Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MO or DFUW?

RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

I started playing MO again (now that my comp can run it real smoothly) and I love it.  Huge world, deep crafting and the combat isn't half bad either.  Im not a PVP'er but like the idea of having to watch my back all the time.  I love exploration, Sandbox PVE stuff and crafting.  Which should I choose from?  

I played DF and liked that as well.  Just thought Id get some opinions on the 2 games compared to what I desire most.

Comments

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152

I would honestly say neither, go play Skyrim.. Lol

IMHO both of the games have good aspects, but neither is GOOD. They're OKAY at best, in my opinion. Although, I'd play DF:UW if it was F2P, or even B2P.. I kind of miss it, but I refuse to pay a monthly fee for it.

My honest opinion is DarkFall. I've played them both.. Although I didn't get far in MO, from what I could see, DF is better.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    If you like the game you're playing stop looking at the other guys lawn...it will always seem greener than yours.
  • RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    HAHA...yeah, played Skyrim til Skyrim told me to get a life....Way too many hours on it and don't want to play it anymore.  Also, I want the MMO feel especially in a risk reward environment, but one that has as many PVE elements as possible as well.  Call me a glutton for punishment :P

Originally posted by DamonVile
    If you like the game you're playing stop looking at the other guys lawn...it will always seem greener than yours.

I think you are right...but I can't stop lookin :P

• YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326
    Originally posted by Randayn

I started playing MO again (now that my comp can run it real smoothly) and I love it.  Huge world, deep crafting and the combat isn't half bad either.  Im not a PVP'er but like the idea of having to watch my back all the time.  I love exploration, Sandbox PVE stuff and crafting.  Which should I choose from?  

I played DF and liked that as well.  Just thought Id get some opinions on the 2 games compared to what I desire most.

Well I think MO is more of a sandbox than DF... they have local banks, local AH, local everything while DF has global banks, etc... This creates a much more alive economy... Also, in MO, the crafting is way better and deeper... Theres alot of PvE profesions like tamers, miners, alchemists (this one is really hard for new players), cooks, etc.

Melee combat with MO is way better and more skill based, with directional blocking/parrying and counter attacks... but since magic in MO is a placeholder Id say DF has a better magic system...

which one would you say has more PVE content?  Not quests, but just PVE content

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    I thought MO was one of the worst MMORPGs I have ever tried. Haven't touched DF.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    DF:UW hands down. Good game if you can find a good clan and can put the hours in.
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    I thought MO was one of the worst MMORPGs I have ever tried. Haven't touched DF.

It used to be very buggy but they fixed most of the bugs now, and the game is shaping up pretty well, next year its gonna release on steam so its getting improved alot....

and OP, the PvE in MO is not that great compared to the PVP.... some mobs got glitchy AI and pathing, I dunno about DF pve tho...

• bibensdbibensd Member UncommonPosts: 58
    my issue with both of these sandbox mmo's is there didnt seem to be enough sand in the box to me, more just crafting and murdering. currently waiting on the shadowbane emulator project and playing swg emu sometimes
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I played DF for a few years and I loved it. I just got to a point where I wanted more, so I started exploring games and now Wurm has me hooked.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Sterlin22Sterlin22 Member UncommonPosts: 16

I've tried both before.

I like Mortal Online's crafting system a bit better than Darkfall's, and I like how the resources are spread out through the map, and the incorporation of the ability to "steal" and the lack of a safezone is definitely a positive, as is the free to play mode (though it's obviously pay-to-win), but Darkfall Unholy Wars is simply superior. It's just more polished and has a better development team, it's more promising. 

In the end I don't play either anymore, haven't played Darkfall in around 6 months and I haven't played Mortal Online in about 8 or so, but as of my opinion in regards to memory, Darkfall is superior. Stay away from both if you can manage it though. 

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344

DF:UW isn't perfect by any means and has one of the worst developers in the world behind it (Aventurine)... but it is still a fun game and somewhat polished.

Mortal Online is a massive turd in comparison.  MO has a lot of cools ideas...but they are implemented about as well as a 10th grade computer science class project.   SV however is a much better company.

Originally posted by indef

DF:UW isn't perfect by any means and has one of the worst developers in the world behind it (Aventurine)... but it is still a fun game and somewhat polished.

Mortal Online is a massive turd in comparison.  MO has a lot of cools ideas...but they are implemented about as well as a 10th grade computer science class project.   SV however is a much better company.

I think your pain is yours to have but dont you think suggesting that AV is worse then all the AAA developers is a bit much?

Zenimax for example perhaps?

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by SmellyNanner

I would honestly say neither, go play Skyrim.. Lol

Was just going to post this.  LOL.

IMO Darkfall seems more like a turd than MO... yeah it might be more polished, but the game srsly looks like wow graphics wise and their class system is atrocious, only thing I liked is their magic system, melee was really a joke...

Also MO devs are way more involved in their community than the AV guys... actually answering questions in the forums and such... they really care about their game

Originally posted by YoungCaesar

IMO Darkfall seems more like a turd than MO... yeah it might be more polished, but the game srsly looks like wow graphics wise and their class system is atrocious, only thing I liked is their magic system, melee was really a joke...

Also MO devs are way more involved in their community than the AV guys... actually answering questions in the forums and such... they really care about their game

Darkfall like WoW graphics?

Come on guys I get that some really hate the game and/or the company but really?

