Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eyes on Wildstar...

Mikey_HazardMikey_Hazard Member Posts: 84

I’ve played a lot of MMOs over the last decade or so… Hell, before that I was playing MUDs.

Note: This is all just my own opinion; my views do not necessarily reflect anyone else’s opinion or even reality for that matter.

In the history of my MMO experience, a few games have piqued my interest, a few have even held me for a month or so, but only TWO have ever pulled me in for the long haul. Most of you will guess these two games before I even say them: Pre-NGE Star Wars: Galaxies and Vanilla World of Warcraft. I am perfectly aware that my nostalgia for these games may perfectly well be that I was younger and more easily enthralled with the experience of an online world, but I can’t help but think that a significant part of the reason MMOs that have been released since have been lackluster is because they are being made easier and are trying to accommodate as many people as possible… And sadly, the thing about gamers, especially MMO gamers… We are a fickle frakkin bunch. You can’t please us all… Don’t even try. In the MMO camp alone, you’ll find that Casuals, Hardcore players, PvP junkies, and Raiders are more divided than earnest political parties.

And I think in an attempt to please us all, we’ve been getting really sub-par games. PvP zones have been instanced off, many games have forgone PvP servers entirely. Raiding has been dumbed-down to 10-20 man max ordeals, entire worlds have been segmented into a series of menus which allow for inst-queuing and role solidification… Or worse, some games attempt to remove roles entirely leaving a clusterfunk of chaos and pointlessness in its wake. These and a million other reasons… But in summary, there is too much of an emphasis on making games super-accessible and so they quickly become boring.

Guild Wars 2 is a perfect example of this… Their manifesto was basically “Everything you hate about MMOs? We’re getting rid of it! This is an MMO for people who don’t like MMOs!” It was a great idea really, and I’m glad they did it… Someone had to try, and for many people GW2 is now a good place to call home. I got into like crazy for a little while until I realized that all those things that I THOUGHT I hated about MMOs were actually things that turned out to be essential to the lure of MMOs (for me) in the first place. Gear SHOULD matter (though it shouldn’t matter quite as much as it does in games like WoW), No matter how you dress up themepark questing, it’s still themepark questing, roles are IMPORTANT! Without them every dungeon just feels like a button-smashing/dodging extravaganza… And they all feel the same.

What I REALLY wanted was Vanilla WoW and Star Wars: Galaxies… And some new stuff.

So now my eyes are on Wildstar… I’m hopeful, but my hopes have been tempered through the years as I played one lackluster MMO after another. But here are a few things that have me excited:

• Healer, Tank, DPS, CC… They make sense. I see that now. Will be happy to have them back in my life. Also, DUAL specs for all so at least some dynamic added to what will inevitably become cookie-cutter builds.
  • Gear matters, but not overly much. Also, while there are armor types… You can transmute your armor to look like any other armor (you can make light armor look like heavy, etc.)
  • Open-World PvP on PvP servers… Yes, thank you.
  • 40-man raids are a core part of the end game and are actively developed. Yes, thank you.
  • Raid dynamics change weekly… Familiar raids will have new bosses, familiar bosses will have new mechanics… keepin’ it fresh yo.
  • 40 v 40 Warplots… Build your own Alterac Valley?!? Um… now please.
  • Player Housing is integral to the game… Build your house, decorate it, add challenges to you land… This was one of the best things about SW:G, and this seems even better.
  • Hoverboards… If you’ve seen the video, I need say no more.
  • Stylized graphics… Pixar meets Firefly, love it! I could care less about realistic graphics. Zero interest in ESO, Archeage, etc. I’m playing a video game, not a life simulator.
  • So if I beat a Raid Boss (Hardcore PvE), I can then add it to my Warplot? (Hardcore PvP)… Too much awesome.
  • Sci-Fi… So sick of being fed one Fantasy MMO after another. I LIKE Fantasy well enough, but I LOVE Sci-Fi.
  • Action Combat is cool… I love the combat in GW2 and Tera… But the game in which I was able to use it fell short.
  • I’m good with 10 abilities at a time… Again, GW2 was fine and I play MOBAs so I know full well there is a LOT you can do with limited skill slots. Screen retail is precious anyhoo.
  • While mining a mineral node, etc.… Said node can become an enemy and attack you! Will be fun to watch the bots getting killed this way.
  • Double-jump, Sprint, and Dash… Part of the Action Combat thing really, but very cool.
  • Hoverboards… I totally said this already but damn… Hoverboards… Dude does a friggin Tony Hawk move off a boulder… So awesome.

