Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Neverwinter: Is Neverwinter Really an MMO?

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by DamonVile

LoL is getting called an mmo, it doesn't even have a world. The term mmo doesn't imply a world at all. Massively multiplayer online means built for lots of people playing online doesn't it ? Everything else is really what the reader applies to it.

If you're going to start calling the worlds massive.... are they ? I can run across the world of most games in about 20 minutes. I can still see my house after 20 minutes of running in real life.....wouldn't really consider that a massive distance.

What they put at the end of mmo I think should say more about the game type than mmo does. ARPG, RPG, FPS, TPS ( third ) etc all give a better indication of what the game is. Maybe we just need a better name like IRPG instanced role playing game.

Well you won't see your house unless it is open fields,we EXPECT assets in a game.Also if you run for 20 minutes in every direction that is more like 9 square miles,that would be considered quite massive.Ever have a Paintball game with 20 players,imagine playing over 9 Sq miles,it would get real boring because of the size.

MOST large sports games ,example Football/Baseball play in a field of far less proportions.Also when saying run across a game world,those zones are linked for faster access,if you actually had to run across them all,it would take you more than an hour.It took me exactly 20 minutes to run the fastest route between two cities in FXIV,that is not even close to running across the entire game.

MMO is not simply built for lots of players online,it means in the SAME place at the SAME time.You wouldn't say a movie theater is built for massive amounts of people IF you go to every theater in the owners stable,it eludes to that ONE theater.Same as a football stadium,if it holds a massive audience of 100k,that means in that SAME stadium,where everyone can basically see and interact with each other without leaving the stadium for another  venue or place.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• sbrite10sbrite10 Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by djazzy
    Originally posted by Sajman01
    It's no less an MMO than GW2. 

How so?

GW2 is not a lobby game.

Lobby Implies no Avatars representing your character.So I think its no less an MMO than GW2.As stated earlier MMO stands for Massively Multiplayer Online correct?Neverwinter is all of that.Its a silly argument anyway.If you enjoy it why is it even a question?If you don't why do you care?

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Wizardry

LoL is getting called an mmo, it doesn't even have a world. The term mmo doesn't imply a world at all. Massively multiplayer online means built for lots of people playing online doesn't it ? Everything else is really what the reader applies to it.

If you're going to start calling the worlds massive.... are they ? I can run across the world of most games in about 20 minutes. I can still see my house after 20 minutes of running in real life.....wouldn't really consider that a massive distance.

What they put at the end of mmo I think should say more about the game type than mmo does. ARPG, RPG, FPS, TPS ( third ) etc all give a better indication of what the game is. Maybe we just need a better name like IRPG instanced role playing game.

Well you won't see your house unless it is open fields,we EXPECT assets in a game.Also if you run for 20 minutes in every direction that is more like 9 square miles,that would be considered quite massive.Ever have a Paintball game with 20 players,imagine playing over 9 Sq miles,it would get real boring because of the size.

MOST large sports games ,example Football/Baseball play in a field of far less proportions.Also when saying run across a game world,those zones are linked for faster access,if you actually had to run across them all,it would take you more than an hour.It took me exactly 20 minutes to run the fastest route between two cities in FXIV,that is not even close to running across the entire game.

MMO is not simply built for lots of players online,it means in the SAME place at the SAME time.You wouldn't say a movie theater is built for massive amounts of people IF you go to every theater in the owners stable,it eludes to that ONE theater.Same as a football stadium,if it holds a massive audience of 100k,that means in that SAME stadium,where everyone can basically see and interact with each other without leaving the stadium for another  venue or place.

20 minutes, an hour... 10 hours... you've missed the point. Massive worlds are based on one persons opinion. How long would it take you to run around the earth ? These game worlds are tinny compaired to it so....why are we calling them massive virtual worlds then ? 

MMOs have never been built like that. Most have multiple servers which forces them apart All of them crash if too many people go to the same place at the same time. Even eve only works because people spread out and don't all interact with each other in the same place.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Is Neverwinter Massive? Yes.  Is it Multiplayer? Yes.  Is it Online? Yes.  Then its an MMO by straight definition.  Its just not an MMO*RPG* which is somewhat a sub genre.  More MMOs are coming out than MMORPGs.  It was the MMORPGs that had huge, massive, virtual worlds. There is either no market or no demand because there is definitely interest.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Originally posted by Vasel
    The only thing resembling a MMO is the fact you have  some levels and there are quests. ITs a linear theme park designed to empty your pockets.