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I bought DF:UW when it was on sale. Played it for a couple of hours and found out a couple of things:

1. AV still hasn't got the faintest clue of how to design a UI.

2. The world is still devoid of almost anything remotely interesting (it's HUGE so the interesting stuff might be just hidden really well).

3. Combat doesn't feel "right". When I swing my sword it passes through the enemy and only half a second later I know if I hit it or not. And no, it's not my Internet connection that is at fault.

4. Someon thinks it's alright to put stone walls around a city where there are 10 buildings and 6 people living in.

5. Graphics are quite pretty, especially the environment.

It's quite clear to me DF:UW is a guild vs guild PvP game and has little to offer outside of that. As someone who spent a crapload of time in UO just sitting in a tavern and chatting, building roadblocks out of crates made by myself and generally living in a world that felt like a real fantasy world, DF:UW is severely lacking.

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by tom_gore

I bought DF:UW when it was on sale. Played it for a couple of hours and found out a couple of things:

1. AV still hasn't got the faintest clue of how to design a UI.

2. The world is still devoid of almost anything remotely interesting (it's HUGE so the interesting stuff might be just hidden really well).

3. Combat doesn't feel "right". When I swing my sword it passes through the enemy and only half a second later I know if I hit it or not. And no, it's not my Internet connection that is at fault.

4. Someon thinks it's alright to put stone walls around a city where there are 10 buildings and 6 people living in.

5. Graphics are quite pretty, especially the environment.

It's quite clear to me DF:UW is a guild vs guild PvP game and has little to offer outside of that. As someone who spent a crapload of time in UO just sitting in a tavern and chatting, building roadblocks out of crates made by myself and generally living in a world that felt like a real fantasy world, DF:UW is severely lacking.

I did the same as this fella, and I agree with almost everything he posted. I want to say I do think its a pretty good game. I mean is more polished then I expected from some hate filled AV forums. But really there is not much to do and the world is lifeless. Not immersive at all. I have only logged 15 hours since buying it before christmas. I'm playing DayZ now FYI

• BahzBahz Member UncommonPosts: 182
    I tried Age of Conan yesterday and started on the blood & glory PVP server (no guards, player loot) and it looks fun so far.
  • SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

how does men compare MO with UW is beyond me..

These games have ONE similair element and that's open world..

Uw has nothing to do with a sandbox.. its all premade choices by the game itself..

UW:

Classes..

Prowness system.. is basicly a level questing system

Auction house

citybuilding is set into the world on determined places

If you want to play sandbox go play MO or eve online.. where you choices do matter

Sandbox = choices are made by the player. FREEDOM OF CHOICE.. in UW everything is setup

Or wait till half 2014.. when repopulation comes out

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Mortal Online is a game that released 3 years ago and has failed at every turn since then.  Currently I believe their development team consists of 3 people (1 onsite coder, one owner who helps code and one guy in Canada who was a player but now officially helps them).  It's truly one of the great wasted opportunities of recent times and proves that great features on paper do not make a great game.  Their problems go far beyond mere bugs though.  There were decisions that were made 5 years ago (choice of engine...) which continue to hamstring the game.  It probably has one of the worst NPC AI implementations of any game I have played.  The first version was created by an intern (no joke) and later iterations have had "mixed" results at best.

DarkFall Unholy Wars is a re-launch of a 3.5 year old game.  They upgraded some key parts (graphics) and wiped the world.  Unfortunately they also made some changes to the core of the game which just didn't work out as well as planned.  I think it's a game that you can have a lot of fun in for a few months, but after that it gets fairly boring as the capture points (cities, hamlets) are static so you just keep fighting over the same places.   It DOES have some absolutely fantastic ship combat though and you can amuse yourself for a long time with that if you can hook up with a few other players.

Long term I would say that neither game has a very bright future

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

thanks for all the input.  Im dying to play a sandbox type game that has some PVE content in it and isn't so outdated that it's almost not fun (SWGEMU).  I am waiting impatiently for The Repopulation...Im just looking for something to hold me over til then.  I might try DF since it's on sale right now and see which I like better of the two.  The greatest thing about MO is I can function in the game and do things without ever doing any real PVP...sure I'll get murdered and robbed, but tI don't mind that at all....actually adds to the excitement and planning.

• ilivesilives Member Posts: 418
    They are both turds, but DFUW is easily the better of the two.

Where have all the "good" shills gone?

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

I agree with Slapshot

i've played MO for years and was very much hooked to it right from the get go. Unfortunately i eventually had to give up hope that SV would fix the most basic flaws of the game and take proper action against exploiters. i loved the first person view, the combat, the taming/mount system, the pickables, the mounted combat, even the harvesting and crafting of it. to date MO it's the only mmo that has given me the same feel of freedom and immersion that i get from good old TES, but with other people around.

i've played the original DF and a bit of DFUW but i could never quite get hooked. the skill/stats gap was always in the way and i never found a good group of guys to play with. it also felt a lot like a medieval halo with all the magic and bunny hopping. i always found the graphics lacking.  i still believe DFUW is WAY more polished and mechanically sound as a game than MO, but it just doesn't do it for me. 

in the end they are both very ambitious games that turned out quite crappy. Neither of them is worth a subscription, and neither of them will ever become much more than it is right now. hopefully some of their better ideas will be taken and implemented in future games.