Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I'm taking a long break from this game

fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

So I've played since launch and really like this game, its well made.  Dungeons are fun, so is most of the end game content.  So why am I taking a break now, just after 2.1?

Theres many reasons I'm taking a break, till the game gets better in these areas....

1.   Housing.   FC housing was the size of player housing in LOTRO and just about any other game.   There is only 150 houses available for each of the three starting cities.   They also priced them so high, that the other day when I checked, there was not a single house or land bought yet.   They say they want to save server space, but the fact is, how much housing is ONLY 150 server space really taking up?   I think Yoshi has not been up front about housing to us.   Now we hear that the prices are going to drop but not by even a considerable amount to allow every FC on the server to even have a house if they could even afford it.   Legacy servers were told they know that FC's who started new on legacy servers would not be able to ever get a house....

2.  Farming.   They went and made items that sold for 700 gil, drop so much more that its now 45 gil on auction and the demand is so low that you cannot even farm for gil for your FC house at a reasonable rate anymore.   They did this to not just one or two farming items, but to every single one that was decently priced.   Tomestone farming has been reduced from being needed for crafted second best gear to now being worthless due to Crystal Tower Gear now being in the game.  

3.  Crafting.  Crafters cannot use the best crafting mats in the game, which are bought with tomestones  to make anything worth selling anymore.  To give you an idea of how many tomestones are on auction and how fast something sells, I would say  around 100+ mats on auction selling for 7k each on legacy servers and 9 mats make an item which sells at a rate of about 1 a day if your lucky now, because the gear that's crafted is lvl 70 compared to the Crystal tower raid 80 gear now.  The only thing crafters can make now is furnishings, but there is no houses so there is absolutely no money to be made from selling furnishings.   There is pretty much no end game need for crafting anymore.

4.   Raid Gear.  Raid gear has such awkward stats that trying to piece them together is a nightmare.   Accuracy, which is one of the most important stats to land an attack and not miss during raids is set pretty high,   Not all pieces of raid gear have accuracy so you find yourself using lvl 70 item gear while some of your raided lvl 90 gear sits in the bank doing nothing....

What they should have done was put accuracy as a separate stat, then spread it out on all the sets of gear in the game so it scales with the item level of the gear you get.   They also have Spell speed instead of crit and determination, the two most important stats on your raid gear, which is a huge downgrade sometimes.   Ive seen lvl 70 gear have more beneficial stats then 90 raid gear.  This is absolutely unacceptable for the work you do on raiding.

So there it is in a nutshell, reasons why I'm taking a break until this game is better and fixed from its current state.   I no longer find it enjoyable to struggle so hard with these simple issues that should have been given attention during the start of the games creation.  Until these things are fixed, I feel its pointless to even invest anymore time in this game,  even if a lot of the game is still fun.

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Housing should be free and a fun part of the game.....Or is it a time sink to keep players ?
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

I completely agree with the OP!

Having fun is pretty pointless in this game.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

The original intention was for almost everyone to be able to get them, once they saw people were getting bored and they had little real content to fulfil that they boosted the price up to turn it into a massive grind.

Just go look at what he said about prices all the way along and how it changed. 

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by fistorm

So I've played since launch and really like this game, its well made.  Dungeons are fun, so is most of the end game content.  So why am I taking a break now, just after 2.1?

Theres many reasons I'm taking a break, till the game gets better in these areas....

1.   Housing.   FC housing was the size of player housing in LOTRO and just about any other game.   There is only 150 houses available for each of the three starting cities.   They also priced them so high, that the other day when I checked, there was not a single house or land bought yet.   They say they want to save server space, but the fact is, how much housing is ONLY 150 server space really taking up?   I think Yoshi has not been up front about housing to us.   Now we hear that the prices are going to drop but not by even a considerable amount to allow every FC on the server to even have a house if they could even afford it.   Legacy servers were told they know that FC's who started new on legacy servers would not be able to ever get a house....

2.  Farming.   They went and made items that sold for 700 gil, drop so much more that its now 45 gil on auction and the demand is so low that you cannot even farm for gil for your FC house at a reasonable rate anymore.   They did this to not just one or two farming items, but to every single one that was decently priced.   Tomestone farming has been reduced from being needed for crafted second best gear to now being worthless due to Crystal Tower Gear now being in the game.  

3.  Crafting.  Crafters cannot use the best crafting mats in the game, which are bought with tomestones  to make anything worth selling anymore.  To give you an idea of how many tomestones are on auction and how fast something sells, I would say  around 100+ mats on auction selling for 7k each on legacy servers and 9 mats make an item which sells at a rate of about 1 a day if your lucky now, because the gear that's crafted is lvl 70 compared to the Crystal tower raid 80 gear now.  The only thing crafters can make now is furnishings, but there is no houses so there is absolutely no money to be made from selling furnishings.   There is pretty much no end game need for crafting anymore.

4.   Raid Gear.  Raid gear has such awkward stats that trying to piece them together is a nightmare.   Accuracy, which is one of the most important stats to land an attack and not miss during raids is set pretty high,   Not all pieces of raid gear have accuracy so you find yourself using lvl 70 item gear while some of your raided lvl 90 gear sits in the bank doing nothing....

What they should have done was put accuracy as a separate stat, then spread it out on all the sets of gear in the game so it scales with the item level of the gear you get.   They also have Spell speed instead of crit and determination, the two most important stats on your raid gear, which is a huge downgrade sometimes.   Ive seen lvl 70 gear have more beneficial stats then 90 raid gear.  This is absolutely unacceptable for the work you do on raiding.

So there it is in a nutshell, reasons why I'm taking a break until this game is better and fixed from its current state.   I no longer find it enjoyable to struggle so hard with these simple issues that should have been given attention during the start of the games creation.  Until these things are fixed, I feel its pointless to even invest anymore time in this game,  even if a lot of the game is still fun.

Not that I am trying to convince you not to take a break, but if I can nitpick at a few things you list as your complaints.

