Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: About Those Addons

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Addons are a terrific way to enhance a player's game. In our latest WildStar column, we take a look at how Carbine plans to involve its community with addons. Check it out and then head to the comments.

All of WildStar’s UI components – including the ones Carbine developed itself – are addons built in a scripting language called Lua. It’s been around for roughly twenty years, but gained popularity as the addon language for World of Warcraft. Its straightforward syntax helped to spawn thousands of addons that introduced many new features, with some becoming so popular that they were eventually introduced to the default UI. 

Read more of Gareth Harmer's WildStar: About Those Addons.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Crap...full add-on support.  More deadly boss mods, and hand holding crap.  Interest just dropped to 0.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Every MMO should have a model viewer.  I absolutely love playing with them.
  • daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680
    sad news.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Just another page from the Blizzard playbook for WOW. People shouldn't be surprised, they really are trying to out-wow WOW here, by providing the features that appeal to that audience, Mods most certainly would qualify in this regard.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ZoltosZoltos Member UncommonPosts: 60

I welcome addons! Especially a dmg meter like "Recount".

I want to be able to measure my performance against other player!

Games Played: Anarchy Online,Star Wars Galaxies,WOW,Eve,Darkfall,Vanguard, Fallen Earth,SWTOR,GW2,Tera,ESO,Wildstar, Black Desert, Archeage & Albion Online
    Now playing: Conan Exiles & Rocket League
    Games looking forward to: Diablo 4! & Star Citizen?

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    What is wrong with addons? The abilit to script UI improvements is.very powerful and should be welcome in any MMO. Sorry it can't be 19999 forever but diverse technology is a good thing!
  • neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    Finally a company other than Blizzard that understands how to keep gamers. My interest in this game was low, but that makes it much higher. Maybe they'll care.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• bbqsaucedbbqsauced Member Posts: 2
    For those of you who are interested in actually working on some addons for WildStar, I have a beginner's guide over at Hidden Arena.
  • HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by Zoltos

I welcome addons! Especially a dmg meter like "Recount".

I want to be able to measure my performance against other player!

just guessing recount is a DPS meter, and it is a crap way to meassure your performance with other players (see MMOs should be about playing WITH other people not AGAINST them), atleast in PVE ofc ; )

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by Hatefull
    Crap...full add-on support.  More deadly boss mods, and hand holding crap.  Interest just dropped to 0.
    i have to agree here. mods make people dependent on them and eventually unable to play without them. when wow has a patch and the mods become unusable till they r updated shows this. instead of having a mod tell u when to move or when its coming, how about u just pay attention and learn how to really play. instead of forming a group that can rush through a dungeon because everyones dps is 40k min, how about u learn to play as a group and finish without the guarantee. i have more fun playing when i have to actually play.

and before people bitch about not having enough time to play a dungeon legit or i dont pay $15 a month for epic fail then maybe u should consider playing just console or single player games only.

i used to b one of those wow players that used mods for everything. i used to require players to have xx dps and xx gear score or achievements before even considering u as worthy of playin with me. but then i played other mmo's that had no mods. thats when i realized i had more fun without them. more of a challenge. people were friendlier too. now i would rather play a game without mods. without restrictions.

so im disappointed to see wildstar following the carebear route. i still will try this game as im excited about it. unfortunately they r trying so hard to duplicate wow's success that they r also duplicating many of its failures.

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by silverreign

Originally posted by Hatefull

i have to agree here. mods make people dependent on them and eventually unable to play without them. when wow has a patch and the mods become unusable till they r updated shows this. instead of having a mod tell u when to move or when its coming, how about u just pay attention and learn how to really play. instead of forming a group that can rush through a dungeon because everyones dps is 40k min, how about u learn to play as a group and finish without the guarantee. i have more fun playing when i have to actually play.

and before people bitch about not having enough time to play a dungeon legit or i dont pay $15 a month for epic fail then maybe u should consider playing just console or single player games only.

i used to b one of those wow players that used mods for everything. i used to require players to have xx dps and xx gear score or achievements before even considering u as worthy of playin with me. but then i played other mmo's that had no mods. thats when i realized i had more fun without them. more of a challenge. people were friendlier too. now i would rather play a game without mods. without restrictions.

so im disappointed to see wildstar following the carebear route. i still will try this game as im excited about it. unfortunately they r trying so hard to duplicate wow's success that they r also duplicating many of its failures.

