Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hopefully not to much to ask for...

Very little has been said about the game thus far.

There will never be a perfect mmorpg due to the vast differences in what the typical gamer find appealing about a game.People are always going to crave that first mmo experience. I grew up with Ultima Online and then moved to Everquest so I guess I will always be searching for the magic I once felt when I first started playing those games.

If they can put some aspects of EQ LM With a destructible  EQ environment together , mixed with descent crafting/pve, EQ Next may be a winner .

Simply put, These are my reasonable wants for the game

-A Ultima Online style crafting system improved.

-Everquest Next style resource collecting/housing ( with very Limited housing spots)

-Everquest style raiding/dungeons

-Months NOT weeks to lvl cap

-Destructible environment

-Shared world/dungeons (so rare items will be... RARE? Don't care if instanced or not) long as there is not multiples of same instance on same server)

-Rare mobs/items

-no auction houses

I am open for any type of pvp (open,closed, what ever)

15 years of mmorpgs and this is what I have come to desire....

The more sandbox the better but I do realize that this is not a sandbox game which I can deal with. If 50% of this make it in game I will be happy.

Really I just want a frigging upgraded Ultima Online but that will never happen. Yes I know SOTA is in the makes, I am just not sold on  it yet.

I know nobody cares but I am bored =)

This game seems to have the most promise  in a long list of sub par looking games under development .

Comments

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    Actually for me my first MMO EQ1 was not the best MMO experience I've had. By the time I joined in 2001 Luclin was out and POK was on its way if I remember the year right. It was hard to level up past 65 then and even harder to work on anything that didn't require an uber guild.

SWG was my second MMO and it gave me a sense of what a good sandbox game is like. However that game had some shortcomings in terms of content (pre-NGE).

EQ2 is when I hit my MMO stride. It's a well designed game with lots of content to keep you busy. IMO it has the best quests.

My hunch EQN will at least be as sandboxy as SWG if not more. The X factor is going to be the emergent AI and procedurally generated content and how that plays out. By it's very nature it does have a degree of unpredictability. The MMO genre is going into uncharted waters with EQN which is why I'm excited and supportive. I hope to see it well executed.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by esardotz92983

-Everquest Next style resource collecting/housing ( with very Limited housing spots)

-Shared world/dungeons (so rare items will be... RARE? Don't care if instanced or not) long as there is not multiples of same instance on same server)

-Rare mobs/items

-no auction houses

Actually, a lot is out about EQNext, it's just that most of the information is found through videos and interviews at SOE Lives and it haven't been retold over and over again like most MMO marketing do. I also think that EQNext is going to be way more sandbox than lots of people seems to be believing.

- crafting was said to be similar to SWG (also all materials is useful because they gives different properties, Tier 1 vs tier 5 isn't a power range like in most MMOs).

- We already know that to get an house, you'll have to get "renown" and do things for a lord that will grant you a deed. Building said house should be similar to EQNext Landmark because you can import template from that game. Guild cities were also alluded to.

- Raiding isn't going to be what people are used to from previous game or even questing for that matter. There are no permanent static content, the majority of the content will move around because they are procedurally re-created ever x days and the AI does its things (i.e.  AI will make mobs respond to player's actions). Some "raid" might be the final to a Rallying Call, so a one time thing, as well. SOE was quite clear that they do not want the game content to be wikified and followed like a checklist by players (directionless mixed with emergent gameplay the total opposite of what MMOs players are used to).

- there are no levels, so no levels cap (won't take months to reach tier 5 of a single class). This point with the previous one means that lots and lots of people are going to claim there is nothing to do in the game.

- I really wonder if the voxels are going to be destructible enough for some people.

- Game is supposed to be 99.999% seamless, they said instances will be keep to a minimum and only used when needed (they talked about story finals being instanced, no idea what does are, might be the Rallying Calls final).

-  I'm not sure if rare mobs is something this game is going to have. In a way all the mobs are rare,  each one has an AI, purpose, wander around and do not respawn after death (i.e. once you killed Bob the Chieftain, he's not coming back, he might be replaced after a while by Tod the Chieftain, but it might not be the same class/stat at all). Even class trainers can die and you will have to find them (as in help a random NPC and discover he's a certain class you don't have).

- It's possible EQNext might have player owned vendor stall (which were confirmed for Landmark).

