Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ok SWG Vets................... let your money speak!

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

What worry's me the most is the F2P aspect with a sandbox game. Everything else seems slighty to good to be true.

I have nothing against most of the current F2P games because most of them are Themeparks, enjoyable at what they deliver but not what I want out of my MMORPG experiance. And The Repopulations come's very close to the things I like in a MMORPG atleats on paper. Havn't really seen the hugh list of feature's actually working ingame apart from exploring, running around and some building. Though what I have seen really looks good atleast. The walk/run animations could use some work. And yes I know it's still early but the game sure has some very high end feature's to code in.

I just wished they where confident enough to make their game a sub-based game.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by iridescence
    Originally posted by ste2000

Most people don't have unlimited money to "support serious indie devs"  I've given too much to various Kickstarters already and all I have to really show for it so far  is one fairly mediocre game. Kickstarter is a good idea but the market is saturated right now. A lot of people want to see some of these games come out before they throw money at more plus how many MMOs can one guy seriously play? Even if I had more money, donating to 10 different MMOs is kind of dumb.

Seriously, if you are affiliated with these devs you need to stop begging and using guilt tactics. It will turn people off who are on the fence about backing TRP.

I am not begging............just raising awareness, since those guys do not have the PR machine of EA or SoE.

If you look at my post history, I posted maybe 3 times prior to this thread.................. and I have 4500 posts

Hardly an hardcore fan, let alone an affiliate........

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

As long as you keep asking for money and have gul...I mean loyal fans willing to give it to you, your project can never technically " fail" to deliver. It could go on for many years while people pour money into nothing though.

• UnkillableUnkillable Member UncommonPosts: 123

mark my words here and now "The Repop WILL have shitty slow and dated combat/ combat systems"

my prediction = combat in general will be lame.

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    Originally posted by DamonVile

As long as you keep asking for money and have gul...I mean loyal fans willing to give it to you, your project can never technically " fail" to deliver. It could go on for many years while people pour money into nothing though.

There are some items in cash shops that are 50, 100, 1000+ dollars.

People actually buy these non existent items. people actually play games that sell this crap. They actually buy it from the people who design the game to make these items valuable.

Id rather be a sucker than a sap.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

I`ll play (and pay) when I believe I can choose for myself if I want to PvP or not.

Noone is ever gonna grief me.

If I wish to pvp, that`s fine.

If I don`t, then piss off and let me pick flowers in peace. No ganking, please.  I`ll fight you on equal terms, not while i am in dialogue with an NPC.

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

Originally posted by Jacxolope
    Tired of Kickstarter...Tired of "sandbox" games that will have it all but but are not yet released or funded... This ones new though. "SWG Vets put your money where your mouth is". This isnt SWG. This isnt even out yet. This isnt even funded yet."show how much you really cared about SWG by supporting The Repopulation. "Wait, what? I can show how much I cared about SWG by throwing my money at an empty promise? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha-IDK, might turn out to be a lovely game but this is the spammiest , spam I have ever seen and I have have heard these promises before on a million "sandboxs" that will give me the SWG "feeling"- Didnt MO even try that once with some spammers? 

Pretty much that. Release a game and I will sub and support if its good.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    When it's out, I'll have a look at it.  Before that point, all the "planned this and that" bulletins, screenshots and trailers are just pretty pixels on a screen.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by darker70

Go back and find the old MO trailors.

-People are still waiting for that game.

The concept and the trailors are a good step but its the execution that fails time and again.

Concept sounds solid. Game sounds good- But the execution is what is going to matter and that is up in the air until launch.

Of course trailers can be deceiving.

But I want to remind you that MO has never been founded by Kickstarter............ that was its problem.

It has been founded by a rich kid that put his dad money in making the game.

MO budget was probably around 500k before they started selling Beta spots, and I am sure that even after their budget didn't hit the $1 Million mark..................and with $1 Million you cannot make a Facebook game nowadays, let alone an MMO.

So I am not surprised the game turned out to be shite.

That's why it is important that players support serious Indie devs giving them the chance to develop the game with a good size Team (not just 3 people), so we don't have to go through the whole MO drama all over again.