Well Said!

• HEKKRAHEKKRA Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by Tekaelon
    What is wrong with addons? The abilit to script UI improvements is.very powerful and should be welcome in any MMO. Sorry it can't be 19999 forever but diverse technology is a good thing!

Because people can only play with flashy points and arrows on their screen instead of playing the game and paying attention.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

I will compare to WoW because in the case of Wildstar, it's actually relevant.

The problem with dmg meters are that at some point this becomes the main point of a dungeon, if you aren't top or close to top, you'll be reminded not to slack by the """winning""" player.

WoW right now is pretty much all about iLvL or (Gearscore) and dmg meters, everyone that has a lower iLvL than you is a scrub, and everyone that have a higher iLvL is a nolifer, and everyone  pastes their dmg meters after every dungeon to show that they """won""".

I will play Wildstar when it launces, so I'm not just a hater, I just dislike a lot of addons because in some cases it affects the entire game and the entire community, not just those using the addons.

• krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106

It amazes me how often i read, in comments and forums, people who complain about such things as Add-on's, game mechanics "holding thier hands" , and things of this nature.  I see tons of complaints, yet when i play these games what i don't see is all these people who complain about how people play a game, teaching people how to play them better. Meaning they tend to be jerks without backing it up with actions that matter.  Don't complain about others whom, pay to play thier own way versus your way, when you don't spend any time in game running guilds, clans, or organizations, that teach and train people how you prefer them to play.  

There was a time when you were new and didn't know what to do, the difference is, you had community's to help you, others who would share info on where to go, what to do, how to achieve things, which in itself, was a different type of "Add-on" you seldom get in a game today.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by krondin

It amazes me how often i read, in comments and forums, people who complain about such things as Add-on's, game mechanics "holding thier hands" , and things of this nature.  I see tons of complaints, yet when i play these games what i don't see is all these people who complain about how people play a game, teaching people how to play them better. Meaning they tend to be jerks without backing it up with actions that matter.  Don't complain about others whom, pay to play thier own way versus your way, when you don't spend any time in game running guilds, clans, or organizations, that teach and train people how you prefer them to play.  

There was a time when you were new and didn't know what to do, the difference is, you had community's to help you, others who would share info on where to go, what to do, how to achieve things, which in itself, was a different type of "Add-on" you seldom get in a game today.

because finding a new Player that has the same ethics and morals as Players years ago is getting tough. What is acceptable to young people is not acceptable to us older folk, simple stuff... like trash talk... as far as I am concerned it belongs in the FPS games, take it with you when you go, or ninja looting for example, people think people "deserve this" if they can pull it off... I call foul on that one, or hey what about the DPS guys running ahead and not listening to the Tank and Healer who are saying "stay with us, let's work as a team".

All of these examples are part of a whole of the problem and perhaps you can see THAT last one is a big part that fits WHY People don't help new Players anymore.... too many of them are out for themselves and they won't function as a member of a Team while in Group for a dungeon/Mission/Instance. They don't want to work together with others, nor are they there to enjoy the other Player's company and companionship... no... they are there for themselves. They race thru the dungeon/mission/instance as fast as they can, or the bale out without warning. Why help new Players learn when they are going to screw you one way or the other? (Same in society in general now, but we are talking MMOs, so I will stay on topic.)

THAT's why us older Players don't take the time to help the new Players anymore. The MMO Publishers are Targeting the wrong Player audience and the MMOs are getting Players that have no real desire to play the game for a cooperative multiplayer online game experience It's all about what they can get on their own. If the MMO Publishers targeted the Players that wanted to play a cooperative group online game the MMO genre would still be a lot like it was years ago except for the added rudeness society now thinks is acceptable. Not all Players are created the same, not all Players are well suited to play MMOs.

I really believe this is a huge part of what is wrong in the MMO genre today, as we Players have no real control over this part, we are at the mercy of the MMO Publishers and their Marketers. We can't fix this one.