1.  Housing is not unattainable any longer because they are reducing the prices dramatically.  Some people have purchased housing even at the extreme prices, and while they should have made them cheaper from the beginning I don't get why this is such a huge deal to you when it just means you have to wait a little longer to get yours.  Also they are already releasing a new neighborhood for each city, and said they will add more if needed.  Considering they are no where near selling out now, I don't see how this is a problem.

I for one don't think that housing should be extremely expensive, but non-completely instanced housing should not be free either.  If you want neighborhoods to be meaningful and not filled with run-down, abandoned houses and empty lots you need to charge both monthly and have some purchase price.  It was way too high for legacy servers, but they are bringing it down so its not exactly the end of the world.

2/3) There are other ways to earn gil on the market, such as materia.  This supported plenty of crafters in 1.0, maybe try making something else/pursuing other routes to earn gil.  Also once people do start buying houses furniture, especially ones made from rare drops will finally be a worthwhile and meaningful crafted item for people and groups to strive towards.

4.  Actually gearing is much simpler than in most MMORPG endgames, but if you are new to it I'll explain.

You have an accuracy cap to hit yes, but you can fill it with various combinations of jewelry (AF2, Coil, and Ex Primal drops), food, AF2 and coil.  There are many setups for i90 gear (AF2, Primal drops, and Coil) that definitely do not require level 70 items, and losing out on crit or determination is no reason at all to use level 70 items.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Murugan

Not that I am trying to convince you not to take a break, but if I can nitpick at a few things you list as your complaints.

1.  Housing is not unattainable any longer because they are reducing the prices dramatically.  Some people have purchased housing even at the extreme prices, and while they should have made them cheaper from the beginning I don't get why this is such a huge deal to you when it just means you have to wait a little longer to get yours.  Also they are already releasing a new neighborhood for each city, and said they will add more if needed.  Considering they are no where near selling out now, I don't see how this is a problem.

I for one don't think that housing should be extremely expensive, but non-completely instanced housing should not be free either.  If you want neighborhoods to be meaningful and not filled with run-down, abandoned houses and empty lots you need to charge both monthly and have some purchase price.  It was way too high for legacy servers, but they are bringing it down so its not exactly the end of the world.

2/3) There are other ways to earn gil on the market, such as materia.  This supported plenty of crafters in 1.0, maybe try making something else/pursuing other routes to earn gil.  Also once people do start buying houses furniture, especially ones made from rare drops will finally be a worthwhile and meaningful crafted item for people and groups to strive towards.

4.  Actually gearing is much simpler than in most MMORPG endgames, but if you are new to it I'll explain.

You have an accuracy cap to hit yes, but you can fill it with various combinations of jewelry (AF2, Coil, and Ex Primal drops), food, AF2 and coil.  There are many setups for i90 gear (AF2, Primal drops, and Coil) that definitely do not require level 70 items, and losing out on crit or determination is no reason at all to use level 70 items.

1. housing - "reducing drasticly prices"...  it was stated 2.5 times higher on legacy, is going to be reduced to 2.25 times, then after a Month and half, they'll reduce it down to the top price of other servers....  Which is still high on other servers for new players.   We are talking about a house the size of a personal house in other games as an FC house.... I thought I'd add, that if you FC house is the size of a personal house in other games, what hope do you have that your personal house will be anything bigger then a room?  Which I might add is just about the size of a small FC that's priced 24 million, which will find its way to 9 million after one and half months time.  Medium houses, 80 million now, will be 32 million after one and half month, and big houses 100 million which will be 100 million.....

So when I say take a long break I mean atleast One and half months just for housing alone....  probably longer if other things I listed are not fixed.

2. Farming  "selling matiera" - Farming is completely shot... other routes of making gil are actually only two.... Spiritbinding for material and Map hunting.   First off, farming regular items in the field on mobs should be a good and decent way to make gil.  Mobs like aldgoats that droped aldgoat hides, had their rates increased, I used to farm those things for 250 each, then after people farming them went down to 100 gil each,  then after 2.1 they needlessly increased the drop rates dropping aldgoat leather to almost worthless amount of 30 gil each....    Try farming millions for your FC house at 30gil a hide, when theres so many on auction more then ever is needed.   Fleece is 10k an hour, and sells average rate, but its so flooded and at 10k an hour to get 9 million gil for a small FC house would take 900 hours. 

Where would you find man hours in any FC that would farm for 900 hours for a small FC house?

3.  Other routes of gilmaking:  Spiritbindin parties to get material to sell....    I tried this as a last attempt before taking my break.   Keeping a spiritbind party going and getting the gear for it was the worst yet...    You can do this for a max of 2 hours of the day because not enough people will do it for hours straight needed for FC house farming.   For six weeks straight my FC would have had to make 400k a day for every day straight for six weeks just to get the medium house at the reduced price...  Its mathmaticly time consuming of 8 hours or more a day for all the members and what game makes you WORK for 8 hours a day for six weeks straight for an FC house?   Where is the fun in that?   Why wouldn't I just get a part time job and earn REAL money in REAL life instead?

4.  Once people get houses furnishings will be good.   -  I want to point out that crafters are headlong already crafting furnishings nonstop during this six week period before top end game FC's can buy their houses.  The market now is so flooded with furnishing items,  by the time Six weeks rolls round, the items are just about at cost and more then enough funishings for a total of 450 FC's in game, which is probably the amount each servers FC's will be able to buy them on each server.

5. Accuracy on gear -  What your trying to say is that I should take my 90 raid gear and bank it and use 90 AF2 gear or 90 primal gear instead to get my ACcracy for the RAID that I just got a accuracyless gearpiece in?   Why even raid then if you wont get gear that's even good enough to use for the RAID you just got it in?

Another thing I hate is why Cant I use all my 90 gear I get, whether it came from a primal fight, or AF2, or RAID?   Why cant I use that 90 gear regaurdless of where it came from?

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by amber-r

The original intention was for almost everyone to be able to get them, once they saw people were getting bored and they had little real content to fulfil that they boosted the price up to turn it into a massive grind.