Why do people feel that Kickstarter means the game is held to a higher standard then one which is / was privately funded? Spoiler alert: IT'S NOT.

Just because the game was crowd funded doesn't mean it's somehow less of a scam, or that the people making it are going to magically become more competent, or more honest.

News flash: Once the company has your money, they can do whatever they want with it. They aren't held to anything legally. They could launch a game client which loads up a picture & sound file of Ash from Evil Dead 2 laughing, with a text scroll of "SCREW YOU SUCKAS, GOIN' TO TAHITI!!!" over and over again, and there's isn't a goddamn thing you could do about it but weep.

They could decide to cut out PvP entirely, and there's nothing you can do about it.

They could decide to rework it into a MOBA, and there's nothing you can do about it.

They could turn it into a Hello Kitty licensed puzzle-platforming game, and there's nothing you can do about it.

I don't really care about this game, or any other would-be sandbox MMO out there. I am however sick and tired of people misrepresenting kickstarter as some sort of magical service that somehow holds the people who use it accountable to the people who provided funding. It doesn't.

At the end of the day, all Kickstarter is, is a glorified form of preordering.

Good luck, hope it all works out, but please stop trying to paint KS & crowd funding in general as some kind of 'magical pill which makes everything WONDERFUL!'

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Why do people feel that Kickstarter means the game is held to a higher standard then one which is / was privately funded? Spoiler alert: IT'S NOT.

Just because the game was crowd funded doesn't mean it's somehow less of a scam, or that the people making it are going to magically become more competent, or more honest.

News flash: Once the company has your money, they can do whatever they want with it. They aren't held to anything legally. They could launch a game client which loads up a picture & sound file of Ash from Evil Dead 2 laughing, with a text scroll of "SCREW YOU SUCKAS, GOIN' TO TAHITI!!!" over and over again, and there's isn't a goddamn thing you could do about it but weep.

They could. But saying a big F-you to your most loyal  customers isn't very smart especially if they're your only source of money and you don't have a publisher to back you up. You don't think word of mouth counts for anything with a small game? If small sandbox game kickstarter  suddenly made a WoW clone or MOBA not only would they not have the budget to compete wth the far more polished offerings in those genres but they'd have a whole legion of people determined to get people to avoid the game and many others who wouldn't even touch the game just on principle.

Kickstarter isn't just about raising money. A lot of it is also marketing and PR for your future game. Something which is very important for a small low-profile dev. who can't buy the kind of publicity KS gives and probably couldn't live down the negative publicity from the kind of schemes you suggest.

Of course "buyer beware" always applies but to AAA devs as well. SWTOR is one of the most dodgy games from a marketing standpoint I've ever seen and that was as AAA as it gets.

Originally posted by FinalFikus

People actually buy these non existent items. people actually play games that sell this crap. They actually buy it from the people who design the game to make these items valuable.

Why don't they exist ? They can see then, use them, and they have an effect on their game...how can something that does all that not exist ?

How is that anything like giving someone money, that never actually does what they say they'll do with it ? One is being lied to, the other is just someone that puts a different value on money than you do.

Pretty terrible example.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Iselin

The next time I see an OP in this forum as positive and enthusiastic as yours is about a game that isn't an indie KS, I'll stop being sarcastic about how mmorpg.com chic it is to cheer exclusively for the unknown little guys... deal?

BTW... I obviously follow the Repop as well.... I think that was in there somewhere amid my sarcasm.

Well probably you missed the thousands of positive and  over-enthusiastic threads about SWTOR, GW2 and TSW prior release (Can't say the same people didn't change their mind after release though).

What about the positive ones about Wildstar and EQNext?

In fact the only AAA MMO who is having a hard time to gather some support is ESO.

So I don't understand what you are blubbing about........

In fact AAA Themeparks already have tons of positive press and crazy Fanboys to support them, so if sometimes few threads in support of Indie games pops up, it shouldn't disturb you too much.

So it must be really easy then for you to find one here in The Pub to link... I'll wait.

BTW...blubbing is not a word... I think you meant "blubbering." 