That’s my rant for today… Really I just wanted to kill some time at work today and I’d say mission accomplished. Also, I don’t see enough Wildstar posts on these forums… Is this flying under the radar a bit?

Cheers!

Mike

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." - Louis Hector Berlioz

Comments

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by Mikey_Hazard I got into it like crazy for a little while until I realized that all those things that I THOUGHT I hated about MMOs were actually things that turned out to be essential to the lure of MMOs (for me) in the first place.

Also, I don’t see enough Wildstar posts on these forums… Is this flying under the radar a bit?

Cheers!

Mike

Yes, and were starting to see Developers recognize that too, players think they know what they want, but most of the time it doesn't translate to the game and experience as well.

As far as the posts here, this forum one of the least posted on, there are many other sites including youtube/twitch/reddit/IGN, that get a lot of traffic and discussion.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Similar thoughts here to be honest, except I always claimed MMOs need evolution rather then a revolution.

The only thing I am missing in WildStar is ships like in Allods Online. Those things were the coolest stuff I've seen in MMOs up to date, shame the game was otherwise unplayable.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• whiskeyhealzwhiskeyhealz Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by sacredfool

Similar thoughts here to be honest, except I always claimed MMOs need evolution rather then a revolution.

The only thing I am missing in WildStar is ships like in Allods Online. Those things were the coolest stuff I've seen in MMOs up to date, shame the game was otherwise unplayable.

hahaha, id have to agree with you on the allods part. wildstar definitely has time to add starship combat though. it was so sad to see a F2P game as good and polished as allods be destroyed by the greed of some idiots who thought giving people the ability to spend $3000.00 in order to be an unstoppable force in that game. really loved that they didnt have auto attack too, glad to see wild star seems to have dropped the concept of auto attack as well. i am incredibly excited for this one.

• PopeLeoVIIPopeLeoVII Member UncommonPosts: 26

It was only a result of having the other day off from work and a snow storm keeping me from training that I was able to get my feet wet and dive into the world of WildStar.  One way or another I found my way perusing their youtube channel....and boom I was hooked.  Usually any games attempt to grab my attention via social media falls flat, but somehow WS was able to do just this.  Nearly every video Ive checked out so far has one been hilarious, and two informative.  I was actually looking forward to the next one ill check out.  When I get some downtime at work ill even throw up the longer videos on each of the classes.

Stealing a line from the owner of candyland,"Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention."

"My P.O. telling me I need a 9 to 5
    But I already got a job, and that's staying alive"

• AvulAvul Member Posts: 196
    I'm waiting for this game since 2011. A crossover mix between fantasy and sci-fi, a traditional MMO with a modern gameplay and the comedy aspect which reminds me a lot of Team Fortress 2. A dream comes true. There are just some concerns which hopefully disappear when the NDA is falling for the higher levels. Just some more options for the character customization and a reasonable monthly fee (i.e. 13-15€ max) and I'm jumping on the hype train!

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Daessar
    Originally posted by Mikey_Hazard I got into it like crazy for a little while until I realized that all those things that I THOUGHT I hated about MMOs were actually things that turned out to be essential to the lure of MMOs (for me) in the first place.

Also, I don’t see enough Wildstar posts on these forums… Is this flying under the radar a bit?

Cheers!

Mike

Yes, and were starting to see Developers recognize that too, players think they know what they want, but most of the time it doesn't translate to the game and experience as well.

