Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reinstalling. Any MO players have tips for a gatherer/crafter?

LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Going to check this out again for the first time in a few years so I've forgotten everything about the game. Looking to get into gathering/crafting and then, if I'm enjoying it, hook up with a guild. Anyone have tips or advice for me? 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
"Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Good luck!

Be sure to let us know your thoughts.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Going to check this out again for the first time in a few years so I've forgotten everything about the game. Looking to get into gathering/crafting and then, if I'm enjoying it, hook up with a guild. Anyone have tips or advice for me? 

Id check the official MO forums for advice, this place is deserted, only haters here...

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by ilives
    Originally posted by YoungCaesar

Id check the official MO forums for advice, this place is deserted, only haters here...

[mod edit]

I think he means that most players that can give him advice are the once playing the game. Most people here on MMORPG only hate the game and don't play it, and will most likely only "advice" peeps to not play it. So if you want advice about the actuall gameplay etc, the official forum for MO is the way to go. As simple as that.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

MO now has a limitless free trial (with skill caps at 60) so you can basically try all things for free.

for crafters it does suck because without 100 skills nobody will buy your stuff, but you can still try all aspects of the game for free.

if you like gathering and crafting you want to try and get in NTC or ID. best place to contact them is through the MO forums or just hang out by their palissades and see if you can chat them up. Good luck. 

Originally posted by Lahuzer
    Originally posted by YoungCaesar

[mod edit]

I think he means that most players that can give him advice are the once playing the game. Most people here on MMORPG only hate the game and don't play it, and will most likely only "advice" peeps to not play it. So if you want advice about the actuall gameplay etc, the official forum for MO is the way to go. As simple as that.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300

[mod edit]

@ OP. Feel free to try MO mate and come back to share your thoughts. If you ask me, the game made some baby steps since release but not a single one crucial nor essencial. Bugs, crashes, exploiters/ exploits, hype, lies, minimal to non existant progress and developement, the most terrible and unprofessional stuff (starting from the lowest councilor and ending to the 2 devs) i ve ever meet in my 16+ years of gaming.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Originally posted by argirop
    [mod edit]

The problem with MO has never been getting people to try it.   It's getting people to keep playing it after they do try it.  The reason it struggles isn't because there are a group of people who speak badly about the game.  The problem is the actual game itself. 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Interesting enough, almost no one of those who written on this forum about trying MO out came back to tell about their experience.. 
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Toferio
    Interesting enough, almost no one of those who written on this forum about trying MO out came back to tell about their experience.. 

Interesting enough, it's only been four days. If the game was half as faceroll as SWTOR, WOW or most of the other games in the genre, I would have been back in a couple hours to relay my experience (*cue the 'endgame is different' guy*). However, MO seems to have a lot more to learn, and after four days I'm just starting to get the hang of it. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Tame or buy a couple donkeys, you'll want a couple because the chances of losing them are moderate. It will save you time.

get the largest pack you can find and throw it over that jackass.

Head to your selected resource and farm.

Mind the weight limit of the pack

going over will make you wonder why your donkey isn't going anywhere..

I am not sure if they have fixed it yet but the last time i played it was easy to lose track of the weight in the bag and the game would let you just keep putting shit in there.. even after it was maxed.

-Chopping trees is a good way to take up attributes

-put all your money in the bank.

-Its easy for a thief to steal 1 gold coin out of your pocket.. It's way harder for him to steal 1000 silver..

-keep your head on a swivel while purchasing items. Thieves will camp merchants and wait for you to buy and then steal it.

-Pushing someone (hold right click, then left click) who is searching through your pockets will cause the guards to attack them

-gathering, crafting is a great time to look through skills to  -, +, or lock accordingly

-head shots hurt

all i can think of right now.

Interesting enough, it's only been four days. If the game was half as faceroll as SWTOR, WOW or most of the other games in the genre, I would have been back in a couple hours to relay my experience (*cue the 'endgame is different' guy*). However, MO seems to have a lot more to learn, and after four days I'm just starting to get the hang of it. 