And that's different from any other mmo out there how?  Of course there are exceptions but think about it.  If you play any mmo that launches (not f2p) you are looking at around $250 for the first year.  $180 every year after that with it bumping up to $210/$220 on expansion years.  200 bones a year for something that doesn't exist in reality except by the whim of a development team/corporation keeping the lights on?  This of course doesn't count if you go in for the cash shops that exist in subscription mmos whereby you get to pay a corporation for virtual items that they just click a button to create instantaneously.  At least when you bought gold there were teams of chinese farmers working the virtual fields to get that money to sell you, these corporations charge you double the "black" market and they don't even have real labor being expended in the selling of it to you.  Hell with wonderful companies like Blizzard out there you get cash shops in single player games too.  Yay!

Personally I play Neverwinter whenever I have an itch to scratch, provides me a couple of hours of entertainment and then I am good for a week or three lol.  Don't remember ever paying anything to play it.... surely hasn't emptied my pockets, but thats just my experience :)

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Originally posted by SBFord

The Tourist is back and ready to roll in 2014. In this latest column, we visit Neverwinter and offer a few thoughts about its status as an MMO. Read on before heading to the comments to chat.

I sent out a tweet recently asking if Neverwinter's deserved to be included in this year's Game of the Year talks. The crux of the matter is simply this, with so few options, could be be ascribing more praise to the game than it perhaps deserves? Few players will deny that Neverwinter had an certain allure surrounding its launch. More than that, the game's first early experiences teeter on the edge of wonderousness.

Read more of Chris Coke's The Tourist: Is Neverwinter Really an MMO?

As to whether its an MMO?  Sure seems feels and looks like an mmo to me.  What persistence is there in ANY mmo out there?  How many times have you killed boss mob alpha of any raid in any mmo out there?  Show me the MMO out there with the boss mobs that once killed never ever spawn again.  How many times have you drudged through the same dungeon, doing the exact same dance, using this ability at this time (everytime) stand here to avoid this attack (everytime) etc etc etc.  And you mention persistence as if that was something that actually mattered as to whether a game were an MMO or not?  If so then the only two MMOs ever were SWG and Eve.

As to isolated instances: 1) THANK GOD.  2) PEOPLE SUCK.  And finally:  3) PEOPLE SUCK.
     :D

Seeing other people in town makes a helluva lot more sense than walking into some big baddies lair to see 20 people on their way out 40 people standing around dueling and mooning each other waiting for the big baddie to spawn again.  Or being given that early quest about the village in danger from a plague of wild pigs, spiders, sand fleas, whatever that will be cured by your killing 4 of them.  Which, of course, as you run out to face the vile threat you slam into the back of another player as you watch some 30+ people milling about playing whack a mole waiting for this "plague" to eventually materialize.  Please refer to my opinion on persistence and my list of pros for isolated instance if you wonder why I have a problem with the mentioned scenario.  :)

Yes Neverwinter is an MMO as much as anything else out there.  Hell you guys cover Diablo 3 here on MMORPG.com so I do appreciate your asking for clarification as there seems to be some confusion from people trying to make a simple thing far more complicated than it is.  :)

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

Neverwinter is garbage.  A major let down.  Yet another insult to D&D - which is seemingly beyond hope due to corporate ownership/handling and the impossibility of anybody doing it up right without hassles and costs.

Mediocre game, weak character development, weak just about everything.  Foundry does rock - but it's not enough to make the game worth playing.

Flush Neverwinter and hope that other devs see the power of user-created content via foundry like tools.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by Sajman01
    It's no less an MMO than GW2. 

thats not saying much, at that

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• UnitAkiraUnitAkira Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by IDontThinkSoNo

People spamming gold farming in chat.

Forced group content.

Broken English players.

Nerd raging guilds that require VoIP.

Yep, MMO.

Broken english players ? nice how about you try play a game where its not your mother tongue been spoken ,at least they make an effort to speak .. sounds like you are the leader of one of these nerd raging guilds and one of those who go after the typos people make in chat too .. but that a side yeah it has the annoying mmo aspects like gold spammers and forced group content and the character development is so limited and open world  more like open dungeon .

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

One of the main things that makes an MMO for me is if I can stumble across another player in place I'd least expect. Its actually a surprise.   It requires a vast ,seemingly uncompartmentalized world to explore. It can't happen in a hub where every square inch is part of a greased up quest chain and invisible walls abound.Even the "secret" places are only there to satisfy the urge to collect. A path put in for the soul purpose of a new  shiny for the umpteenth check list. SWTOR's datacron hunts are a good example of this.

These worlds are very rarely made these days. Mortal Online's open. Almost too open. Put some more wildlife critters in there guys. It's definitely come a long long way since beta/launch and still has plenty to go. It has a good feeling of threat and exploration. I spend hours just running about. Just wish the land wasn't just a complete perfect circle. Why did they change it I wonder?  Vanguard great for exploration..

There are a few more still around and I am hopeful these indie projects that are clawing about lately will scratch those itches because the bigger beasts can't even seem to grow nails anymore. Oh they roar a lot . Sometimes for years. Then come launch day all we get is a weak , strangled purr. WTF? kittens. Where's the lion they "promised" me?

