Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When are you too old to play MMOs/Games . . . .

KuriouzKuriouz Member UncommonPosts: 25

Can you be too old to play MMOs. I usually play F2p games and can't help but wonder sometimes, I might be too old to play games. Other players who are probably younger wondering why is someone in their 30s playing MMOs.

What do you guys think, if you're old should you stop playing games. How many adults do you think around 30+ play MMOs.

Comments

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Im 32.

I do forget that I am probably playing with people who are a lot younger than me. I forget because I am playing a game and my inner child is probably really enjoying himself and you just forget about age.

If their capable of thinking for themselves I'm not to bothered about age.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

I don't think age should matter if you don't think it should matter.

I don't think one can be too old to play games though I do think one can approach these games in a way that is childish.

So approach it like an adult.

Take care of your responsibilities, know when to take a break or stop, know how much money you should be spending, make sure you make time for the people who are important in your day to day life, comport yourself like an "adult", etc.

There is a guy in my guild who I believe is in his late 70's.

Yes, there are people who think video games are childish and there are reasons for that thinking. Though I believe that part of it is that there are a lot of "childish" people playing video games who are vocal and somewhat taint the activity for those of us who are more mature in day to day life.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I'm 37, and I'm too old to play MMORPGs. Ahh well. I barely have time to play nowadays anyways....it's just more of a comfort thing when I have the time now.

Joined - July 2004

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    It's not age that kills it, it's bitterness towards change.  If you can avoid the whole " everything was better back in my day" thing, you can play games forever...or till you die. Whichever comes first.
  • gambe1gambe1 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Until your wife lets's you (if you have one), or until you have enough time to play them
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    I think the only appropriate and honest answer I could give in response to the question, and this is highly personal, would be: never. You're never too old to play games, whatever variety that may entail.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by remyburke
    I'm 37, and I'm too old to play MMORPGs. Ahh well. I barely have time to play nowadays anyways....it's just more of a comfort thing when I have the time now.

Getting my kids through High School has freed up a lot of time for me. Now if I could just finish my second run of college, I'll have lots of time for all the gaming I could ever want. In the meantime, the games on Steam keep piling up, just waiting. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• swedagoswedago Member UncommonPosts: 78
    I am 48..  Been playing MMOs since everquest 1 in MAR 1999.  I do not see a time when I will be too old.  It let's the kid inside me enjoy myself
  • arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Maybe till the day I can't see clearly or too slow in my reaction.

RIP Orc Choppa

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    No such thing
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

30+ is a common age group if not the second most common MMO age group.  Mid 20s is the most common age group for MMOs.  I think around 35 years old (and women) were the most common demographic for casual games.

I've seen people who were 50+ playing MMOs and were decent enough players.  I'm sure you can find videos of 60-70 year olds playing hardcore games well.  There is a 99 year old in Japan who plays Bomberman and has essentially mastered it.

So to answer your question:  there should be no age limit or recommended age for when you should stop playing games.  I personally don't intend to stop playing video games till I die or become physically (or mentally) incapable of playing them.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    When you are dead

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• StuperstingStupersting Member Posts: 31
    The majority of my friends on mmo's are 25-35, but I have played with people much older, my oldest friend being 72. Age makes no difference to games like mmorpgs. Its the personality, not the age.
  • FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by Kuriouz

Can you be too old to play MMOs. I usually play F2p games and can't help but wonder sometimes, I might be too old to play games. Other players who are probably younger wondering why is someone in their 30s playing MMOs.

What do you guys think, if you're old should you stop playing games. How many adults do you think around 30+ play MMOs.

You're worrying about what others in your surroundings have to say.

Do they get to make decisions for you? Whose life is it? Is what they're doing any better any way? They shouldn't judge. People need to start looking at their own pitiful lives.

At the end of the day it's your life. 

Why do I live? I think I live to find happiness. If what makes me happy is whittling away playing something imaginary, who cares? Am I hurting anybody?

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

You are too old when you don't have time to play games any longer, I don't think there is an age limit.

Games are a time sink in general, for others are an hobby, and you don't quit your hobby just because you are too old.

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

Never. If I stop gaming, I will have lost a fundamental core of myself that couldn't be replaced unless we were invaded by aliens and I could vent my frustration in a continual murderous rampage that wouldn't end until I dropped enough KEWs on their home planets to crack them in half.

