Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE changes Gold membership plan

aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

basically, you will no longer rec'v your 500SC a month. instead you will get a coupon to purchase ONE item worth up to 2000SC. and oh ya, don't forget the restrictions: no bundles, etc.

personally, it's a clear move to rid themselves of subscribers. it is financially more feasible to goto Walmart get their 2000SC/15$ card and go from there.

i suspect this answers an earlier question i raised on the forums concerning payment models and EQN/L: they don't want your sub, because they are counting on you paying more for shop items.

and as i mentioned in an even earlier post: Here comes the nickled and dimed. once they remove the sub the customer has only two options buy what SOE requires or pressures; or they can find another game.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by aspekx

basically, you will no longer rec'v your 500SC a month. instead you will get a coupon to purchase ONE item worth up to 2000SC. and oh ya, don't forget the restrictions: no bundles, etc.

personally, it's a clear move to rid themselves of subscribers. it is financially more feasible to goto Walmart get their 2000SC/15$ card and go from there.

i suspect this answers an earlier question i raised on the forums concerning payment models and EQN/L: they don't want your sub, because they are counting on you paying more for shop items.

and as i mentioned in an even earlier post: Here comes the nickled and dimed. once they remove the sub the customer has only two options buy what SOE requires or pressures; or they can find another game.

I think it has more to do with the 500sc being of less and less value as the stable of games grow wider and the sub games in the list have disappeared. 

When it was a handful of sub games, it was easy to do the 500sc for each game, but how do you manage that with F2P? With the Station Pass? With subs, the measure of whether a person was to be considered a subscriber each month was the monthly payment. What is the most fair way to decide that now? If someone logs in x hours in a game for the month? You don't think that a LOT of people would do that across 4 or 5 games in order to rack up 2k or more sc for their favorite one?

Seems pretty reasonable the way they are resolving this, and it's a solution that is loooong overdue.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I think it has more to do with the 500sc being of less and less value as the stable of games grow wider and the sub games in the list have disappeared. 

When it was a handful of sub games, it was easy to do the 500sc for each game, but how do you manage that with F2P? With the Station Pass? With subs, the measure of whether a person was to be considered a subscriber each month was the monthly payment. What is the most fair way to decide that now? If someone logs in x hours in a game for the month? You don't think that a LOT of people would do that across 4 or 5 games in order to rack up 2k or more sc for their favorite one?

Seems pretty reasonable the way they are resolving this, and it's a solution that is loooong overdue.

i'm sorry i'm a bit uncertain what you are trying to say. i can be a bit slow at times, so be patient :)

if i do understand you, you are saying this is because someone could have multiple accounts to save up SC and abuse the system. the problem is that in order to get that SC you'd have to be paying 15USD per account in order to get that 500SC.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Here's an EQ2Wire post just for reference: http://eq2wire.com/2014/01/02/all-access-pass-members-to-get-rewards-instead-of-free-stationcash/

The change doesn't benefit me at all so I canceled my subscription. I would rather just buy SC cards at Walmart or SC from SoE directly at this point. I don't care about an AA slider, the broker, or anything else like that, at least not for $15 monthly. Those don't really justify a monthly fee for me.

agree - i also canceled my sub

I do like the AA slider but I'll adjust

i'm sorry i'm a bit uncertain what you are trying to say. i can be a bit slow at times, so be patient :)

if i do understand you, you are saying this is because someone could have multiple accounts to save up SC and abuse the system. the problem is that in order to get that SC you'd have to be paying 15USD per account in order to get that 500SC.

Station Pass.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Station Pass.

your StationPass does not give you 500SC per game, just 500SC to your StationPass account.

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315

This is right from the email notification:

"

For EverQuest, EverQuest II, and PlanetSide 2: A new benefit allowing you to select one single item valued up to 2000 SC each month in each of the qualifying games -- EverQuest, EverQuest II and PlanetSide 2. Nearly all items within the games’ Marketplace will be available for this selection. Player Studio items, bundles and additional exclusions may apply. This new benefit must be claimed each month that you are a member as it will not carry over to subsequent months.
    For DCUO: A similar benefit that grants a form of in-game currency called Loyalty Points. Each month you will be granted 500 Loyalty Points (worth $5 USD) that you will be able to use at a special Loyalty Vendor to purchase Marketplace items. Your Loyalty Points will stack – meaning you can save up Loyalty Points in order to make larger purchases – but you must log into the game at least one time each month in order to collect them. DLC packs will not be purchasable with Loyalty Points.