As far as the posts here, this forum one of the least posted on, there are many other sites including youtube/twitch/reddit/IGN, that get a lot of traffic and discussion.

Thats because on mmorpg.com the grown up gamer demands every game to be a sandbox, either that or they have no interest in thes themepark games unless one becomes to popular, in which case they feel the urgent need to bash on it...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

It's too bad WildStar has generically bad lore to the point of me not even caring about the setting, and graphics that are inspired by a 10 year old game criticized for cartoon graphics when it came out 10 years ago.  To this day, outdated and tired graphics are still one of the most common complaints about WoW.  Talk about a low-hanging fruit.

I just haven't seen anything that doesn't scream "Generic MMO #439" thus far.

You make me like charity

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151

Originally posted by asmkm22 It's too bad WildStar has generically bad lore to the point of me not even caring about the setting, and graphics that are inspired by a 10 year old game criticized for cartoon graphics when it came out 10 years ago.  To this day, outdated and tired graphics are still one of the most common complaints about WoW.  Talk about a low-hanging fruit. I just haven't seen anything that doesn't scream "Generic MMO #439" thus far.

Agreed.

• whiskeyhealzwhiskeyhealz Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Keylogger_007

Originally posted by asmkm22 It's too bad WildStar has generically bad lore to the point of me not even caring about the setting, and graphics that are inspired by a 10 year old game criticized for cartoon graphics when it came out 10 years ago.  To this day, outdated and tired graphics are still one of the most common complaints about WoW.  Talk about a low-hanging fruit. I just haven't seen anything that doesn't scream "Generic MMO #439" thus far.

Agreed.

cartoonish graphics does not mean outdated. you are compare apples and oranges. somehow you gentlemen have confused graphics and art style.... 

you dont like the game? go play something else, no point in bashing a game thats in its closed beta which i doubt either of you have ever played. 

i also despise this term "generic mmo", its such an asinine statement. its not even accurate because some how the half-wits have taken over the forums and made MMO, massive multiplayer online, somehow directly mean mmorpg. it would be more accurate to say "generic rpg" than "generic mmo". following me? the term MMO refers to halo, cod, cs, wow, planetside, ect. its a broad term to describe every large online game.... as for the generic, its just a matter of opinion. i think half the games i hear people say they like are generic, unoriginal, default pieces of trash. which is why they all go free2play.

• CalavryCalavry Member UncommonPosts: 112

I hope that it turns out to be the MMO that you have been waiting for.

I am being pressured by gaming partners to give it a go so I guess that their box sales will go well. 

It does seem to be WoW 2.0. I had kinda done with WoW so I guess that  I am not the target audience.

Additionally I cannot see that some of the game mechanics will work for me as I have 300ms lag. Unplayable ?

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Daessar Originally posted by Mikey_Hazard I got into it like crazy for a little while until I realized that all those things that I THOUGHT I hated about MMOs were actually things that turned out to be essential to the lure of MMOs (for me) in the first place. Also, I don’t see enough Wildstar posts on these forums… Is this flying under the radar a bit? Cheers! Mike
      Yes, and were starting to see Developers recognize that too, players think they know what they want, but most of the time it doesn't translate to the game and experience as well. As far as the posts here, this forum one of the least posted on, there are many other sites including youtube/twitch/reddit/IGN, that get a lot of traffic and discussion.
    Thats because on mmorpg.com the grown up gamer demands every game to be a sandbox, either that or they have no interest in thes themepark games unless one becomes to popular, in which case they feel the urgent need to bash on it...

So true. Then there are people who are simply looking for fun. Apparently we are in the minority here.

• MongooseMongoose Member UncommonPosts: 86
    • Player Housing is integral to the game… Build your house, decorate it, add challenges to you land… This was one of the best things about SW:G, and this seems even better.

I'd have to disagree on this one. I think player housing kills in game communities. Nothing like trying a new game and all the cities are ghost towns because people are off in some distant instanced zone sitting in a little box. I think player/guild owned cities is the way to go for future development, causing players to congregate, giving it a since of community which is what MMOs are for.

