Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your favorite crafting system in any mmo and why?

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    SWG was the best crafting system I have ever seen. Been a long time so I could remember it wrong, and I only played the first release as well. Everyone's items were unique in quality depending on where you harvested materials from, some were better quality than others. Those who took their time to find the best mats had the best stuff, you could build a reputation off of your gear you sold. You also had your own true storefront where you could sell from and advertise your location on websites. I was an armorsmith and I could set up samples like mannequins in my store, was awesome. Also once you got a great material combination you could save it as a blueprint and mass produce it in factories you built wherever. As long as you had the mats in there you could set it to build whatever...100 copies, and they would be made while you logged or hunted. What an awesome system.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    SWG! it was super fun!

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540
    Istaria:Chronicles of the Gifted. Allows multi-classing, so your favourite Weaponsmith can be Jeweller too as well as all other school expert at the same time. Some schools intertwine: advancing one helps advance skills used in another. Ability to de-construct many things. And 100 levels to advance. It's just superb system.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by furbans

Originally posted by negativf4kk EVE -cause it got >>>>>>>meaning!

EVE by far is the best crafting hands down where there is an actual economy and one can be an actual trader if they so choose.  EVE has so many different aspects and complexity that any game pales in comparison to the depth that EVE offers.  It takes months to just get a basic grasp of the various aspects of the crafting and that is only scratching the surface.  While EVE is a very PvP centric game that I never cared much of, it does however have the best crafting I have ever experienced.

Pathfinder Online seems to be taking the complexity of EVE's crafting and economy which is one of the reasons it is on my radar.

I liked SWG better, but Eve is still here, and is a very close second. I played Eve for a couple of years and nearly all I did were crafting-centered activities, and it was very engrossing.

That was pretty much the same way I played SWG... placing extractors out on the actual planet seems a lot more fulfilling that running from asteroid belt or placing a moon mining rig out in space -- space really is vast, and it's all pretty much the same (although Eve makes it pretty).

Very similar all in all, with regard to crafting

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The only game i've ever played that had a truly complex, and yet still enjoyable crafting experience, where crafting actually mattered, because the only items available in game were those made by other players. Was SWG, no other game has ever approached the complexity of the crafting in this game, which is a real shame, because it seems since SWG the only types of crafting we get in games are usually of the WoW cookie cutter variety, almost without exception, and thats pretty boring from my perspective.image
  • ForgefeuForgefeu Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Ultima online. Oh the memory of harvesting ore from cliff on my boat then hiting my anvil while talking with friend in our player city. It maybe wasn't the most complexe crafting experience but damn was it immersive !
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

If youre talking about it in bigger terms of its relevance to the game, then EVE. No other game has as integrated an crafting system. If youre talking about the process itself, that's a tough one because I cant think of any MMO that has really made it enjoyable or logical. Probably WURM, as its the most realistic, if you don't mind carpal tunnel.

You can chop down various trees and make various quality wooden swords. Or you can dig underground, find some ore, transport it to your forge (which you had to build), use some tools (which you had to make) to make a metal swords. You can make a frying pan, catch a fish, put the fish in the pan, light a fire, put the pan on the fire and make fried fish.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Originally posted by darkedone02
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

In order

1. Wurm Online

2. Xyzon Online

3. Eve online

4. Fallen Earth

I was put off by Wurm online for a long time because of the graphics but they have much improved on the graphics. Wurm is pretty much 100% crafting. Look it up.

I've played it before, but i never did craft, all i did was help a community forum village out and gather resources like stone and stuff from the local mine and chop wood that is not an apple tree (which is hard as hell to find).

If you have the time, and I mean a lot of it, than WURM Online is your best bet. Amazing game, I just no longer have time for it.

Joined - July 2004

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

I actually can think of three different games in which I enjoyed the crafting.  Keep in mind though that I'm not really a "crafter" in games but I usually will dabble in it in some ways.

EQ2:  I like the fact that you actually have to pay attention during the process and that your character can actually get hurt when you screw up at certain points.  Makes the crafting seem more interactive.

SWG:  I really liked the interdependence between the different crafting professions back when SWG was in full swing.  I also liked how you could pick a favorite crafter allowing you to be "brand loyal" so to speak because you knew they made top quality items that were often better than their competition.

Fallen Earth:  I just liked the real time element and how you didn't have to specialize if you wanted to make a vehicle or armor.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

While SWG had a complex and involved crafting system, the best by far was Horizon / Istaria.

Not only could you make gear usable from L1, but the crafting also could change the face of the world.

- Advanced Skills and Spells were from crafted scrolls

- Housing was crafted, but had NO standard floor plans. You placed the walls, hedges, doors, storage silos, vendors, craft tools, whatever, anywhere you like within the confines of the plot of ground you bought. From a small city lot size, to hilltop full castle, to underground dragon's lair.

- Players needed to connect bridges to link to islands with more housing plots, dig tunnels down to special resources. All through crafting. While 1 person could do the work it would take years, these were more World Projects involving all players.

- Two world projects I was there for unlocked 2 new player character races. Satyr's from tunneling down to a Super Boss who was mind controlling the Satyr's, once he was defeated they joined the available races. Dryad's were also unlocked similarly. 

It was the Combat and Death systems and incomplete world that drove me away, NOT the crafting.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by darkedone02
    I'm the guy who loves to craft things and usually focus on crafting alot of things to decorate my home like in Minecraft, Terraria, Starbound, and other games and usually like to join into a certain community to help people out on gather certain resources to help them speed up the process, like i did on Wurm Online, trying to join into a decent, growing, ever expanding community.After playing a few mmo's, i've noticed some games out there sticks out, while the others have something quite simple and generic that really didn't bring in much good positive attention. So community, what's your fav crafting mmo's and why?
    I have yet to find an MMORPG that has a system I like.