Just go look at what he said about prices all the way along and how it changed. 

I think the intent was changed to attempt to "fix" the economy, but it's way worse off now than it was previously. They have a real mess on their hands in terms of the economy. I have no idea how they're going to fix it. I swear SE never learns from prior experience. They have 10 years worth of experience running a virtual economy with XI, and it seems like none of the ideas or lessons carried over. There's times I actually miss Tanaka. 

1. housing - "reducing drasticly prices"...  it was stated 2.5 times higher on legacy, is going to be reduced to 2.25 times, then after a Month and half, they'll reduce it down to the top price of other servers....  Which is still high on other servers for new players.   We are talking about a house the size of a personal house in other games as an FC house.... I thought I'd add, that if you FC house is the size of a personal house in other games, what hope do you have that your personal house will be anything bigger then a room?  Which I might add is just about the size of a small FC that's priced 24 million, which will find its way to 9 million after one and half months time.  Medium houses, 80 million now, will be 32 million after one and half month, and big houses 100 million which will be 100 million.....

So when I say take a long break I mean atleast One and half months just for housing alone....  probably longer if other things I listed are not fixed.

2. Farming  "selling matiera" - Farming is completely shot... other routes of making gil are actually only two.... Spiritbinding for material and Map hunting.   First off, farming regular items in the field on mobs should be a good and decent way to make gil.  Mobs like aldgoats that droped aldgoat hides, had their rates increased, I used to farm those things for 250 each, then after people farming them went down to 100 gil each,  then after 2.1 they needlessly increased the drop rates dropping aldgoat leather to almost worthless amount of 30 gil each....    Try farming millions for your FC house at 30gil a hide, when theres so many on auction more then ever is needed.   Fleece is 10k an hour, and sells average rate, but its so flooded and at 10k an hour to get 9 million gil for a small FC house would take 900 hours. 

Where would you find man hours in any FC that would farm for 900 hours for a small FC house?

3.  Other routes of gilmaking:  Spiritbindin parties to get material to sell....    I tried this as a last attempt before taking my break.   Keeping a spiritbind party going and getting the gear for it was the worst yet...    You can do this for a max of 2 hours of the day because not enough people will do it for hours straight needed for FC house farming.   For six weeks straight my FC would have had to make 400k a day for every day straight for six weeks just to get the medium house at the reduced price...  Its mathmaticly time consuming of 8 hours or more a day for all the members and what game makes you WORK for 8 hours a day for six weeks straight for an FC house?   Where is the fun in that?   Why wouldn't I just get a part time job and earn REAL money in REAL life instead?

4.  Once people get houses furnishings will be good.   -  I want to point out that crafters are headlong already crafting furnishings nonstop during this six week period before top end game FC's can buy their houses.  The market now is so flooded with furnishing items,  by the time Six weeks rolls round, the items are just about at cost and more then enough funishings for a total of 450 FC's in game, which is probably the amount each servers FC's will be able to buy them on each server.

5. Accuracy on gear -  What your trying to say is that I should take my 90 raid gear and bank it and use 90 AF2 gear or 90 primal gear instead to get my ACcracy for the RAID that I just got a accuracyless gearpiece in?   Why even raid then if you wont get gear that's even good enough to use for the RAID you just got it in?

Another thing I hate is why Cant I use all my 90 gear I get, whether it came from a primal fight, or AF2, or RAID?   Why cant I use that 90 gear regaurdless of where it came from?

As far as housing goes you haven't kept up to date with the latest news:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/5b1a297a47f89e7f8263f40a013f080a4e02d706

Over 6 weeks it will go from 2.25, to 2.0 etc. until housing on legacy servers will be the same as group A. 

Most of the rest of your post is based around those inflated numbers so I'm just going to ignore it since you dont' have to farm millions of aldgoats to buy a FC house (but why would you, I mean the whole point of 2.1 imo is that you can simply do NPC gil routes such as treasure hunt, roulette, and beast quests and still make gil so everyoen doesn't have to resort to farming aldgoats and crafting in order to make any decent gil).  Crafting and gathering is now a way to generate extra gil/usefulness, but is not required in order to simply have enough to not be losing gil on repair and food cost.

As gear I'm saying you should take five of those seconds you spent writing your little rant here and consider other gear setup options to hit the accuracy cap without gimping yourself wearing level 70 gear.  I mean people generally complain about how itemization in modern MMORPG's has been over streamlined so everyone is an exact replica, and in FFXIV there are multiple set options to get the needed accuracy without sacrificing the most important damage/healing related stats.

The fact that they involve multiple forms of content is a plus.  If you have full allaghan including the weapon you are at accuracy cap, but I'm guessing you don't and are just complaining because the drops you thoughtlessly claimed without thinking about how they would fit into your setup don't add up to the required accuracy.  But even if that was the case in 99% of cases you could simply fix it by eating the proper food.

You do know the highest accuracy food is also one of the cheapest, and having a few less crit hit points or determination is hardly going to affect your damage in any significant way.

Ummm, I just stated what you just said in my post....  I'm using the same numbers as you.  You basicly ignored everything I said and said exactly what I said...  You probably wont read this one either fully but I'll post it anyways as a last attempt.

Let me make it simple for you...  6 weeks for 32 million to buy a medium house, would be 42 days, each day you would need (32 million divided by 42 days)  would mean you need  761,000  gil per a day to be able to buy your house after six weeks.

Can you farm 761,000 gil per a day, and how do you do that with the new 2.1 economy?

Aldgoat hides give 30 gil each,  fleece is 45g each is around 10k an hour....    How is 10k an hour going to supply you 761k a day...  That would be 76 hours worth of fleece farming per a day.  Do you think you can even sell that much fleece in one day?

materia farming?   You'll need atleast 16 materia IV's and sell them all each per a day and pray you don't lose gil instead of gaining gil.    With no parties around for you to do this all day, and the rate at which people will buy them at, would not even come close to paying for your house in six weeks.

