Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 worth it?

Comments

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

One addition which I felt deserved its own post rather than adding to my wall of text above...

There was a poster(I wont name names) who said GW2 is probably the worst game he has ever played, not just MMOs.  Please completely ignore this person.  I can direct you to a myriad of kickstarter, small/medium/large budget games MMOs and non MMOs that are simply BAD.  GW2 is a quasi well through concept and launched with enormous potential and hope to be a genre changing game.  And for three months, it was just that.   Lately, the direction has shifted and I simply can't stand by it anymore. 

Its a solid MMO, probably the most solid MMO on the market next to WoW.

The people that blindly say "OMG THIS IS SO BAD THE WORST GAME EVAR"...ignore them.  The game is good, but has many many flaws that are not due to the GAME itself, but the direction and guiding hand of Arenanet.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by ASVP

Games like Rift are games that I feel like I'll have so much fun with but I end up getting bored by level 20. But for Guild Wars, it's more of a playstyle that I feel like I'll enjoy because it seems really fun, but on the other hand I hear lots of people don't like it overall and it's way too easy. 

Anyone who owns this game can tell me is it honestly worth the $50 and is it actually fun? 

Thanks

It was worth it.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

*snip*
    Anyone who owns this game can tell me is it honestly worth the $50 and is it actually fun? Thanks

I no longer play but GW2 and TSW are both worth it and eventually when I get the mood I intend to play them again.

• StarS0ftStarS0ft Member UncommonPosts: 124

Games like Rift are games that I feel like I'll have so much fun with but I end up getting bored by level 20. But for Guild Wars, it's more of a playstyle that I feel like I'll enjoy because it seems really fun, but on the other hand I hear lots of people don't like it overall and it's way too easy. 

Anyone who owns this game can tell me is it honestly worth the $50 and is it actually fun? 

Thanks

YES!

/age

498 days, 1883h

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

I like it and so does my GF.

If you want to like MMORPGs but feel that it is like watching the game play itself, GW2 might be for you.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by Siphaed

Originally posted by ASVP Thanks guys but one more question   At the end, would be playing PvP with your level 80 is something fun or just to pass time because there isn't really anything to do 
    Yes, the game is a whole lot of fun, plus some.

PvP is dependent on WHAT KIND OF PvP you enjoy. 

There's the ranked/unranked sPvP, which is not level-based, but skill-based.   There it's instanced maps with team scores based on point capture (although they are currently working on Team Deathmatch, King of the Hill, and a few other modes).

World vs. World vs. World is where true PvP is at.   Right now there's the 3 identical Borderland maps, the Jumping Puzzle map, and the Eternal Battlegrounds map; however they're currently guild testing the Mists map to add an additional location for that.  Besides being able to level 1-80 there, you'll also be gaining WvW Ranks too.  Those you can use to increase your siege weapon capabilities, supply usage, defenses/attacks against NPC guards, and so much more.  With the WvW Ranks, it's consistent progression because nobody has made it to the ultra high levels of ....I think it goes up to 2,000,...but I could be wrong.

Also, you can search around and try to find it cheaper than $50.  Best Buy has it for $40 and that took 10sec to Google.   Even check your local software stores that might have the box for cheap if possible.     However, it's still well worth the $50 full price if you pay that much.

This guy forgot to add..."for a month" after his claim that it is the best game out there. Soon as you hit max level on a character you will quickly discover why everyone left this game in droves.

Any evidence to back up your clearly biased, yet false claims? Because the last word of the developers is that the game was growing, not losing customer "in droves". Not once has the game, in it's 1.5 year run, has it had to merger servers; completely unlike nearly every other MMORPG that has launched in the past 4+years that all have had to merger away servers.

The game did lose a lot of players after launch. That is the reason they went to the two week release schedule for the Living Story. They had evidence that it was bringing some people back. They then stated that the game was growing "slowly but steadily." 

Actually, Living Story was announced in October 2012.

The growth of players they talked about was around January 2013.

The 2 week Living Story release was around April 2013 or something like that, after the players complaining 1 month was too long to wait tof the new Living Story. Then they complained 2 weeks was too fast.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by LittleBoot

To say 'don't use a fundamental design criteria in a game' is absurd in the extreme.  Perhaps I should play games with one hand tied behind my back to make it harder? 

Ridiculous.  

Wait a minute...

You're complaining that there are too many waypoints (in the most hyperbolic way I can imagine... 'every 2 meters'? Really?).

Someone suggests "then don't use them" - a 100% logical response/solution to your "problem".

You come back and tell them it's 'absurd in the extreme' to suggest not using something that you're bitching about the existence of?

You realize it's completely optional to use those? You are free to use waypoints as often or seldom as you wish. You can use them to get everywhere, you can use them only to travel across zones or into other zones. You can choose not to use them at all. It's 100% your choice.

You seem confused. What, exactly, is  your problem? Do you even know? Are you just complaining for the sake of complaining here? 

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by LittleBoot

So called dynamic events as seen in Rift or even War will be repeated.

You seem confused again; this time regarding what the 'dynamic' means in 'Dynamic Events'. You seem to think that, by 'dynamic', they mean "one-time events that happen completely out of the blue and never happen again'. That's not what they mean by 'dynamic'. You're criticizing them for not being something they aren't described to be.

From the GW2 Wiki:

Dynamic events refer to any event that occurs in a persistent area as a result of players interacting with and exploring the world. They are called "dynamic" because there are multiple outcomes that also result in new events, creating a cascade effect. Once an event has triggered, it will develop whether or not a player attends it. Because of this, there is no real concept of failure or success – the result of any event will simply cause a change in the surrounding area. For example, if monsters are successful in raiding an area, they may become strong enough to occupy a fort, which could then be taken by players.

- Source

So, you see, the 'dynamic' part relates to how new event stages are spawned based upon the outcome of previous ones in the chain. The outcome is 'dynamic' in that it's determined based on the success or failure (or absence if none are present) of players in previous stages. They don't play out exactly the same regardless of player interaction.

An extremely simple example: I was up in Diessa fields and happened to get through an area with a waypoint, which I opened up. It was populated by the 'good guys'. A little while later, I decided to hop back there to sell something off, and found I couldn't because in the time since I'd left, a group of renegade Charr attacked and successfully took control, since they weren't prevented from doing so. I went back, killed off the renegade Charr and returned control to the good guys, after which I was able to use the waypoint agai. Further, additional events became available that would not have been otherwise.

Active combat (far more so than GW2) as seen in many, many games will be repeated.  People mistake innovation for branding (or vice versa).  

Not sure what your gripe is here. It's action combat. Yes, other games have it. So what? It's still action combat.... If a person enjoys that combat style, it could be a 'plus' to them. If they don't like it, it could be a 'minus'.

I would also note that you deleted the apart of my post about 30 responses in a thread not being a representative sample of anything, or the habit of F2P or B2P to quote their peak rather than active users.  

Because none of that has anything to do with the OP's post/question. It's completely irrelevant. They're simply asking if people feel the game is worth playing. If your suggestion is that the game isn't populated, well... that's easily proven false by anyone who is playing it.

Honestly, every post I read from you on this thread comes across as you desperately trying to bash a game you clearly don't like, except all you're doing is flailing about and ranting aimlessly about things that are wrong, that matter very little, or don't matter at all, because you have no actual ammunition to do so.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Your first statement doesn't even make sense, you "feel" like Rift is the best game for you but you give only until level 20? Which BTW is very little time in game, I guess some people are impossible to please. 
  • MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Yes.

Best MMO currently on the market, if you can live without endgame-raiding.

If you like PvP, then this game should be your first choice anyway. WvWvW is the best PvP experience you could have in any MMO out there. Some players just do that for hours every day and nothing else. There are BGs, too (and they are good).

PS: How could you ask here? These are the offical "flame GW2 as the second coming of Satan"-forums. Some guys flame this game here every day, like other people have breakfast or walk out their dogs.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Vutar
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by ASVP Thanks guys but one more question   At the end, would be playing PvP with your level 80 is something fun or just to pass time because there isn't really anything to do 

There's the ranked/unranked sPvP, which is not level-based, but skill-based.   There it's instanced maps with team scores based on point capture (although they are currently working on Team Deathmatch, King of the Hill, and a few other modes).

World vs. World vs. World is where true PvP is at.   Right now there's the 3 identical Borderland maps, the Jumping Puzzle map, and the Eternal Battlegrounds map; however they're currently guild testing the Mists map to add an additional location for that.  Besides being able to level 1-80 there, you'll also be gaining WvW Ranks too.  Those you can use to increase your siege weapon capabilities, supply usage, defenses/attacks against NPC guards, and so much more.  With the WvW Ranks, it's consistent progression because nobody has made it to the ultra high levels of ....I think it goes up to 2,000,...but I could be wrong.

Also, you can search around and try to find it cheaper than $50.  Best Buy has it for $40 and that took 10sec to Google.   Even check your local software stores that might have the box for cheap if possible.     However, it's still well worth the $50 full price if you pay that much.

This guy forgot to add..."for a month" after his claim that it is the best game out there. Soon as you hit max level on a character you will quickly discover why everyone left this game in droves.

Any evidence to back up your clearly biased, yet false claims? Because the last word of the developers is that the game was growing, not losing customer "in droves". Not once has the game, in it's 1.5 year run, has it had to merger servers; completely unlike nearly every other MMORPG that has launched in the past 4+years that all have had to merger away servers.