The others MMOS have their place. Really they do. I like SWTOR , DCUO and even WOW is played from time to time among others.

Just really looking for an actual world that I can finally call home..because it feels like one. Not because its the nicest looking or only house left on the block.

• KirinRahlKirinRahl Member UncommonPosts: 159

This is the weakest, most irrelevant timewaster of a conversation I ever see crop up.

I've seen it so many times, and every time it ends with everyone reiterating their own opinion about the whole matter.  Occasionally they also cross their arms and huff.

This is a stupid conversation.  The game has many MMORPG-like elements in it.  It's closer to an MMO than it is to Battlefield or Star Conflict or Call of Duty or DotA.

Stop picking this nit.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    I found that neverwinter had a very strong community compared to a lot of other mmo's to date. Lots of grouping in each zone for dungeons without using the looking for a dungeon instance tool. I do not see how this game wouldnt be called an mmorpg as it has a server that holds thousands of players so its massive . Its linear yes but you also have the foundry and plenty of player content from the campaigns to skirmishes to dungeons etc. So not thinking its an mmorpg is kinda a stretch as it has all the features other than it being very instanced and linear. The thing I hate about it is its designed from the ground up to empty your wallet like all the other perfect world games. I really wish the parent company to cryptic didnt sell off the studio to those moronic idiots at perfect world. id love to see them out of business and out of the mmo genre. It just sucks as I feel like neverwinter is a good game but once the chinese get a hold of it its all nickle and dime time.
  • XandramasXandramas Member Posts: 73
    its as much an mmo as any other p2w aka f2p mmo out there. Anybody saying different is deluding themselves.
  • WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224

Well to be honest WoW have become also very linear theme park designed and still people call that game mmo"rpg" and well to be total honest even in neverwinter is a free to play game with ingame shop which btw WoW have also since few weeks back you dont have buy anything from that shop if you dont want to.

Also neverwinter still have same rule as single version when come to char attribute when lvl up and still base on AD&D core rule which not many mmo"rpg" out there and i think that is one of best thing about just neverwinter that still have old school thing that you can set point on char which today not many mmo"rpg" have.

So do i think neverwinter is really a mmo yes if i look at WoW, SWTOR, LOTRO, Vanguard, GW2 just name few mmo the are all have linear theme park designed for freedom off mmo have been take away from many of them so the design team can control you game play and it make easy for them to update game with patch for if you linear a game you as design dont have put so much work when do patcher to the game.

Beside neverwinter have alot of more free content patch then WoW only thing i have buy was the new expansion pack which was cheap and last month the gave nenverwinter a class for free in patch and what do blizzard after years of community nag on forum blizzard is finally update the classic race but do you get that those for free?

No the are add them to next expansion WoD so if want the new update char model you have buy WoW expansion so if people what talk about neverwinter cost extra money will at lest the dont do as blizzard to with there char model update.

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224

Technically no.  It is not a MMO.  It lacks the online world.

But practically maybe as game worlds have shrunk and moved to instanced content it is not hugely different.

I think of NWN as a MMO lite.  Almost a MMO but lacking the persistent world.  From a practical sense it fulfills most of the activities of a modern MMO.

A better question is NWN a AAA game?  My thought is its borderline but to cheap and low in quality.  Which is why it is more of a lobby game then a game with a persistent world.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Actually no. It does imply a world. The term MMO was used to define a persistent online world in which a large number of players can impact / interact with each other. That is all. It does not imply anything whatsoever about HOW that impact takes place, and ignores any foolish themepark vs sandbox arguments, it is simply what was stated. The rest of it, such as RPG, is as you stated determined by other factors.

Whether or not NWO is an MMO or not... Well consider that GW1 was not considered an MMO, even by it's creators. Why? Because much like NWO, sure it had hubs where you could interact with other players, but the actual playable content (aka "the world") took the form of isolated instances in which you had no contact with players other than your own party. Not quite sure if it's as isolated in NWO, but if so, I would say it is not an MMO either.

NWO is not isolated as GW1 is. You have the various open world zones that you adventure in alongside other players, heck you've got to compete at times to kill mobs, loot various resource nodes and ofc quest items that are static spawns.

Your only isolated when you take on the various dungeons/missions, although tbh it works the exact same way as most of the other MMO's, the dungeon instance belongs to your grp, when playing WoW another grp can not enter your own dungeon instance while your grp is actively inside.

Seems everyone has a differing opinion on what an MMO is, and great job OP on stirring up an old argument that has bounced around these forums since it's inception.

• AlminieAlminie Member UncommonPosts: 114
    it's not even a DnD game only thing that resembles a DnD game is the name, it's more like a lobby where you can play with multiple ppl in a rpg with a DnD name, and basic theme park experience. :-p
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

when you mean MMO in the original sense of the world,....

nowadays you need to say "open world" instead.

in order to have any hope people know what you are talking about.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Vasel
    The only thing resembling a MMO is the fact you have  some levels and there are quests. ITs a linear theme park designed to empty your pockets.