Treasure hunts?   the maps can only be farmed 1 time every 18 hours and sell for 30k each on auction....   You would need to sell 25 maps on auction per a day and have them all sell every day for Six weeks straight....  Impossible.

There are many ways to make gil, your right, not enough ways to pay for your house after SIX WEEKS.

As far as gear goes... your saying throw that 90 piece of gear from a raid you just raided in the bank and be close minded enough to think only one piece of gear from primals for certain slots should be sloted there.....

Why even raid if you cant even use EVERY piece of gear that drops as an UPGRADE to lvl 70 gear?

FULL ALLAGAN IS NOT ENOUGH ACCURACY...   Idk what class you are, but that's definatly not even close for BLM, which the entire set is only 95 accuracy,  food only gives 8 max....    When I wear full 90 gear, I'm sitting with food at 410 accuracy, meaning I have to put on darklight earrings lvl 70,  darklight gloves lvl 70.  while letting other 90 gear sit in the bank.

I had bards on raids that have passed on just about every piece of bard gear in coil just because the accuracy is not on it.

ALSO for anyone who doesn't have full allagan its just too bad you don't?   You should have to throw the 90 gear you did just in your raid in the bank so someday you might be able to use it when you do get full allagan months from now?  How is that even close to fair for all the time you put into raiding it?

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

...how true.  I first found this a refreshing update of a EQ or Van WoW.  Then after no pvp or open world pvp, and the lack of endgame content past Turn's 1-5.....it got old fast.  Then trying their version of PVP .....um no thanks, I am also done.  Guess Ill be taking a break till AA or WS.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

No your numbers are wrong.  First of all it isn't the "Max numbers", nor is it of world group 3, those were from the previous announcement.  It is now matching the cheapest server, and not at their initial pricing but equal at the time.  All housing is reduced on an hourly basis, and then legacy is further reduced in proportion to the base lowest server's price.

But even using your wrong numbers it would not take 450k a day to buy a medium sized house which are only 15,000,000 initially, and at 90 days will be close to or more than 50% less (as they said further adjustments will be made in January).  So that means 8,000 at most for a medium sized house.

So as an FC you only actually have to raise 88k a day over 90 days.  Or 400k a person for your typical 20 person Free Company.  Not exactly something to cry about.

Maybe what your missing is that I was a new player starting on legacy, the one where the producers said they know that the new players on legacy servers wont probably ever get a house?   He said just wait and be patient....   Like over six weeks patient....  which is 1 month and half...   If they can play games like this now, whats next when personal housing comes, or the next raid dungeons?     If they are going to say hey wait longer then six weeks, why should I pay them to wait for content that should have been accessible to me at launch? 

Farming is shot, and so is crafting, my two most enjoyable ways to earn gil, and should be at the top of the list of main ways to make gil in a game....     Why should I take months to farm and craft to get access to content I enjoy like a FC house?  I personaly wont do six weeks of farming for an FC house, neither with other FC members...   So I'll take a break until this is fixed also.

They also  literally changed raid gear for the worse in 2.1 so much that the people complained and they had to change it back to the old gear it was before....    How can a game mess up something as important as raiding gear for players??   Why should I wait for them to fix raid gear...  gain my title of post says it all.  I'm taking a break till they fix it.

They change raid gear, they change all the good stuff to farm to make gil, and they increase tomestones to such a point they went from 25k to practacly 7k overnight with such a flooded market you'll be lucky to get them sold...    Why do all these things to players?

Legacy small houses are 25 million starting, and will be 9 million after the six weeks...   Idk where you got the 15 mill starting price from.

If you wanted me to live in a small house....    9 mill ending price from 25 mill starting that's 214k a day for 42 days straight ... sure I could afford that after six weeks....    One room FC house that looks like a player house after six weeks.....   I'd rather take a break from the game and wait till someday I can have a two story FC house, thanks.

Maybe what your missing is that I was a new player starting on legacy, the one where the producers said they know that the new players on legacy servers wont probably ever get a house?   He said just wait and be patient....   Like over six weeks patient....  which is 1 month and half...   If they can play games like this now, whats next when personal housing comes, or the next raid dungeons?     If they are going to say hey wait longer then six weeks, why should I pay them to wait for content that should have been accessible to me at launch? 

Farming is shot, and so is crafting, my two most enjoyable ways to earn gil, and should be at the top of the list of main ways to make gil in a game....     Why should I take months to farm and craft to get access to content I enjoy like a FC house?  I personaly wont do six weeks of farming for an FC house, neither with other FC members...   So I'll take a break until this is fixed also.

They also  literally changed raid gear for the worse in 2.1 so much that the people complained and they had to change it back to the old gear it was before....    How can a game mess up something as important as raiding gear for players??   Why should I wait for them to fix raid gear...  gain my title of post says it all.  I'm taking a break till they fix it.

They change raid gear, they change all the good stuff to farm to make gil, and they increase tomestones to such a point they went from 25k to practacly 7k overnight with such a flooded market you'll be lucky to get them sold...    Why do all these things to players?

lol

There are so many ways to get accuracy through the new primal jewelry it is not an issue at all even if you did have armor that they "messed up".  Also again why not just eat accuracy food, or are you seriously that far below the cap?  Which is frankly impossible if you really have a full set of allagan gear as you claim.

And new player or not contributing 450k in an FC of 20 people is not impossible at all.  Even if you did not craft or farm you could make that amount just playing and doing dungeons etc. regularly.

Obviously you feel entitled to way more than this MMORPG is ever going to offer you (because it will never offer you all these things on day one LIKE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO!!!!!!!!!!!), so I suggest you just move on and find another game.  I know you just want an audience to hear you complain but your issues are not as dramatic as you make them sound.

lol

There are so many ways to get accuracy through the new primal jewelry it is not an issue at all.

And new player or not contributing 450k in an FC of 20 people is not impossible at all.  Even if you did not craft or farm you could make that amount just playing and doing dungeons etc. regularly.

Obviously you feel entitled to way more than this MMORPG is ever going to offer you (because it will never offer you all these things on day one LIKE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO!!!!!!!!!!!), so I suggest you just move on and find another game.