Evidence? You mean more evidence is needed then logging in to see empty zone upon empty zone?  Oh right, I forgot you are one of those people who take Anet at their word when they put "heavy" by the server name. Carry on then. I don't want to be the one to tell you there is no Santa Claus.

You are being somewhat hypocritical here. You are chiding him for his evidence comment and yet you have none yourself. His is basically an opinion and so is yours. However, he does have a good point that there hasn't been a single server shut down and that is very unheard of with other newly released AAA games in the past. 

I just played a few hours today and found more than enough people having fun. I'm not sure what the "heavy" comment means, I never even see it because I login to play and not to worry about who isn't.

You didn't actually ready the posts did you? He was the one demanding evidence not me. So if anyone was being hypocritical it was him. Of course, since he is a GW2 fan, I won't expect you to chastise him for it. Carry on with your agenda.

Of course I read your comment, otherwise I would not have been able to post a comment. Did you read what I stated? Of course you did. I didn't say you were demanding evidence, I said you had none yourself.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I seldom play it due to the fact that it just can't keep my attention for some unknown reason. But, It was well worth the purchase price since I can jump in game anytime I feel like it. 
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

You didn't actually ready the posts did you? He was the one demanding evidence not me. So if anyone was being hypocritical it was him. Of course, since he is a GW2 fan, I won't expect you to chastise him for it. Carry on with your agenda.

Of course I read your comment, other wise I would not have been able to post a comment. Did you read what I stated? Of course you did. I didn't say you were demanding evidence, I said you had none yourself.

You called me a hypocrite which makes zero sense. If anyone was a hypocrite it was the guy with zero evidence demanding that I provide evidence. (Which I did provide btw, simply log in to GW2 and see the empty servers, all the evidence anyone needs) Unfortunately, in your haste to bash someone that does not hold your religious devotion to GW2, you completely missed the context of my post and went off on a tangent about hypocrites. It's okay, don't dig the hole further, you were wrong and we can all move on from it.

I played a couple hours again today, there are many people playing. Your "evidence" is based on your opinion. To me there are many people playing, to you there aren't. You calling him out is hypocritical because neither of you have evidence, you have opinions.

Next, in what way was I bashing you?  This is a forum and it is part of a forum to discuss our views. If there was bashing it was you and your taunting statement to the other member about Santa Clause.

edit: In a nutshell this discussion is about whether Guild Wars 2 is worth it. The majority of the people here have said it is. And I agree that it is worth it! /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I stopped playing  5 months after excitedly buying and following the game. If you are looking for only pve...a bad crafting system and an even worst World vs World feature....and a virtually silent player base....this is the game for you.
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

The game did lose a lot of players after launch. That is the reason they went to the two week release schedule for the Living Story. They had evidence that it was bringing some people back. They then stated that the game was growing "slowly but steadily." 

The 2 week Living Story release was around April 2013 or something like that, after the players complaining 1 month was too long to wait tof the new Living Story. Then they complained 2 weeks was too fast.

Actually....No. 

The two week release schedule was an attempt to maintain current players and most likely to bring players back. Here is a link: http://guildwars.incgamers.com/blog/comments/guild-wars-2-player-base-continues-to-increase

I actually commend ArenaNet for doing it. They realized they had an issue and tried to fix it. They are trying to give players something. It may not have turned out quite like they expected, but at least they did something. Lots of other companies just let their games move on to life support. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Definitely worth it. I have a bit over 2,000 hours played with only paying $60. Has to be the best gaming investment I've ever done.
  • Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167

The short answer (since I'm sure there are plenty of explanations posted) is YES.

This is the best MMO out right now.

It is far from perfect, but it is my favorite, due in large part to the free 2-week content updates.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

If you treat it like a single player game yeah, but it gets boring real fast after a month or two. The living story approach they are taking is crap.

Wish it was even 1/10th of the game Guild Wars 1 was, that game kept me entertained for years.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

Thanks

I'm recently returned to the game and it's still fun after 500+ hours. The key to it is finding a good group and experiencing its content. It's also a lot better than Rift, in my opinion. 

• jdizzle2k13jdizzle2k13 Member UncommonPosts: 251

The game is certainly worth the $60 I originally paid to get it.

I love the action combat.  I was so used in WoW to just standing around and smacking things because it was the most efficient way to fight, or standing around and tossing heals.  In Guild Wars 2, positioning is more important, and you can dodge and get out of the way of an attack.  There are no direct heals, except for your self heals, but you can spec most professions to provide aoe healing to your allies.

And since there is no subscription, you can put it down and pick it up anytime you feel like it.