That wasn't directed at you, but a general observation about the majority of "I'm trying out MO" threads. I'm looking forward hearing your thoughts in few weeks. 

And look. OP actually enjoys it after his 4 days. Miracles do happen apperantly.

All OP said was that s/he is just starting to get hang of things, funny how you translated that into enjoyment. 

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Stick to the topic, guys.  The topic is not each other.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

And look. OP actually enjoys it after his 4 days. Miracles do happen apperantly.

All OP said was that s/he is just starting to get hang of things, funny how you translated that into enjoyment. 

He also said: "If the game was half as faceroll as SWTOR, WOW or most of the other games in the genre, I would have been back in a couple hours to relay my experience (*cue the 'endgame is different' guy*)". I at least interpreted that as he enjoys it. Or at least finds it interesting enough to keep playing. And who would continue to play something they don't enjoy? But I could be wrong. He maybe don't like it, but continues to play it to learn it. Sounds more likely...

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Don't let the haters turn you away form MO. The only reason i don't play MO is because i need a new computer and i will get it pretty soon built by one of my friend. With what we currently have on the market, MO is different and one of the only sandbox mmorpg left so embrace what you have.

For crafters, i'd recommand you to join a mixed clan that also has a lot of newb's below average in it. Sell your junk to those players. Try to sell the rest to the rest of the server, but like someone else said, it wont be easy to sell if it's not something viable for the top gamers. Once you're crafting is at 100 or just enough to make viable stuff, go look for a clan that suits you best and enjoy MO.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• NajwalaylahNajwalaylah Member UncommonPosts: 85

Research everything before you do anything.

Don't take materials out of the bank until you know exactly how many you are going to use, where, and who's around you both at the bank and at your crafting destination and at every point in-between. Have a plan of what you will do if attacked while carrying.

Do not overburden yourself; that is, at all costs avoid movement penalties.

Use a pack animal if possible.

Make smaller batches.

Consult the official Mortal Online forums.

Reconsider joining a guild before you start to take larger risks of time spent crafting.

Read the books for your trade.

Gather at off hours, and at the less-obvious locations.

Look out behind you, remembering that you have to get refocused upon an appliance before the timer ends or you will find your product deposited in a bag (which isn't the worst thing that can happen, if it does; a worse thing is finding your own innards in a bag on the ground).

Casilda Tametomo, Priestess of Soldeus | AKA Lepida Aegis-Imperium.com

«Si oblitus fuero usque ad finem omnia opera eorum»

Originally posted by Najwalaylah

Research everything before you do anything.

Don't take materials out of the bank until you know exactly how many you are going to use, where, and who's around you both at the bank and at your crafting destination and at every point in-between. Have a plan of what you will do if attacked while carrying.

Do not overburden yourself; that is, at all costs avoid movement penalties.

Use a pack animal if possible.

Make smaller batches.

Consult the official Mortal Online forums.

Reconsider joining a guild before you start to take larger risks of time spent crafting.

Read the books for your trade.

Gather at off hours, and at the less-obvious locations.

Look out behind you, remembering that you have to get refocused upon an appliance before the timer ends or you will find your product deposited in a bag (which isn't the worst thing that can happen, if it does; a worse thing is finding your own innards in a bag on the ground).

Sounds like a tutorial for DayZ :p

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

The best advice I can give is to leave Tindrem as soon as possible. Being the biggest city in game, Tindrem is naturally FULL of thieves and griefers looking for targets. Once you go somewhere else, the game really starts to open up. You'll find that you are able to leave town and survive much more often than you would around the Tindrem area.

As someone else already mentioned, tame or buy a donkey and use it to carry around your gathered items. They are great pack animals and won't require nearly as much creature control as others.

It is also a really good idea to join a guild ASAP. Having a group of warriors close by to defend your gatherer/crafter characters makes everything MUCH easier.