Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why you quit your favorite MMO....... and why you won't come back.

Comments

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

DAoC.

EA moved the team off to other projects, but made it too much like WoW before they left, among other things.

Vanguard - WoWified, no development team.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

FFXI: My absolute all-time favorite MMO (to date). Hands down. No question.

Quit after the first Abyssea expansion launched and it became evident how SE was changing the direction of the game, which in turn changed how it was played, and what people focused on. It essentially killed the game that I'd spent almost 8 years at that point playing and enjoying.

Won't Go Back Because... The game is simply too far removed from the one I enjoyed. I actually did go back again to give it an honest go, to try and play the game as much in my own way as I could. However, it was just too disappointing trying to shoe-horn that playstyle into a game that clearly didn't support it anymore. To make matters worse, SE has decided to take the game completely off the deep end by hyper-casualizing it and turning it (along with FFXIV) into a cross-marketing platform to promote their other games. The FFXI I loved and "lived in" for all those years is officially dead; there's nothing to go back to.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by Xthos

VG - Started on the team PvP server, then it was merged with the FFA PvP server, then they seemed to have trouble not breaking PvE or PvP when they did fixes for one side or the other, so they decided that they were not going to work on PvP anymore, until they had PvE working right....Which meant never pretty much.  PvP people left (right before AoC, so they all thought it would be what they wanted) and it became a ghost town on the PvP server.  We could transfer, but it seemed like missing part of the game to do so.  SoE also kept saying they were going to do a relaunch and support just kept getting less and less, so I figured no point in spending time in a mmo that it looks like SoE is abandoning.

Wow, someone else who remembers Varking. In Vanguard Team PvP days, no MMORPG came close to touching it. Even if it was brought back today it would still be the best Sandbox experience out there bar none.

Isaiah 41:10
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Talemire

VG - Started on the team PvP server, then it was merged with the FFA PvP server, then they seemed to have trouble not breaking PvE or PvP when they did fixes for one side or the other, so they decided that they were not going to work on PvP anymore, until they had PvE working right....Which meant never pretty much.  PvP people left (right before AoC, so they all thought it would be what they wanted) and it became a ghost town on the PvP server.  We could transfer, but it seemed like missing part of the game to do so.  SoE also kept saying they were going to do a relaunch and support just kept getting less and less, so I figured no point in spending time in a mmo that it looks like SoE is abandoning.

Wow, someone else who remembers Varking. In Vanguard Team PvP days, no MMORPG came close to touching it. Even if it was brought back today it would still be the best Sandbox experience out there bar none.

Yeah was a good time, I did the crafting, harvesting, pve, raiding,  diplomacy and pvp, was nice to be able to get on and decide to do something different whenever I wanted, with the world being so big and VG having a lot of quality/depth in the systems.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by Antiquated
    Originally posted by ste2000

If SoE would overhaul EQ UI and would update the graphics, I would go back and play it...

...for a little while. Eventually, maybe take an honest assessment, and depart as so many others have done in the various other titles "classic" servers?

Look I played EQ2 for 4 years straight (taking few months break) and if it wasn't for RoK I would still playing it.

Sure you would.

So I would play EQ if it had a decent UI and sligtly better graphics, I am serious.

Sure you would.

I am not kidding by saying that if I like a MMO I could stay for life............... I don't enjoy hopping from game to game every month, that's not what MMOs are all about (for me).

Uh huh, ok.

I know that I don't talk for the majority, but I am not the only one that think about MMOs as a  long term commitment.

Until the next game comes along.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by Talemire

Yeah was a good time, I did the crafting, harvesting, pve, raiding,  diplomacy and pvp, was nice to be able to get on and decide to do something different whenever I wanted, with the world being so big and VG having a lot of quality/depth in the systems.

Lol I got so many crafting kills it wasn't even funny :-D You could lose hours on end just stirring up Order or Shadow cities just with 1 other person if you were good enough!

Isaiah 41:10
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by DMKano
    Sometimes games just change so much overtime that going back feels like a different game which I don't like (example WoW - I enjoyed vanilla, the current state of the game has zero appeal to me).
    This is a big one for me. I still poke around IN EQ every now and again, but so much has changed in the game, I lose interest fast and log back out. My main goal right now is to get my free characters to level 20 and a last name. We'll see what happens after that happens :)

City of Heroes: Closed its doors. No going back :)

World of Warcraft: Changed too much. Missing now is what I enjoyed in the game my first run through.

Guild Wars 1: The difference between Pre-Searing and Post-Searing was a shock to my eyes. I played the snot out of it in the Pre-Searing time, though :)

Guild Wars 2: Bored with it. No inclination to ever log back in.

Final Fantasy XIV:ARR: Not a big enough Final Fantasy fan. Nothing about the game grabbed me when I played.

Those are the main MMOs I have not gone back to.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

EQ 1:

Quit- Lost Dungeons expansion ruined the game

Why you won't come back- Current expansions are cashgrabs with very little content, UI and combat log is awful.