But mostly because it's a great source of inspiration and enjoyment to me. I play a game, I think of what the writers and people thought and intended while they were making it, see if any good ideas speak to me, and possibly see if they inspire me to write anything useful in my scribblings that I hope will one day become a novel.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Try EvE, you'll see a lot of older guys (and gals) around. When you are 30+, have family and a decent job (or just a job) you'll treat MMOs (and gaming in general) as a hobby.

Heck, my brother in his mid thirties, have four kids and still playing MMO. Granted not as hardcore as before but still plays.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

I'm nearly 38 yo and have played computer games in one form or the other before i was on my teens; that makes almost 30 years of gaming (doh).

I'm not sure why i should give up any of my hobbies just because of aging; heck, gaming is one of them i can still do when i need a cane for walking. :)

• pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs
    When you are dead

+1

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    I don't think there's any age when a person is too old to have fun.

• battlewagonbattlewagon Member UncommonPosts: 17

Over the years I have been in many guilds in a number of games.  Most were specifically geared for adults.  Now I am in my early 40s and I still play ... some.  Not as much as I did in my early days though.  Part of the problem is that I lack the speed I once had.  I can remember playing hours on the original Diablo.  I even went so far as to replace an optical drive and two mice simply because the game killed them.  Two many hours reading the CD and far too many clicks on a mouse on a game that required an endless number of "clicks".

But as I grow older I have come to realize that I simply don't have the hand and eye coordination I once did.  Plus my fingers, hands, and wrists tend to ache within minutes of entering an entense fight with another player or mob boss.  The days where I could spend 6 hours trying to beat Molten Core in WoW are gone.  Now days a 30 min secession is likely pushing my luck regardless of what I am playing.

But then again some games are truly designed for us old farts.  I still play rounds of Arms of Valiant Alliance and even though I have yet to drop a single dime into the game I generally walk away with some of the highest kill numbers of the match.  It isn't about sitting there and madly "clicking" away.  It also isn't about stealth and getting a kill shot that nobody saw coming.  It is instead about a game where you take your time, aim your shots, and make every round count.  Let the young bloods stupidly charge in with some vain zig zag move to avoid getting shot.  Or crouching which slows them down considerably.  And after they have done the same thing 20 times with no success, they go and claim that the old fart who sent them to their respawn point is cheating or using some mod.

I just shrug and go with it.  No cheating necessary.  They are just careless players who are playing a game in much the same way they play their real lives - with reckless abondanment. 

At some point I will likely have to give up gaming completely.  But hopefully I will be an old and feable senior by then and won't even remember that I gave it all up.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

You're never too old to play video games period, as long as you don't care what other people think you should or shouldn't do.  However, that can be said for just about anything.  There's always someone that will happily tell you what you shouldn't be doing.  Those people should remove themselves from the gene pool.

I do believe that a lot of people hit a point somewhere in the late 20s to the early 40s where they have an urge to do something with their life.  Accomplishments in video games are pretty meaningless and they certainly don't fit the "something" for me.  When you get that urge to do something, the time to do it has to come from somewhere.  It's probably going to come from time allotted to entertainment.  So you put less time into video games and MMOs in particular, following this thread.

It's also worth noting that this phenomenon (if it's true... I don't have any real data to draw conclusions from other than personal experience) could be the cause of the "casualization" of MMOs.  Lots of your previous audience is sinking less time into entertainment, but they still want to feel like they are accomplishing something.  It wasn't really possible to accomplish anything worthwhile in old MMOs without sinking some serious hours.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I'll stop gaming when they pry my cold dead fingers off of my laptop in the nursing home. image

Which at 56 is uncomfortably closer than I care to think about. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I'm 30 and I play MMOs much differently than I used to.

Not at all consistently, few hours here and there.

I still squeeze in a solid binge marathon every now and again, but that's mostly because my fiance is in school and has night classes and homework/papers on the weekend.

Once she is done with school and at some point later when we have kids, my MMO time will probably go down to a couple of hours between when we put the kid(s) to sleep and when I go to sleep.

Which also is another reason I sold off the dedicated gaming PC I built and now just play "casually" on a laptop. Allows me to still be in the room and somewhat "involved" while she is doing stuff or watching her TV etc.

The days of rushing home from work Mon-Thur to log in and farm mats/whatever for the 6-10 or 11 or 12 raid nights is long, long gone.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.