Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Neverwinter: Is Neverwinter Really an MMO?

13»

Comments

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Massively check, Multiplayer check, Online check, Rpg check. Neverwinter is as much a mmorpg as many other top games here, and atleast it is actually a rpg.
  • MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106
    Originally posted by Vasel
    The only thing resembling a MMO is the fact you have  some levels and there are quests. ITs a linear theme park designed to empty your pockets.

Sadly, I feel like this is the mass majority of MMO's anymore.  The genre is in a dire state, I think.  That, or it has transformed so much that we shouldn't even be calling it "MMORPG" anymore.  Online Game suits a lot of games anymore.

Linear anything is rather dull, even first person shooters.  I feel like people are aware of this though.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162
    It's a fun game until you reach max level.
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Not a MMO and imho it should be removed from this site.
  • dragnmastralexdragnmastralex Member UncommonPosts: 29

its a game by gold farmers for gold farmers.

they randomly delete your items and game currency forcing you to start over or buy more, they allow people to spam their gold farming websites without penalty, they promote exploiters and hackers, they overcharge for everything int he cash shop, and they never fix anything broken.

PWE is the worst gaming company in existance because to them its all about the money not about the quality of the game. Proof is in the pudding Neverwinter was a game released only 12% finished.  there are still 14 more zones, 9 more dugneons, 8 more classes and 5 more races that are NOT in the game yet they planned it to be a "module" like expansion which should have been in the game from release to be like the 4E version of DnD board game.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by kjempff
    Massively check, Multiplayer check, Online check, Rpg check. Neverwinter is as much a mmorpg as many other top games here, and atleast it is actually a rpg.

Seems that you and some others don't understand how the english language works.  When you put ly at the end of a word, you are describing another word, not taking it as a separate adjective or properly.  You can't separate massively and multiplayer, the concept of the mmo is that it's a massively multiplayer game.   

And traditionally, and the only reason it has a genre at all is due to tradition, it specifically meant a massive amount of players sharing the same adventure space.  Not lobby space, not chat room, adventure space.

If you want to water it down, then we should just stop using the term altogether, because it's meaningless when online rpg  would work in it's place.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

It's an MMO but it's an ultra linear themepark mmo but make no mistake it's part of the MMO family. 

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by DMKano

Its a MMO for sure - the issue is that players never look at it from *server/hosting perspective* once you consider that it is trivial to discern what is a MMO and what isn't.

Does it have a large number of servers in a datacenter?

Does the game network and server infrastructure support millions of concurrent client connections?

Are there centralized auth and account services?

Does it have large centralized database systems for player data including transactional history for each player?

Is there a CS team capable of handling billing and player transaction issues (deleted items, lost passwords, etc...)

If the game in question has yes for the above - its most likely an MMO.

Only considering the client - you miss the most important piece of the MMO - the data center infrastructure needed to support millions of concurrent client connections.

Example of a game that is NOT an MMO:

Cubeworld is not an MMO - as you fire the server up yourself (or connect to other user servers) - no centralized auth service, no centralized databases with transactional history (you lose an inventory item it's gone) no CS to help.

And yet we do not call Spore, Dark Souls, or Dragon's Dogma an MMO even though all three use such backend architecture to augment their player experience.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

If you held every other game to the same scrutiny as Neverwinter for only having shared leveling zones, dungeon instances and city hubs, then that pretty much disqualifies most of the MMOs on the list you have.

Your entire site would be about a mere handful of games, most pre-dating 2005.  

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

This is one of those half full or half empty glass questions.

Any online game that uses multiple instances within a zone is not an MMO.

Neverwinter was originally designed as a OMG (Online Multiplayer Game) in an interview with whoever is the head dev or the big wig at Craptic.  They slapped on "MMO" simply for marketing purposes when they really didn't do anything to add MMO mechanics besides some PvP.

• WhitetreeWhitetree Member Posts: 76

I've been looking at Neverwinter for a while, wondering if it would be worth my time to play. Unfortunately, this model of "lobby/arena" is the kind of game that I rarely enjoy. Still, I may give it a shot sometime.

I'd also like to add that in all the years I've been on this site (before the release of Horizons [cringe]), I have never read an article I enjoyed more. Keep up the good work, Mr. Coke. I look forward to more of your work.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards. -Lois McMaster Bujold

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just. -Abraham Lincoln

• maxcancermaxcancer Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Is not a MMO, there are not an Open World, just zones wth tot ppl, like a multyplayer game
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by furbans

Any online game that uses multiple instances within a zone is not an MMO.

Again this pretty much means nearly every game on this site that is listed as a MMO, is not actually a MMO.

That leaves you with what... Vanguard, DFUW, Wushu and a bunch of games released before 2005.

Neverwinter has open world areas, including adventure areas, which are shared with people not in your party / group. That makes it a MMO.  If you prefer non-instanced games or games with no zones, that's fine - but that isn't a criteria for being a MMO.  Otherwise this site may as well shut down because most of the games on here and coming out in the future are not MMOs.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Sad thing is...it isnt DnD at all. Where is the dice rolls? Saving throws?

It is a WoW reskin game. Pathetic excuse for DnD. Also dungeons are just stupid, you dont need a proper group and can still finish it (bar higher ends).

DDO did better with their dungeon.
  • XerathuleXerathule Member UncommonPosts: 114
    It is very simple!  If the game has thousands of people playing together at the same time then it is a MMO!  Period!!!!  MMORPG is something different, and Neverwinter is just a bad version of previous RPG games and that is all.  The problem we have today is that nobody is sticking to the traditional RPG masterpieces that have preceeded the terrible games of today!
  • MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289
    For me the definition of mmo will always be more than 1000 players existing in a single instance of a game world.
  • IDontThinkSoNoIDontThinkSoNo Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Originally posted by UnitAkira
    Originally posted by IDontThinkSoNo

People spamming gold farming in chat.

Forced group content.

Broken English players.

Nerd raging guilds that require VoIP.

Yep, MMO.

Broken English players_? Nice, how about you try to play a game where it's not your mother tongue being spoken_,  at least they make an effort to speak .. sounds like you are the leader of one of these nerd raging guilds and one of those who go after the typos people make in chat too_.. but that a side yeah it has the annoying mmo aspects like gold spammers, forced group content, limited character development, and an open world replaced by open dungeon .

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

No Real World ; No Real Quality , limited Gameplay , no exploration. Charachter Development is so linear it's untrue.  It's a poorly designed charade , shame one of my Favourite IPs is being used for all the wrong reasons.

NWN has more about it than this .... Talk about 50 steps back, so so sad.

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Even if a game is 100% instances with no requirement to see another player the entire time you play the game it can still be an mmo as long as there is the option to play with others online even if the party size is only made of two players. Honestly I'm usually more interested in pve instances and the occasional large 20+ player raids, but only if I feel like it.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by freegames
    Even if a game is 100% instances with no requirement to see another player the entire time you play the game it can still be an mmo as long as there is the option to play with others online even if the party size is only made of two players. Honestly I'm usually more interested in pve instances and the occasional large 20+ player raids, but only if I feel like it.

So would you consider Call of Duty or Battlefield an MMO?

• pdq2004pdq2004 Member UncommonPosts: 37

Oh please. GW2 does not have all of it's missions start from a central city. Not even close. You are sadly mistaken and unaware.