Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: McQuaid Makes Us Wonder: Who Is that Burly Man?

13»

Comments

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    So that's the graphic from the T-shirt that will be produced 4 years from now that says "I gave Brad McQuiad 20 million dollars to make an MMO and I'll I got was this damned T-shirt with a funky picture of me dressed in some fantasy garb! " on it ???
  • jagd241jagd241 Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by eric1000
    McQuaid made one good game when MMO's were new and fresh, after which he thought of himself as the god of the genre.  Vanguard showed just how wrong he was.  Has everyone forgotten how he bad mouthed all the other competing games that were being made at the same time?  I bet FC haven't stopped laughing yet that SoE had to bail out his wreck of a game.  Myself I wouldn't touch anything that McQuaid has a hand in until it has been proven solid, polished and a worthwhile investment of my money and time.

Vanguard at release was buggy but design wise better than anything else that's come along since.  Your money is yours to spend as you want.  If you didn't like Vanguard I can't imagine you'll like a new game from him.  I on the other hand am looking forward to this game - and frankly the lack of big time money will force them to make a smaller, better game.  Vanguard's biggest failing was that the aimed way too big.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by jagd241
    McQuaid made one good game when MMO's were new and fresh, after which he thought of himself as the god of the genre.  Vanguard showed just how wrong he was.  Has everyone forgotten how he bad mouthed all the other competing games that were being made at the same time?  I bet FC haven't stopped laughing yet that SoE had to bail out his wreck of a game.  Myself I wouldn't touch anything that McQuaid has a hand in until it has been proven solid, polished and a worthwhile investment of my money and time.

Vanguard at release was buggy but design wise better than anything else that's come along since.  Your money is yours to spend as you want.  If you didn't like Vanguard I can't imagine you'll like a new game from him.  I on the other hand am looking forward to this game - and frankly the lack of big time money will force them to make a smaller, better game.  Vanguard's biggest failing was that the aimed way too big.

buggy is the understatement of a lifetime. I've played many MMOs at launch, and several have been buggy.

Vanguard at launch was a f*&king train wreck. I played on day 1 (when it wasn't crashing and rolling back resetting all progress and all of the "permanently found and engraved landmarks" which were supposed to be nice and special to early players) and I couldn't believe how broken it was. It was atrocious and to this day I am pissed they didn't give a refund.

• trancefatetrancefate Member UncommonPosts: 146

Game is guaranteed success if Brad is ONLY in charge of creative design. If Brad is CEO, game is doomed to be another Vanguard.

Don't believe me? Look at the fucking hubris on this dude, HE WILL FAIL ANY TIME HE IS IN CHARGE. He just isn't a good person, and it is obvious. That being said, I hope some good businessman buys his shit and reigns him in so it can be good ALA eq1.

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Did somebody call Burly Man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDKcevMFUCo

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

It really shows to McQuaid arrogance that the first "sneak peek" render he shows of his new game is of someone in ridiculously ostentatious oversized armor sitting on a throne

Thats a really cool Snowboard hes got there though.

Oh..wait. Thats supposed to be a sword. NM

This. Alas.

The reality is, that the EQ1 model is gone. It never appealed to a broad audience.

No MMO does, or should. WoW is a fluke. Trying to appeal to a broad audience is the best way to make a game that pleases no one.  EQ appealed to 500k subscribers at one point, only two other games have sustained that level of population over time, WoW and Eve. I think you're confused.

Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

It really shows to McQuaid arrogance that the first "sneak peek" render he shows of his new game is of someone in ridiculously ostentatious oversized armor sitting on a throne

Thats a really cool Snowboard hes got there though.

Oh..wait. Thats supposed to be a sword. NM

I hated Vanguard back then,

Oh, I got it. You're projecting. Many MANY people loved Vanguard. The fact that its still alive despite no support from SoE is a testament to it. It was the bugs people didn't like.

Besides, a lower budget MMO does not need WoW numbers to be successful.

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

buggy is the understatement of a lifetime. I've played many MMOs at launch, and several have been buggy.

Vanguard at launch was a f*&king train wreck. I played on day 1 (when it wasn't crashing and rolling back resetting all progress and all of the "permanently found and engraved landmarks" which were supposed to be nice and special to early players) and I couldn't believe how broken it was. It was atrocious and to this day I am pissed they didn't give a refund.

I played VG at launch as well.  Laggy as heck, massive chunking and of course bugs.  I didn't quit at level 2 like 50% of the population and ended up enjoying the heck out of that game.   Probably my favorite MMO of all time - even over EQ and WoW.