And yes, we all know very well how you take every opportunity to tell us how ESO is nothing like the ES  series in contrast to the opinion of practically every single person who has actually played it in beta or at a show ... presumably because you consider that particular single player themepark, where you get to choose the order in which you take the rides, a sandbox.

I see trendy people trending...

ES games are world sims with the game inside.

ES was never considered a themepark any more than GTA was or star wars for that matter.

That has nothing to do with trends.

ES games are no more "world sims" than most MMOs. You could say that about WOW, LOTRO, Rift, FF, GW2, etc. Maybe not heavily "lobbied" games like NW but most are.

Single player ES games have one-of quests and long, chained quest arcs as well as limited vertical progression, loading screens, invisible world walls, limited crafting, no house building - just decorating... 

And yet there are all kinds of self-declared BIG TES FANs who insist that Skyrim is a sandbox and ESO is a themepark on rails when in fact they are remarkably similar with their mix of freedom (exploration, character development, etc.) and their long, involved, quest-driven story Arcs.

It's just one example of what I see as the hypocrisy of big budget MMO demonizing where every feature gets scrutinized and mostly found wanting and the pass that indy KS games get in the same respect,

I'm a gamer and I have no horse in this race. I hold them all to the same standard: if shitty graphics or art style, bad support, buggyness, etc. bothers me in a AAA MMO, they will also bother me in an indy low-budget one,

I didn't originally even respond to the OP in this thread, I responded to someone else who made a comment about smelling trouble because this is the 2nd KS for this game.

The OP then responded to me to chastise me for my sarcasm. Presumably because indy KS games should have no sarcastic comments directed at them.

The ESO connection? Simply that I had been following a different thread here today where the OP of this one had made the following post:

Originally posted by flguy147

Suprised people are calling it a WOW clone.

You are spot on................. it is a SWTOR clone.

.., see, I dislike selective hall monitoring. If he'd let my sarcasm about indy KS games slide, like I did with his in the other thread, that would have been the end of it.

Capice?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DeathageDeathage Member CommonPosts: 146

Man, lots of people shitting on you here. Thanks for the info, I had yet to see a more-or-less comprehensive list of "cool features" posted anywhere. I will definitely check this game out in beta, but am on the fence as to whether or not to make a monetary pledge just yet. Definitely one to look for, though.

Calm yourselves, people

The next time I see an OP in this forum as positive and enthusiastic as yours is about a game that isn't an indie KS, I'll stop being sarcastic about how mmorpg.com chic it is to cheer exclusively for the unknown little guys... deal?

BTW... I obviously follow the Repop as well.... I think that was in there somewhere amid my sarcasm.

Well probably you missed the thousands of positive and  over-enthusiastic threads about SWTOR, GW2 and TSW prior release (Can't say the same people didn't change their mind after release though).

What about the positive ones about Wildstar and EQNext?

In fact the only AAA MMO who is having a hard time to gather some support is ESO.

So I don't understand what you are blubbing about........

In fact AAA Themeparks already have tons of positive press and crazy Fanboys to support them, so if sometimes few threads in support of Indie games pops up, it shouldn't disturb you too much.

So it must be really easy then for you to find one here in The Pub to link... I'll wait.

BTW...blubbing is not a word... I think you meant "blubbering." 

And yes, we all know very well how you take every opportunity to tell us how ESO is nothing like the ES  series in contrast to the opinion of practically every single person who has actually played it in beta or at a show ... presumably because you consider that particular single player themepark, where you get to choose the order in which you take the rides, a sandbox.

I see trendy people trending...

ES games are world sims with the game inside.

ES was never considered a themepark any more than GTA was or star wars for that matter.

That has nothing to do with trends.

ES games are no more "world sims" than most MMOs. You could say that about WOW, LOTRO, Rift, FF, GW2, etc. Maybe not heavily "lobbied" games like NW but most are.

Single player ES games have one-of quests and long, chained quest arcs as well as limited vertical progression, loading screens, invisible world walls, limited crafting, no house building - just decorating... 

And yet there are all kinds of self-declared BIG TES FANs who insist that Skyrim is a sandbox and ESO is a themepark on rails when in fact they are remarkably similar with their mix of freedom (exploration, character development, etc.) and their long, involved, quest-driven story Arcs.

