Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feel the Evil

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

its obvious you can play an Evil character in ESO, there will be vampires and Werewolves, and after release they will add the thieves guild and the dark bortherhood.... and i suppose there will even be cults you can join that worship Daedra..  

I also hope the quests you play allow you to choose dark options as solutions so i can at most times play my character as an evil one... 

But most important thing to feel like an evil character is NPC´s reacting to you in this way...  

I am really wondering how much of these NPC actions we will see..  Because things like this would set the game apart from the rest..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

its obvious you can play an Evil character in ESO, there will be vampires and Werewolves, and after release they will add the thieves guild and the dark bortherhood.... and i suppose there will even be cults you can join that worship Daedra..  

I also hope the quests you play allow you to choose dark options as solutions so i can at most times play my character as an evil one... 

But most important thing to feel like an evil character is NPC´s reacting to you in this way...  

I am really wondering how much of these NPC actions we will see..  Because things like this would set the game apart from the rest..

Huh?  Since when do Elder Scrolls games present werewolves or vampires as inherently evil?  Neither has to kill anything sentient in order to feed.  Being a thief is also far from being "evil."  As for the Dark Brotherhood, the only thing that would arguably make them evil is that they kill for money.  Which, when you think about it, is what most quests in a MMO consist of, even without the DB, meaning under that definition pretty much every player character is evil.

Also, I too would hope for "options," but it wouldn't be very Elder Scrolls if they added them.  ES games rarely have any choices in a quest, beyond the choice of whether to do the quest.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

Huh?  Since when do Elder Scrolls games present werewolves or vampires as inherently evil?  Neither has to kill anything sentient in order to feed.  Being a thief is also far from being "evil."  As for the Dark Brotherhood, the only thing that would arguably make them evil is that they kill for money.  Which, when you think about it, is what most quests in a MMO consist of, even without the DB, meaning under that definition pretty much every player character is evil.

Also, I too would hope for "options," but it wouldn't be very Elder Scrolls if they added them.  ES games rarely have any choices in a quest, beyond the choice of whether to do the quest.

I think you are stretching just a bit here. Regardless of how they are played, the vast majority are going to heap sucking blood, stealing and assassination/murder into evil or your not a very nice person categories lol.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Lol at the response... reminds me of the orcs, trolls and undead in early WOW... "We're not evil, just misunderstood!"

Seems like people want to have their cake and eat it too: play a Dark Brotherhood vampire but get upset when anyone calls them evil. Because, as we all know, murder and sucking blood from unsuspecting necks are morally neutral activities...

As to the OP... yeah,  hope there are real consequences from NPCs and such from walking on the wild side.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Fingers crossed it feels more like an ES MMO rather than a Twilight one when I log in. :)

• PigglesworthPigglesworth Member UncommonPosts: 260
    If you sparkle, I will kill you.

@PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

Originally posted by Jyiiga

I think you are stretching just a bit here. Regardless of how they are played, the vast majority are going to heap sucking blood, stealing and assassination/murder into evil or your not a very nice person categories lol.

What is an assassin?  Somebody who kills for money.  Look at the majority of quests in most MMOs.  You are being paid to kill people.  Under the definition that "being paid to kill people is evil," pretty much every character you play in any MMO would end up being considered evil.  And stealing is evil according to the "vast majority?"  Wouldn't most people say that depends on who you are stealing from, and what you do with the money after you steal it?

Originally posted by Iselin

Lol at the response... reminds me of the orcs, trolls and undead in early WOW... "We're not evil, just misunderstood!" 

Seems like people want to have their cake and eat it too: play a Dark Brotherhood vampire but get upset when anyone calls them evil. Because, as we all know, murder and sucking blood from unsuspecting necks are morally neutral activities... 

As to the OP... yeah,  hope there are real consequences from NPCs and such from walking on the wild side.

Uh... you must not have read a lot of the narrative in WoW.  It was pretty clear that the Alliance, as a whole, was actually closer to being "bad guys" than the Horde, as a whole.  And neither side was really bad, the Alliance was just closer to it.  It was more of a civilization vs. tribalism conflict than good vs. evil.

And morality is relative.  With the three faction setup in ESO, it would make sense for NPCs to consider a vampire hunter from one of the other factions more "evil" than a vampire who was on their side.

The Force shall free me.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

that doesn't make evil game play, only in name. Like they gw2 necro "Yes my lady I will help!" Unless there is an alignment system, it's all cosmetic. 

Hard to be evil in a non FFA game.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Pigglesworth
    If you sparkle, I will kill you.

You sir, have won the internet.