If VG had had a non-buggy launch it would have easily hit EQ1/2 numbers long term (200-500k).  I don't think this new kickstarter MMO could come close  to that, it just can't have as wide gameplay, but a niche MMO could still get 100k subs which is enough to sustain the game and pay for expansions.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

I dont disagree with your stance of waiting to see the product first, but I think its pretty odd how its great to give Jacobs a second chance but not McQuaid.  WAR was a disaster and blaming the publisher is a cop out.  

Im with you though, i would rather Brad only be creative control.  I get the feeling that SoE would be making the game if they were in better financial shape, they cant afford to have 2 major projects at once these days, they probably can barely afford EQN.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

Oh, I got it. You're projecting. Many MANY people loved Vanguard. The fact that its still alive despite no support from SoE is a testament to it. It was the bugs people didn't like.

This isnt completely true.

Because there was a time when the bugs were mostly squashed and SoE was still working on the game, but there was still a lack of players.  SoE's lack of support is a direct consequence of the lack of player support after they fixed the game up.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by syriinx

Because there was a time when the bugs were mostly squashed and SoE was still working on the game, but there was still a lack of players.  SoE's lack of support is a direct consequence of the lack of player support after they fixed the game up.

EVE is the only game that has managed to increase its playerbase by any substantial amount after release (outside of WOW of course).  In almmost all situations you have to fight to retain the initial "hype" influx of players.

So its not really fair to say that with Vanguard as the game was literally that buggy.

I wish he would of left it up, but Brad McQuaid had a post on his website where he talked about the vanguard release, and one of the things he mentioned (and i dont remember the exact figure) but it was something like 80% of the people who logged in to the game never logged in again after less than 48 hours.  Now, he is right that people don't quit MMO's that quickly because the particular style, etc.  They quit because they can't play the game properly.  In this case it was bad frame rates, and tons of bugs.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

The game, to some extent, STILL isn't fixed up.

When SoE took over, their focus was on performance, and making it more like WoW. They didn't do a great job on the first, and did an amazing job at the second, which made most of the remaining players leave. Vanguard was never mentioned at any SoE Fan Faires, new innovative half implemented features were axed instead of extended, content came once every 2 years or so, if at all. The biggest and most time intensive thing they did was create a trial island, which didn't even show the strengths of the game. They put it on a shelf to die.

Originally posted by Hrimnir

EVE is the only game that has managed to increase its playerbase by any substantial amount after release (outside of WOW of course).  In almmost all situations you have to fight to retain the initial "hype" influx of players.

Well, except for all the pre WoW MMOs, and most low budget indie MMOs.
  • finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453
    Anyone that supports this morally and ethically bankrupt individual deserves to rot in hell right beside him. Mass parking lot firing which he was too cowardly to even attend and people still willing to give him money for failed ideas from the 90's.
    Originally posted by finnmacool1
    people still willing to give him money for failed ideas from the 90's.

You mean.. the same exact ideas that WoW has been dominating the market with for... 9 years?

We have a name from Aradune's twitter: (https://twitter.com/Aradune)

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

We have a name from Aradune's twitter: (https://twitter.com/Aradune)

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

Sounds like a Moba title name.

Eh, I'm kind of tired of high fantasy.
    Originally posted by Fearum

Nope. It's the "Modern, challenging, group focused MMO game"

Official Twitter Feed:

https://twitter.com/PantheonRotF

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    It's pretty sad how hard some of you are tearing apart a game that you don't even know anything about yet... Talk about bitter.

Smile

Originally posted by Razeekster
    It's pretty sad how hard some of you are tearing apart a game that you don't even know anything about yet... Talk about bitter.

Who cares.  All that matters is that enough people like it to fund it.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Fearum

Nope. It's the "Modern, challenging, group focused MMO game"

Official Twitter Feed:

https://twitter.com/PantheonRotF

Ok maybe a dungeon running game, but still could be a moba from that definition. I'm not talking down about the game, I know nothing about it. Just guessing at this point. If when the game is described I shall take a look at it and see if it would be something that intrigues me to toss a little cash at him.

• Stewe79Stewe79 Member UncommonPosts: 40

I will toss a giant pile of money at it :) 

Why?

Because i loved both EQ1 since launch and VG from Beta 2 or 3 cant remember,

desipte what people says i never had any end of game bugs for me in VG..  

was way more bugs in EQ at at the beginning.. and the downtimes of servers was like 2 to 6 times a day :) and always no ETA when servers was planned to get back up, (Good old times )

And Brad has always had same philosopy as me. with most things.  PvE > PvP and that will lead to strong defined classes with strenghts and weakness. that can work together in synergies :)

And for you that does think i shall rot in hell for help funding this kind of project. 

im gladly rot in hell with this game made so i dont mind at all :)

No Signature :)