Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard want Photo ID...???

Hey All,

My wife tried to log in to her account from her friends computer and the Blizzard alarms went off and "Locked" her account.

So we didn't think it was that big a deal, after all, it was a iMac her friend has, hehe. But when we created a ticket with customer support, they insisted that a copy of "photo ID" be included in a text file along with all of her information regarding the WOW account including her secret answer, to a question she never chose.

An instant red flag went up my spine and so I wrote back to the support rep asking, "Why they needed photo ID, when they have nothing to compare it to? And that she won't be providing photo ID, due to the fact that it contains far more information than a simple name and address and DOB. Which could be used to steal someone's identity and destroy their lives."

So I just sent what I would normally send, like name address and DOB, plus server, character names, guild etc. 

We didn't receive a reply for 4 days, so I wrote a new ticket asking about the first ticket, but added, " I really can't see why you would request documentation that is national and international, (because Passport, was one of their prerequisites) and can be used to do so much damage to someone's life. I thought it was a breach of privacy, because although Blizzard are a huge company and God forbid they would do anything untoward with the information, but they are a private company and I simply don't feel safe giving them that info. The only reason I could think of that they would be able to verify someone's photo ID, was by breaching that persons privacy yet again, by using a social network, like Facebook."

Needless to say, I got a reply very fast, but the support rep was in damage control mode. The support emails were addressed as "no-reply+ and he said that they hadn't received the text files, but that he had sent a instant password reset link, which I used, and bingo, her account was unlocked.

The kicker is, He said he never received any information about her account...!!! So why the instant access...???

Hmmmm.

Helltrager.

Never Expect and Never Oblige...!!!

Comments

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    GM and support corruption isn't a new thing and if you are writing the truth then that's what it reads like you are dealing with. Some of the stories (even here on these forums) out of EQ are legendary. Bad thing is you have few means of actually reporting these folks or getting them caught. My brother got hit  with something like this himself a few months ago. He has encountered all kinds of fishiness with WOW.  In one case he had deleted a character a year ago when he stopped playing and when logging back in after his long absence found it had been restored a few weeks after he quit for some one to quietly use for farming on his "inactive account..."  Think about that one a moment. Honestly I am not sure what you can do about if she continues to be targeted like my bro aside from quitting and moving on.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

For what it is worth, since I do not have an "active" account that I have logged into for some years, ALL Blizzard correspondence goes into my trash. I realize that is not possible with an active account, but I get Blizzard "support" e-mails 3-4 times a month.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• NomadRedNomadRed Member Posts: 13

Yeah I agree, and sorry to hear about your brother's account. But internal corruption wasn't the only thing on my mind. I read an article about a certain clandestine organisation that seem to have gone off the reservation in the last few years, monitoring the chat channels in WOW for possible terrorist activities. I can see photo ID being a rather big help in that case.

However and regardless, we have put Blizzard on our permanent blacklist from now on.

Oh and just in case anyone is wondering, Hearthstone is completely rubbish, I played it for 4 weeks and it's the most un-strategic card game I've ever played. It's like the TCG's version of Snap. It really is like a kids game, or worthy only of tablet app status.

Peace Out, Gamers.

Helltrager.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

Every gaming company, every company of any kind out there is keen to get as much data on you as possible. Blizzard has a history of this, in the past they wanted to like forum account names and online names. That's not even unusual, they are all at it.

So the next time time you are asked for more information over the internet it is likely down to two reasons. The company trying to get details or a scam. Unless you are Philip Jennings I really don't think the NSA is going to have much interest in you. :)

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Asking photo IDs is not really that suspicious: After all, in most of the countries around the world it's still the only official way to determine one's identity.

I live in a country where you need a photo ID for proving that you're over 18 when you buy beer. Australia probably has some other means for proving your identity besides using your ID since you're so hesitant to show your ID to private businesses?

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Blizzards account handling is ridiculously brutal, especially having it locked when you log on from a different computer. Requiring an ID for that is ridiculous, all that should be enough is email confirmation or secret question at most. 
  • bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    I have for 8 years 2 accounts in WOW and never had a single problem. I logged from multiple computers and from different locations. But maybe you replayed on some of this fake emails and somebody has your  password. Everything what they do is to protect your account and i can't see any problem with ID. Maybe you did  something what is against the law
  • DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Originally posted by Vrika

Asking photo IDs is not really that suspicious: After all, in most of the countries around the world it's still the only official way to determine one's identity.

I live in a country where you need a photo ID for proving that you're over 18 when you buy beer. Australia probably has some other means for proving your identity besides using your ID since you're so hesitant to show your ID to private businesses?

It is very suspicious.  Asking for someone to send a copy of an ID via email is a lot different than flashing it for a second in a store.  

The one sent via email is now a permanent copy that has every detail of how your ID looks, which can therefore be copied over and over and sent to who knows where.  