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Actually....No. 

The two week release schedule was an attempt to maintain current players and most likely to bring players back. Here is a link: http://guildwars.incgamers.com/blog/comments/guild-wars-2-player-base-continues-to-increase

I actually commend ArenaNet for doing it. They realized they had an issue and tried to fix it. They are trying to give players something. It may not have turned out quite like they expected, but at least they did something. Lots of other companies just let their games move on to life support. 

Actually... Yes.

http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom/b/358339359

Transcript from dulfy.net from the MMORPG,com MMOFTW 18 January 2013.

http://dulfy.net/2013/01/19/gw2-colin-johanson-mmorpg-livestream-transcript-jan-18/

"How are things going in GW2?

• Interesting life cycle in a MMO – once a MMO comes out, you immediately become a MMO service provider. Once a MMO launches, you have that peak concurrency right off the bat, then population drops down and it settles into the core player base, then that core population slowly decline every month after that.
    • If you look at EVE, WoW, those are great examples of games that settled into their base population after launch and then every month start to grow a bit. All the other games that weren’t as successful hit their base point and started to drop off a bit.
    • We actually hit our base point with GW2 where for a month we saw the same login numbers and every week for the last 5 weeks it has being slowly going up and that is really exciting for us.
    • We are the fastest selling MMO ever made – to get to 3 million copies (maybe not including China). The game is doing better than we ever imagined it could

Where did you guys think you would be after launch at this point?

• We definitely didn’t expect to have this many sales, this many concurrent users, this many logins. Our goal is to hit our base user and then build on that every month and have it go up. We definitely seen that.
    • The actual sales and actual numbers are much higher – a big chunk higher than where we thought we would be right now. Can’t say the details.

How is the Black Lion Trading Company working out?

• In GW1 we had a really small live team because the game wasn’t big enough to generate a consistent revenue. The gems/micro-transaction based model allow us to have a much larger live team in GW2, allowing players to see much more content on a monthly basis.
    • Our live team in GW2 is 15-20 times larger than the live team in GW1."

It is good to know it was still increasing by August 2013 and it matches my in game perception even though there has been several complains about "the game direction".

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

It's the best "world" to just do stuff in, but if you want to have goals and end game objectives you're gona just end up farming and grinding a lot because there is no better alternative. Once you've seen everything, it's worth logging in to see the living story sometimes.

I've got a 100% world clear (Has done every possible map objective in the entire game) with 100% puzzle clear (Has seen all the hidden jumping puzzles) and none of it has stuck with me.

The only things that really ever hit me in any meaningful way were Liadri the Concealing Dark and Mad Kings Clocktower. They were extremely challenging and fun, but ultimately (they are not in the game anymore either) they were public but solo. Most public events that look really cool, and attract a lot of players are just a meaningless zerg fest. Dungeons are neat, but ultimately they are just farmed for gear skins. Fractals get challenging but require an absurd amount of grinding to be able to get to the point when they are actually hard. The Mists (WvWvW) is neat unless you are on an off hour for your server or the opponents at which point it is impossible to make a real difference, or conversely find a real fight.

sPvP or the battlegrounds would be fun, if the builds were a little more forgiving and you could be successful with your favorite play style but instead you will be shoehorned into a fotm build in order to matter.

I personally dislike every class in the game, none of them have a play style I like. You will likely not share my distaste.

I will probably never play the game again even though I started out loving it because of the amazing beta events and polished starting areas. The game has a good hook, that is for sure.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    MMO content for a one time price. Of course it's worth it.  Each class different from the other, solo content, small group content, large group content, large scale PvP, regular content updates, regular events, great community, focus on exploration, decent crafting, cash shop that has nothing esential.
  • OculatusOculatus Member Posts: 29

I have been playing the game on and off since start (bought a CE). This game is incredibly stable, detailed and you got tons of stuff to do and the endgame can be very challenging, and some even impossible with pugs, so I think it is something for everyone here, and imo defiantly worth the money.

• TohcixTohcix Member Posts: 13

Yeah I cant say it's that great either.

I have a lvl 42 engineer, and no matter what i do, i get the feeling of being underpowered, not able to kill anything although i try to stay on level with my gear.

And since you get de-leveled when you enter lower level stuff, it's a slap to the face again.

Honestly I cant recomment this game.

I loved Guild Wars 1, but GW2... no cant do it.

Necromancer pets are pure shit, they cant handle anything and the damage they deal is pathetic, truly useless.

I spend more time summoning pets, then anything else.

Am i playing the class wrong? no idea, but the way it feels when i play, is to just give up. She is lvl 25 or something.

So how all the classes is at max level i have NO idea, but if you need to be lax level to really feel the power of a class, then thats a fail right there.