FFXI:

Quit- They used job changing as an excuse to leave half the jobs useless for years

Why you won't come back- Forced to play jobs you hate to get gear for the jobs you don't

Vanguard:

Quit- game is on autopilot, employee turnover is faster then McDonalds, infinite bugs

Why you won't come back- same reason I quit

WoW:

Quit- burnt out, content getting too similar

Why you won't come back- blizzard only cares about Titan now

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

City of Heroes. Because NCsoft sucks and killed it off and refused to sell it to another company.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    So far I have not quit any of my two favorite MMO's, Wow and Swtor. But for sure i do breaks from time to time which is normal. No matter how much I love i.e. pizza, can not eat it every day 5 times per day for years and years ... That would be insane. :-)
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

i didn't quit my favorite mmo. i am still playing it, that's why it's my favorite mmo :P

i DID quit some older mmos tho, which have been quite fun too....

mostly because my guild stopped playing that particular game (i am not a guild hopper, i play with my guys or dont play usualy)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

QUIT: World of Warcraft...played it for 7 years.

Wont come back, why?: Its become too hand held, and childish. The game has just went down hill and offers too many "helping" features that make the game boring and repetative. I mean comon the dungeon finder?! More like "youll never have to like the capital again to lvl or do anything!" finder. The game has just become waaay to easy and boring...everything is cut n paste...

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Good Thread.. 

I know some of us have been down this road before, however for those that are new to the website.. Here are my views and "OPNIONS".. 

EverQuest:   Loved the game from an AD&D point of view.. I loved the food and drink requirement.. weight encumbrances.. along with other skills and whatnots..  Add in all the roles to be played such as tank, heals, buffs, debuffs, CC, pulling, kiting.. I love them all..    I left EQ after PoP expansion.. Too many nerfs, too many progression restrictions.. The game started changing at it's core..

World of Warcraft:  Loved the game for the most part.. Not as good as EQ was, but was a good alternative..  I left because of the exclusive instanced hamster wheel end game.. I hated that.. 

Rift & SWTOR along with others are just more themepark hamster wheels..

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Because some are not even good games? Because every piece of entertainment product becomes boring sooner or later? Case in point:

UO - horrible griefing .. quit at beta

EQ - horrible camping, too much down-time, quit after a year

I find it funny that you champion the fact that old MMOs were bad... yet the one you constantly complain about the most, UO, you never actually even played the released version of. And then you pretend all pre wow mmos had the same camping issues EQ did.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Only played two MMOs for a long stint of time,

SWG:  Obvious reasons

TSW:  My most recent game of more than 1-2 months, I lasted over a year in this game with a month or so break twice inbetween.  The winter holiday event drove the nail into the coffin, just got tired of the same old massive monster event and nothing new once I did all it had to offer, even got 10ish 10k kill achievements.  The game is enjoyable and my son still gets me to log on about once a week for 15 minutes or so, but other than that I'll stick to other games for the time being.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Thane

i didn't quit my favorite mmo. i am still playing it, that's why it's my favorite mmo :P

Good to hear that, you are a rare species or a lucky one image

Dare I ask what's the game you are talking about?

• DrelkagDrelkag Member UncommonPosts: 56

Final Fantasy XI - Played from beginning of highschool until just after the Abyssea trilogy add ons. Why I quit? Because they ruined the perfect horizontal progression of endgame. After years of having it right they have a set path through endgame, item levels and all.

Final Fantasy XIV - Played from launch until ~ patch 1.21. Why I quit? Because it, just as FFXI around the same time, was turned to a 'modern' MMO with its restricted classes, linear questing and tiered endgame. Appreciated the system fixes (no more UI lag, a decent KB+M interface, etc) but they pretty much stripped out all that I liked (relying on crafters for gear, mending and repairing gear, any class can wear any gear, weighty character movement, the stamina gauge, etc).

Mabinogi (been playing since NA launch) and Ultima (on and off for a few years now) are the last two games that offer a slight sandbox experience but still entertaining to play (sorry EVE). Here's to hoping they won't get closed/changed drastically in 2014.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Mortal Online.

Because it's STILL a piece of crap.

i was hoping the crap would become compost, and maybe rich soil....

...i was wrong. 

• cyriciancyrician Member UncommonPosts: 189

Ahh where to start. Let's put this in context I currently have the following-installed on my rig. This doesn't include all my SOE games.

GW2

- played for  3 months on and off replayed about 10 minutes ago .

Left the first time cause I had too many games to play . Went back cause a mate at work asked me to.

Lotro-  ahh a Saga 

Played for 2 years left cause of free to play  and bad community 

Came back cause of yearly subs and fantastic expansions Helms deep best ever.

Eden eternal-

Left because of bad patching and gameplay , came back cause of brilliant class system.

eve online-

left because of crappy skill systems came back because of improved skill system.

asherons Call 1. Pending

Asherons call 2 pending

Dark fall-

best game ever left cause I can only afford 5 subs the 6th one had to go.

Neverwinternights- last time I saw real rp . Shame played for 10 years game was the last game that didn't sugar coat players 

bad community

Rift- pending

swtor- cause of f2p and the most boring game ever light sabers appeal lasted a while 3 months.

