Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows Purchase Help

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

OK, I need to build a new machine, but I'm both waiting for the latest AMD "Kaveri" chips to come out to see how they do, and I'm also waiting to build up a bit of money before making a bunch of purchases. However, I'm currently running Windows XP, and my classes are going to require me to have at least Windows 7.

So, which version of Windows do I purchase from NewEgg that will allow me to install it on my current machine, and then in a couple months allow me to install it on the new machine, disabling it on the old machine? Does anyone know for sure?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416712

From the licensing agreement:

Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key, and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers. You may transfer Get Genuine Windows software, Pro Pack or Media Center Pack software only together with the licensed computer.

----

That version is $120.  There is a $100 OEM version that doesn't let you transfer it to another computer.  If you prefer Windows 7, the full version of it is $200, if you can even still find it.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Thank you sir. If we had forum karma, I would send some your way. :-)

As a side note, I would prefer Windows 7, but I can live with Windows 8, as long as my games run.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    If you're doing some types of IT work you might need Windows 8.1 Pro   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416711. It is $200.You can compare the features here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/products-and-technologies/windows-8-1/compare/default.aspx.The most common issues would be the need to host RDP, domain join, and Hyper-V. If it's for classes your professors or aides should know if you need Pro over Home. If your school participates in MSDNAA, or some similar program, you might be able to get a Windows license for free.

It's just an intro to IT class covering Microsoft Office. I've been writing applications that automate Office for almost ten years now, so I don't think I'll have any issues with the class, but I have to take it for the degree. I just can't use my work machines for the class work and I do most of my personal computing on a Linux lappy, so my other machine runs XP, which it's been happily doing since forever. If it wasn't for this class, I could wait until I build a new machine or until April when XP will no longer be supported. I would think Windows Home would do the trick since it's just this class and then games. :-)

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Do they offer MSDNAA or whatever they call the program now? You might be able to get a Win7 or Win8 license for free. Other than that, yeah a Home license should work fine.Anyway good luck with the degree. Nice job.

Thanks. It's about time I got around to getting a degree in something. :-)

I'll have to check on the MSDNAA. They offer plenty of development classes so maybe that's something that's available. Thanks for bringing it up.

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325

If you have a student email account you can usually get copies at a significant discount.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/edu

Looks like the versions available through my school and through the Microsoft education site are upgrade versions rather than full versions. This would be fine, but I'd rather pay the extra $11 for the full version of the Home edition over the upgrade version of the Pro edition, given that I'm not going to use or need the pro edition features. I've just never had much luck with upgrade editions of Windows working very well.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

The upgrade edition is the same as the OEM/Retail edition, with the caveat that at some point during the installation you have to "prove" that you own an valid copy of an eligible OS to upgrade from - if it's not already installed on your hard drive and upgrading over top of it they usually make you prove it by sticking in the installation CD of an older version of Windows.

That being said, the Student editions are nice, but with your pending new system your best bet really is Windows 8.1 Full, unless you just want to spend $80 more for an OS that's 3 years older.

• heocatheocat Member UncommonPosts: 178

I bought the D/L version of 8.1 full for 119. the nice thing here is you can d/l it to new computer as well just put the xp on long enough to sign on. you also have the option to make a disc when you d/l it.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Don't know about Windows 8, but Windows 7 OEM version installs on several computers just fine. Sometimes you'll need to do reactivation by their stupid phone activation system, but it can be moved from computer to computer. Done that several times.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    if you want Windows, and you want a version that is good for gaming, online or otherwise, then you need to get Windows 7/64 bit, forget windows 8, it really doesnt improve on anything and if anything, it is less compatible with various online games anyway. Not to mention it is something of a hindrance for future upgrades, particularly if you have a newer Mobo. Windows 7/64 bit is not only easier to use, but it is easier to protect online, one of the biggest downsides to Windows 8, is that it doesnt even launch your Firewalls/Antivirus until you boot into the desktop mode. And also, if your going to use none microsoft, software, browsers etc, then you really are better off with 7 and not 8, i tried using 8 for about 6 or 7 months, and that was only because it took me that long to save up enough to buy a decent version of 7. I got 8 when it first came out, as a cheap upgrade from XP, it was horribad, i even went back to using XP for a month before i got a win7/64. image

You know, Windows 7 really would be the preferred upgrade here, but it costs more, Microsoft really might decide to not put DX11.1 in Win 7 and it's three years older, which means it's going to end of life sooner than Win 8. There's no functional reason to go with Windows 8, but Microsoft obviously wants people buying their new stuff and their policies around that plan are the things that worry me.