The one you show in the store only comes out for a second and then goes right back into your wallet.  The information a person gleaned from that quick glance would have to be stored in their memory and can't just be scanned on a copy machine to make a fake ID.  

Not only that but there is no way for you to trace who the actual person is that you sent your ID to via email.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I haven't played wow in 4 or 5 years but that was pretty standard for hacked accounts back then. I think the reason they want it is if it ever gets hacked again, a photo ID on record would make it impossible to give it back to the wrong person, or if that account got sold the buyer would be SOL.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The same thing has to be done with Square Enix as well, i did it but did not like it.Oh the same thing with the text file however they wanted several ID which could not be put on one file and remain legible,just another way to get multiple files lost at their end and cause more problems.

FACT anything you send on the net can be hacked and many photos are shared with Google and Yahoo ect ect and shared with a national data base.

You should tell them to call you on your provided  phone number ,that is all the proof they need.

I do understand the safety net,they don't want the thieves stealing your accounts.

There is a bright side to it,they flagged your account immediately when a different source was used,Sqaure Enix does not do that and i gave therm shit for being so lazy.You should also mention to Blizzard they should have a feature to login from a different source as long as you enter the new source from your main.Simple reason is you should remind them that is going to happen EVERY single time you login from a different source and that is bull shit.

Matter fact confront support with that very question,if you have to provide photo ID every time you login from a different source you are deleting your accounts and never supporting Blizzard ever again,that is what i would do.It is just virtual code,means nothing to your life,tons of games and devs out there.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Helltrager

Yeah I agree, and sorry to hear about your brother's account. But internal corruption wasn't the only thing on my mind. I read an article about a certain clandestine organisation that seem to have gone off the reservation in the last few years, monitoring the chat channels in WOW for possible terrorist activities. I can see photo ID being a rather big help in that case.

However and regardless, we have put Blizzard on our permanent blacklist from now on.

Oh and just in case anyone is wondering, Hearthstone is completely rubbish, I played it for 4 weeks and it's the most un-strategic card game I've ever played. It's like the TCG's version of Snap. It really is like a kids game, or worthy only of tablet app status.

Peace Out, Gamers.

Helltrager.

i hate to say this, but if the NSA wanted your passport info, they wouldn't ask you for it, nor would they have to do so. the kind of access they have obtained in the last decade is criminal, but it also allows them to check IDs w/o permission.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• YuujakumiYuujakumi Member Posts: 11

It is an old trick from when WoW first came out. (I'm sure it happened in other games as well).  They wanted the photo ID so they could sell the account and not have problem with the buyer (usually a site that sells gold/accts).  

Tho I do no see much use in selling accounts now.   Use to be you could get anywhere from 100 to 3000 depending on a good account.  Now it is just to easy to make an account for cheap and there isn't much left to the game everything is handed out.

Anyway i'd reset all PW's and scan your computer for viruses.

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Originally posted by Vrika

Well if you have no problem sending your photo ID over the net to some complete stranger....then feel free to send me your Credit Card and bank number  so I can verify them...I'm trustworthy.image

Seriously tho, most countries, yes you need ID for most everything. But to send it online...as someone else stated...is giving permission to copy and give out your ID.  Your ID is not like a Credit Card that can be easily monitored where or when it was used.  Called ID theft and it's pretty hard to trace.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

That was obviously bullshit. Sending a photo id with e-mail is useless to prove identity. Like the OP said, the customer service has nothing to compare it with. Which is the whole point of showing a photo id.

Even if a company would accept this as identification, immediately contact someone higher up in the foodchain of that company, so you can explain how this can easily lead to fraud. You should never hand out a copy of your photo id to a private company to begin with. I don't know if there are countries where this is normal practice, but I bet you will have a lot of identity theft in those countries too.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Anyone else think the OP is lying? At first I kinda believed it but the OPs second post made me realize this was just a veiled attempt at bashing Blizzard.

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Anyone else think the OP is lying? At first I kinda believed it but the OPs second post made me realize this was just a veiled attempt at bashing Blizzard.

The same thing went through my head after I read his second post.  It seems like a possible scenario at first, but the second post just sounds like someone with a grudge or just straight up hatin',

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Deadlyne
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

The same thing went through my head after I read his second post.  It seems like a possible scenario at first, but the second post just sounds like someone with a grudge or just straight up hatin',

Unfortunately, some people are so sad they have nothing better to do than come up with elaborate ways to hate on games they don't like.

• NomadRedNomadRed Member Posts: 13

It did happen exactly as I said, but I do hold a grudge against them as well, I was really enjoying WOW and it kills me that I'm not going to play the next expansion. But the idea that Blizzard are rounding up photo ID's and possibly spying on social networks, was enough for me to call it quits. I've been playing since vanilla, and I was just about to buy the D3 expansion, so it has been a tough call. 

It's just a game, but the security is more paranoid than my bank. You have to draw a line in the sand at some point. They were completely dishonest about it as well. I mean he gave me an instant password reset even though he claimed they never got our account info

Except for Hearthstone, I loved WOW and Diablo 3.

I'm sticking to consoles from now on. Turn my PC's into Linux machines.

I think the whole video game security paranoia has gone too far. I can't even make contact with a human on EA'a support site. If anyone knows a direct email, I'd really appreciate it.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Vaya Con Dios, Hermano's

Helltrager.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

Originally posted by Helltrager It did happen exactly as I said, but I do hold a grudge against them as well, I was really enjoying WOW and it kills me that I'm not going to play the next expansion. But the idea that Blizzard are rounding up photo ID's and possibly spying on social networks, was enough for me to call it quits. I've been playing since vanilla, and I was just about to buy the D3 expansion, so it has been a tough call.  It's just a game, but the security is more paranoid than my bank. You have to draw a line in the sand at some point. They were completely dishonest about it as well. I mean he gave me an instant password reset even though he claimed they never got our account info

What?

When Blizzard requests a PhotoID it's over account issues, and issues you will call them on the phone to settle, where they will direct you to who/where to send it (red flag here is you didn't). Most players will not need to go through any of those hassles, as they took measures to secure their account (from using an authenticator and setting the correct account settings -- you do know you can call Blizzard and put in your file the IPs you can connect with, right? Like that work computer, so they don't flag it as an hacking attempt???)

An example of the process is vividly shown here (and he's a special case as a live streamer, and one who isn't using all the account security measures to stream):

When it comes to your account with WoW you talk with a Blizxard CS directly. Account stuff you don't settle online due to all the tomfoolery that can occur (they can handle all that stuff in real time, so it can be finished with one call).

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Helltrager

I just sent what I would normally send, like name address and DOB, plus server, character names, guild etc. 

We didn't receive a reply for 4 days, so I wrote a new ticket asking about the first ticket, but added, " I really can't see why you would request documentation that is national and international, (because Passport, was one of their prerequisites) and can be used to do so much damage to someone's life. I thought it was a breach of privacy, because although Blizzard are a huge company and God forbid they would do anything untoward with the information, but they are a private company and I simply don't feel safe giving them that info. The only reason I could think of that they would be able to verify someone's photo ID, was by breaching that persons privacy yet again, by using a social network, like Facebook."

when I had account issues 6 years ago

I was required to fax Blizzard my drivers license as part of acct recovery

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

They do ask for ID in extreme situations.

When my account gets IP locked, or i need a password reset they offer me a few different routes.    I always choose to enter my original CD-KEY.

Ive never had to send them my ID.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by zevian

They do ask for ID in extreme situations.

When my account gets IP locked, or i need a password reset they offer me a few different routes.    I always choose to enter my original CD-KEY.

Ive never had to send them my ID.

regarding your only asking photo id in extreme situations - not true

if you dont have your original CD key, Blizzard wants a photo ID  -- or used to

(Blizzard is the only company that has ever asked for a photo id from me)

==============================

a compromised account includes something as simple as forgetting your password

if you havent played the game in a few years

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/recovering-a-compromised-battle-net-account

To recover your account, submit a ticket with your current form of identification. Accepted ID type(s):

Driver's License
        Military / State / Government Employee ID
        Passport
        Certificate of Birth/Adoption (Minors Only)

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I played Diablo 3 for a time. Looked at my Blizzard account once and said my WoW account had been banned. Problem is, I have never played WoW. Activision Blizzard has one of the worst track records of having accounts compromised. I have chosen to stay away from them for good.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328

I have dealt with Blizzard customer support for similar issues in the past. From what I can tell, it sounds like they may have misunderstood the issue. When someone logs in from a different computer and/or location, it will usually lock your account automatically as a safety net against hackers. This is not a serious issue, and you could have unlocked it from the website yourself without having to e-mail them and receive a link in return. On the other hand, if they believe the account to have been hacked/sold/traded etc. and look into it manually, they will hard lock the account and require you to prove your identity before unlocking it.

Most of the time, it's just a soft lock and you can unlock it yourself from their website. Just go login, and then click "I can't access my account."

• Chances are good they do have some first + last name on file for the account and that's what they need the ID to compare it to.  I mean heck, I got my account through the recruit a friend thing, and the name they had on file for me was not my own name, but a nickname my friend entered in the recruit a friend request.

That being said use some common sense when sending IDs over the web, a water-mark of some type is usually a good idea. It's not flawless security, but photoshopping away a water mark would probably be more trouble then it's worth for a thief who'd be getting ID pictures in bulk. You usually can't be perfectly secure, but you can take steps to not make yourself the easiest target on the net.

PS. Thinking it's a government conspiracy is a little bit silly.