While it is a Linear Themepark, it isn't a big budget all-encompassing game.  Nor was it meant to be, Jack Emeritt himself even stated as much during development.  What Neverwinter does it does well and Microtransactions are not needed to play the game but they will help and further fund the team.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Alminie
    it's not even a DnD game only thing that resembles a DnD game is the name, it's more like a lobby where you can play with multiple ppl in a rpg with a DnD name, and basic theme park experience. :-p

So in other words it's just like sitting around a kitchen table playing with a group of friends running a campaign.  In other words it is EXACTLY like a D&D game.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198

I am not sure the conversation matters.  But just to participate lol, if Battlefield or Call of Duty essentially created graphical lobby's that hold hundreds before matches would it then become a MMOFPS?

I define a game a MMORPG.

1. A roleplaying game.
    2. Persistent world. (Game world that is up even if 0 players are logged in)
    3. Hundreds of players can play same time and same place.

If NWO is 100% instanced with 20 or 30 players per instance its more of a lobby game than a MMORPG.  But I don't think it really matters to a lot of people what its called as give the appearance of a MMORPG. 
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal

I define a game a MMORPG.

1. A roleplaying game.
    2. Persistant world

Pretty much this.  I would add something like "no hard limit on the number of concurrent players".

Over the years, people seem to think that whatever they personally enjoy in a game suddenly defines it as an MMO. "Oh, i like PvP, therefore any game without PvP is not a really MMORPG!"  "Oh, i like sandbox/themepark, any game that is less sandbox/themepark is not really a MMORPG!",  "Oh i like harsh death penalty... and i like instances... and i don't like instances.. and i like only having one shared world... and i like having copies of the world with mulitple servers...and i like it to be in space... and it must be fantasy world set..."  All these things define what a MMORPG is like or how it's made or what the rules are.  It doesn't define what a MMORPG is.    

You can say that all these games - WoW, Neverwinter, SWTOR, GW2, etc. - you can say that "they're crappy MMORPGs", but that doesn't make them any less MMORPGs.    If i go outside with my video camera and film the empty parking lot for 2 hours, I'll have made a movie.  It might be the world's worst movie, but doesn't change the fact that it's a movie.   People really need to stop confusing the definition of something with its quality.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

MMORPG's have a history that have set a precedent.  Thanks to that history, we have certain expectations that must be met.  One being the large number of players who can access and play the game together at the same time and in the same space.  Another is the game world itself.  We have been trained from early on to expect large explorable worlds with few if any barriers between players (such as phasing and instancing).  We have come to accept adventuring and questing as the primary paths for progression.  We demand side activities that are not combat related, such as crafting, costumes, puzzle jumping and housing.

When I come across an MMO that lacks many or even just a few of such features, I find myself dismissing it as a real MMO and certainly one I'd rather not play.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

No persistent world, so no it is not a MMO.  Just like Diablo III is not a MMO.  Does not mean that MMORPG should not cover them.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by battlewagon

What did Neverwinter do right?

I have to say The Foundry tops the list.  You can have short adventures or long ones.  And the list of options only gets better with each passing day.

The other thing it did right is keep the instances rather short.  Whether you are pressed for time or have all day to play it usually didn't take too long to wrap up an instance.  In and out.  Rinse and repeat.

What did Neverwinter do wrong?

When I was playing the Dwarven instance area was on a four hour loop.  So if you wanted to do it you have to make sure to login at the right time. 

Some of the classes lacked "strengths".  When you deal with MMOs, you think of the classes as rock, paper, scissors.  Every class has another class they were weak against and another class that they swept the floor with.  In this case, the wizard class was weak, the healers were difficult to play, and the warriors and rogues cleaned the floor with everybody.  Both the warriros and the rogues had blocks.  Wizards and healers did not.  So even if you went to use your most powerful skill, you had a very good chance of the rogues and warriors simply blocking it and then you were toast.  Plus one stun by a rogue and you were dead before you could recover.

Plus the crafting was horrible.  No way to get bag space (except for two quests) unless you paid for it.  Very slow crafting leveling, and when you maxed out on a crafting system you really didn't feel like you had achieved anything.

I played for a while but eventually the weaknesses of the game over took the strengths.

This was there by design! The limitation on bag space, crafting time, and much more are all there for you to spend real money (lots of it) to make the game perform and play like a real MMO should. After toying with the cash shop and Zen I concluded, to get this game to have the same basic features that WoW or many other subscription based games I would be spending way more than $14.99 a month for it. 

As far as it being an MMO.... does it matter? Until someone comes up with a better title to separate or define the difference in game designs it will be labeled as an MMO and I am ok with that.