Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there still 10 million players playing the game?

Was wondering if its worth coming to world of Warcraft after first playing after

star wars galaxies crashed big time when all mmos then had around 250,000

people playing. I was wondering if like in the original days of this wow mmo that

10 million people were playing the game, as when I played then there was no

one hardly in the start areas and I missed out lots of quests because they were

group quests but no one was around. all 10 million must have been at level 50

by that time I guess as I stopped playing because of it.

I was wondering why every mmo changed its strategy to quest grinds and included

almost zero adventure and seek and find gameplay,y and got rid of the wait for 4-8 hours

for a boss pop only to find as it popped after a long wait some other noob comes along right at

that time and took the boss out before you.. Those were the days of mmo I thought.

Did all the mmos change after world of Warcraft lied about its player base within its game at the time

so they could all cash in on the model without actually logging into the game to see how many were in

the starting areas. Id have thought about 100-1000 people on each server would at least have been hanging around

the start areas because of the 10 million player base?

LOL

Comments

• KooshdinKooshdin Member Posts: 217

bumped because of addition of text :D

Hope this is ok for you thank yooooooooo :D

Why did they get away with this lie, which changed the whole mmo industry completely.

Was it SOE's fault for its mmo errors or was it wows with its lying about player base inside the game.

10 million people playing together sounds much more fun than only 250000 people right ???

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

There was a post not long ago that stated they where now down to 7 or 8 mil. players. 

Regarding the lfg or lfr  thing it still the same. Tank and Healers still as priority.

In pvp almost everyone have BOA's ( dont do them at low level they even now how to Q for regular bg's with there BOA's so you are 100% sure to loose every match even a duel ).

Raid is the same thing people Q only for the part there at usually means you skip first 2 to 3 boss.

It is still good to play depending on witch server you go on but the economy is not doing good. People think a green item level 14 is worth 300g. rofl

So basically you are stuck grinding or solo stuff more and gear yourself alone by questing. Try the Trial to see what i mean by it. Go on very populated servers like Darkspear, Blackrock, Illidan if pvp is what you want they are locked at night just to show you how populated they are with 300 to 400 peeps waiting to get in they do lots of duel in small towns or in front of ogrimmar.

But like i said those servers requires you to have a main there already with gold and profession maxed otherwise you need to start from scratch and forget the AH to gear yourself. Even the glyph ( mains one for each class) are worth 300g min on those said server.

I still from time to time put some money in it to get my wow fix :) And i still get some fun out of it but it is not what it use to be.

Edit : i know what you mean by why they did this change. I use to think in vanilla wow they had the right mentality pvp server for pvp people only and rp or normal server for the others. they could have balance each class way more by doing that. and not affect the other type of servers . eg: tweak a class for pvp only and on the other servers tweak them for pve only.

Regarding LFR they could have made it so you teleport to the start of a map instead of the dungeon itself on pvp servers to still give the World pvp feel of it and leave the guards as they where instead of making them show up in multiple quantities with almost no way of killing them except if fully geared in arena gear.

But hey this is blizzard :)

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Probably not................. but just wait til the new expansion launch.

I deserted MOP, but I might be tempted to buy the new one.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

They've been merging servers (I mean connecting realms), so it does seem like there are more people playing. 

You may be pleasantly surprised.

• KooshdinKooshdin Member Posts: 217

Nah I aint going back to WOW, I did actually like it in the beginning but what I did not like

was the lies on there adverts there was 10 million people in the game. There was more like

10 million people who had made an account, trial or paid. There was no where near 10 million

people inside the game and they got away with telling lies in their adverts causing a total shift

in direction for all mmos. All mmo companies followed there business model to get 10 mill

players too.

They lied, change the mmo world to 5 zone games were you level 1-10 in one zone, 11-20 in the next

etc. That's what all mmos are as companies are trying to get 10 million players inside their game like

world of Warcraft had, when they didn't have that many playing at all.

They used to sue companies for posting adverts especially on tv to public saying their is 10

million players in their game so people get this idea these games are jam packed with

players when it wasn't like that at all.

Their lies changed the mmo games into I want 10 million players in my game.

They need to come out with a name for mmos today which are still wow clones in nature.

How bout changing the name of mmorpg.com to notreallymmorpgsbecauseofwow.com

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

they had 12 million before. If i remember correctly after Cataclysm they bled a huge amount of players every year almost half of the playerbase. The latest info (like someone said already) is that the playerbase is sitting around 7-8 million players. They didnt lie about the numbers, its just that people come and go and the numbers go up and down. They arent going to announce numbers every month....

EDIT: OP, i thought you wanted to know if it was worth it to go back to wow based on population. It seems you just want to bash it. Why do people keep blaming WoW for all the clones out there? blame the people making clones because they are not capable of making something different and as high quality. Also blame the people who support the clones which are the ones giving green light to the devs to keep making them.