So why get jewelry lvl 90 in coil then?    Primals are not raids,   Coil is Raiding....   Why raid at all then if coil jewelry is worthless to use to obtain the stats needed to raid Coil in the first place?

450k a day would require many many hours,  You are assuming all 20 of your FC wants to spend hours a day farming so they can have a medium guildhouse after SIX WEEKS straight....  Why should 20 people have to farm hours a day to get an FC guildhouse which should NOT be a major part of the economy?   Why shouldn't all that gil instead go to crafters to supply them with furnishings?

And yes I do feel entitiled to way more in this MMORPG then in real life, because its a game, and games shouldn't make you have unenjoyable work for hours on end for months straight...   Why play an mmo for fun if its just going to be work?

WE play mmos for fun to escape from work, not the other way around...  so you bet I feel entitled to something as basic as housing in every mmo....

EQ2 housing for example, a huge dimensional pocket that I was able to build a whole house inside of...  how much time did I farm for it?   ZERO......   My farming and gold went to crafting the items in my house that I found enjoyable, not the right to own it.

Yes, I will be taking a break till some sort of sanity is restored to all these issues,  I think we can all agree on that and is exactly what my post is about.  /end rant.

P.S.  You know for four months there, I really thought Yoshi-P was on the side of the players and knew what we wanted and was upfront and honest to us all the way..   Until 2.1,  now I feel he just became another CEO and fell into the old way of thinking of previous Producers and hasn't been upfront with players anymore.... It breaks my heart to see it, he was a good producer till 2.1, I hope Yoshi-P finds himself again.  When he does, i'll be ready to return.

Ummm, I just stated what you just said in my post....  I'm using the same numbers as you.  You basicly ignored everything I said and said exactly what I said...  You probably wont read this one either fully but I'll post it anyways as a last attempt.

Let me make it simple for you...  6 weeks for 32 million to buy a medium house, would be 42 days, each day you would need (32 million divided by 42 days)  would mean you need  761,000  gil per a day to be able to buy your house after six weeks.

Can you farm 761,000 gil per a day, and how do you do that with the new 2.1 economy?

Aldgoat hides give 30 gil each,  fleece is 45g each is around 10k an hour....    How is 10k an hour going to supply you 761k a day...  That would be 76 hours worth of fleece farming per a day.  Do you think you can even sell that much fleece in one day?

materia farming?   You'll need atleast 16 materia IV's and sell them all each per a day and pray you don't lose gil instead of gaining gil.    With no parties around for you to do this all day, and the rate at which people will buy them at, would not even come close to paying for your house in six weeks.

Treasure hunts?   the maps can only be farmed 1 time every 18 hours and sell for 30k each on auction....   You would need to sell 25 maps on auction per a day and have them all sell every day for Six weeks straight....  Impossible.

There are many ways to make gil, your right, not enough ways to pay for your house after SIX WEEKS.

As far as gear goes... your saying throw that 90 piece of gear from a raid you just raided in the bank and be close minded enough to think only one piece of gear from primals for certain slots should be sloted there.....

Why even raid if you cant even use EVERY piece of gear that drops as an UPGRADE to lvl 70 gear?

FULL ALLAGAN IS NOT ENOUGH ACCURACY...   Idk what class you are, but that's definatly not even close for BLM, which the entire set is only 95 accuracy,  food only gives 8 max....    When I wear full 90 gear, I'm sitting with food at 410 accuracy, meaning I have to put on darklight earrings lvl 70,  darklight gloves lvl 70.  while letting other 90 gear sit in the bank.

I had bards on raids that have passed on just about every piece of bard gear in coil just because the accuracy is not on it.

ALSO for anyone who doesn't have full allagan its just too bad you don't?   You should have to throw the 90 gear you did just in your raid in the bank so someday you might be able to use it when you do get full allagan months from now?  How is that even close to fair for all the time you put into raiding it?

Where do you keep getting 450k a day.  I said if everyone in a 20 person FC (average sized) donated 450k you could get a medium house in 90 days.  Or as an FC 88k a day from the entire FC combined.  Not going to break the bank of anyone who plays regularly.  If you don't play regularly (well you quit so this doesn't apply to you) then simply join a larger FC where you don't have to contribute as much or at all.  Also your 32 million number is wrong, all your numbers are wrong you simply do not know what you are talking about.  But if it makes you feel better to get all this rage out...

Also yes full allaghan+ food is enough accuracy., but most people mix and match from different sets.  Like they do in every MMORPG with more than one endgame set. 

You can get much more than 8 accuracy from many different types of food, and for example Lava Toad Legs give 27 accuracy. 

And no coil is not "raiding" it is 8 person, which is the same as extreme primals.  I'd say extreme primals are actually tougher fights than coil, so you are just reaching for excuses at this point.

• SengellSengell Member UncommonPosts: 30

Sorry, but saying you leave a game cause you think economy is imbalanced and feeling frustrated that housing is out of reach in a massively game, sounds a bit odd to me.

SE designed the game to make every player a winner. I think that is silly to begin with cause for myself it kills the reason to play at all. But since SE is in desperate need of a distinct feature between players, if it's not gameplaywise, it seems to be housing. The one fruit which is out of reach and shall motivate people to keep going.

I read an interesting opinion yesterday. I think it's far more reason to quit FFXIV.

quote:

delete5230, Advanced Member, Joined: 8/15/07; Posts: 2223; 12/28/13 6:16:00 AM#12, wrote

Way to instanced

Way to easy

Way to solo

Dungeons use a dungeon finder

You have your own story chain that must be done solo and it has a few hundred parts to it that will make you run around the entire world solving very simple short quest.

Dungeons can be fun but short. They can be fun figuring out each dungeon trick, but once known, they don't have any replay value except loot ( by now everyone is your groups will already know how to play them ).

My opinion :

Graphics are nice but every zone on each continent looks the same.  No caves, no keeps, nothing to explore. You will know what's on the other side of every hill...Same old stuff.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

It's sad when you can easily list numerous reasons that FFXI was good and worth playing and really only 1 to play FFXIV.  Graphics.