It's just one example of what I see as the hypocrisy of big budget MMO demonizing where every feature gets scrutinized and mostly found wanting and the pass that indy KS games get in the same respect,

I'm a gamer and I have no horse in this race. I hold them all to the same standard: if shitty graphics or art style, bad support, buggyness, etc. bothers me in a AAA MMO, they will also bother me in an indy low-budget one,

I didn't originally even respond to the OP in this thread, I responded to someone else who made a comment about smelling trouble because this is the 2nd KS for this game.

The OP then responded to me to chastise me for my sarcasm. Presumably because indy KS games should have no sarcastic comments directed at them.

The ESO connection? Simply that I had been following a different thread here today where the OP of this one had made the following post:

Originally posted by flguy147

Suprised people are calling it a WOW clone.

You are spot on................. it is a SWTOR clone.

.., see, I dislike selective hall monitoring. If he'd let my sarcasm about indy KS games slide, like I did with his in the other thread, that would have been the end of it.

Capice?

I see what you are saying.

World sim games usually have some form of permanence, or a the perception of. This is usually the sandboxy parts as in building, but can also be destroying or changing, but whatever it is, it stays until someone alters it.

To take that experience away from an IP known for it is where the complaining sources from. ES games are closer to UO and SWG only with darker more gritty worlds.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    The game sounds neat, but I don't know if it is for me. It's hard to tell how far along they are too.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

Why don't they exist ? They can see then, use them, and they have an effect on their game...how can something that does all that not exist ?

How is that anything like giving someone money, that never actually does what they say they'll do with it ? One is being lied to, the other is just someone that puts a different value on money than you do.

Pretty terrible example.

Whatever use or effect those items have, they have them because the devs put it there. It doesn't exist. It is a lie in order to charge money. XP potions exist because devs required xp to level and control the rate of xp. You are a sap for buying into this.

Sound familiar? Just replace sap with sucker.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I'll gladly test it if given access the normal way (by luck). I'll gladly give it a go when it's a product available for DL. Until then I'll play the games that are already available.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Pretty terrible example.

Whatever use or effect those items have, they have them because the devs put it there. It doesn't exist. It is a lie in order to charge money. XP potions exist because devs required xp to level and control the rate of xp. You are a sap for buying into this.

You could make the same argument about the entire game you're playing. They make them to charge you money. Trying to say this is ok but that makes you a sap/sucker is just your personal opinion. Your logic on this is still bad.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by kilun
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Tired of Kickstarter...

Tired of "sandbox" games that will have it all but but are not yet released or funded...

This ones new though. "SWG Vets put your money where your mouth is". This isnt SWG. This isnt even out yet. This isnt even funded yet.

"show how much you really cared about SWG by supporting The Repopulation. "

Wait, what? I can show how much I cared about SWG by throwing my money at an empty promise?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

-IDK, might turn out to be a lovely game but this is the spammiest , spam I have ever seen and I have have heard these promises before on a million "sandboxs" that will give me the SWG "feeling"- Didnt MO even try that once with some spammers? 

Since majority of people on these forums don't like to read before replying i will copy paste for you an important part of the kickstarter.

We are nearing the point of the game, pushing from alpha into beta testing. We intend to start beta preview events in March, with beta following soon after. With us reaching this stage, we're at the point of trying to decide which fringe features will make or miss the games launch. We have a number of features that are on the bubble, and could easily be pushed to post-launch. Though if we had a little extra funding we could also bring on some additional hands to squeeze them into launch.

Every MMO till its release is an empty promise by the way. And this game is already funded. This Kickstarter is to squeeze in some more features but even if this kickstarter fails the game is still going to launch.

Next time try reading before replying.

You know, this is the 2nd kickstarter campaign they have ran.  That alone should send up flags.  This game also is not already "funded" otherwise it would not need kickstarter.  Kickstarter is to help get more funding.  It maybe able to launch in its current state, but to me it can not without the added funding from kickstarter to get all that it needs.

@ste2000, thanks for the reply about the harvesting methods.

Indeed. I looked at this game a year ago and liked what I HEARD (nothing much to see) ...good things. Lots of talk and very little progress in this one.

