Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim story overrated // Fallout 4 writers

1235»

Comments

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by klash2def
    TBH one of the worst and just cringe worthy stories ever but still good game. second play through i literally ran around doing skyrim shit (mods).. because story isnt that good.  proof is Bethesda's fallout vs Obsidian's fallout. the latter was superior in the story section, the first was better looking (only a tad tbh)Bethesda knows great gameplay.. but they should hire the writers from bioware (or Obsidian) and do Fallout 4 proper. press 1 if u agree. *EDIT changed title so people dont get confused on Main Quests / Overall story & writing* 

Your still confused ALOT.

Skyrim have some nice story but its mainly about making your own story the core gameplay is about freedom and seek your own story plus mods.

If i want story in a rpg i play a bioware game or wait for The Witcher 3.

Bethesda never promote there games to be story driffen game, they are about open world, freedom and mods with some story which are not that bad just not as deep as some other games.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Skyrim's story is awful. Didn't realize people thought it was good. The open world is why you play that game, not for the terrible main quest.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Yeah, ignoring the main quest and just doing my own thing is pretty much why I like Skyrim. Not sure who is overrating Skyrim's story.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Classicstar

Originally posted by klash2def
    TBH one of the worst and just cringe worthy stories ever but still good game. second play through i literally ran around doing skyrim shit (mods).. because story isnt that good.  

proof is Bethesda's fallout vs Obsidian's fallout. the latter was superior in the story section, the first was better looking (only a tad tbh)

Bethesda knows great gameplay.. but they should hire the writers from bioware (or Obsidian) and do Fallout 4 proper. press 1 if u agree.

*EDIT changed title so people dont get confused on Main Quests / Overall story & writing* 

Your still confused ALOT.

Skyrim have some nice story but its mainly about making your own story the core gameplay is about freedom and seek your own story plus mods.

If i want story in a rpg i play a bioware game or wait for The Witcher 3.

Bethesda never promote there games to be story driffen game, they are about open world, freedom and mods with some story which are not that bad just not as deep as some other games.

What is he confused about?  You are essentially agreeing that Skyrim wasn't designed around good story.  The only disagreement is he thinks that the story should be improved in future Bethesda games, and you think they do other things well enough that they don't need the story to be good too.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• TazxorTazxor Member Posts: 1

I feel that FO:NV had some of the best RPG writing of the modern age. I believe that games in the RPG Genre should make an effort to tie your character into the world, establish context and attachment to his or her story in a meaningful way. I think that they should make your role in the world a very important part of the game. FO:NV does this by giving you the absolute freedom  of moral choice, allowing you to select from three very different factions with three very different philosophies. It makes it so that your choices can, and will effect the lives of every single individual who lives in or visits the Mojave wasteland.  This helps to identify your character in a very real way, not only in a *look at the kool things ive done* way (like Skyrim) but also in a way that describes his character and ethical values, and his place in the Mojave.

Skyrim's appeal comes from more of a GTA style of game play, where the character can goof off and do what ever he wants, without having to worry about anyone or anything else. Now, this isnt necessarily a bad thing, but where Skyrim goes wrong is when it decides to make the entire world center around the main story line. In GTA, the main story is something that only involves you and a relatively small selection of your friends gaining wealth and fame (generally), and it offers you other ways to accomplish this task without ever even starting the main quest. In Skyrim, however, your character is literally birthed out of the events of the main story line, and his only identity/role in the world is to complete the quest laid out before him and slay Alduin. Sure, you can ignore this quest and go have a wank with the mages guild for a few days, but in the context of the game, this decision makes absolutely no sense. Each quest has a sense of apocalyptic urgency to it, a seriousness which your character would have to be literally insane to ignore. In a contextual manner, it forces you to continue upon this dull and uninspired quest line until its completion, offering almost no explanation of the events which are occurring around you, and absolutely no choice to develop your character as a character. In fact, I found the only way to find any immersion what so ever in this game was to play it like I was just an immigrant trying to strike it rich in the untamed dungeons of skyrim, ignoring every major quest line in the game. I feel, that as a game in the RPG genre, that qualifies as a complete and utter failure.

Please don't take this post as a blasting of the game.... I have spent over 400 hours playing and modding this game since its release, and I have enjoyed myself. But an RPG this game is not, and I feel that what OP was trying to say/ask/discuss is that he would like definitive RPG writing to be re-implimented into Bethesda's products. And on that note, I would like to add that I think that Obsidian would be a welcome addition to their writing staff, however due to Biowares relationship with EA, and the implied relationship of FO4 and EA, I wouldn't be particularly excited to see them on the roster.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Kabaal
    The days of Bioware doing outstanding work is long gone. They are just a name now, one that has been chewed up by EA.

I wish I could disagree with that but Bioware started downwards fast after KOTOR. Until then they really aced one thing: Interesting and fun npc. With the Dragon age games I have kinda gotten 2 acceptable npcs and have to cram in one really annoying just to fill a 4 player party.

But EA is not really to blame, they started the downward spiral before they got involved. Not that they help either, EA is way too focused on having their developers doing sequels to older games instead of doing something new.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I agree that Skyrims story could have been better, it was still pretty good IMO. Ive never been a fan of Fallout games so i never got into the story but no matter how good they write a story for a fallout game i still have the sour taste of playing Fallout 3 in third person. Horrible gameplay. I didnt enjoy the first person so maybe if a new fallout game gets the level of gameplay polishing that Skyrim had (third person animations, mechanics, etc.)  then i would play it.

• ArazaleArazale Member Posts: 348
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but anytime i see someone praising Skyrim, it definitely isn't for its story, yet people still love it enmasse. So I guess what i'm saying is, who the fuck cares what the Fallout 4 writers say, since that isn't even one of the major reasons so many people love Skyrim.
  • VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    Please do not dig up and necro six month old threads.
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.