I hope they refurbish FFXI one day, it's still the better game.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

It's sad when you can easily list numerous reasons that FFXI was good and worth playing and really only 1 to play FFXIV.  Graphics.

Rose tinted glasses.

FFXI was amazing for its time.  I spent 2 years playing and loving every minute of it.  I tried to go back and play it, I wanted to rip my hair out.   

I enjoy FFXIV currently very much.  Best PvE game i've played in the longest time.  The only two other games where I thoroughly enjoyed PvE was Rift for 5 months and Vanilla Wow + first 2 expansions.

Other than that, everything else was forgetable.   Though i also enjoyed Star Wars for the single player stories, other than that FFXIV is the best mmo i've played in 3-4 years.  But of course, that is my opinion and the only one that really counts.  

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by ZizouX

Rose tinted glasses.

Rose tinted glasses has nothing to do with it. FFXI kept me - and many, many others - entertained for almost 8 years, until the unholy trinity known as Abyssea came out and basically undermined everything SE had built up 'til that point. Even SE came out later and admitted they screwed up with Abyssea, and they never recovered from it.

I would take pre-Abyssea FFXI back in a heart beat. No question.

And that's not nostalgia goggles or rose-tinted glasses talking. That's almost 8 years of awesome memories created, epic experiences, new friends made whom I still talk to to this day, stories I never tired of experiencing, memorable/funny/awesome characters, and a world I never got tired of exploring, no matter how many times I ran through it.  

In my humble opinion, SE captured lightning in a bottle with XI. I'm sure it was due, in no small part, to Sakaguchi's involvement, as XI was one of the last titles he worked on before he left SE. Of course, they later squandered and lost that lightning when they decided to release Abyssea. It's been downhill since then. 

Was it all roses and rainbows? Nope. I have my share of bad memories, too. But they are few and ultimately insignificant, and had no effect on my enjoyment of the game.

Would a game like early XI do as well if it launched today? Probably not. But that takes nothing away from the game it was.

Others around here can speak for themselves, but of all the people I know from XI, only 2 are still playing. All the others (quite a lot) have left. The #1 reason they cite for leaving is "Abyssea ruined it". They'd still be there playing if SE hadn't screwed up the game the way they did with those expansions. I'd be right there along side them.

For me, XIV doesn't even hold a candle to XI - even early on. Yoshi-P is quite dead-set in following the WoW-style Themepark path (per his own say-so). As long as he sticks to that, the game will never have the depth, variety or soul that XI had. For one, he'd have to drop the "strong guidance" (his words) - aka 'handholding' - and let players become more responsible for finding their own way around, rather than just mindlessly chasing arrows and quest markers. And  you know that's never going to happen.

FFXI was amazing for its time.  I spent 2 years playing and loving every minute of it.  I tried to go back and play it, I wanted to rip my hair out.   

Fair enough. The game wasn't as deeply rooted in you as it is in others. That doesn't mean their memories or longing for the game can be dismissed as "rose-tinted glasses". 

Sorry for the rant, but I really hate that "rose-tinted glasses" argument. It is presumptuous in the extreme. You aren't them. You don't know what they remember, or how they remember it.

Originally posted by TangentPoint

Rose tinted glasses.

Rose tinted glasses has nothing to do with it. FFXI kept me - and many, many others - entertained for almost 8 years, until the unholy trinity known as Abyssea came out and basically undermined everything SE had built up 'til that point. Even SE came out later and admitted they screwed up with Abyssea, and they never recovered from it.

I would take pre-Abyssea FFXI back in a heart beat. No question.

And that's not nostalgia goggles or rose-tinted glasses talking. That's almost 8 years of awesome memories created, epic experiences, new friends made whom I still talk to to this day, stories I never tired of experiencing, memorable/funny/awesome characters, and a world I never got tired of exploring, no matter how many times I ran through it.  

In my humble opinion, SE captured lightning in a bottle with XI. I'm sure it was due, in no small part, to Sakaguchi's involvement, as XI was one of the last titles he worked on before he left SE. Of course, they later squandered and lost that lightning when they decided to release Abyssea. It's been downhill since then. 

Was it all roses and rainbows? Nope. I have my share of bad memories, too. But they are few and ultimately insignificant, and had no effect on my enjoyment of the game.

Would a game like early XI do as well if it launched today? Probably not. But that takes nothing away from the game it was.

Others around here can speak for themselves, but of all the people I know from XI, only 2 are still playing. All the others (quite a lot) have left. The #1 reason they cite for leaving is "Abyssea ruined it". They'd still be there playing if SE hadn't screwed up the game the way they did with those expansions. I'd be right there along side them.

For me, XIV doesn't even hold a candle to XI - even early on. Yoshi-P is quite dead-set in following the WoW-style Themepark path (per his own say-so). As long as he sticks to that, the game will never have the depth, variety or soul that XI had. For one, he'd have to drop the "strong guidance" (his words) - aka 'handholding' - and let players become more responsible for finding their own way around, rather than just mindlessly chasing arrows and quest markers. And  you know that's never going to happen.

Fair enough. The game wasn't as deeply rooted in you as it is in others. That doesn't mean their memories or longing for the game can be dismissed as "rose-tinted glasses". 

Sorry for the rant, but I really hate that "rose-tinted glasses" argument. It is presumptuous in the extreme. You aren't them. You don't know what they remember, or how they remember it.

It went downhill long before Abyssea, the reason most people point to Abyssea is because it killed much of the old content/obsoleted the gear they had worked for years on so they no longer were tied to their characters.

However, regardless of how great FFXI was.  FFXI today is not that FFXI, and neither is any other game on the market or in development.  FFXIV is absolutely the closest you can get to that, it has many of the same people working on it, and while not perfect it does offer a good PvE experience for those interested in it (except it doesn't offer any true alliance content yet).

