Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spent over 550 dollars on WoW in Subscriptions alone and I hate the current incarnation of the gam

2»

Comments

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    I have bought the game at release and every subsequent expansion and subscribed on the game for about 8 and a half yrs, not played it for past 4 months, rather then the 2 breaks I had previously (3mths and 6mths) 9 mths total and now a 4 mth break and thusfar I have not missed it at all. I don't hold blizzard to account, they run their game as they see fit and hey, I have had several yrs of enjoyment from playing it.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by kalosjakar

please tell me you are kidding.

yo papa gino's that pizza i ate 2 years ago, yeah.... it wasn't that great, can I have my money back?

Don't mock that statement because YES there are actually laws that protect customers up to several years later depending where you live.

A perfect example would be if an employee laced the pizza with some kind of poison that causes long term damage.If 2 years later they traced all dead people as having ate from that pizza joint and entered the Hospitol that same day,then they would be sued for a lot of money.

Also just because some publisher has a lawyer write up a legal document,does not make it LAW.The law will ALWAYS preside over that digital agreement you enter into.They also have absolutely no right to change the game any way they see fit just because they say so,they still have to preside under the law,no exceptions.

A good argument would have to prove they mislead you into how much you would spend.Example the common topic on PAY TO WIN gaming.If they mislead you by having you spend say 20 bucks a month to compete,then after investing thousands all of a sudden they force you to spend 500 a month ,that would be grounds for  a lawsuit and full recovery and maybe more.

To understand it better you would need to think "monopoly" or price fixing.You might think a publisher has the right to charge whatever they want but they do not,it is for customer protection.A GIANT gaming operation known as HASBRO was sued by the USA government for just those reasons and of course they admitted guilt but got away easy with a settlement.

point being ,yes the law is quite inept at protecting customers but there is still law out there with a good lawyer IF of course you can prove they broke the law.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308
    no...Terms and Conditions...
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by kalosjakar

please tell me you are kidding.

yo papa gino's that pizza i ate 2 years ago, yeah.... it wasn't that great, can I have my money back?

Don't mock that statement because YES there are actually laws that protect customers up to several years later depending where you live.

Yes it is true, but there is a little problem when you accept the Eula (which is a binding contract btw)

You are actually accepting that "the game experience might change at any time" something that is clearly stated in the first few lines of the Eula.

Once you accept that term, you cannot complain that the game is not the same you used to play, because you clearly accepted to play it even though you were warned in advance.

If you notice, every time a Publisher updates the game there is generally a new Eula to sign.

This is an acknowledgement that the game has changed from the previous version and might play differently, so a new Eula is required to make sure that the user is fine playing a game that might be different from the version he played before and that could be different in the future..

Every major update requires a new Eula to accept, that's to avoid that a customer that signed an Eula 4 years ago complains 4 years after that the game has changed several times and it is not the game that has signed for.

So every time a game get updated the publisher submits a new Eula to sign, so to cover those situations.

Of course if blizzard turned WoW into Word Office then the OP might stand a chance............. but that's not the case.

WoW is still a game, it is still a MMO.............. it is just slightly different than the original version, it is not a different product.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

You have no hope whatsoever of recourse against Blizzard.  You will just have to...

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
  • c0796c0796 Member UncommonPosts: 39

Heh, normally I would agree, but, if you're in the US, maybe you can pull it off. I've read so many cases where people have successfully won their suit when they and the Judge should be slapped upside the head.

If someone can sue McDonalds because they spilled coffee on themselves, then you sir just have to show up to court and say, your Honour, I'm here, and unhappy, I understand that in this country all someone has to do is look at me wrong and I can sue them.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

I mean think about it, I played up till WOTLK, the game was drastically different back then, more grouping and open world pvp just to name a couple things.

I spent half a grand on this game, and I cant even install it and play for a minute because of how poorly designed and away from its original content the game has become. So my question is, do I have any right to legal recourse against Blizzard? Or am I just forced to play a game that is drastically different than what I agreed to originally?

Seriously, why do people who play mmos have this above type of ridiculous concept where your money spent DON'T depreciate with time and e-products are NOT real products?? :/

Hell if you bought a pair of designer shoes for $500 5 years ago you WOULD NOT ask for money back just because the brand changed the fashion style...

Or you WOULD NOT ask for money back on the food you ate just because they changed the favour...

You have already spent your money's worth and got your value for it. Get over it.

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    THIS SOUNDS LIKE A JOB FOR THE DEPARTMENT OF COMMON SENSE!
  • killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    wow, simply wow

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by c0796

Heh, normally I would agree, but, if you're in the US, maybe you can pull it off. I've read so many cases where people have successfully won their suit when they and the Judge should be slapped upside the head.

If someone can sue McDonalds because they spilled coffee on themselves, then you sir just have to show up to court and say, your Honour, I'm here, and unhappy, I understand that in this country all someone has to do is look at me wrong and I can sue them.

Super-heated coffee sold in a drive-thru.  This is one of those headlines that sound ridiculous, but the content of the story actually  makes a lot of sense.  

The OP's comment however; well, it isn't really worthy of response.  

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

BTW....... I just love the title.

It has to be the only thread where the title contains more information than the body itself............. you can't miss it can you?

Great job OP, this is going to be an epic thread.

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by godpuppet

Did anyone sue SoE over the pre/post CU Patch?