"

So it looks like the only thing that is changing is instead of getting 500 SC every month now you get 2000 SC every month.  With the catch that you can only use it on one item.

This is also the only change they are making so the other benifits of subscribing are still there. 

I guess the whole thing comes down to is $20 a month to spend worth the same as waiting 4 months to build up to the same $20.  Oh and if you have All-Access you potentially have up to $60 a month to spend ($20 a time in each game).  Before you only got 500 SC to use between all your games.

This is not a deal breaker for me.  But it also will depend heavily on what is offered in the marketplace.

Originally posted by Kyllien

"

For EverQuest, EverQuest II, and PlanetSide 2: A new benefit allowing you to select one single item valued up to 2000 SC each month in each of the qualifying games -- EverQuest, EverQuest II and PlanetSide 2. Nearly all items within the games’ Marketplace will be available for this selection. Player Studio items, bundles and additional exclusions may apply. This new benefit must be claimed each month that you are a member as it will not carry over to subsequent months.
    For DCUO: A similar benefit that grants a form of in-game currency called Loyalty Points. Each month you will be granted 500 Loyalty Points (worth $5 USD) that you will be able to use at a special Loyalty Vendor to purchase Marketplace items. Your Loyalty Points will stack – meaning you can save up Loyalty Points in order to make larger purchases – but you must log into the game at least one time each month in order to collect them. DLC packs will not be purchasable with Loyalty Points.

"

So it looks like the only thing that is changing is instead of getting 500 SC every month now you get 2000 SC every month.  With the catch that you can only use it on one item.

This is also the only change they are making so the other benifits of subscribing are still there. 

I guess the whole thing comes down to is $20 a month to spend worth the same as waiting 4 months to build up to the same $20.  Oh and if you have All-Access you potentially have up to $60 a month to spend ($20 a time in each game).  Before you only got 500 SC to use between all your games.

This is not a deal breaker for me.  But it also will depend heavily on what is offered in the marketplace.

ihave been a StationPass member off and on for a number of years, i have never received any more than one deposit of 500SC to my main account. im still confused by what you and Lok are claiming is going on. perhaps ive been bugged all this time and didn't know it.

also, i think a lot of ppl agree with you on seeing what's offered and making a decision.

in the end however, i really do believe SOE no longer cares about subs longterm. so all these ppl cancelling are probably exactly what they were hoping for. cancel sub => pay more in end in a cash shop.

• RavenwolfieRavenwolfie Member Posts: 46

Well there is one use for this, assuming you can use the credits for your next month, you would only have to actually pay for your subscription every other month.

"

"

It's going to affect everyone differently. What this effectively does is move the free money away from the VIP access for the free titles, which is something they've been working toward with the recently added Wizardry Online and Dragon's Prophet. The value of this change is wholly dependent on which games you play. If you play one of the four games they are trying to push peopel tward with the free money, you're probably in good shape. If you play Free Realms, SWCWA, DP, WO or Vanguard this doesn't seem to be a step forward. 

Overall, the goal is to get people who are inactive or not playing various games to log into each game, and it seems it will effectively do so even if it's just for an hour or so to claim and play with their new toy. 

"

"

It's going to affect everyone differently. What this effectively does is move the free money away from the VIP access for the free titles, which is something they've been working toward with the recently added Wizardry Online and Dragon's Prophet. The value of this change is wholly dependent on which games you play. If you play one of the four games they are trying to push peopel tward with the free money, you're probably in good shape. If you play Free Realms, SWCWA, DP, WO or Vanguard this doesn't seem to be a step forward. 

Overall, the goal is to get people who are inactive or not playing various games to log into each game, and it seems it will effectively do so even if it's just for an hour or so to claim and play with their new toy. 

interesting hadn't thought of it that way.

as i said i do believe SOE is moving to get rid of subs altogether.

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315

Most likely what they are betting on is that you will underspend the new SC method. i.e. you buy something for less then the 2000 maximum.  Or you fail to buy anything that month. 

Or they are hoping that the 2000 SC will just be the tip of the iceberg of what you purchase in the cash shop.  We will have to wait and see if the cash shop adjusts to the new allotment.  Will we see bundles that sell for 2000 SC?