• SoulTrapOnSelfSoulTrapOnSelf Member Posts: 190
    I don't understand. Maybe for the OP being turned into a vampire is an evil thing? However, if I play as a vampire and do evil things such as killing innocent people, but there is no such thing in TESO. If you wanna play evil in a TES game, you gotta do it in TES III: Morrowind. in TESO the player is another hero like in many other MMOs. I would like to play as a minion of Molag Bal. I can't be evil in TESO lol
    I felt more evil and hypocritical playing the republic side than I did playing the empire in TOR. At least the empire was upfront about it.

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162

Reminds me of a conversation one of my friends got dragged into when SWTOR first released.

A bunch of people were going on and on that the Sith were not evil - legitimately believed the Sith were not evil. Wondered what it was like in the minds of those folks. image

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

Originally posted by TheBigDRC

Reminds me of a conversation one of my friends got dragged into when SWTOR first released.

A bunch of people were going on and on that the Sith were not evil - legitimately believed the Sith were not evil. Wondered what it was like in the minds of those folks. image

Hey, so you read my thread on the pre-release TOR forum! Lol. (And you can't get dragged in, you have to choose to jump in.)

The Force shall free me.

• esardotz92983esardotz92983 Member Posts: 13
    I want open pvp, not going to get it, but I want it. Hard to play an evil  when you can't kill anyone
    Originally posted by esardotz92983
    I want open pvp, not going to get it, but I want it. Hard to play an evil  when you can't kill anyone

You may be confusing evil with crazy.  Open PvP leads to people killing "4 teh lulz," which is batcrap insane reasoning, from an in character perspective, not evil reasoning.

The Force shall free me.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

In WoW both sides had evil and good races.  Undead and Humans were probably the most evil of each side.  Orcs that were on Thralls side were pretty honorable especially Thrall him self.  Humans did a lot of evil things like commit slavery on the Orcs.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

its obvious you can play an Evil character in ESO, there will be vampires and Werewolves, and aaafffttteeertt rrteeellleeeaaassseee they will add the thieves guild and the dark bortherhood.... and i suppose there will even be cults you can join that worship Daedra..  

Oh the fun times of claims of "after release" from a developer.  That's only ever happened.....every time an MMORPG is about to launch.    That claim isn't for "soon" either, so expect the length of time to extend a minimum of 6 months to a stretch that could be 2 years.  

On topic, the video leaks (which have shown far more than the lacking the developers have not shown) indicate that the NPC's are not reactive to a player other than giving out generic, standard quests.   Why they didn't take a page from GW2 and have quests that are area based (instead of log based) and able to be completed w/o talking to an NPC at all, I'll never know.

P.S. Has there been any visual or more detailed information related to the Werewolves/Vampires, or just the say of "they'll be in" form the developers?  I'm kind of skeptical that the feature will be all it's cracked up to be, if it's even in at the beginning at all (or delayed like other things).

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Siphaed

its obvious you can play an Evil character in ESO, there will be vampires and Werewolves, and aaafffttteeertt rrteeellleeeaaassseee they will add the thieves guild and the dark bortherhood.... and i suppose there will even be cults you can join that worship Daedra..  

Oh the fun times of claims of "after release" from a developer.  That's only ever happened.....every time an MMORPG is about to launch.    That claim isn't for "soon" either, so expect the length of time to extend a minimum of 6 months to a stretch that could be 2 years.  

On topic, the video leaks (which have shown far more than the lacking the developers have not shown) indicate that the NPC's are not reactive to a player other than giving out generic, standard quests.   Why they didn't take a page from GW2 and have quests that are area based (instead of log based) and able to be completed w/o talking to an NPC at all, I'll never know.

P.S. Has there been any visual or more detailed information related to the Werewolves/Vampires, or just the say of "they'll be in" form the developers?  I'm kind of skeptical that the feature will be all it's cracked up to be, if it's even in at the beginning at all (or delayed like other things).

Actually they plan to add lots of new skilltrees over the years after release......  Mechanically the thieves guild and the dark brotherhood are just two story trees that each offer their own skilltree...

i think there will also be more divine skilltrees.... And special fighting type skilltrees....  Stop complaining about stuff being added over time, thats the very nature of an ever expanding MMO...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

its obvious you can play an Evil character in ESO, there will be vampires and Werewolves, and aaafffttteeertt rrteeellleeeaaassseee they will add the thieves guild and the dark bortherhood.... and i suppose there will even be cults you can join that worship Daedra..   I also hope the quests you play allow you to choose dark options as solutions so i can at most times play my character as an evil one...    But most important thing to feel like an evil character is NPC´s reacting to you in this way...     I am really wondering how much of these NPC actions we will see..  Because things like this would set the game apart from the rest..