Aside from: to rant, what is the point of bringing up old school FFXI?  It's gone and that type of MMORPG will probably never be made again, at least not until the technology to produce and run MMORPG's becomes much cheaper (or people learn to live with cheaply made games).

However I don't think most people playing FFXIV are playing it simply for the graphics as Amber-R was suggesting, but that is obvious they weren't really suggesting that they are just *REDACTED*-ing.

I will say if your main draw to FFXI was the quests that didn't offer you arrows in game or markers then you missed out on a lot of great experiences.  To me it was the vast expanse of progression options for gil, gear, and jobs all of which you could do with friends that made FFXI special.  FFXIV could certainly deliver that if they continue to expand content regardless of it having "markers above NPC heads to denote quest givers".

Honestly what a shallow complaint.  Most people just looked up that information on 3rd party sites anyways.  Complaining about quests being "ruined" by markers on maps and above quest givers is such a minor thing.  If you want to talk about "hand holding" and "easy-mode gaming" MMORPG gaming in recent years has been far more damaged by the spread of "youtube strategies" than anything in-game that "hand holds" people.

• SengellSengell Member UncommonPosts: 30

In my eyes convenience changes doesn't matter.

For me only one thing matters, so please tell me. How many people have beaten the game yet? If you answer nearly everyone who invested enough time, it's not worth the challenge. A mmo which makes everyone a winner by default, has no incentive to be played by me. Not because I am a great player, I'm far from it, but because I want to be rewarded for never giving up and constantly trying my best. In an environment where everyone wins I can't experience that. A mmo has to possess endgame conent which is incredible hard to beat, otherwise there are no dreams left. My 2cent as a former EQ2 raider.

Originally posted by TangentPoint

It went downhill long before Abyssea, the reason most people point to Abyssea is because it killed much of the old content/obsoleted the gear they had worked for years on so they no longer were tied to their characters.

I disagree completely with the bit in blue. It had begun to decline in population, just as any MMO its age does, for the same reasons any other MMO its age does. However, Abyssea sped up the process significantly.

It's difficult to argue numbers as few, if any, were ever released for that time period. However, the timing of their world merges paints a pretty clear picture of how things went down.

Consider that the first server merge, which came shortly before Abyssea's release, happened almost 8 years into the game's life, in early 2010. Its second server merge was just over 1 year later, in 2011, only about 4 months after Heroes of Abyssea completed the trilogy. Not only did those expansions, and other updates around it, fail to bring in many new players, it actually led to an even faster loss of population - a large chunk of whom cited Abyssea and other game-altering changes as their reason for leaving. 

In a nut-shell, pre-Abyssea, it took nearly 8 years for the population to drop enough to warrant a first world merge. It only took 1 year more (in which Abyssea was released) for the population drop to warrant a second merge. Through all its previous expansions, XI maintained a consistent/steady population. Following Abyssea, it's been on a significant decline - despite all of SE's efforts to "put it back on track". They screwed up with Abyssea, and even SE has come out and admitted that. They lost the plot, they changed their focus and they made changes that very few asked for or wanted. The results have been clear.

However, regardless of how great FFXI was.  FFXI today is not that FFXI, and neither is any other game on the market or in development.  FFXIV is absolutely the closest you can get to that, it has many of the same people working on it, and while not perfect it does offer a good PvE experience for those interested in it (except it doesn't offer any true alliance content yet).

I disagree. There are games out there that are much closer to what XI was. Sadly, those are also older-school games that the newer, so-called "modern MMO gamer" wouldn't touch... because they're "old". 

Aside from: to rant, what is the point of bringing up old school FFXI?  It's gone and that type of MMORPG will probably never be made again, at least not until the technology to produce and run MMORPG's becomes much cheaper (or people learn to live with cheaply made games).

When people cite problems they have with XIV (or any game), they're often asked to offer alternatives; examples of "what game did it better". FFXI is not only a valid option in that scenario, being another MMO, but it's especially so being a direct "relative" to XIV developed by- as you stated - many of the same people.

I will say if your main draw to FFXI was the quests that didn't offer you arrows in game or markers then you missed out on a lot of great experiences.  To me it was the vast expanse of progression options for gil, gear, and jobs all of which you could do with friends that made FFXI special.  FFXIV could certainly deliver that if they continue to expand content regardless of it having "markers above NPC heads to denote quest givers".

Allow me to quote myself, with emphasis on a key bit that you overlooked...

For me, XIV doesn't even hold a candle to XI - even early on. Yoshi-P is quite dead-set in following the WoW-style Themepark path (per his own say-so). As long as he sticks to that, the game will never have the depth, variety or soul that XI had. For one, he'd have to drop the "strong guidance" (his words) - aka 'handholding' - and let players become more responsible for finding their own way around, rather than just mindlessly chasing arrows and quest markers. And  you know that's never going to happen

The words "for one" are rather key there. I was citing the idea of chasing quest arrows as one example of what I was talking about. I could list many more, but the one example seemed to be sufficient, and a rather key one as the presence of heavy-handed "guidance" (again, Yoshi-P's term) has an undeniable affect on gameplay, community/player interaction, the meta-game, etc.

Honestly what a shallow complaint.  Most people just looked up that information on 3rd party sites anyways.  Complaining about quests being "ruined" by markers on maps and above quest givers is such a minor thing.  If you want to talk about "hand holding" and "easy-mode gaming" MMORPG gaming in recent years has been far more damaged by the spread of "youtube strategies" than anything in-game that "hand holds" people.

An often made, but always poor argument. Players choose to go use those online guides and strategies. It's a voluntary act to seek assistance outside the game. This falls into the category of people claiming no MMO content is difficult because there are walkthrough guides. It's a ridiculous argument that's as transparently flawed as it is avoidable. 

To wit, don't use the guides, figure out the fights and quest solutions yourself and voila... suddenly it's challenging again!

It would be silly to argue that a SUV isn't heavy because you can use a forklift to pick it up. It's equally silly to claim no MMO has challenging content because you can use guides/videos/templates to get through it.

Youtube vids and walkthrough guides can be avoided. Quest markers/helpers/arrows/indicators which are pervasive and "always on", can not be.