But then, it's an indie Kickstarter (twice over even!) so we must love it to pieces. It's the law in this forum. image

Uhhh..  In both Kickstarters now, they weren't asking for much money.  Look at Star Citizen, still collecting funds even well after their stated $33M goal to fully fund the game.  I don't see a problem at all with a second kickstarter for Repop.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by Deathage

Man, lots of people shitting on you here. Thanks for the info, I had yet to see a more-or-less comprehensive list of "cool features" posted anywhere. I will definitely check this game out in beta, but am on the fence as to whether or not to make a monetary pledge just yet. Definitely one to look for, though.

Calm yourselves, people

Not meaning to condone the bickering but it's nothing unusual.

As for the thread I have only one issue.

It's not that The Repopulation isn't similar in many ways to SWG before the much maligned changes to SWG. From the quintessential SWG crafting system to more minor and less unique things like possible professions such as beast tamers and entertainers it definitely is similar. If the repopulation delivers what it promises than I don't see any problem with someone pleading to the SWG fans to back because it's a similar game.

I also don't see a huge problem with free to play games that allow you to buy currency. Wurm is a sandbox game that got away with it for years without killing the experience, Eve does it via plex and I'm sure you could think of a far larger list of themepark games that still deliver a good experience whilst selling virtual goods.

I don't have a problem with multiple kickstarters. Crowdfunding has been responsible for many games (games that I've enjoyed) getting made that would normally have never got made because they lacked a publisher. MMOs are very expensive and I'd like to see more examples of games like star citizen not less. It's an extremely ambitious game (some claim too ambitious for 35 mil) and multiple pushes for funding have allowed it to be so ambitious.

The only problem I have, and it's a huge one, is the unknown. I haven't any real solid third party information regarding the status of the test/game. I've read updates on the site but I've been burned believing crap like that and people who consider it proof before. That's the only reason I'm not on the fence and haven't backed. It's a fairly ambitious game and the amount of money they have and are raising sounds incredibly low to me. The counter argument is that it's already functional so have faith but as far as I'm concerned the functionality or lack of remains to be seen.

Pretty terrible example.

You could make the same argument about the entire game you're playing. They make them to charge you money. Trying to say this is ok but that makes you a sap/sucker is just your personal opinion. Your logic on this is still bad.

buying convenience from the people who control the convenience being bad for the consumer isn't a personal opinion. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Another KS? Please .....

Sure ... if you want to buy wishful thinking .. be my guest. Just don't count me in.

If there is a complete game with a demo, i would give it a look. Until then, i will let others spend their time & money on game development.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Just to clarify something.
    I understand people being skeptical about a game in development but the Repop id not vaporware.
    They showcased the game in several gameshows and the game is going Beta probably in June 2014, to be relesed before Xmas.
    No one is forcing people to give them money of course, but saying that this game has nothing to show it is incorrect.
    I understand some people have a limited budget, but that didn't stop Star Citizen collecting $35 Million, and that game isn't even in Alpha.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    [mod edit]

No one is forcing you to read anything. If it really annoys you that much why even click on a thread with a title like this?

Besides only a fool wouldn't be a little skeptical of KS projects. Do you really just throw your money at things and say that whatever the company comes out with will be good enough? If so marketers must absolutely love you.

I've never played SWG BTW :)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Really do not know why the Repopulation is being touted as the next 'SWG', nothing i've read about the game is really all that encouraging, either from the game engine ( Hero Engine !! image) to it not having, afaik any space combat aka JTLS involved, instead its some kind of PVP orientated game, which SWG wasn't it had 3 factions, sort of, Imp Reb and Neutral, does Repopulation have a neutral faction that can't be attacked by either of the others? not much fun for crafters trying to set up a business then.

But given its using the Hero engine, i wouldn't contribute to the game simply because i have zero confidence in that engines capabilities to actually support an MMO. If they actually manage to make the thing work, which is a huge 'if' imo, then that is the point that i might 'buy' into the game, but certainly not until after the game is released in full, and not some 'beta' version. There are just too many red flags on this one, which isn't that i think that its vapour ware, or that the Devs are not trying their best. I just don't believe in the tools their attempting to use.image