They have confirmed that they will have dedicated skill trees and that you can only be one or the other. They have also stated that they will be hunted by the Fighter's Guild. In fact, this guild is largely devoted to such hunting, and has a skill tree that is very hunter-centric. Moreover, they have stated that the disadvantages of being a supernatural character will be noteworthy.
    The orcs in ES are the only race that hasn't tried to enslave another. That makes them the "good" race to me.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Pigglesworth
    The orcs in ES are the only race that hasn't tried to enslave another. That makes them the "good" race to me.

Yes its about time those no good bosmer slavers were held accountable! image

Stop complaining about stuff being added over time, thats the very nature of an ever expanding MMO...

But don't you realize, if a game has less content at launch than WoW built over the course of nine years, it is teh failz!

The Force shall free me.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

*snip*

*snip*

Actually they plan to add lots of new skilltrees over the years after release......  Mechanically the thieves guild and the dark brotherhood are just two story trees that each offer their own skilltree...

i think there will also be more divine skilltrees.... And special fighting type skilltrees....  Stop complaining about stuff being added over time, thats the very nature of an ever expanding MMO...

But those things are fundamental in The Elder Scrolls games.  Thieves Guild, Fighters Guild, and Dark Brotherhood were all pieces in Oblivion (nearly a decade ago) as well as Skyrim.  To launch the game without those things and simultaneously claim that it's a "true Elder Scrolls game" is a logical fallacy that boarders on absurdity!

Next you're going to tell me that the Mages Guild is also on the "TBD" list of things that'll be added far beyond launch of the actual game.   If that's true, that would mean that they'd have to launch without magical classes at all, right?  And if they did launch with magical classes without the Mages Guild, then it would just be another falsity towards true Elder Scrolls. 

Normal MMORPG's add things over time to establish a lore set to it's universe.  They evolve and expand based on what they're created both within the realm of existing IP and created ones.  They do not, however, claim to be based on an existing lore and go completely against said lore and IP; they don't say they're one thing but instead be another.

P.S. Want a screwed up concept of how this won't be an Elder Scrolls game within the realm of vampires?  Unless a player starts to 1) burn from the sun after a certain period of time,  2) gets near super-human abilities,  and 3) can openly infect other players by biting them or NPC's within the game.....if not all 3 of those things is a possibility with vampirism (Porphyric Hemophilia), then it's not a true Elder Scrolls game.  Instead, it's something adding vampires and werewolves to appease the Twilight fandom that's run rampant for many years.

But those things are fundamental in The Elder Scrolls games.  Thieves Guild, Fighters Guild, and Dark Brotherhood were all pieces in Oblivion (nearly a decade ago) as well as Skyrim.  To launch the game without those things and simultaneously claim that it's a "true Elder Scrolls game" is a logical fallacy that boarders on absurdity!

Next you're going to tell me that the Mages Guild is also on the "TBD" list of things that'll be added far beyond launch of the actual game.   If that's true, that would mean that they'd have to launch without magical classes at all, right?  And if they did launch with magical classes without the Mages Guild, then it would just be another falsity towards true Elder Scrolls. 

Normal MMORPG's add things over time to establish a lore set to it's universe.  They evolve and expand based on what they're created both within the realm of existing IP and created ones.  They do not, however, claim to be based on an existing lore and go completely against said lore and IP; they don't say they're one thing but instead be another. 

P.S. Want a screwed up concept of how this won't be an Elder Scrolls game within the realm of vampires?  Unless a player starts to 1) burn from the sun after a certain period of time,  2) gets near super-human abilities,  and 3) can openly infect other players by biting them or NPC's within the game.....if not all 3 of those things is a possibility with vampirism (Porphyric Hemophilia), then it's not a true Elder Scrolls game.  Instead, it's something adding vampires and werewolves to appease the Twilight fandom that's run rampant for many years.

Fundamental?  Skyrim didn't have the Fighter's Guild or the Mage's Guild.  It had factions that filled a similar narrative role, but it didn't have those.  Morrowind didn't have the Dark Brotherhood.  Arena didn't have any factions at all.  The only faction that has been present in every one of the games that had factions is the Thieves' Guild.  So I'm not sure "fundamental" means what you think it means.

The Force shall free me.

Maybe it's best that the Dark Brotherhood is not in at first. I would think they would only want tried, tested, and proven characters.

Afterall, most of us have to work hard to be DBs. Of course, for some trollers, being a DB is natural.

• LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112

Hi !

Is there Dark magic genre spells available for players or is damage Elemental based like fire, ice, lightning and sigh?