Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone tried Dominions 4?

dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I stumbled onto an article that mentioned this game today.  I've never heard of the series.  Before I spend $35 on it I wanted some opinions from players who like turn based strategy games.  The reviews on Steam are almost universally positive.

The graphics look several generations old but I have no problem looking past that.

With the number of different nations and units and skills they boast, I'm curious if they made it complex for complexity's sake or does it all fit together and make sense?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
-- Herman Melville

Comments

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by dave6660

I stumbled onto an article that mentioned this game today.  I've never heard of the series.  Before I spend $35 on it I wanted some opinions from players who like turn based strategy games.  The reviews on Steam are almost universally positive.

The graphics look several generations old but I have no problem looking past that.

With the number of different nations and units and skills they boast, I'm curious if they made it complex for complexity's sake or does it all fit together and make sense?

I do highly recommend this game as it is an incredibly deep and fun strategy game. Well worth $30 if you like the type of game it offers.

The game really has more depth than straight up complexity I'd say. It's not that much harder to figure out than say Civ IV but there is so much stuff in the game that learning how it all works and interacts with each other will keep you busy for hours to even grasp the basics. The manual is big and reading it is pretty much required although there are some Youtube videos which will also help a new player get bearings.

Unfortunately the AI is not that great and playing against it is considered kind of an extended tutorial. The core of the game is play by email multiplayer which is very fun.

If you like insane amounts of variety and customization and a lot of cool units and spells and things and nearly endless replay value  this game is perfect for you. If  you're impatient and expect a game you can learn the fundamentals of in a few minutes though or if refuse to play a game with below average graphics look elsewhere.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

I cannot speak for 4 but played 3 like crazy.

I am sure 4 is similar. I would say there is no other game out there with this depth. Expect to spend a good month playing beofre you start to really grasp it, expect to maybe never 'master' it.

Dominions 3 is no joke. One of the best TB strat games ever and with a great PBEM system. The ONLY reason I havnt played 4 yet is that I have several games still going in 3. I have one game that has been going on well over a year .

If you like serious depth. This is your game (although in 3 the battles are not really TB but 'real time' that you do not control beyond troop placement and assigning tactics- The rest is TB)

EDIT- The Ai sucks in 3 as well, but the single player is where you wet our feet and learn before tackling multiplayer PBEM

• Blaze007Blaze007 Member Posts: 188

Dominions 3 is a deep strategy game but this "deepness" is of specific kind, limited only to managing battle tactics by mixing pre-battle scripts for combat behavior and spells for your units. Dominions 4 is just cosmetically different from D3. If you are looking for really complex game I would suggest you take a look at Realism Invictus mod for Civ 4. Version 3.2 was just released 6 days ago. It is not fantasy-themed thou.