D and d online -

Feels like it's all. Even done before. Don't like hubs no exploring.

Current games;
    Star treck online
    Rift
    Eve online
    Firefall

• ashdrakeashdrake Member UncommonPosts: 3

Astonia 3 - First MMO I played when i was like 12 or so

AO - First MMO, played for about 3-4 years, quit due to school and not enough time to play last expansion was alien invasion when i quit ( you could find AO prepay cards in my country at that time )

WoW - played for 3-4 months, didnt really get into it, quit due to being a pain to pay at the beginning (no prepay card where I live)

Eve-Online - Quit due to being to young for that game and getting upset over things

LoTRO - Quit due to the fact that game was deserted, the expansion pack after Mines of Moria or the last patch that added that forest city was a bunch of repeatable quest bs, guild disbanded because we always wiped on the watcher and gearing people with radiance only to see them leave to a better more progressed guild was too much. played for about 6-7months or so cant remember

AoC - Played I htink for about a year or so, quit due to not enough stuff to do, was raiding all the content at that time, kinda had a rough time with life and we kinda drifted apart

RIFT - played for about a year, raided a lot, made some friends, guild disbanded due to drama, new guild was not as progressed while at the same time i was having some financial troubles so i couldnt really afford to spend time playing games (it was never about the amount of money $15 is nothing, you can get a meal here for $15 but that sabout it )

TERA - Didnt really get into it, played for about 2 weeks or so

Aion - back in v2, bought the game, played until like level 16 or so and then found out that I have to grind quests, was a shitty thing, good thing i bought it on a special

GW 2 - played it pretty much at release, took a half year break, currently playing it again just to see all the areas and experience as much as possible from the exisiting content.

TSW - Loved the game, blasting zombies with a shotgun in Kingsmouth was one of the most hilarious things i ever saw in an MMO. Played it pretty much at lease for 2-3 months, put that on break to play GW2 with significant other, then found out TSW went buy to play. Played it and I finished all the missions recently, and unfortunately i do not really want to spend time raiding in that game.

Currently playing

final fantasy 14 (free bundle with an intel cpu i bought, and it runs @60fps on my gtx 285) and GW2.

If I can snatch ESO for free or for a reduced price i might give that a chance and waiting on wildstar to see whats up with that.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Oh yes, one more example from EVE, if you build a Titan and gets destroyed the wreck stays in the universe forever as well, an ongoing monument the epic battle that occurred there.

That's pretty awesome.

I never quit my favorite MMORPG, but I suppose I can dredge up 5 entries for this thread:

WoW - I stopped playing because it became too expensive (this was before the free-to-play up to level 20 thing).  I probably wouldn't go back because the game is little more than a Skinner box designed to condition players into playing constantly by means of scheduled rewards.

Rift - I stopped playing when open beta weekend was over.  I probably wouldn't go back because it's not different enough from WoW (even their initial ad promos ran something like "We're not in Azeroth anymore").

War Thunder - I stopped playing because of heavy multi-gigabyte updates (it was in beta, in all fairness), and due to consistent crashes when the game tried to load certain training missions or certain multiplayer maps.  I probably wouldn't go back because I really dislike microtransactions that effect in-game advantages.

Neocron 2 - I stopped playing because the graphics felt dated and the UI was oversized.  I may go back to this one at some point.

Dragon Nest - I stopped playing because the game felt a little rough around the edges during character creation and NPC interaction, and the experience seemed designed around the concept of a single-player action RPG with multiplayer elements.  I probably wouldn't go back because I really dislike heavy instancing (I'm into open worlds).

...that felt... kind of good...

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    I quit EQ1 because the quality of the new content had decreased to a point that I deemed unacceptable for a game I wanted to play.
  • thorwoodthorwood Member Posts: 485

For most of  the games I loved, I became bored after 3 to 6 months and moved to a different game.

The few that I revisited did not have that feeling of a new adventure that you have in a new game.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Well, I try all games as I'm curious but the games I consider more than just sating my curiosity:

Lineage 2: Quit because the time I needed to spend leveling (which was fine) and making money (which was not fine) was becoming a bit too overbearing and intrusive on my other interests. I went back to try the game but I get an incredible lag that makes the game unplayable.

Rift: Couldn't stand the quests and the rifts, after a while, seemed to happen enough where many players were tired of them. This meant I was showing up at rifts and sometimes being the only person there. didn't like the world and I actually didn't like their class system (yes I am probably one of the few).

SWToR - got to essentially "end game" and there wasn't much to do. I enjoyed my time going through the game but I'm not much one to run instances over and over.

Otherwise I still dip into Vanguard, Ryzom and Aion as time permits.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Favorite MMORPG.... Eve Online.   Why did I quit?  The people who I played with slowly left.  The corps that I knew and belonged to closed.  I tried joining some other corps but it wasn't the same.  I couldn't find a group of players who struck the right balance between being organized and wanting to win without being militant  and thinking Eve was "serious business".

I've been tempted to come back recently.  Still undecided...

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville