Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which is your least disappointing MMO?

I don't really have any favourites anymore, so I'm settling for the least disappointing one.

For the time being it's  SWTOR - and I know alot of people got mad at the game or the company for some reason, for me it's good enough, it sort of delivers without any big letdowns. Although I wasn't around at launch, and I haven't played endgame yet. The only somewhat annoyance is the one time password you have to use every time you log into your account, though not necessarily when you log into the game.

Anyway, what's your least disappointing MMORPG? Or if you have favourite one?

And why is it so?

Comments

• ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126

Historically, for me it was DDO which I played for about 6 years. I quite liked the combat in DDO, and I had the best circle of friends there. Still I eventually burned out on it. Since then, I find I get tired of MMOs more quickly, though I still quite like EQ2. I have high hopes for EQ Next.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I can't recall ever being disappointed with an MMO, I haven't purchased that many though. DAOC, UO, SWG, EVE, AOC,GW1 and SWTOR (which was basically what I expected of it). EQ2, WAR and WOW were gifts from a gaming friend, I didn't really get into any of them, but I didn't expect to. The rest have been trialed, tested or F2P. For the cost there wasn't much to be disappointed about :).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Well, I've never entered any MMO with high expectations and then had them shattered after playing it.  That is to say, according to the most standard definition of "disappointing," I've never quite been disappointed by any MMO.  MMO's generally meet my expectations exactly, or, if I don't have expectations for them, exceed them.  

For my first MMOs, FFXI and eventually WoW, I really went in blind to the genre.  As such, I fell in love with both of them - WoW so much more than FFXI.  Only after leaving FFXI behind was I able to see so many of the flaws of the game, the would-be "disappointments" had I had a better frame of reference.  I stuck with WoW from vanilla all the way through the release of the Lich King encounter, after which I departed for good.  You could say I am disappointed with the direction WoW took, but I loved every bit of the time I spent playing the game.  And while I could dish out a hearty list of issues I think the game has, I still don't think it's a bad game by any means; it was more a matter of me getting tired of it.  

GW2 was my next great MMO love.  I don't think I've ever looked forward to a game more, and I don't really have any regrets doing so.  The game has managed to amaze me in many ways, in an age when I thought the novelty and wonder of MMOs was behind me forever.  The world of Tyria does a lot to immerse me more than any other MMO ever has, and for that I'm grateful.  

I've played lots of other MMOs - Age of Conan, Rift, Dragon's Nest, Aion, Tera, FFXIV, and more - and while none of them caught my attention enough to stay for more than a month or two, I wouldn't say I was disappointed with any of them because, well, as I said earlier, I didn't have high expectations for them in the first place.  But I even enjoyed the brief periods I played each of them.  

I guess my outlook is just generally optimistic and filled with fond memories when it comes to MMOs.  

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Well, that would be WoW, lol.  First of all, because it was the best made one I've played.  Second of all, because it was the first MMO I played.  So I really had nothing to compare it to.  

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

For me that's easy.  It's WoW TBC.  Maybe I would have been less impressed if she hadn't been my first MMO.  But she was, and I was, and the rest for me is history.

In retrospect, I did have a few disappointments.

Rolling on a PVP realm in order to play with friends was clearly not to my liking once I figured out what this meant.

I had to rush to catch up with my friends who were all higher level.  This meant skipping quest text, which was already getting boring anyways, forcing me to skip most of the lore.  Rushing through a game isn't fun.  I find it disappointing that mixed level grouping wasn't more of an option.

Even so, it was fun.  An amazing application of online technology mixed with RPG gaming.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    That's a really interesting way to ask, gets a different answer than usual.  My least disappointing MMO was Wizard 101.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

SWG pre cu.

Still after 11 years head and shoulders above any other current MMO.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Easily SWG. No other game kept my interest as long.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Defiance. There is better game out there that emphasizes my drop in/drop out style of play

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Since I've missed the golden age of MMOs and entered the genre in the middle of vanilla WoW, I'd have to say WAR (other than pre-WotLK WoW). Despite all its bugs and lack of endgame, I was having a blast participating in PQs and RvR. Taking keeps and ambushing others was really fun, and a great way to level. The lore and easter eggs all over the maps were also entertaining. 
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Two games tie on this for me.

1) Vanilla WoW:  I really enjoyed the polish and distinct two faction open world PVP at launch after coming from SWG and how buggy it was.

2) GW2:  Overall just best bang for the buck.  I'm not saying it has the best mechanics or gameplay, but for what I was looking for and not looking for, GW2 delivers.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I would have to say WoW. It delivers what it says it will deliver.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• PoliticaldadPoliticaldad Member UncommonPosts: 134

1) DAoC pre-ToA

2)SWG:ED pre-NGE

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Ffxiv...by far

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    FF14 ARR. Amazed at how good this game is. The crafting alone keeps me interested.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    WoW, simply put.  I still play it after all these years, and still have fun doing so.  I had such high hopes and after the first few months of server crashes and what-not, Blizzard has lived up to my expectations and even exceeded them multiple times.  They gave us free days, so I didn't care about the launch problems.  It's funny to look at today's games, like FFXIV, and how much people cry about launch problems.  Then you go to your account history on WoW, and for the first year it's like 1 free day, 3 free days, 1 free day, 5 free day, 7 free day, etc.  It just makes me laugh.
  • ukforzeukforze Member Posts: 331
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

SWG pre cu.

Still after 11 years head and shoulders above any other current MMO.

For the reasons above & that nothing since comes close by a long shot.

Funny how some people mock SWG, yet 99% of mmo's since have cost WAAY more & lasted a

fraction of the time, than this early pioneer still regarded by many as one of the best mmo's of all

time regardless of it's arguable issues.

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

Vanguard.

Of MMOs I followed closely, Age of Conan was so bad the game was highway robbery. LotRO was a betrayal the likes that hasn't been seen in this industry other than SWG's NGE. Darkfall was pretty good, but lacking.

Vanguard though, while most of the best features were only half finished, it delivered a true MMORPG experience that I hadn't felt since 2001.

• ukforzeukforze Member Posts: 331
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I would have to say WoW. It delivers what it says it will deliver.

Really?

I remember Blizzard promising player housing...

Although Blizzard generally do follow through, they still fall short like others from time to time.

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR