Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO's failure predicted - your thoughts

NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Below is a link to a Forbes article predicting ESO's demise. Before polling and posting your thoughts read the article through. This was in another thread I read here, so I wanted to give people a simple yes or no poll to see where the population of gamers are on this matter. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/01/02/predicting-the-biggest-disaster-of-2014-the-elder-scrolls-online/

Comments

• FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159
    Define failure. Define to whom?
  • KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    I have to disagree mainly because, if I remember correctly, that article was mainly about console gamers like they're the only ones that exist anymore and they'll determine the fate of the game.  I'd risk my current savings on betting most TES players are actually PC gamers.  The guy's also basing his decision on the fact it'll be P2P rather than F2P or B2P which most MMO players on this forum seem to prefer the P2P model.
  • DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232

This looks like a situation where a moderator needs to come by and consolidate posts.  There are so many versions of this exact subject already, why not just post on an already existing one?

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

You know, I don't much particularly care anymore about what it means for these games to fail. All i know is I'm tired of playing the same damn game over and over and over again since i was a teenager.

I am tired of great ideas being converted into generic shit to spoon feed the masses.

EDIT:  Things NOT to say when you want people to believe what you're talking about

" even though I’m not normally a big PC MMO guy"

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Fappuccino

Did you read the article? The author covers your questions.

Originally posted by Deadlyne

This looks like a situation where a moderator needs to come by and consolidate posts.  There are so many versions of this exact subject already, why not just post on an already existing one?

I gave you my reason. I wanted to add a poll to see where people stand.

Originally posted by NobleNerd

Did you read the article? The author covers your questions.

From the previous thread it came across as if many people didn't and kept using the terms subjectively. So just to get it clear.

Failure to us players but success to the dev and publisher.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Name one recent MMO that DIDN'T fail? I can bet right now that any you list will have failed to someone.

IMO, it will fail like GW2 failed.

I'll be playing it though. :)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    There are 20 threads like this. This is starting to remind me of the BS that took place on this site with TSW. "If you say it enough it becomes true" slander campaigns.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DoushiDoushi Member UncommonPosts: 96
    He says on his article that he is not an PC MMO gamer,  and that he is an console player. all I see is a rant about the monthly sub.

mmorpg.com, the 4chan of mmo forums.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Failure , very simply put , for everyone to understand :

Commercial product failing to break even

Originally posted by bcbully
    There are 20 threads like this. This is starting to remind me of the BS that took place on this site with TSW. "If you say it enough it becomes true" slander campaigns.

Let me state it clearly... I am not trying to slander ESO. I am a fan of all that is Elderscrolls. My intent with this post is to have a simple poll with constructive comments based off someone elses "slander". I personally do not think ESO will fail. I have played all the betas and enjoyed seeing the progress of the game.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

That article reads as if it was written by someone here in MMORPG's forums. Take that however you want.

It sounds like the point he's making is that SWTOR was a "failure". Gamers seem to be redefining the term "failure" to now contain many levels of granularity.

Before we can determine if anything is a failure, we must understand what the intended goal was. If we do not, than we are only judging something from our own perspective; our own idea of what we think the goal was. Not a very objective approach to say the least.

So we're just left with the "guessing game" when it comes time to pass judgment on a game that isn't even live yet. I guess that's what we do around here.

So my guess? I might as well just use history as a lesson (history through my own eyes, naturally. No use trying to even make up stats or numbers to support any claims, right?). So... TESO will launch. Some will love it as the second coming, others will hate it and/or claim that "if only the devs had listened to me in beta, there would be *insert problem here*". Game rolls on, adjusts it's payment structures as needed and  coasts along for years to come.

Pretty much like every other MMO that is based on an existing IP.

But meanwhile, here we'll be... talking about how the next big MMO on the horizon will fail.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Meh, I dunno man. The failure of most every MMO is predicted on this site, or of many games on other sites.

I think its not really going to be a mega hit, but its not gonna be the titanic either. Its just going to be really popular during launch. Then it's popularity will taper off as the newness of it goes away.

But I feel like its going to retain a decent player base for a good while.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by aleos

EDIT:  Things NOT to say when you want people to believe what you're talking about

" even though I’m not normally a big PC MMO guy"

Hence why it's a totally biased view and worth diddly squat.