And before someone says "yeah but how many people didn't use those guides and walkthroughs?", I'll cut it off by saying... it doesn't matter. It was still optional. I solved everything I could on my own, using only the info the game gave me. If I was completely stuck, I'd ask another player for help. Failing that, I might then refer to a guide, but only for the part I was stuck on. I'd say about 70% of the content I did, I did on my own. So, it's quite do-able.

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451

XI was dying before Abysea came out. Just as WoW is rapidly dying now as well. It was not due to anything besides the fact after that many years the game gets old. But the people who were there right before abysea launched were very dedicated to the game.

Abysea is the reason though the majority of people playing at that time left. I had a guild of 59 active players (active as in 30+hrs a week of playtime... not active it todays mmo standards of 10hrs a week)... abysea came out 10quit almost immediantly because they ruined almost 6strait years of hardwork for gear hand outs. Almost everyone else left when people realized a party of 4 now could litteraly accomplish the same if not more then an alliance of 18+ in about 2hrs. All the longterm goals were removed. The best weapon took a week to get, and it could be soloed with some skill. Before it took the work of a guild and took depending on the guild 1month-1yr.

SE tried to turn XI into a mainstream style game with abysea and this last expansion. By doing so they pushed away the MAJORITY of the people who wanted to keep playing it. It is the #1 reason why when XIV 1.0 failed so few people returned to XI.

Abysea killed off guilds, removed the need for alliances, linear progression by making gear BIS for all stats and buffs, and focused on low man and instance rewards.... Should sound familiar to anyone playing XIV currently. It is a model proven to fail, it is only good for quick thrills and short life.

The people who were very active in XI in general hated the style of WoW's endgame. SE pushed XI and XIV into that style. It is why there is so much resistance to Yoshida's plan now, why XIV is having so many of the same issues the other clones are having, and why XI is a shadow of its former self.

Call it rose tinted graphics or whatever, but it is the hard facts. If SE did not release abysea they would of kept losing subs at about a 5-8% pace a year what they were averaging since wow launched... but they would of not lost 55% of them in the first year after the release of the mini-expansions.

As for current XIV, this game will not make it unless the devs do something. Waiting I guess is the only thing to do. If the devs change course they have a shot, if they keep going full steam into the iceburg ahead... well we all know what happened with that ship. The current path just has too many game breaking issues for a long term mmo to have.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Xatsh

XI was dying before Abysea came out. Just as WoW is rapidly dying now as well. It was not due to anything besides the fact after that many years the game gets old. But the people who were there right before abysea launched were very dedicated to the game.

Abysea is the reason though the majority of people playing at that time left. I had a guild of 59 active players (active as in 30+hrs a week of playtime... not active it todays mmo standards of 10hrs a week)... abysea came out 10quit almost immediantly because they ruined almost 6strait years of hardwork for gear hand outs. Almost everyone else left when people realized a party of 4 now could litteraly accomplish the same if not more then an alliance of 18+ in about 2hrs. All the longterm goals were removed. The best weapon took a week to get, and it could be soloed with some skill. Before it took the work of a guild and took depending on the guild 1month-1yr.

SE tried to turn XI into a mainstream style game with abysea and this last expansion. By doing so they pushed away the MAJORITY of the people who wanted to keep playing it. It is the #1 reason why when XIV 1.0 failed so few people returned to XI.

Abysea killed off guilds, removed the need for alliances, linear progression by making gear BIS for all stats and buffs, and focused on low man and instance rewards.... Should sound familiar to anyone playing XIV currently. It is a model proven to fail, it is only good for quick thrills and short life.

The people who were very active in XI in general hated the style of WoW's endgame. SE pushed XI and XIV into that style. It is why there is so much resistance to Yoshida's plan now, why XIV is having so many of the same issues the other clones are having, and why XI is a shadow of its former self.

Call it rose tinted graphics or whatever, but it is the hard facts. If SE did not release abysea they would of kept losing subs at about a 5-8% pace a year what they were averaging since wow launched... but they would of not lost 55% of them in the first year after the release of the mini-expansions.

As for current XIV, this game will not make it unless the devs do something. Waiting I guess is the only thing to do. If the devs change course they have a shot, if they keep going full steam into the iceburg ahead... well we all know what happened with that ship. The current path just has too many game breaking issues for a long term mmo to have.

XIV is doing great, they have over a million active subs and servers are usually packed during prime time and they announced that they are adding more servers for the steam and PS4 release.

Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

XIV is doing great, they have over a million active subs and servers are usually packed during prime time and they announced that they are adding more servers for the steam and PS4 release.

Can you cite your source for that, please, because I can not find anything to corroborate it.

The closest I've seen is that they have ~1.5 accounts. That's not the same as active subscribers. That's just the number of people who've created accounts for the game (including those who were carried over from 1.0).

The most recent info I can find on active subscribers (the number you addressed) is somewhere North of 600k, as of  November 6.

Here's my source

I've not been able to find any update since then with new numbers, certainly not over 1 million active subs. Perhaps you can cite a more recent source.

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

I was a 1.0 player and loved the game. I have been playing 2.0 and love the game with all of its problems. I was super excited to finally get a house and start making it into my own. Like what i did in SWG or EQ2. Both of those game i spend months getting items to put in my house. I even out grew out of a few along the way and had to buy the bigger housing. So when FF14 came out with there Housing.  I logged in on 2.1 right away. I ran right over to the housing area. i was so excited.  Then i walked in. To my HORROR I saw the prices.

I have never been rich in FF14 i spend to much time lvling classes or just wasting time with firends. I dont like crafting . So it is very hard for me to keep my self around 500k. Let alone ever be able to come up with the prices that i saw for the lot or the house alone.

Untill they bring the prices down to were everybody can buy a starting house that does not cost millions. I am going to be throwing in my FF14 hat for a while. The Yoshi and the rest of the Higher ups at FF14 really need to rethink what they are doing for FF14. I know a bunch of people and friends that have quit over this stupid housing prices.