Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stop me if you've heard this one before

2»

Comments

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

wow better be a great game,  at such a high budget, this could indeed be the death knell for the industry if it does not do well.

:/

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Of course it is, they're spending so much time scrambling trying to cram singleplayer like elements into an MMO. They should have stuck with making it a DAoC clone and the costs would be lower and the product would be better.
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Miklosan
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Cryrodill better be amazing :(    Hopefully Cyrodill will be good but what happens if it's not!?    

See TORtanic for the answer.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

im just afraid they wont be financially able to produce new content for a loooooooooooong time until they have recovered their cost.

honestly i also think that might be the reason why they are pushing it out now so suddenly (probably suddenly for the most of us)-  no more money...and we all know what unfinished mmo's can potentially lead to...

• A1learjetA1learjet Member UncommonPosts: 258

Pfffft    that site trying to start a new Trend New Years Fool Day?  that story has a much info as a box  full of air.

I see anyone can 2 paragraph's and call It a story with nothing to back it  geez  pure c r ap

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    Originally posted by Miklosan
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Cryrodill better be amazing :(    Hopefully Cyrodill will be good but what happens if it's not!?    

See TORtanic for the answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrQcNwsjVEQ

^^^Early front runner for video link of the year.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by skeaser
    Depends where the money went. SWTOR spent a big bit on voice acting, knowing Bethesda they only have 4-5 actors for the whole game anyway and they don't even bother trying to make their voice sound different.

Apparently, Skyrim has over 70 different voice actors (this include voice actors for different languages). 

I've nothing else to say, just thought I'd point this out.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

I honestly don't know if the rumor is on target or not but it doesn't bode well. It would help explain the business model selection though. I wonder what has happened in the MMO game industry lately that we can't get an online RPG on time and within budget from the larger and more established publishers and studios that's actually worth what they spent? It really has gotten ridiculous the past several years with three month wonders flopping time after time. Don't get me started on SWTOR and it was engine redevelopment more than voice acting that threw them for a loop. Considering I wonder if something similar is true for TESO because I question the content return per dime otherwise.  As much as I would love to see a good MMORPG hit the market, I wouldn't invest in one right now with my own dollars as the returns simply haven't been worth it for years outside of GW2.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Its the outsourcing of technologies and solutions from third party's that drive the cost up. Just saying.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Doesn't surprise me. Given what they are aiming to deliver, that seems about right. A huge Cyrodiil that is as big as Skyrim (the game) itself with cities, keeps, public dungeons, the Imperial City, the battle with Molag Bal and his minions over it, resource nodes, siege battles, and scripted quests? And that is only one province. Now add three more, all with AAA pve content and far-flung exploration. Sounds pricey when you are aiming to deliver a beefy PvP game and a content-loaded pve game, all with voice acting. I am not sure why this is surprising, tbh.
  • FrankVLucasFrankVLucas Member UncommonPosts: 45

I would think, that some part of the development cost went towards building different versions of the game for Xbox1 and PS4, as well as the PC.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Nephelai
    Originally posted by Krashner
    Originally posted by Nephelai
    Originally posted by Lyrian
    Until we start to see development budgets of 1 billion dollars. I don't expect to see an improvement in the genre.

Agree and a subscription increase to pay for more frequent quality updates. This $5 per week thing aiming at students/unemployed (plus internet entitlelists that think everything should be free) that has gone on for over a decade is holding everything back. Put up the price, push 80% of the population back to Farmville and the whole MMO scene will be better off.

After all, I spend about $15 per week to see a new movie (Inc food etc) and I'd pay the same for a decent MMO.

Only $15 a week? Too many casuals can still afford that, let's double that to $30 a week and increase the box price of the game and expansions to $100 each. That'll help keep those filthy casuals out.

My point was about removing people not willing to pay a fair price for quality entertainment not casuals.

You should go work for SOE, same mentality, it did wonders for their MMOs in the past, all dead.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by artemisentr4
    Originally posted by Fearum
    The story part was fun in SWtOR there just wasnt anything at all to do after you were done it and the PvP was crap. If they can make a good story and have good PvP I think it will be better in the long run.

TOR spent the money in the right place. The stories are great. They were just clueless about end game in a MMO.

8 x class Stories in MMOs are not sustainable, glad they got rid of that insane model. Everyone who was involved in that decision was most likely "laid off", that was the only good decision in my opinion.

They had Star Fox instead of a space sim. but they had voiceovers!

They had dead static planets.. but they had voiceovers!

They didn´t have longterm content.. but they had voiceovers!

great way to waste 200+ million on a single player wannabe MMO 

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

never understood why it matters to a gamer how much a game costs to make. as if spending more money automatically makes it worse?

• SoulTrapOnSelfSoulTrapOnSelf Member Posts: 190

PvE and classes suck.. Maybe the PvP crowd will save this game for at least 6 months. Hopefully there are enough players to take keeps so players can become emperors, otherwise it's gonna be /ragequit. Then comes F2P.

edit: wait, 200mil? and no underwater exploration? I guess they will have to remove the underwater breathing ability to Argonians

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Depends where the money went. SWTOR spent a big bit on voice acting, knowing Bethesda they only have 4-5 actors for the whole game anyway and they don't even bother trying to make their voice sound different.

They should hire a couple of impressionists like rory bremner then the voices would sound different image

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,374

Just a rumor at this point, best to wait for some better substantiation.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by artemisentr4
    Originally posted by Fearum
    The story part was fun in SWtOR there just wasnt anything at all to do after you were done it and the PvP was crap. If they can make a good story and have good PvP I think it will be better in the long run.

TOR spent the money in the right place. The stories are great. They were just clueless about end game in a MMO.

8 x class Stories in MMOs are not sustainable, glad they got rid of that insane model. Everyone who was involved in that decision was most likely "laid off", that was the only good decision in my opinion.

They had Star Fox instead of a space sim. but they had voiceovers!

They had dead static planets.. but they had voiceovers!

They didn´t have longterm content.. but they had voiceovers!

great way to waste 200+ million on a single player wannabe MMO 

The Class stories were the best part of the game. They should have continued with the class 8 class stories, would have kept players coming back for just continuing the story. They put the money in the right spot for leveling. It was a failed attempt at end game and the engine that caused the problems. Bad features have nothing to do with spending on voiceovers.

As far as the 200 million for ESO, looks like it was BS.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Bethesda aren't developing it. I wish they were since I would prefer bad voice acting and have a real ES game.

My blog: image