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

There will never be a perfect mmorpg due to the vast differences in what the typical gamer find appealing about a game.

-Rare mobs/items

-no auction houses

I am open for any type of pvp (open,closed, what ever)

15 years of mmorpgs and this is what I have come to desire....

The more sandbox the better but I do realize that this is not a sandbox game which I can deal with. If 50% of this make it in game I will be happy.

Really I just want a frigging upgraded Ultima Online but that will never happen. Yes I know SOTA is in the makes, I am just not sold on  it yet.

I know nobody cares but I am bored =)

This game seems to have the most promise  in a long list of sub par looking games under development .

Never played UO but if it's anything like I imagine then no I do not want it.  I find loot drops the preferred carrot on a stick approach to my gaming.  I don't particularly enjoy crafting but when I do I want it to enhance and augment the loot system in much the same way that Asheron's Call and Path of Exile does.

I hated EQ1 and 2 but I would prefer a housing system like in Asheron's Call.  Open World housing with predesignated plots to build upon. 

Agreed with long leveling times, I want to see years but I'd settle for months. (more then 2-3) At least 5-6 months to cap.

I want auction houses but with a caveat that there being no Buyout's and sellers are unable to change the starting price.  Everything starts off at vendor price and the next bid can not exceed 10% of the last bid.  I hate gaming the economy and the whole buy low sale high that AH's bring but I also must have the option, ease and user friendly that an AH brings.

I don't want any PvP what so ever, not even dueling.  I want a recreation of my early days of playing Dungeons & Dragons.  PvE and small scale PvE is the reason I play these games.

Basically I want an Asheron's Call with some vestiges of an ARPG such as Diablo 2 or Path of Exile but in 3rd person and with Neverwinter style fast paced combat.  Give me that and I'll have an MMO for the rest of my life.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• NubaaNubaa Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by donpopuki
    Actually for me my first MMO EQ1 was not the best MMO experience I've had. By the time I joined in 2001 Luclin was out and POK was on its way if I remember the year right. It was hard to level up past 65 then and even harder to work on anything that didn't require an uber guild.

It's funny how different people are. I joined right around the same time, but for me, it's been the best experience I've had in an mmo so far. Some of the best moments with guildies in WoW comes close, but it's still not quite the same.

As to the thread topic, I'm hoping for something new and fresh. As much as I love EQ/WoW/etc I don't want to play those games anymore. The EQnext devs seemed to have legitimately innovated on the genre, but without playing it's hard to know if what they've done is brilliant or moronic at this point.

• nisraknisrak Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by azarhal

- Raiding isn't going to be what people are used to from previous game or even questing for that matter. There are no permanent static content, the majority of the content will move around because they are procedurally re-created ever x days and the AI does its things (i.e.  AI will make mobs respond to player's actions). Some "raid" might be the final to a Rallying Call, so a one time thing, as well. SOE was quite clear that they do not want the game content to be wikified and followed like a checklist by players (directionless mixed with emergent gameplay the total opposite of what MMOs players are used to).

This is the biggest wildcard to me.  I really have no idea how they are going to do this.  I suspect they will have to have some custom-made content to make this viable at all.  If they don't, they will have to just have very strong monsters (or groups of monsters) just wandering according to their AI.  While dragon's destroying cities would be cool, it might be annoying if they are constantly attacking.

- there are no levels, so no levels cap (won't take months to reach tier 5 of a single class). This point with the previous one means that lots and lots of people are going to claim there is nothing to do in the game.

I think this is going to be the hardest pill for people to swallow.  As you progress, you can do more, but not hit harder.  Also, with the ability of SOE to just add more classes on the fly, there really is no end to this type of progression.

-  I'm not sure if rare mobs is something this game is going to have. In a way all the mobs are rare,  each one has an AI, purpose, wander around and do not respawn after death (i.e. once you killed Bob the Chieftain, he's not coming back, he might be replaced after a while by Tod the Chieftain, but it might not be the same class/stat at all). Even class trainers can die and you will have to find them (as in help a random NPC and discover he's a certain class you don't have).

Right, so every mob is unique and has its own set of stats, abilities, and drops.  This is what makes it exciting to me, because there will be practically unlimited unique items.  No wiki or known loot tables means the exciting and new feeling that many of us experienced from our first MMOs (EQ1 for me).  Add to this their statement that items will have abilities or ability-modifiers rather than stats! 

What this type of system means is that raiding is much more exciting and unpredictable.  You never really know exactly what you are fighting and what they will drop, even in a large raid encounter!  It has the potential to bring back some of the gameplay from the golden age of MMOs (1999-2004 IMO).

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Im kinda hoping there wont be a detailed ingame map personaly :) i wanna feel the sense of being lost once again cause only then we can have true exploration :) A vague world map wont be to bad since i know some people will want atleast some kinda map i rather not having any at all though.
    The problem I see with getting too specific with what we want in EQN is some things like camps might not work as we know them when using a procedurally generated emergent AI system. We just don't have a proper frame of reference.
    Originally posted by nisrak

Right, so every mob is unique and has its own set of stats, abilities, and drops.  This is what makes it exciting to me, because there will be practically unlimited unique items.  No wiki or known loot tables means the exciting and new feeling that many of us experienced from our first MMOs (EQ1 for me).  Add to this their statement that items will have abilities or ability-modifiers rather than stats! 

What this type of system means is that raiding is much more exciting and unpredictable.  You never really know exactly what you are fighting and what they will drop, even in a large raid encounter!  It has the potential to bring back some of the gameplay from the golden age of MMOs (1999-2004 IMO).

Loot tables will probably be relatively easy to deduce when it comes to what type of things something drop, that's because the Dev said that a snake will drop stuff like snake skin and an orc will drop orcish stuff. Still live plenty of rooms for randomness with enchantment, valuables, etc.

Originally posted by sanshi44
    Im kinda hoping there wont be a detailed ingame map personaly :) i wanna feel the sense of being lost once again cause only then we can have true exploration :) A vague world map wont be to bad since i know some people will want atleast some kinda map i rather not having any at all though.

I'm not sure how they can do a detailed map of something procedurally (re)created. At the same time, you need something to help you navigate in the world (signposts, road names, etc).

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Originally posted by nisrak

Loot tables will probably be relatively easy to deduce when it comes to what type of things something drop, that's because the Dev said that a snake will drop stuff like snake skin and an orc will drop orcish stuff. Still live plenty of rooms for randomness with enchantment, valuables, etc.

Originally posted by sanshi44

I'm not sure how they can do a detailed map of something procedurally (re)created. At the same time, you need something to help you navigate in the world (signposts, road names, etc).

Um there is  a great item that has been used for centuries by explorers that followed thier predesosors had access to a key tool to help with there adventure.  This tool is called a ... MAP!.  Why the hatred for the map?  I can see not putting automatic quest locations on the map but you most certainly should have access to one.  Maybe they should make the maps thier own mini game or something you have to earn piecemeal.  Also, when a conversation moves to the point of "Let me mark the location on your map"  There should be an anamation that actually shows you taking the map out, un rolling it, spreading it on the table or holding it the hands, then actually mork the maps in the spot you are marking the map.

Originally posted by Kyllien

Um there is  a great item that has been used for centuries by explorers that followed thier predesosors had access to a key tool to help with there adventure.  This tool is called a ... MAP!.  Why the hatred for the map?  I can see not putting automatic quest locations on the map but you most certainly should have access to one.  Maybe they should make the maps thier own mini game or something you have to earn piecemeal.  Also, when a conversation moves to the point of "Let me mark the location on your map"  There should be an anamation that actually shows you taking the map out, un rolling it, spreading it on the table or holding it the hands, then actually mork the maps in the spot you are marking the map.

I personally don't hate map and EQ players believe we can live without them though. I'm just wondering how they are going to have a detailed one with procedurally generated content. We are probably going to get something "procedurally generated" that is revealed as you travel (and change because things will change).

I personally don't hate map and EQ players believe we can live without them though. I'm just wondering how they are going to have a detailed one with procedurally generated content. We are probably going to get something "procedurally generated" that is revealed as you travel (and change because things will change).

Here is a skill that has actually been missing from many games: Cartography.  Why not let the players develop thier cartography skill and make maps that they can then trade and sell.

• esardotz92983esardotz92983 Member Posts: 13

I would not bet on shit just randomly popping up all over the place like they say will happen. I mean it is not really an original idea they have there . Why has nobody else really done this when it is such a good idea.

When they talk about stuff randomly generating I am sure it is going to be a fair amount of time 1-2 weeks if not much longer which is still a step in the right direction.

To the OP.