Meh. It's not like I'm going to spend any time on the machine outside of gaming though. As long as the stuff runs, and the marginal benefits of going with Windows 8 over Windows XP are better, that's probably what I'll purchase.

On a side note, I kind of hate Microsoft. I'm glad Bill Gates is eradicating some disease world wide and all, but Microsoft still kind of sucks.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by lizardbones

You know, Windows 7 really would be the preferred upgrade here, but it costs more, Microsoft really might decide to not put DX11.1 in Win 7 and it's three years older, which means it's going to end of life sooner than Win 8. There's no functional reason to go with Windows 8, but Microsoft obviously wants people buying their new stuff and their policies around that plan are the things that worry me.

Meh. It's not like I'm going to spend any time on the machine outside of gaming though. As long as the stuff runs, and the marginal benefits of going with Windows 8 over Windows XP are better, that's probably what I'll purchase.

On a side note, I kind of hate Microsoft. I'm glad Bill Gates is eradicating some disease world wide and all, but Microsoft still kind of sucks.

The differences in the versions of Directx between Win7 and Win8 are very minimal, nothing uses it afaik, and it may be that it will never be utilised, or perhaps some time in the future it will, but we could see another 2 versions of windows released between now and then. But if, as seems likely, we see more development in terms of games, that don't use any version of directx, it may well become a totally irrelevant issue, Mantle for PC - already supported by Xbone and PS4 by all accounts, could change things in a huge way anyway, directx will anyone really miss it?image

quick add, in terms of price, Windows 7/64 bit is marginally cheaper than Windows 8/64 bit, if your seeing 8 as being cheaper, its probably the 32 bit version, which should be avoided like the plague! image

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

If you are in a programming focused school there is something called Dreamspark that Microsoft offers. In it you can get most of Microsoft's offerings depending on your schools relation with Microsoft. Mine offers all Windows OS since XP, Visual Studio 2005-2013, a bunch of SDKs like the Kinect SDK, SQL Server, and for some reason Streets and Maps.

I would opt for Windows 8.1 64-bit Professional. There is really no difference in how you can use Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 after you modify it a little. Once you get past the user interface changes, Windows 8.1 kernel is simply better.

I'm actually in the Social Science program, so there won't be anything beyond this intro to MS Office 2013, which won't install on XP. I do use Visual Studio at work, so using it at work, and then more hours of it in school would just be too much :-)

I will need to upgrade anyway by April, so I may as well get it out of the way now.

Now, I have found copies of Windows 7 online for about the same price at what I can get Windows 8 for, but I'm not all that keen to buy from random sellers. Everything would probably go fine, but I'd rather buy from someone I could aim the FBI at if the copy turns out to be fake or something.

Originally posted by tom_gore
    Don't know about Windows 8, but Windows 7 OEM version installs on several computers just fine. Sometimes you'll need to do reactivation by their stupid phone activation system, but it can be moved from computer to computer. Done that several times.

It's possible, but it's a violation of the license which is technically illegal, and that is why no one is advising it (out loud).

Originally posted by Phry
    quick add, in terms of price, Windows 7/64 bit is marginally cheaper than Windows 8/64 bit, if your seeing 8 as being cheaper, its probably the 32 bit version, which should be avoided like the plague!

You may be able to find some retailers that are just trying to clear their shelves that have it on sale for a short period of time, but by and large Microsoft sets the price and vendors follow it fairly closely. MSFT does not adjust the price based on 32/64 bit, and MSFT's pricing does have Win7 costing more than Win8 - intentionally to "suggest" that people who are buying a new OS should get Windows 8 over Windows 7.

Any retailer selling it for much less than the MSFT-set MSRP is probably losing money and figures that's better than having some product stuck on their shelves. Or they are doing something shady...

As far as gaming goes, Win7/Win8 are virtually identical.

Even as far as UI goes - a small third-party free download and even then your back at parity and can ignore Metro all you want.

Really, there aren't many reasons to get Win7 over Win8. If you want to be a purist and argue you shouldn't need a third party download for the UI - I agree, but it's not like you have to hack the OS to make it usable, you just install a program, and you're going to have many, many third-party programs installed anyway

There's also a rumor floating around that Windows 9 will be out as soon as this fall well... given that MSFT wants to move to a shorter development/release cycle similar to OS X and most of the major Linux distros.