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

"

"

ihave been a StationPass member off and on for a number of years, i have never received any more than one deposit of 500SC to my main account. im still confused by what you and Lok are claiming is going on. perhaps ive been bugged all this time and didn't know it.

also, i think a lot of ppl agree with you on seeing what's offered and making a decision.

in the end however, i really do believe SOE no longer cares about subs longterm. so all these ppl cancelling are probably exactly what they were hoping for. cancel sub => pay more in end in a cash shop.

You are not bugged! It is 500SC per month. Where you spend it(which game) is up to you. The 2000sc seems much better. Usually when I bought a item it was a one time purchase. 2k Sc sounds much better than saving for months for that one item you really want!

on a final note for me:

i think SOE is like that really funny and cool uncle you knew when you were a little kid, only to grow up and find out he's a drunk.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    This is actually a buff to the gold plan for 95% of players.  Most things that people buy are mounts and prestige houses, and almost all of these are between 500 and 2000.  So you get a free mount or prestige home ever month instead of every 3 months.
  • GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Originally posted by Ravenwolfie

Well there is one use for this, assuming you can use the credits for your next month, you would only have to actually pay for your subscription every other month.

Nope, the email says the 2000 SC does not carry over to subsequent months.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

The 2x loyalty token reward for Gold members is also going away so that is even more of reason that the $15 isn't well spent imo. I would rather they do away with some of their restrictions (like master skills, and AA slider) or sell them as unlocks and make their sub more like Tera or Rift.

We are also excited that Gold Membership now includes:

• 15% More Coin
    • 10% More Mount Speed
    • Permanent Double Tokens
    • Past Expansion Items available for Loyalty tokens (coming the week of January 6th)

We appreciate our customers, especially our valued members, and therefore are excited to bring you this additional value.

Thank you for your continued support and we look forward to seeing you in game soon.

Best,

Sony Online Entertainment LLC

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    You are correct this again proves my ongoing point that sub games are far and away the best bang for the buck, so much in fact that developers that provide them are moving away from giving you anything for your sub other than just some automatic distribution of game currency. Maybe you get a little bit more if you automate the process rather then just buying it randomly.  But at the end of the day your 15 in a cash shop buys a fraction of what 15 a month in a sub game gets you.
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

"

"

Only 500 SC for the entire station pass?

I've stockpiled all the SC they give me each month for being a member, I don't use it at all across any of the games I currently have that use SC, however I do see this as a downgrade for all of the SoE games.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    if people just stopped buying formt eh shops for a couple of games then maybe they would go back to subs
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by Ravenwolfie

You can't use SC to buy a subscription, Kronos is the method to extend gaming time or to use your CC directly.

• trancefatetrancefate Member UncommonPosts: 146

This just caused me to cancel my Station Pass. I am a DIE HARD SOE fan and this coming month will be the first time my subscription to their services will have had a lapse since EQ1.

The reason? This is obvious maneuvering to give an illusory beneficial effect to their customer base while actually saving them selves ~$5 a month by screwing customers.

P.S. There isn't anything IN the PS2 cash store you can give me, I have ALL the unlocks and I like the way my vehicles look. Also WTF would I want from the EQ2 Cash store!? I already have seven years worth of purchased cosmetics and endgame raid gear?

TLDR: I used to keep my sub active to stockpile the 500 points no matter what. Now I have canceled and am questioning whether these tactics reveal deeper implications about the quality of your upcoming title.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I play only DCUO nowadays - and not even on Legendary at the moment - so I just followed the announcement as a curious bystander :)

As I see, the DCUO players on PC are mostly unaffected by this change, but of course only if every item will be available at the Loyalty vendor as well.

Players in EU will be even more unaffected, according to Radar:

https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/2014-pc-legendary-membership-benefits-update.184918/page-10#post-2215362

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Will we keep the already stockpiled amounts? Or are they taking that away too.
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Will we keep the already stockpiled amounts? Or are they taking that away too.

no, they made it very clear that what you have you own. it's yours and it's not going anywhere.

• snowman22snowman22 Member UncommonPosts: 54

why does no one ever do the math, for one toon, f2p and unlocking what you need will always be cheaper then buying game at launch price plus 3 months of subs, every time!

and you never feel the need to rush or play all the time to get your moneys worth