If no auction house, how then do you propose players sell thier own crafted wares to each other?

• swedagoswedago Member UncommonPosts: 78

I already know they have their foundation for what is what, however what would appeal to me is the follow:

- Everquest 1 leveling (Kunark era - Make it hard!)

- Shinies (as in Everquest 2)

- Warhammer Online Battlegrounds and Sieges.

- Rift Public Quests

- Aion Crafting system

- SWTOR cut-scenes (storylines)

- Strict Factions (quests for faction and/or killing opposing faction)

- Access for all zones (Everquest 2 Boat Trips back in 2004)

- Race / Class Restrictions (Not all races can be all classes)

- Keep the Marketplace Fluff (no pay to win please)

- Heroic Dungeon Progression with requirements (Have to beat lower tier dungeons + have minimum required gear to zone in).

- Raid Progression (Unlocks by completing prior dungeons)

I have been a loyal SoE paying customer since March 1999 (EQ1), and 2004-present in EQ 2.  I made the new class (Channeler) and was 95/340 in 1 day...  That is not a challange.  Easy games die faster.  What to do when you are max the 1st week?  I find that boring.

I hope EQN will not be a disappointment....  If I am max in less than 2 weeks I may just go back to Single Player Games.

Here is a skill that has actually been missing from many games: Cartography.  Why not let the players develop thier cartography skill and make maps that they can then trade and sell.

That I would like.

I would not bet on shit just randomly popping up all over the place like they say will happen. I mean it is not really an original idea they have there . Why has nobody else really done this when it is such a good idea.

When they talk about stuff randomly generating I am sure it is going to be a fair amount of time 1-2 weeks if not much longer which is still a step in the right direction.

You never played a Space Sims with procedurally generated missions or Daggerfall (and Arena) or Cube World for a recent unfinished game example. What SOE said they were going have been done before a long time ago (pre-1999 gaming era) and it didn't use AI like EQNext will. It's coming back thanks to Minecraft.

The Space Sims of old had procedurally generated quests based on a few conditions and types (limited by the gameplay allowed by the games). You mostly got these off mission board, but some games had distress calls or random encounters too. Star Citizen is going to take this another step with the way their economy is going to work and how players will affect it by the way.

Daggerfall is probably closer to what EQNext is doing, minus the AI. Everything that wasn't associated to the main storyline was procedurally generated less or more (Factions had their own quest type, i.e. the Thieve guild had random thieving quests). Daggerfall content never ends and you will never see the same quest or dungeon twice unless it's part of the main storyline and replay the game. In Daggerfall, many people might have a quest for you. There is like 30 quest type (delivery, escort, steal, kill, etc). Even the dungeons where procedurally generated. Skyrim sort of tried to recreate a bit of this with the Radiant quest system, but it's more limited than Daggerfall was (I'm talking about the guild random quests here and how the same quest might send you in a different cave in two different replay).

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I also share the RARITY in items,FFXI was imo the best at it,have seen nothing come even close,all games are too easy to repeat,you can usually get all u need in 1-2 days or just buy it.

What SOE allowed in EQ2 for example was a big turn off.The players would sit on the dungeon loot and just spam chat for someone to come and buy it even though it was not meant to be sold.SOE knew of this and still did not care to stop it,shows how little they care for the integrity of their games,they are only worried about money and how to get you to spend it.

Bottom line is SOE will do some things that people enjoy but they always manage to really turn players the wrong way somewhere in a game be it money or broken content or broken rule sets or allowing obvious botting ect ect.

The one area i always give SOE credit for is support,they are pretty quick and have people who speak English so i can understand them.Those GM's also seem to genuinely care so i like their support staff.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by DMKano

OP - expect an ultra-casual game that has zero overlap with any hardcore aspects of EQ1.

Imagine a game that is 10x more casual than GW2, now run it on a ps4 (8 button limit) - that should be about right.

By "hardcore" you mean timesink? I can't think of anything that made EQ1 "hardcore."

Then again someone wearing all black and listening to death metal probably thinks they are "hardcore" to...I love buzz words.

Well EQ1 had 8 buttons so that makes it hardcore lol!

We just don't know how EQN will be in terms of "hardcoreness".
  • esardotz92983esardotz92983 Member Posts: 13
    Just like we did in original eq/uo. Everyone will find a place to go /shout (selling (blank) ). Encourages player interaction