-Mongoose

• IsomanIsoman Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Originally posted by Mongoose

I'd have to disagree on this one. I think player housing kills in game communities. Nothing like trying a new game and all the cities are ghost towns because people are off in some distant instanced zone sitting in a little box. I think player/guild owned cities is the way to go for future development, causing players to congregate, giving it a since of community which is what MMOs are for.

-Mongoose

If you played Star Wars Galaxies you would see the error in your statement. So many player/guild homes and cities sprang up that the countryside was a cluster of ghost towns. Also, all the best spots are quickly taken by the hardcore gamers.The only way to solve the clutter issue is instanced housing. Also, I do not share your fears of empty cities. Auction Houses, trainers, bank storage, and those just wishing to hang out and chat are just a few of the many reasons cities will populated.

• Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    I'd be far more optimistic if this wasn't an NCSoft title.
  • LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

Good post OP,

I'm basically in the same boat at you, but I'm also quite worried. Wildstar looks to be a great MMO but it is really possible to bring back those "must" feelings that MMO's had back in the day when they were new and fresh. When you basically just HAD TO log in and play, it was that much fun. Wildstar may end up being the best attempt we've seen so far, but is it enough?

I personally have no idea, I haven't been able to try the game out for myself just yet. As with most other things, only time will tell.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by Lorgarn

Good post OP,

I'm basically in the same boat at you, but I'm also quite worried. Wildstar looks to be a great MMO but it is really possible to bring back those "must" feelings that MMO's had back in the day when they were new and fresh. When you basically just HAD TO log in and play, it was that much fun. Wildstar may end up being the best attempt we've seen so far, but is it enough?

I personally have no idea, I haven't been able to try the game out for myself just yet. As with most other things, only time will tell.

it has the same generic feel as any other mmo tbh. going from questhub to questhub.

it might be just me but im extremely bored with it and need something completely diffrent.

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363

Just saying what every one else thinks for the most part. I have said that if it doesnt work in a DIKU MUD  or tabletop rpgs, it wont work in an MMO. Just a few additions though, races, by races not 3 or 4 races that look almost human. I am from the school of thought that I always want to play Neutral Evil Reptile and or Rat people with horns and fangs. I think that Raiding and PVP have to both be in the game and be able to benefit from one another. The problem is you have these extremist groups on both sides that want a game just for them and it ends up being boring. For instance I do not need a pure sandbox mmorpg, however I would like to play a burglar that had some other use than sneaking up on mobs and doing stun maybe some actual burglary and criminal black market activity. Crafting does not have to be a pure sandbox experience but it should be more than making dyes from Oak Bark. Also if you have crafting in a game and the Raid gear is always better than the craftables that is sort of a downer as well. One more thing that drives me nuts is how motherly the pvp has become lately. Part of the fun of OWPVP is messing with other people, things like the WOTLK pre launch zombie event, or releasing enslaved demons in low level towns or setting traps with my Tinker Mage in UO are all fun to do. However people that want to afk chat while wfg dont like any of these fun things and ruin it for the rest of us, so I think for them we need an out of Character  or OOC lounge. 

Wildstar combat looks good but the pvp from what I can tell is all battleground zones. I like the targeting and I dont think the skills are too limiting the way they did it but I honestly hope that class to class to gear is not too generic as in highly diversified within each class. I honestly played asian grinders with better gear options than some of the newer games lately. Also I worry about two basic things for Wildstar, two things that GW2, SWTOR and the last few WOW clones did wrong, bad or non living environments and almost meaningless crafting systems. They create a lack of interest in the game world to begin with which seems like it should be your first priority, again back to Muds and Tabletop. If you cannot get someone to play a tabletop game with one race and 5 skills no crafting, housing, pvp or well choices, chances are it wont work in 3d either. 

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

seriously my issue I cant get past in Wildstar is hub-2-hub questing til endgame, and why on earth do I get only 1 fricking option for a weapon.