Dont think so.

Theres your answer sir

I believe people did sue SOE over the expansion on false advertising prior to the NGE patch. As the expansion contained tons of changes that were never discussed or told to the consumer which completely changed the nature of the game. The end result of that was SOE offered a full refund to anyone that purchased the expansion.

In the present case there is no allegations of false advertising, or fraud or trying to hide anything tp get someone to purchase the game or subscribe like in the case of SOE.  Here the OP is paying Blizzard per month to play a game each month not for future months.  if the game changes and he does not like the future design, direction or present content he can cancel his subscription.  The point here is he was paying Blizzard money not for future content but for present content.  Now if he had a long term 1 year subscription and Blizzard drastically changed their design he might have an argument. but that's not the case here. Even then that might be considered the risk of purchasing a cheaper long term subscription.  The simple answer here is the OP got value for what he paid for and if at anytime he was not satisfied with the product he could have cancelled.  They owe him nothing.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

I don't think the op has any kind of case. But FWIW Eulas are not legally binding. If what they say in the EULA violates some law(s) its not going to hold up in court. For example if Blizzard suddenly decided to double your monthly fee because they slipped in a little clause in the EULA saying 'monthly fees might double without notice.' it might not hold up in court - because you have to give notice to double your fees. You see where I am going with this..

But no. I don't think there is anything you can do. My advice. Quit for a while and play other MMOs. WoW does alot of things right and you will likely realize the compromises they make aren't so bad..

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Get a life.

Joined - July 2004

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I am a lawyer and I believe you have a case here, I will not post my company details but if you google Lionel Hutz Attorney you will be able to contact me and we can discuss the matter further.
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
  • TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629

This thread is the beginning of many more threads alike to be created in 2014, how exciting. First thing iv read in 2014, a grand opening might I add.

...and now it's time to post a gif, that you may or may not remember in the next hour- but it will cross your mind cause you read these words, now stare into the demons abyss begone.

The thrill and excitement for the future posts like these, now let us sing a song, and look forward to everything beyond.

Random Gif Time#2014!

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Here is what you do.

1. Login in your character.

2. Delete all gear

3. Delete character

4. Log out and never look back

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

I mean think about it, I played up till WOTLK, the game was drastically different back then, more grouping and open world pvp just to name a couple things.

I spent half a grand on this game, and I cant even install it and play for a minute because of how poorly designed and away from its original content the game has become. So my question is, do I have any right to legal recourse against Blizzard? Or am I just forced to play a game that is drastically different than what I agreed to originally?

Regardless of you having a case or not I'm just curious about the stuff I highlighted in red.  Who is exactly forcing you to play anything?

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

Really? You really are giving this serious consideration. 

Right, firstly the answer is no, check the TOS, you know, that thing you 'tick' when you first logged on... and with every expansion...and with every major patch. You know, that thing... you didn't read. In addition, if you are not enjoying the game and its direction. Don't play, don't waste more money on it. It is that simple. 

You bought the game and played it, you pay a sub to rent time to play it. In honest sub based mmo's are a huge saving for a gamer. For a low cost you get many many hours of entertainment from it. 

also not sure what you mean by 'forced' to play the game. Did Blizzard come round to your house, sit on your knee and squeezed a quiche into your gaping maw as they teased your niplets coaxing you to play more of their game? No, they did not. 

I suppose you could be forgiven though, I mean its not like World of Warcraft is a big game or anything. I  mean its not like EVERY online and offline gaming associated website and magazine has excessive coverage of every expansion and patch of the content coming out, giving you the consumer to make an informed decision whether to continue your subscription or not. 

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    Originally posted by Zapzap
    Originally posted by godpuppet

Did anyone sue SoE over the pre/post CU Patch?

Dont think so.

Theres your answer sir

I believe people did sue SOE over the expansion on false advertising prior to the NGE patch. As the expansion contained tons of changes that were never discussed or told to the consumer which completely changed the nature of the game. The end result of that was SOE offered a full refund to anyone that purchased the expansion.

In the present case there is no allegations of false advertising, or fraud or trying to hide anything tp get someone to purchase the game or subscribe like in the case of SOE.  Here the OP is paying Blizzard per month to play a game each month not for future months.  if the game changes and he does not like the future design, direction or present content he can cancel his subscription.  The point here is he was paying Blizzard money not for future content but for present content.  Now if he had a long term 1 year subscription and Blizzard drastically changed their design he might have an argument. but that's not the case here. Even then that might be considered the risk of purchasing a cheaper long term subscription.  The simple answer here is the OP got value for what he paid for and if at anytime he was not satisfied with the product he could have cancelled.  They owe him nothing.

I don't believe SOE were SUEd. The refund was a good will gesture. If you wanted every penny ever spent on swg back you could have gotten it.

What does the OP want? Money back? prevention of this type of change in product?

What is the OP claiming? unreasonable changes? Breach of trust?

The courts decide these types of things. If there is no recourse through the law, there is always consumer awareness campaigns. Free speech is the best tool.

Do I care anymore than a company cares if I get sued? nope.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Thanks. I needed to start the new year with a good belly laugh. Other human beings never cease to surprise me. Wait, no, I'm lying. I knew plenty of people out there would think up something like this. I think it's more the fact that it actually made it to a post is what surprise....no, not that either.

Bless your heart.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

This discussion has been closed.