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    There is no way that many players these days. Data on mmo champion is only polling 2 million players or so. They used to poll 6 million or so. If I were to estimate I'd say there is probably around 4-5million active players. Dropping fairly steadily.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Kooshdin I think it's unlikely that they lied. They have posted a clear definition of how they count their players along with several press releases. All paid accounts with game time left, and game-room players who have used the game during last 30 days, are counted as players.

Also, are you aware that there are probably about 800 WoW servers across all regions and languages. They get their huge numbers by having a huge number of servers, not fitting a huge number of people on a single server. If you want a single server with huge number of people, try EVE.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    There's a lot i don't care for in WOW, but Blizzard has always been fairly honest and very clear how they count subs.

While i do think they gamed the way they counted subs in Asia i think at one point they had over 400 servers in the West which is about 8 times larger than any other modern mmo, mobas not withstanding,

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151

3-4m US/EU, the rest are in Asia.

It's been like this for awhile.

They've lost 50-70% of their NA/EU player base.

All but the really extreme high pop realms are effectively worthless.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    So let me Axe you this? You need 10 million players to come back? If so, then save yourself the time. I don't think there are 10 million players.

I will tell you this, ever since the cross realm thing they did, I constantly see other players around all the time. Every starting zone I have done, which used to be barren, are now ripe with players.

I've been playing wow again for a few months now and having a pretty damn good time.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Kooshdin

Was wondering if its worth coming to world of Warcraft after first playing after

star wars galaxies crashed big time when all mmos then had around 250,000

people playing. I was wondering if like in the original days of this wow mmo that

10 million people were playing the game, as when I played then there was no

one hardly in the start areas and I missed out lots of quests because they were

group quests but no one was around. all 10 million must have been at level 50

by that time I guess as I stopped playing because of it.

I was wondering why every mmo changed its strategy to quest grinds and included

almost zero adventure and seek and find gameplay,y and got rid of the wait for 4-8 hours

for a boss pop only to find as it popped after a long wait some other noob comes along right at

that time and took the boss out before you.. Those were the days of mmo I thought.

Did all the mmos change after world of Warcraft lied about its player base within its game at the time

so they could all cash in on the model without actually logging into the game to see how many were in

the starting areas. Id have thought about 100-1000 people on each server would at least have been hanging around

the start areas because of the 10 million player base?

LOL

sorry, but since you seem to be making up most of those statements, here some facts:

having 10 million players does NOT mean they will all wait in the starting areas of the game for you, who obviously started playing like ages after relase.

also, you are naming WoW specific problems here as "those were the days of mmo I thought."... sorry, but before WoW that behaviour was totaly not tollerated and could actually end in a temp ban on certain games.

so, what exactly is the point of your thread here? another "hey look i am cool i hate wow too! LOVE ME NOW!" post?

sorry, but those weren't interesting even when they were new - and by now they aren't new anymore.

try playing those games on a major patch-, content or even addon-release and you will see what 10 million players mean kiddo. now off to your basket and NO PUDDING FOR YOU!

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by Keylogger_007

Even at 3-4 million it's still 2-3 million more then any other mmo in NA/EU

exactly the US servers have been stabilizing for awhile.

wrong most of the population they are losing is from Asia mainly China

wrong again I play on a standand realm and the last two weeks have leveled my monk.  The entire time I was always running into others who were leveling instead of fighting over mobs I would group with these other players.  The entire time I was leveling ques were always under 5 mins.  In Stormwind flex raids normal raids always being recruited for.  The raid finder Website is very active and been part of many many raids using this.  

Seems like your a tad off on you WoW information.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by rojo6934

OP, i thought you wanted to know if it was worth it to go back to wow based on population.

It seems you just want to bash it.

Op has no interest in returning to WOW,  this is only flamebait

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Keylogger_007

And with this statement you prove you have absolutely no idea with how WoW functions on a most basic level today.

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by Havekk
    So let me Axe you this? You need 10 million players to come back? If so, then save yourself the time. I don't think there are 10 million players. I will tell you this, ever since the cross realm thing they did, I constantly see other players around all the time. Every starting zone I have done, which used to be barren, are now ripe with players. I've been playing wow again for a few months now and having a pretty damn good time.

Same here, I'm back after 2,5 years and having a lot of fun. Lots of players around too and my realm is not even one of the connected realms. But the OP only came to bash WOW and look cool doing so I guess....

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

This doesn't really seem to be a discussion, as in the OP kind of derailed his own thread to bash the game and devs.

If someone wants to have an actual conversation about population and even impact of WoW on the genre, feel free to make a clean new thread.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.