That's why you have the complaints you do krondin. Submit them to your local MMO Publisher. MMOs are NOW in part what they are because the MMO Publishers failed to attract Players that WANT to work together like Players used to years ago. That's what happens when you go for the "largest customer base".

Not everything in the world that can be a Business should be a Business, and MMOs are one of many perfect examples of this.

@Original Article, and about the Add-Ons... I never have like them, I see them a potential "hack" mods and always have (in other words a potential source of game cheat), but if the WildStar Devs keep a very close eye on this I am willing to adjust my particular playstyle and not come un-glued about these. LotRO has them and I have none for that game, but my rl friend has the Port Assistant one for Hunters and it's a great add-on with how many Ports Hunters have to use.... so I guess I can check these out and see how it goes. Old dog learning a new trick.

• SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade
    Originally posted by krondin

because finding a new Player that has the same ethics and morals as Players years ago is getting tough. What is acceptable to young people is not acceptable to us older folk, simple stuff... like trash talk... as far as I am concerned it belongs in the FPS games, take it with you when you go, or ninja looting for example, people think people "deserve this" if they can pull it off... I call foul on that one, or hey what about the DPS guys running ahead and not listening to the Tank and Healer who are saying "stay with us, let's work as a team".

All of these examples are part of a whole of the problem and perhaps you can see THAT last one is a big part that fits WHY People don't help new Players anymore.... too many of them are out for themselves and they won't function as a member of a Team while in Group for a dungeon/Mission/Instance. They don't want to work together with others, nor are they there to enjoy the other Player's company and companionship... no... they are there for themselves. They race thru the dungeon/mission/instance as fast as they can, or the bale out without warning. Why help new Players learn when they are going to screw you one way or the other? (Same in society in general now, but we are talking MMOs, so I will stay on topic.)

THAT's why us older Players don't take the time to help the new Players anymore. The MMO Publishers are Targeting the wrong Player audience and the MMOs are getting Players that have no real desire to play the game for a cooperative multiplayer online game experience It's all about what they can get on their own. If the MMO Publishers targeted the Players that wanted to play a cooperative group online game the MMO genre would still be a lot like it was years ago except for the added rudeness society now thinks is acceptable.

I really believe this is a huge part of what is wrong in the MMO genre today, as we Players have no real control over this part, we are at the mercy of the MMO Publishers and their Marketers. We can't fix this one.

That's why you have the complaints you do krondin. Submit them to your local MMO Publisher. MMOs are NOW in part what they are because the MMO Publishers failed to attract Players that WANT to work together like Players used to years ago. That's what happens when you go for the "largest customer base".

I agree with all of that. ^---       ...(And on a side note, I'd be surprised if you were UNDER 30 years of age hehe.) Mainly because, us "older" players, no matter how you look at it, will always know how it "use to be". Make fun of that all you like, in the end you know it as fact. There is a difference in a player who's first MMO was Ultima or EQ1 rather than it being WOW.  

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Just another page from the Blizzard playbook for WOW. People shouldn't be surprised, they really are trying to out-wow WOW here, by providing the features that appeal to that audience, Mods most certainly would qualify in this regard.

Another MMO Gamer that doesnt realize that WoW was not the first MMORPG to allow AddOns. Infact most of the tech for WoW was because of MMO's that came before it.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Alders
    Every MMO should have a model viewer.  I absolutely love playing with them.

Nope there are a LOT of problems with add-ons and other various ideas.I realize there are a lot of naive people that really don't know what goes on in games but for one add-ons lead to cheating.

I will use an  example from other games with model viewers.Players used the models to change models inside of game for cheating reasons.Example a smallish boss could be changed to a large boss for easier visibility of the spawn.Players also use those to change the looks of items in game,you might think nothing of it,but there is reason developers always disallow it.I could make a small assumption as to why,players end up breaking game code then cry to the dev to fix problems that should never arise.

Another is once you are allowed access you could use it to view a NEW item that maybe the game did not want discovered yet,ruining the excitement for players that like to discover new stuff in a game.

Sure cheats will always find a way to get information on items to manipulate without a model viewer .IMO ALL game files should be completely hidden that way there is less chance for cheats to get a hold of them.I can use even another example just allowing players to touch game .ini files,user files.They can manipulate stats in there to cause lag cheats that could also cheat the way a player moves as well.One example is that FAKE lag could make it near impossible to hit a player with twitch combat and could possibly warp a player through a wall.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Addons are the reason the genre is what it is now. Blizzard didn't create the things people hate. Players who wanted to create convenience for themselves did.

Who made questhelper?

Who made deadlybossmods?

Who made GEAR F'ing SCORE?

Who made ability timers?

Who made proc overlays?

Players. The handholding came from players. True enough Blizzard incorporated them into the official game, but only because once something reaches a certain usage threshold (aka enough of the playerbase is using it) that they need to intervene so people don't feel required to go out and download a 3rd party mod to just play the game.

All those handholding mods are now industry standards for MMO's, I wish they had never been created.

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Hopefully there will be a gear-score so we can filter out the scrubs from the pros.
  • Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I think certain add ons are wonderful , they help improve the game, but others really do wreck the game, One of the addons I despise the most is recount. Then all people care about is their DPS and forget to do things like CC, or decurse or stuns and many others things in a fight that help you win it that does not involve DPS .
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Entropy14
    I think certain add ons are wonderful , they help improve the game, but others really do wreck the game, One of the addons I despise the most is recount. Then all people care about is their DPS and forget to do things like CC, or decurse or stuns and many others things in a fight that help you win it that does not involve DPS .

Add-ons that don't replace player skill are all good. But when you get into Dps Meters, DBM, etc that is where I really can't support it. I raided in WoW and several other games for years without any artificial help. Learn your class and learn to play, don't rely on outside help to get you through it. It's a moot point anyway, no one likes a challenge any more, they want their loots served up as fast as possible, without any effort or interrupting their facebook/twitter/twitch session.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

I do in a way agree, but i think people are jumping the gun here. What works in WoW doesn't mean it will work here, because there not the same game (even tho some refuse to believe). A better combat system to compare it to is Tera, as they both require every attack to be aimed and dodged. Recount works well in Wow because you need and can stand still for a good few minutes, dealing constant damage to the boss. In wildstar if you want an exact reading, your first going to have to land every hit while also avoiding all the bosses telegraphs attacks, and from what I've seen that's like 90% of the attacks. There maybe someone who will create a feature which could monitor your dps, but i don't think it will be very effective as it is in Wow or very highly sought after.

As for DMB, it would be pointless since you can avoid most of the ability's, to me DMB was more to help with dots placed on you or when you haven't moved out of crap, but considering the whole idea behind combat in wildstar is to dodge and keep moving, it would be pointless making DMB type add-on. Plus if the end game raid boss are not scripted.

Apart from those two add-ons, I don't see much wrong with mods or add-on, they won't really effect anyone as you probably won't know they have it. Just my thoughts. Don't think people should drop something due to add-ons and before we even know if those certain add-on will be introduced or even work well.

Hopefully makes sense, just woke up lol

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    GW2 isn't perfect, but I haven't missed add-ons. I much prefer the 'you're dead because you suck' mechanic versus 'you suck because Recount says you do'.
  • seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

Well i never was kicked form WoW dungeons or raids when it came to recount dps meter but again i can see where some are very tired of those addon's because of the fact that others elitist will start like 1 poster said filter the scrubs as they call them.

Some play for fun while others it is a second job for them and don't like people having fun they only like people to pulls out the biggest numbers or have the best gear all around.

Hopefully Wildstar won't be a game of who gets the biggest numbers or the best gear there is. then i think people wont mind the addon's. 

Some that are helpful are the one's for bag space and to re-work the UI the way you like it or to help with keeping track of AH economy etc.

Regarding DBM it is too early to say. People still needs to have access to the dungeons and raids if any at end game to be able to make the data available and also learn the full mastery of those said raids and dungeons.

I really hope they don't ban addon's  just that they make it in a way that the elitist don't get away again with it in this game like they did in WoW by kicking player's because that player is in regular gear the others in BOA and thinks the regular player can top meters like them. Would be fun to see them now on the other side of the fence.