Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar lagging behind other MMOs.

AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

No, not their graphics style.

Apparently their naming system will only consist of a first name. One word. No spaces. No last name.

This outdated system is just going to annoy players and cause problems in the long run. Making names a jumbled mess.

Comments

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I'm not a fan of last names.  In fact, i hate them with a passion along with spaces and numbers.

Now, if last names were just an option, then i'd be fine with them.  More options are always a good thing.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by AzurePrower No, not their graphics style. Apparently their naming system will only consist of a first name. One word. No spaces. No last name. This outdated system is just going to annoy players and cause problems in the long run. Making names a jumbled mess.
    other than EVE I don't know any MMOS where this isn't the case. cant you compose your name out of two names like Jonsmith ?

or add another X at the end of "sephilas"

You don't play many MMOs do you? There are plenty of them.

One well known example is Guild Wars 1 and 2. It has had a multiple word naming system for many years.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

Apparently their naming system will only consist of a first name. One word. No spaces. No last name.

This outdated system is just going to annoy players and cause problems in the long run. Making names a jumbled mess.

other than EVE I don't know any MMOS where this isn't the case. cant you compose your name out of two names like Jonsmith ?

or add another X at the end of "sephilas"

I believe that both EQ and i believe EQ2 allow surnames at later levels, I know TSW does, and SWTOR has that legacy system which lets you put your families name after yours which acts as a last name (this is optional though and you can make it like a company name to and put it over top your name)

A few games do this, it will probably be an annoyance to some but it's not a big deal to me. I'd like one at some point but don't really need it to enjoy the game.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• MiserySignalMiserySignal Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I've played a ton of MMOs with limited name choices and it has never been the factor that made them lag behind other MMOs. This is really a stupid reason. If you would've said '' the lack of character customization'' I could've agreed...but no.
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    i thought wildstar was using playerhandles?
  • ReaperJodaReaperJoda Member UncommonPosts: 76
    ...this is awesome WOW2.0.....oh wait this aint WOW2.0???
  • itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

I am confused about what exactly you're trying to complain about here. It looks like you are complaining about the fact that we can't use two names in WildStar (First Name & Surname). While I do like this feature, I also do not like it, because it DOES add a bunch of random, jumbled, nonsense names to the game. 

Then you mention that you do not like a jumbled mess in the naming system. So, essentially, you are contradicting yourself here.

Instead of having a name like "Azure", there will be 500 people named Azure Ski/Sky/Ske/Skai/etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. Thats only 1 common name. 

I think what you were attempting to complain about, is the resolution to the issue you were ultimately complaining about. Thus, when you play WildStar, you will not have to worry about jumbled up names, a trainwreck disaster of 10000 people trying to take the same name, but then changing a letter in the first or last name. I'd rather see 3 people try to misspell Azure as their name, than 500 people try different spelling variations of Azure /somerandomlastnamehere/.

• JudgeMarekJudgeMarek Member Posts: 3

Just to add Tera, and FFXIV:ARR to the list of MMO's that innately allow you to put spaces and multiple capital letters in a name, giving the appearance of a last name.

I am greatly looking forward to Wildstar, regaurdless of it's naming restrictions, however, the more complex the naming system, the better. In general, the more options you have, the more possibilities you gain for customers to choose from. Which in turn leads to a larger, happier population. So why shut out a portion of your audience, for an hour's worth of coding?

This is probably the wrong place to even state that, but w/e.

Happy hunting.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I'm not to worried about that too much. Multiple names like TSW is very good imho.  What I would like is a name filter somewhat like LoTRO has. Something that keeps people from making names that completely ruin realism. (well as much as there can be for this type of game).

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

What a totally pointless post, seems to me the OP doesn't actually know what he/she is complaining about.

Add lotro to the list.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    I'm not to worried about that too much. Multiple names like TSW is very good imho.  What I would like is a name filter somewhat like LoTRO has. Something that keeps people from making names that completely ruin realism. (well as much as there can be for this type of game).

Especially on lotro RP server Laurelin, make a pathetic name on their and you will log in one day to find your name gone.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by UtukuMoon
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Especially on lotro RP server Laurelin, make a pathetic name on their and you will log in one day to find your name gone.

Ya, the players there don't mess around. LoTRO has the best player base of any mmo imho.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• SchnizitSchnizit Member Posts: 25
    Seriously?  Does it really matter? Of all the things to complain about I can't say I saw this one coming.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Schnizit
    Seriously?  Does it really matter? Of all the things to complain about I can't say I saw this one coming.

Have to agree. This is some serious nit-picking from the bottom of the barrel of things that matter at all...

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

I actually dislike it when a game is forcing you to choose a name and surname.

If you grew accustomed to have a nickname that you carry with you (on the internet) for a long time and you suddenly need to think of a surname...

I don't mind if it's optional though but saying that this is the reason Wildstar is lagging behind? I don't agree at all.