it, theyre apart of the "Elder Scrolls" franchise so maybe theyre trying to play their cards right and making damn sure things are right before doing so?  Who knows.  Theyre apart of one fo the biggest franchises being Elder Scrolls and I think they know that.  I wish we could get a little more information on the PvE parts.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I hope this is a G R E A T game.

It's been a very longtime since I have played one.

This game and THE REPOPULATION are my only hope  for 2014.