Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't games do this?????

By do this I mean on like a hourly/daily basis.

Why don't  these big name companies hire people strictly to produce random pve events throughout a server. I am talking have 2-3 low wage dudes strictly there to produce attacks on city by large groups of npc's, spawn rare named dragons or wtf ever and control them, and (use your imagination here) to fight against or with or whatever.

Some of the most memorable experiences I have ever had in a mmo were GM events and you can't tell me it is that hard to spawn random creatures in a world such as the ones we play in. I mean they did it back in UO 98-99 all be it very rarely so you can't tell me that can't  do it now.

I am talking 5+ little events like this a day. It does not have to be a huge ordeal. It could Simply be some random  mob controlled by  someone at the company running around killing players with a special unique loot or something. Stuff like this would make someones day and really add a whole new level to games like this .

This would not affect the deep pockets of these companies int he least bit, would be fairly easy to pull off, and be super fun =). I do not see a downside to this..

Any opinions?

Comments

• esardotz92983esardotz92983 Member Posts: 13
    I  am talking about something different then GM rule enforcers here before anyone drops that bomb on me
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by esardotz92983

By do this I mean on like a hourly/daily basis.

Why don't  these big name companies hire people strictly to produce random pve events throughout a server. I am talking have 2-3 low wage dudes strictly there to produce attacks on city by large groups of npc's, spawn rare named dragons or wtf ever and control them, and (use your imagination here) to fight against or with or whatever.

Some of the most memorable experiences I have ever had in a mmo were GM events and you can't tell me it is that hard to spawn random creatures in a world such as the ones we play in. I mean they did it back in UO 98-99 all be it very rarely so you can't tell me that can't  do it now.

I am talking 5+ little events like this a day. It does not have to be a huge ordeal. It could Simply be some random  mob controlled by  someone at the company running around killing players with a special unique loot or something. Stuff like this would make someones day and really add a whole new level to games like this .

This would not affect the deep pockets of these companies int he least bit, would be fairly easy to pull off, and be super fun =). I do not see a downside to this..

Any opinions?

I agree and with the AI that SoE is saying they have for EQN they could have easy control over events that bleed over into the rest of the game.  Since all mobs will have a programmed like/dislike list a pack of spawned wolves may automatically go for farm animals or an undead pack attack a town, make zombies out of the inhabitants and then head for other towns.  This "zombification" was shown about two years ago in a Storybricks demo.  SoE is licensing them as the core AI in EQN.

GM: "Hmmm, how about *type* /zombiecount 200... that should be enough excitement for a while!"

Funding for such people to do this would be there since Landmark "creation contests" for specific structures could net SoE many designs for future use.  This should relieve enough time to have someone at the helm of actual GM events all the time, not just someone pulling a trigger now and again.

Just my 2cp

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Happens for free already on some little 3 man indie games.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

They have been done many times in the past and were done by the GM's.Usually it was part of a contract between the developer and publisher.The problem is you are not going to get anything special from a GM,they can't program into the game nor make assets.

These were the true identity of a Dynamic event,NOT what games like GW2 claim to be Dynamic.I am not sure why publisher's/devs have got so lazy but overall game design has got lazy imo,so no surprise i guess.

I remember doing several during my days playing Rising Force Online RFO.I believe their contract was to hold an event once a week.The events were sort of fun just because the whole server would take part but once they got sooo lame people just stopped caring and hardly anyone would take part.I remember GM's would warn players to not cheat during the events but in the end EVERYONE cheated that could then instead of warning the cheats,they warned the fair players to not complain lmao ya lame,i guess we were suppose to compliment those that cheated the rest of the players.It was after that event that players stopped caring to participate.

Runes of Magic was th same ordeal,started out ok but then the events got so immature and lame players all but stopped participating,you would get as few as maybe 5 players taking part.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry

One wouldn't have thought SoE would develop an MMO where the dev tools are all in game either. It's entirely in the realm of possibility they will develop tools for GMs to create mini "events" even if it's to spawn groups of mobs.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

I seen that they posted it in The Pub but this is specific to SoE's ability to do it with EQN. I'm not interested in running circles speaking in general terms of the genre lol.
  • YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165

It would be nice to have program  like what UO used to do with the Seers. You would see a Seer hanging around (rarely) and go up to him/her and start roleplaying, and they had the ability to take you on a quest that they had prepared ahead of time.

I was a counselor on one of the shards and had the misfortune of appearing at the bank in Britain... never did that again.