Apparently there are a lot of "Failed" MMO's currently in the market place right now, you all know the ones because they continually get dragged out of the cupboard to be paraded around as the complete and utter failures they are, by someone who has just been hacked off by whatever game they happen to have lurched to after losing interest in there favourite game.

Yet I still see those abject failures hosting active servers, with regular patches and shock horror even expansions, how dare they add more content to a failed game, don't they realise someone said on a forum that their game has failed?

With that in mind I'll give the author of the article the 2 fingered salute and tell him this, you wouldn't know a good MMO if it bit you on the arse.

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Failure , very simply put , for everyone to understand :

Commercial product failing to break even

Going by the objective definition the game will be a success.

Paul Tassi contended that because the game is launching as P2P that it is doomed because "the monthly subscription model is dead."

So it will fail to hold on the subscription numbers, going the same route as SWTOR and many before it.

Even if the game fails to hold a P2P status, opting to go F2P it might do a SWTOR and survive thanks to it, becoming profitable. 

Failure? Warhammer was a failure. That's my view of things. It shut down...how much more objective can one get whether a product failed or succeeded?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GillleanGilllean Member Posts: 169

I personaly  don't think game will fail. 

1. First of all from first preview many things changed !! also that Zenimax focused on immersion and exploration 
    2. ESO should be orientated mostly for The Elder Scroll fans than to MMO community trash.
    3. ESO will have 1 continent of NIRN FULL TAMRIELL  < if you don't know what this means you're opotion folks have 0 value to me!!
    4. I think that ESO will bring WORLD vs WORLD vs WORLD to a new level  much more better than in GW 2  where I spent a lot of time even if in GW2 it's a bit pointless Fact ! ESO improved this content look up for info I won't waste my time for whiny girls.
    5. LEAD LORE MASTER is GANDALF and he's a soccer real soccer !! Lawrence Schick and this guy have all TES lore to play with !! just imagine what he might bring into ESO!!!!
    6. Character development freedom and combinations. 
    7. Time ~ Worth in game achievement like becoming WvsWvsW Emperor with special armor set for them which will be very very very hard to achieve but worth the time.
    8. OLD TES fans like me will be able to explore MORROWIND MAP which I think was best of the series 
    9. Fully voiced NPC and from few I had opportunity to hear with great voice and accent. 
    Maybe from MMO point of view not is  all-inclusive still as a first MMO attempt it will be great plus there lore wise content expansion is HUUUUGE  Zenimax will be retarded if not use this opportunity 

Comparing ESO with SWTOR just proves that majority of gamers are stupid people who are easily influenced buy some corrupt youtube /social media    Reviews 
    When ESO will release and will break sales records. Remember me }: )
  • TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
    it's going to be a failure..sadly. This is going to be another Kamikazie  the IP for profit scenario. You already have the action packed , commercial videos with lots of Matrix moves, always a bad sign. It's going to be hyped to death and the majority of people are going to be disappointed.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by KyutaSyuko
    I have to disagree mainly because, if I remember correctly, that article was mainly about console gamers like they're the only ones that exist anymore and they'll determine the fate of the game.  I'd risk my current savings on betting most TES players are actually PC gamers.  The guy's also basing his decision on the fact it'll be P2P rather than F2P or B2P which most MMO players on this forum seem to prefer the P2P model.

TES series sold way more on consoles than it did on PC.  Skyrim alone was 86% of its sales on consoles with 14% on PC.

• SoulTrapOnSelfSoulTrapOnSelf Member Posts: 190
    It will fail in the long-term; initial sales will be a success just because of the IP; the end-game PvP won't cut it; the classes and lackluster PvE are not worth the monthly sub; just play the game and see for yourself; ready for my second warning of the year
  • BahzBahz Member UncommonPosts: 182
    The game seems fun to me, saw a couple of (recent) leaked gameplay movies, but I voted "yes" because of the subscription model.
  • SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301

What people don't understand that ESO's failure would have to mean it never launches. You don't kind of fail a test, you either do or do not. so if ESO launches, that's a success. Whether people play it is something totally misconstrued with the developing and launching of a mmorpg.

This discussion has been closed.