Like you, I enjoy crafting, creating things in games. The latest fad to have crafting, but have some NPC do it for the player really sucks and negates the reason for including crafting in the first place.

I've heard of many interesting systems that grab my attention, but then they add in Open World PvP. I dislike OPW:PvP more than I like deep crafting systems, so I pass those games by. Apparently, great crafting systems = OW:PvP only. I guess that makes crafting exciting (and palatable) for players that do not enjoy the activity of crafting as much as I do for the (boring) crafting itself.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428
    EVE probably has the best. your still actually sales. FFXIV actually has fun crafting for a change.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    I have come up with a great crafting system -- one that addresses many of the problems that crafting has today in games.  Unfortunately I have not seen anything like it in any game.  I think the key to why crafting is weak in games these days is the definition that group and raid things should give better reward than solo, and crafting is a solo activity.  Crafting should be doable in groups.  Have a system with complications, etc and have say a weaponsmith to form the blade, jewelers setting gems, a player on the bellows controlling the hear, enchanters pouring magic into the blade, and soulrenders pushing the energy out of the orbs left by powerful mobs into the blade all at the same time.  You would also have an overseer who could address complications on any station and/or make shifts to the overall flow of how things are going.  Hence an epic weapon might have 3 enchanters, 3 soulrenders, a weaponsmith, an overseer, a jeweler, and someone on the bellows.  Ten people acting in unison to make a weapon.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Crafting has never been of great interest to me.  I'm usually more into the survival aspect of things.  I always preferred being a skinner, woodworker, or blacksmith to anything else.  Skinning is great as it goes well with hunting.  I especially enjoyed crafting in Ultima Online.  As much as I loved Everquest I found crafting in that game was to difficult for me.  There were to many recipes and ingredients to find.  That's not to say I don't think it should be there for others who enjoy that kind of experience.  It's just not for me.  On the flip side I thought WoWs crafting system was a little bit to simple.  If I could do it with ease then it must be to simple lol.
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Vanguard and FF XIV because they were both very interactive and evolving minigames in the creation process of an item
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    SWG very pre-CU/NGE followed by EVE Online had/have the best crafting systems. Every MMO I have played since just is way too simple.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    SWG. Anyone who says otherwise has never played it.
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

SWG. Because resource qualities, tools, character skill, luck, planning, and (often) other players mattered in the production of goods.

The entire "chain" was realized, from resource gathering all the way to mass production to the retail vendors. No other MMO has come close.

• bibensdbibensd Member UncommonPosts: 58

"While SWG had a complex and involved crafting system, the best by far was Horizon / Istaria.

Not only could you make gear usable from L1, but the crafting also could change the face of the world.

- Advanced Skills and Spells were from crafted scrolls

- Housing was crafted, but had NO standard floor plans. You placed the walls, hedges, doors, storage silos, vendors, craft tools, whatever, anywhere you like within the confines of the plot of ground you bought. From a small city lot size, to hilltop full castle, to underground dragon's lair.

- Players needed to connect bridges to link to islands with more housing plots, dig tunnels down to special resources. All through crafting. While 1 person could do the work it would take years, these were more World Projects involving all players.

- Two world projects I was there for unlocked 2 new player character races. Satyr's from tunneling down to a Super Boss who was mind controlling the Satyr's, once he was defeated they joined the available races. Dryad's were also unlocked similarly. 

It was the Combat and Death systems and incomplete world that drove me away, NOT the crafting."

pretty much this, horizons was the most fun i ever had in crafting but the combat was terrible, actually recently re-dled the game again but it didn't seem to have changed that much and population seemed dead.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

Wurm online...but I have never played SWG

sorry I could not resist

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

EvE

For many reason, but mainly because without crafting the game wouldn't exist,  and that is not the case with many MMOs

I play eve and as such my whole in game time is spent crafting but not simple buys mats - make item, but invention (chance based) to get the blueprint > make materials required to use blueprint > make blueprint.

Nothing in eve would work without crafting apart form fighting in n00b ships :)

Whilst it is agreed that its a pvp game, i would prefer to think of it as a crafting game :)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Quazal.A

EvE

For many reason, but mainly because without crafting the game wouldn't exist,  and that is not the case with many MMOs

I play eve and as such my whole in game time is spent crafting but not simple buys mats - make item, but invention (chance based) to get the blueprint > make materials required to use blueprint > make blueprint.

Whilst it is agreed that its a pvp game, i would prefer to think of it as a crafting game :)

I really like the Eve industry model however I noticed that as it stands now to make more money (for time invested) than just mining you have to be pretty high up industry.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

I played both SWG and EvE and EvE's crafting is better.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by hyllstarter
    Well it was Star wars Galaxies.

Hands down THE best crafting system ever created for an MMO 

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by Quazal.A

EvE

I really like the Eve industry model however I noticed that as it stands now to make more money (for time invested) than just mining you have to be pretty high up industry.

Mining arguable is the lowest isk/h ratio in game, but in terms of profit manufacture doesn't win lol :) I could arguable make as much per slot per hour making t1 mods as i do making t2, but then it would require a lot more items moved on market to build as much. 

the thing with eve over most of games is that being a giant excel sheet you need to understand lots of underlying reasons, its not always the case to build that item that will make you (example numbers here) 10mill per slot per hour, but only sell 1 every full moon on a sunday. but building items that make 500k-1mill per slot per hour but sell 1000s per day and will sell everything and more you build.

Unlike most games (ones ive played ofc) EvE crafting isn't an immediate thing, smaller things might only take 2mins per item, but most can take from 1hour per item upto 28days to build a single thing.

So you cannot just consider what makes profit per unit, but what that unit profit is per hour of your time. 

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy